[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Jetfire, Ingenious Scientist

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Sun Titan was my first promo card back from his 1st print run.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

The Titan cycle is sweet - big, splashy creatures that generate some immediate value, but they also have an attack trigger to encourage you to both protect them and attack. There has definitely been some power creep over the years, but the Titans are still at the upper end of 6-drop options.
  • Primeval Titan is banned, and rightly so. Fetching up Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers, or Thespian's Stage + Dark Depths, or Field of the Dead + whatever... there are a lot of very powerful lands in the format, and the fact that Golos, Tireless Pilgrim was also banned suggests that the ability to fetch up nonbasics is still very powerful.
  • Sun Titan is a nice piece of recursion. For a long time, it was one of White's few options for card advantage - recurring a fetchland or value critter every turn is quite nice. It's gone down a bit in value since stuff like Serra Paragon has been printed and added more options to White's toolbox, but still a solid pick.
  • Grave Titan is bizarrely expensive, but I guess it hasn't been reprinted in meaningful amounts. I don't think it's amazing, but it does pump out a ton of bodies - very much quantity over quality, and it makes ground combat into a massive headache for attackers.
  • Inferno Titan is a bit weak in a vacuum, but still worth consideration if you can give it haste or have other synergies. I once cloned it several times with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker in my Samut deck, which represented... a lot of damage. 3 damage isn't a lot, but it certainly adds up.
  • Frost Titan I think is a bit too weak these days - it's hard to justify just tapping something down when there are options like Bladegriff Prototype and All-Seeing Arbiter that do so much more. It also suffers a bit from its keyword being made generic - ward is somewhat common on large beaters these days, such as Kairi, the Swirling Sky.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

These are all bad. What does prime time have that Colossal Dreadmaw doesn't have? It generates a little value? It's okay to stop chasing the value. Just take your dino and get in people's face.

;)
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
There's only one playable titan legal in EDH.
Is it Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Sun Titan is my personal favorite, Inferno Titan is fun with any kind of synergistic thing, and I have seen the mega flex that is Grave Titan's deathtouch actually mattering.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
It's Day Man.

I guess the blue one is okay as a control top end finisher card for budget decks, but that's about it. Ol' Gravy is one of the most overrated cards in the format.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » 1 year ago

I think about Sun Titan every time I see the Angelic Renewal in my pile of EDH cards. Sometimes, I think it's a magnet for ill will at the table, so I'm never actually sleeving it up. Inferno Titan made it into a Torbran, Thane of Red Fell deck that I briefly had. It's a great classic. Maybe I'll make Ruhan of the Fomori Giant Tribal.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
It's Day Man.

I guess the blue one is okay as a control top end finisher card for budget decks, but that's about it. Ol' Gravy is one of the most overrated cards in the format.
You could do worse. I remember finishing matches in Nin, the Pain Artist with Dumbledore Sphinx.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 1 year ago

Inferno Titan is one of my favorite cards of all time. It is not a subtle or complicated counterpart to Mirrorweave, but it's darn effective at straight up murdering people.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

Can we talk about the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 promo arts? I bought these a long time ago, and while the Kaldheim frame SLD ones are pretty cool, these ones have a special place in my heart.

ironic gesture

Post by ironic gesture » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
Can we talk about the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 promo arts? I bought these a long time ago, and while the Kaldheim frame SLD ones are pretty cool, these ones have a special place in my heart.
The art on those is very sweet. The shadows look especially good for some reason.
Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
I feel like I am often "right" about cards that the hivemind is wrong on, but the Titan cycle is one where boy-oh-boy was I wrong. I had pegged Prime Time as the worst of the bunch, a total "win more" card, and dramatically underestimated how good tutoring for any land was.
I did the same thing! But at least we can admit when we were wrong and that's worth a lot!

3drinks

Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
I feel like I am often "right" about cards that the hivemind is wrong on, but the Titan cycle is one where boy-oh-boy was I wrong. I had pegged Prime Time as the worst of the bunch, a total "win more" card, and dramatically underestimated how good tutoring for any land was. Card is banned and needs to stay that way. In hindsight it's silly how wrong I was - casting Explosive Vegetation but for any land is clearly an order of magnitude better than casting Arc Lightning or the other effects of other titans.
Don't beat yourself up. At least you're not the people in the spoiler thread for YawgWin.

"Three mv, smh literally unplayable."

"Should have said draw a card."

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Don't beat yourself up. At least you're not the people in the spoiler thread for YawgWin.

Back in the day I was notoriously wrong for underrating a certain equipment but considering I came from a Vintage background as it turns out *checks notes* I was right.

It was interesting seeing people calling Will a bad card. EDH players are infamously bad at card evaluation.

Yatsufusa

Post by Yatsufusa » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
Same here, together with the Prerelease Foil Sun Titan and the Grand Prix Promo Primeval Titan, I considered them to be the "alternate art" Titans way before this current era of everything having alternate arts. I keep them in my "multiplayer deckbox" to use as deciding "dice" in the case of a 5-player prismatic game.

Primeval Titan is rightfully banned. I was there when it free and boy it was no exaggeration when I say every theft/bribery/reanimation effect gunned after it instead of win-conditions because it enables the acceleration of showing off what your deck can do too well that games basically revolved around it. It's basically the poster child of "I cannot trust the community to play with this card fairly", myself included.

Sun Titan probably is the most powerful of the legal titans. The nature of the format keeps it in check the same way it does for Lurrus of the Dream-Den. That being said, as a recursion piece and not a combo one I personally find it rather bland, even if it is effective, so I haven't actually run the card in a long time (I still do have one in the waiting box in case I change my mind, because I do still respect its power/effectiveness enough to retain it there).

Grave Titan probably follows in the power ranks. 10/10 spread across 3 bodies (and 4/4 across 2 more if it attacks immediately) is still effective, even if they're all just stats. Yeah, shame it isn't a zombie and deathtouch on a 6/6 can be underwhelming, but honestly I don't need more removal magnets stuck on my zombie token generator. My favorite of the titans because I run on Timmy-brain in the format, it's the pet card of my Grimgrin deck. I even acquired a second copy of the promo so I could play it without having to take from the original set of 5.
Fun fact: That promo has its artist credit wrong (Nils Hamm was the artist of original version, so it was likely a copy-paste error on WotC's end). The actual artist is Lucas Graciano and I have one of my copies signed by him just to remind myself of the fact (also, I'm pretty sure I only acquired my second copy after that signing).

Inferno Titan is... whelming in Commander. 3 damage that can be split anyway cannot be underestimated, but from experience it isn't a far cry to also say it can be underwhelming in a lot of situations that to be honest it fell off the radar faster than Sun Titan did. It's not a bad card, of course, decent even, but after so many years of power, decent no longer makes the cut.

Frost Titan has honestly always been the weakest of the lot and the multiplayer nature of the format works even harder against it. The only time I think I remembered it being threatening was in Limited games... and that's about it.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
It's Day Man.

"Playable" in EDH, a casual format :thinking:

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

RedCheese wrote:
1 year ago
Hey, if you have fun losing with Art Featuring Hats tribal, who am I to correct you?

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
I feel like I am often "right" about cards that the hivemind is wrong on, but the Titan cycle is one where boy-oh-boy was I wrong. I had pegged Prime Time as the worst of the bunch, a total "win more" card, and dramatically underestimated how good tutoring for any land was. Card is banned and needs to stay that way. In hindsight it's silly how wrong I was - casting Explosive Vegetation but for any land is clearly an order of magnitude better than casting Arc Lightning or the other effects of other titans.

My biggest win is being spot on when Tarmogoyf and Oko, Thief of Crowns were spoiled.

My biggest fail is not understanding the hype behind Endurance and Prismatic Ending.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

3drinks

Friday, November 11th, 2022; Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern

Oh boy..................................

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

I actually think this is a really neat idea, rewarding you with actual value for interacting with your opponent, problem is it's just too easy and there are no limits on it.

I was excited when Lorcan, Warlock Collector was spoiled, he feels like a "fixed" tergrid.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Never played against this. Looks annoying but not any more so than Chulane, Teller of Tales/Korvold, Fae-Cursed King. Seems weaker and thus significantly less annoying than those guys by a decent chunk actually?

Not that that's a particularly impressive bar to clear. Everyone mostly hates this because it steals stuff more than anything else right?

RedCheese

Never faced agaisnt her, but i can tell shes a kill on sight card. A card that rewards you by using very disruptive and rather anoying cards like discard and Gravepact effects. She absically take out the one for one nature of these cards. I can see why shes a salty commander

RedCheese

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
RedCheese wrote:
1 year ago
Hey, if you have fun losing with Art Featuring Hats tribal, who am I to correct you?
Nice hyperbole. Theres a huge gap between that and cEDH cards.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I've played against Tegrid a few times, and I would best compare the experience to having a nosebleed ruin your favorite sweater. Sometimes it happens because you were punched in the face, other times you might be too anemic, but it sucks all the same.

@RedCheese I think you posted in the wrong thread, friend.

Edit: nevermind ignore me I can't %$#% read forgive me
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I haven't seen anyone play a Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern deck, nor play her in the 99. It's a deck I considered building when Tergrid was revealed, but I quickly decided against doing so - it felt like the deck would sort of build itself, and it would be a pretty linear deck without much replay value. Fun to do once, but not something that I would want to play regularly.

...on the flip side, I considered running Tergrid in the 99 of my Teysa deck, but I'm not running enough support to justify her inclusion. Maybe if I were running Merciless Executioner / Sadistic Hypnotist / etc, but those aren't in my current build. I suppose she combos with Grave Pact, but that's extremely win-more.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”