Ranting about a salty concession

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

I just lost a game to a player saltily resigning and I'm seething, so I'm gonna complain about it.

I was playing Ebondeath, Dracolich (link in sig), I was playing against a Rafiq of the Many, a Sheoldred, the Apocalypse, and a Sythis, Harvest's Hand.

Sythis, Harvest's Hand is already knocked out. Rafiq of the Many is in the position to kill either one of us on his next turn. I'm at 10 life, my turn.

Draw for turn knocks me to 8 life. I cast Final Parting putting Batterskull in hand. I've already dealt 13 commander damage to Rafiq of the Many and I can't cast+equip batterskull this turn, so I swing at Sheoldred, the Apocalypse. I'm in a tight spot and I'm slowly dieing to Sheoldred, the Apocalypse but I'm pretty sure Rafiq of the Many will kill Sheoldred, the Apocalypse player next turn, and then I can surprise Rafiq of the Many with Batterskull and win. If Rafiq of the Many does song at me, I'm holding up Murderous Cut so I can kill it and hopefully figure it out from there. Sheoldred, the Apocalypse is very upset that I swing at him, saying I should hit Rafiq of the Many since he's clearly winning, I stand my ground and insist that I want to attack him. I pass the turn to Sheoldred, the Apocalypse. He plays Gray Merchant of Asphodel with 9 devotion. I'm forced to make the only play I have that doesn't kill me on the spot and cast Murderous Cut targeting Sheoldred, the Apocalypse. Sheoldred player flips out complaining about me targeting him. I point out that I literally die if I don't kill Sheoldred, and lower his devotion. He insists that I'm going to die anyways and I'm just king making. He resigns on the spot and I die to Rafiq of the Many. If Rafiq of the Many had to waste a turn killing Sheoldred, the Apocalypse then I would have won at 1 life.

I'm just extra frustrated cause I played from behind all game and only managed to stick in that long through playing smart and using a lot of politicks, to carefully navigate that game and get into a potentially winning position only to lose cause someone's salty...

Also, what out was he playing to? If he had killed me with Gary, he would have died as well, it would have been better to let me live and try to convince Rafiq of the Many to kill me first, buying a turn and hoping he topdecks something.

So yeah, if he had played smart or not rage quit I had a shot. I get really competitive so I'm just frustrated at the moment.

Tldr: if you find yourself in a losing position where resigning will significantly affect the outcome of the game, please hang in there out of respect for the other players.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago

Tldr: if you find yourself in a losing position where resigning will significantly affect the outcome of the game, please hang in there out of respect for the other players.
my group has agreed on the rule that you can only concede at sorcery speed so that any triggers will resolve.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

@Hermes_ that doesn't affect this situation though. The dynamic is that rafiq has to choose between two opponents, with @Dunadain hoping he'll choose the other guy. Other guy scoops, rafiq player doesn't need to choose and Dunadain gets killed 100%. Sorcery speed scoop but it does change the game outcome.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Sometimes you get outplayed, sometimes you lose to %$#%$#%. It's the nature of multiplayer and part of why I think multiplayer magic is inherently anti-competitive. If everyone was a game theory genius, maybe, but usually people's logic is far from up to that standard.

I dunno. I would talk to that player and explain where you were at when things went south. It sounds like Sheoldred also got very competitive, and because your path to victory was hidden, it could look like kingmaking from the outside. Maybe if they know that your play was tactically driven, they'll resent it less. Usually people take more umbrage with seemingly arbitrary inconveniences than inconveniences they can grok.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

That sounds very frustrating. If anyone's kingmaking in that scenario, it's the Sheoldred player. First by playing Gary and then by scooping. Sheoldred had a solid argument for why Rafiq should swing at you -- you just tutored, and could be in a position to win if they die first -- but instead they attempt to kill you in a way that guarantees they die to Rafiq (at least, so far as you can tell -- was there any chance they could have killed Rafiq with commander damage? Was Rafiq at a low enough life total that the two damage could conceivably have made the difference to get to lethal?) and get irrationally angry when you play to your outs, scooping and giving the game to Rafiq instead. And to top it off, they accuse you of kingmaking for what is obviously at a bare minimum playing to your outs? Definitely get why you'd be frustrated by that. Seems like a very unpleasant way to end a game of Commander.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Sometimes you get outplayed, sometimes you lose to %$#%$#%. It's the nature of multiplayer and part of why I think multiplayer magic is inherently anti-competitive. If everyone was a game theory genius, maybe, but usually people's logic is far from up to that standard.

I dunno. I would talk to that player and explain where you were at when things went south. It sounds like Sheoldred also got very competitive, and because your path to victory was hidden, it could look like kingmaking from the outside. Maybe if they know that your play was tactically driven, they'll resent it less. Usually people take more umbrage with seemingly arbitrary inconveniences than inconveniences they can grok.
Yeah, the next day this all sounds very reasonable but in the heat of the moment I was pissed. I am at least happy that I handled the loss with good sportsmanship unlike the Sheoldred, the Apocalypse player, lol.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I don't mind if people concede when they aren't in the game but I would rather they do it at sorcery speed (aka on their turn with nothing on the stack). I don't want someone to keep playing if they aren't having fun and in general there are times where someone just isn't in a game but is being used as a punching bag to generate value from someone else and I would rather they just bow out.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 1 year ago

yeah it bothers me when people slat concede like that. I mean I get if people aren't having fun because of how far behind they are, but I hate when people get ultra salty about losing when nothing is at stake

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Honestly even if you're not in the game it's common courtesy to stick around and let things play out. I'll make an exception against people who are otherwise being rude in some way but usually I just take my lumps.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

Even in the early days of EDH, we called this "douche scooping".

Sometimes after the game, I'll try and explain a line of play to someone who feels put upon, but on occasion, there are players who just won't have it. I decline future games with them (This has happened only once in my entire EDH career).

brainface

Post by brainface » 1 year ago

I think calling the concession a problem is a red herring--it sounds like the Sheoldred player was consistently being a poor sport. Like, of course you stop gray merchant from killing you. How is letting Sheoldred eliminating you not kingmaking but gambling with a Rafiq turn is? They were trying to badger you into letting them win. Or if your assessment is correct, trying to badger you into letting them get second place! That's the problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”