Unreleased and New Card Discussion

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
Is Jin-Gitaxias actually wearing pants?
Looks like roughly the same skirt he was wearing in the original (Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur.)
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

Boseiju, Who Endures looks like it's going to be everywhere, the cost to run it is so low (assuming you run a singleton of it) the free land is not to be underestimated, but this means that every green deck can run maindeck artifact/enchantment/tech -land hate. I tend to be wrong about cards a lot, but this looks really good.

Spirited Companion is another 2 drop cantriping creature to add to the list, I'll have to re-visit my Emiel deck.

The Reality Chip is interesting, seems strong as a commander and I'd consider building it if it wasn't for the fact that mono-blue has always been the least interesting color imo. I love playing decks with blue, but mono blue just feels... lopsided.

Tamiyo's Compleation, Song of the Dryads effects are the new (not so new by now) tuck effects of EDH, and this one has flash. I imagine this will spark some interest in Dirk's Phelddagrif thread, not sure if it's better than Immovable Rod but flash is exciting. I can certainly see it being played elsewhere, but the competition for this effect is getting steeper and steeper.

Kyodai, Soul of Kamigawa *sigh* Wizard continues to print mono colored commanders that can head 5-color decks, this one doesn't seem particularly strong, but I wish they'd just stop all together.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 2 years ago

A new Shrine confirmed on the day Sisay, Weatherlight Captain is the RCotD...coincidence? I think not!

I'm not sure why it's a creature but I do like that they've chosen another distinct turn step for the trigger, to distinguish the Go-Shintai from the Honden and Sanctums. The white Go-Shintai is similar to a colour-shifted version of Honden of Life's Web, so I wonder if all of them will follow this?

Regardless, more Shrines means fewer slots in Sisay for actually powerful cards, which will dilute the deck and make it more enjoyable to play against. (Not entirely sure if this will be the final outcome; not being an enchantress deck may mean breaking away from playing all available Shrines. Hmm...)

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

Kodama of the West Tree looks amusing - it can provide a lot of ramp, but also requires a fair amount of enabling. Probably at its best with hydras and other +1/+1 counter-based creatures. Hmmm...

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 2 years ago

Scrap Welder looks nuts. That's not a tap ability, can generate mana with the right mana rocks, and can be looped with artifacts that clone.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
Scrap Welder looks nuts. That's not a tap ability, can generate mana with the right mana rocks, and can be looped with artifacts that clone.
It's tap, not one red mana.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 2 years ago

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
tstorm823 wrote:
2 years ago
It's tap, not one red mana.
That makes significantly more sense. For those reading this in the future when the card image is fixed, the card image had one red mana as the activation cost when I wrote that.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Dunadain
I like turtles

March of Otherworldly Light is interesting, the fact that Prismatic Ending can destroy stuff on curve is what makes it so good, this can't unless you're willing to to get a 1 for 2. I thought maybe it might work in a combo deck as a way to get rid of Leyline of the Void and co. as a combo deck doesn't really care about CA, but I can't think of a combo deck that runs enough white cards for the alternate cost to be reliable.

Having said all of that, it is flexible, instant speed, exiling removal. So maybe I'm underestimating it? Don't get me wrong, I think it's good, but It would only go in a deck where a playset of Prismatic Endings and Swords to Plowshares were not enough. Maybe in modern where your competing with Path to Exile? Though path is played a lot less in modern these days.

I don't know, it seems powerful, but just not quite good enough. Having said that, I was one of those people that thought people were overreacting when Prismatic Ending was spoiled and oh boy was I wrong about that one.

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago
March of Otherworldly Light is interesting, the fact that Prismatic Ending can destroy stuff on curve is what makes it so good, this can't unless you're willing to to get a 1 for 2. I thought maybe it might work in a combo deck as a way to get rid of Leyline of the Void and co. as a combo deck doesn't really care about CA, but I can't think of a combo deck that runs enough white cards for the alternate cost to be reliable.

Having said all of that, it is flexible, instant speed, exiling removal. So maybe I'm underestimating it? Don't get me wrong, I think it's good, but It would only go in a deck where a playset of Prismatic Endings and Swords to Plowshares were not enough. Maybe in modern where your competing with Path to Exile? Though path is played a lot less in modern these days.

I don't know, it seems powerful, but just not quite good enough. Having said that, I was one of those people that thought people were overreacting when Prismatic Ending was spoiled and oh boy was I wrong about that one.
This is the commander section, we don't do playsets :P

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 2 years ago

Boseijiu, who Endures seems like an awful card to play against when combined with Loam in non-combo metas. Given a lot of graveyard hate is through artifacts and enchantments, this makes it a lot more difficult to stop the loop, especially with Life from the Loam already being troublesome when combined with cycling lands.
I also struggle to identify the flavor in it destroying non-basic lands.
Intuition into Loam plus Boseijiu and one of the other channel lands seems crazy strong in 75% to set you up for the rest of the game.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

capitacommunist wrote:
2 years ago
Boseijiu, who Endures seems like an awful card to play against when combined with Loam in non-combo metas. Given a lot of graveyard hate is through artifacts and enchantments, this makes it a lot more difficult to stop the loop, especially with Life from the Loam already being troublesome when combined with cycling lands.
I also struggle to identify the flavor in it destroying non-basic lands.
Intuition into Loam plus Boseijiu and one of the other channel lands seems crazy strong in 75% to set you up for the rest of the game.
It's crazy strong, but also allows the opponent to grab any land with a basic land type. So Duals/Shocks/Triomes/etc, as well as Mystic Sanctuary and co., Mistveil Plains and Dryad Arbor. It'll be a staple for sure and is fantastic with Loam and Intuition, but the replacement ramp is not negligible. And maybe it'll force people to finally run more graveyard hate.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

Very rarely is removal too pushed. Considering what constitutes a threat in modern magic, we could use more removal lands, not less.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
Is Jin-Gitaxias actually wearing pants?
Looks like roughly the same skirt he was wearing in the original (Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur.)
It's not a skirt, it's a kilt.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

Can't wait to slip new Boseiju, Who Endures with the new Green Dragon spirit in Karador, Ghost Chieftain to set up some card advantage with it, cycle lands, and Volrath's Stronghold. Boseiju is pushed for sure. Black Channel land and Black Spirit dragon will get a serious look as well.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 years ago

I still don't get the appeal of prismatic ending. I guess it's more of a modern thing? It seems awful in commander.

March of OL seems pretty solid. The cost is steep without discarding but it's nice to have. And the discard option seems good to have too when you really need it (i.e. to break a combo). The tricky part is having enough white card available outside of mono-white.

Is it Phelddagriffable? I'm not sure yet but it's definitely on the radar. Flexibility is great, and paying full retail isn't impossible for that deck.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Prismatic Ending is absolutely a modern thing. I have not seen in EDH, though I guess it could work in 3+ color decks in fast metas? Still seems niche compared to Generous Gift and similar.

Dunadain
I like turtles

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Prismatic Ending is absolutely a modern thing. I have not seen in EDH, though I guess it could work in 3+ color decks in fast metas? Still seems niche compared to Generous Gift and similar.
Yeah, sorry I got carried away in my musings. Prismatic ending is nothing special in edh, in fact it's kind of bad. In other formats however it's nuts, not just modern. I only play modern and legacy, and it's huge in both of those formats but I see no reason why it wouldn't be good in other formats too.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Im 100% going to build a bad very Tatsunari deck!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
Im 100% going to build a bad very Tatsunari deck!
I feel like there is very little middle ground for Tatsunari. It's either hilariously bad (please, run Sigil of Sleep) or it thinks it's okay and then takes over the game.

Third option: you jam the horrible gifts that the BUG gods are always tempting you with by whispering sweet nothings about Rhystic Studies and Necropotences and Sylvan Libraries in your ear in the moments between sleep and waking until you find yourself with an overwhelming board position in the smoky back room of a TGI Fridays with Post Malone, Josh Lee Kwai and a guy who looks like (but isn't) Rob Schneider with no idea how you got there.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 2 years ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
2 years ago

We need to talk about this...

This card is sort of like an amalgam of Electrodominance and Mizzix's Mastery. While a 5cmc card, at 1RRRR at no less, is a bit intense, I do think it has some potential.

It solves the biggest issue of recursion spells not having many targets earlier in the game or having your graveyard exiled. The only way this is a dead card is if you can't manage the 1RRRR to cast it. I wish this was 1RRR or even 2RRR, or 3RR. For this reason it may not make the cut. Perhaps this is only reliable in a mono red deck.

It becomes psuedo ramp/ritual by cheating a 6cmc spell, or essentially allowing you to ritual for 1 and cast 2 spells worth 6cmc. Good targets in this deck will be Mana Geyser Time Spiral. I've also been liking Consuming Tide which would be fantastic at instant speed. Chain Reaction is another one I've been liking.

It acts like a Quicken allowing you to cast sorcery speed spells at instant speed. This is really huge because previously our options for that effect were a bit limited and not exactly worth the card slot. But now we have recursion and ramp built into the same card. This would be an ideal card to copy.
Maybe I'm overestimating this card for Izzet, but I think it could be really interesting in mono R spellslinger. What do you guys think?
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Scrap Welder is disappointing.

Boseiju, Who Endures is stupid.

Assassin's Ink is intriguing for Erebos. The deck runs a high amount of ramp and utility artifacts as well as disruption enchantments, so the odds of it being Hero's Downfall with upside are good.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 years ago

RowanKeltizar wrote:
2 years ago
Maybe I'm overestimating this card for Izzet, but I think it could be really interesting in mono R spellslinger. What do you guys think?
Viewing from the perspective of Mizzix, it definitely looks interesting. I suspect I'm going to end up passing - RRRR is really difficult for my manabase - but the more I read it, the more flexible it seems. I somehow missed both that it can cast from hand and that it is an instant in my first reading, both of which are very relevant. It's not great with X spells, unfortunately, but something like 'flash back Counterspell + Fact or Fiction' seems insane.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

With these phyrexian cards coming

I need to do the same thing I did with dinosaur and get them cheap before they spike for an offical phyrexian tribal legend in 2023/2024/2025

(And yes this includes the red phyrexians)

Dunadain
I like turtles

Lion Sash is white's Scavenging Ooze.

It's easier to grow and it can buff other cards (Esper Sentinel anyone?)

It can't gain life, which is occasionally relevant, but I think I prefer this to ooze (unless you are running Green Sun's Zenith or Summoner's Pact).

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

How do you make white better? Give it green cards!

Love the idea of equipping Lion Sash, wrathing, chewing up GYs, and then attacking with it.

EDIT: The real bummer is this card might be expensive since it should see play in many formats.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”