Unreleased and New Card Discussion

heridfel
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by heridfel » 3 weeks ago

yeti1069 wrote:
3 weeks ago
heridfel wrote:
3 weeks ago
Am I weird for being disappointed in Shifting Woodland? The Delirium trigger requiring at least four card types in the graveyard seems to encourage a lot of multi type cards, and then requiring four mana (not including the land itself) to activate it makes it seem like it will help out some combo decks but otherwise be a marginal card.

Regarding Flare of Cultivation, my ideal sacrifice target would be a T2 Wood Elves off a mana dork/Sol Ring. I already got the value from the sacrificed creature and I am looking at five or six mana on turn 3.
Shifting Woodland is a land that is also sometimes a clone. It's basically Body Double in that misses ETBs. That looks really good to me if you have creatures in the yard with strong activated or static abilities, on-field triggered abilities, attack or damage triggers. It's also good if you just have a fatty in the grave that you want to pound someone with. It's a mana sink for green that doesn't take up a deck slot.
If it weren't for the delirium requirement, I would feel more like the way you feel. It isn't even limited to creatures (though it is limited to your permanents), but I am not playing a self-mill deck and try to have most of my effects creature-based. Even with the assumption that I have a land from something like Boseiju, Who Endures or Strip Mine, I need two more types spread across artifact, enchantment, sorcery, and instant in my graveyard. I am sure it can be effective in the way you describe, but it needs a deck which supports it rather than the other way around.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 weeks ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
3 weeks ago
Disciple of Freyalise // Garden of Freyalise is also very good, but situational draw. I think I play this one 75-80% as a land and sometimes as a late game draw spell, where the more interactive options may get a 50:50 split. But in general having a big refill in the land slot is extremely valuable.
Black having removal or blue having bounce and a counterspell on a land is very strong, but since those colors do those things well already, it's comparatively minor. Green having Disciple of Bolas on a land is unhinged. Sure, green has more basic typing synergy than the other colors, but it also tends to be middle of the road in terms of draw, so having access to what could potentially be explosive card draw with extremely low opportunity cost is wild. At least as a creature, there's so few ways to cheat it into play.
The hardest thing I have with getting these MDFC's in my decks is the visual turmoil I get seeing my actual land count drop below 36. Mentally I know I will have 1 or 2 extra "lands" in the MDFC, but having to reduce the actual land count lower gives me a nervous tick. I'm also a utility land %$#%$#, I'm usually chock full of other repeatable utility lands with more long term value. Though in my mono-color decks I really just need to jam any playable MDFC in place of a few basics and suck it up seeing the land count at 33-34.
I've seen Karsten and other people try to categorize MDFCs as X% land and Y% spell, but to me, this represents a fundamentally flawed understanding of these cards, and I think it explains the problems I'm seeing in people analyze this cycle. Here's the secret:

They're lands.

Sea Gate, Reborn is the archetypal example of this. When deckbuilding, I throw it in the "lands" column because that is its function. Its upside is drawing a boatload of cards. I see them as analogous to channel lands, like Boseiju, Who Endures, because although there are different synergies and interactions because of the technical difference between MDFCs and channel lands, they fulfill the same role: lands with exceptionally low opportunity costs (being nonbasic basics) and upside.

Some of them, like Pendelhaven, have an upside so irrelevant to the outcome of the game that while technically "better than a basic" in a vacuum, you're more likely to fail to find off of a Path to Exile or whatever and have that cost you the game than win because of the pump it provides. Some of them, like Boseiju, Who Endures, are format staples, and if you're not playing them, I'm going to furrow my brow.

They are of course of varying quality but the fact that we're comparing this humble cycle of uncommons to mythics and rares from sets just a few years old is telling.

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 3 weeks ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 weeks ago
Destory this the moment it enters if the deck it's being used in is a poison/infect deck

When set releases and some uncommons go really really low because people need to make their money back I'll pick literally 50 of this dude and the dyno that has energy cascade. they strong

capitacommunist

Post by capitacommunist » 3 weeks ago

yeti1069 wrote:
3 weeks ago
The red one is solid as basically an alternative to Demolition Field. It has the downsides of specifically needing mana instead of , is more easily counterable, doesn't replace itself for you, and can't be used as an untapped land until you have something you need to remove. That last point is the biggest for me, but if you're running bounce lands, it could be decent.
I see Sundering Eruption much more as a stall breaker / win condition in a land slot with the upside of dealing with utility lands. Not allowing creatures without flying to block should negate 80%+ of the creatures on the board, which is amazing utility in the land slot.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 3 weeks ago

Ruiner wrote:
3 weeks ago
Nadu, Winged Wisdom feels like a card that's gonna get spiraling out of control fast.
"or ability" turned this from neat to obnoxious. When I first saw it, I didn't see that part and immediately went to Scryfall to look for Simic Strive spells (they're all bad) and when I came back and saw that part, I lost interest. Jumping through hoops is part of the fun sometimes. Being insanely rewarded by playing the 30th most popular card in the format (4th most popular colorless option) seems silly.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 weeks ago

All this discussion about the mono-color MDFC's that have actually playable front sides lead me to realize that all 10 of the 2-color MDFC's are now some of the best ETB tapped fixing lands without land types. No matter how unplayable the front side is, having a front side at all is still better than "gain 1 life", or Scry 1, or Deal 1 damage to target opponent. Even some of the other utility duals likely cannot beat the flexibility of these cards even if you never really intend on casting the front side, or it has no synergy with your commander. A turn 10 top deck Temple is not very exciting compared to a Turn 10 Bloodsoaked Insight or Drowner of Truth, or Rush of Inspiration, plus the others that care about having creatures in play can at least target your commander if you are flooding out. I'll have to pick up most all of these now for potential budget brews since they probably take any spot a Temple or even a common dual-typed land would.

duducrash
Still Learning

TheGildedGoose wrote:
3 weeks ago
"or ability" turned this from neat to obnoxious. When I first saw it, I didn't see that part and immediately went to Scryfall to look for Simic Strive spells (they're all bad) and when I came back and saw that part, I lost interest. Jumping through hoops is part of the fun sometimes. Being insanely rewarded by playing the 30th most popular card in the format (4th most popular colorless option) seems silly.
Scute Swarm + Lightning Greaves , draw your entire deck + the roof to make it over the toop? Seems like fairly easy to do it early and realiably

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 weeks ago

Moore stuffff
  • Birthing Ritual does a decent Birthing Pod impression. You don't get the tutor (so no toolboxing), but you can get creatures with the same (or less) MV, which is nice. More importantly, it's only two mana to activate, which is a bargain. I've been a little low on Pod recently because tutoring for a combo piece has lost its luster, but this looks quite nice.
  • Nadu, Winged Wisdom looks absurd. I wish I could run it in Samut. D: It does require some support, but I don't think it's difficult to play something like Retreat to Coralhelm and pop off. The fact that it grants the ability to each of your creatures (so you can trigger twice per turn, per creatures) is nonsense.
  • Eviscerator's Insight looks nice. Is it better than Village Rites or other options? Hard to say, but I do love flashback.
  • Charitable Levy looks nice. Some soft disruption that turns into ramp and replaces itself.
  • Crabomination is hilarious. Not the most impressive 6 mana black creature, but free stuff is nice. I'm generally a bit dubious of stealing my opponents' cards, but getting a choice of 3 should mean you get something useful most of the time.
  • Fanatic of Rhonas might be the best two-mana dork of all time. 1/4 body, potentially taps for four mana, and has eternalize? Seems goooood.
  • Necrodominance continues the 'fixed version of broken old cards' subtheme. Weaker than Necropotence, but still good.
  • Archway of Innovation isn't quite Tolarian Academy, but it does a decent impression. Seeeeems goooood.
  • Imskir Iron-Eater looks like an upgraded Bosh, Iron Golem. There isn't really a good BR artifact commander, so this is nice to see - I'm a fan of Oni-Cult Anvil.
  • Abtruse Appropriation is in a color combination overloaded with removal options, but the potential 2-for-1 seems very nice - exile a problem, then play it for yourself.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 weeks ago

Can somebody clarify Nadu, Winged Wisdom?
Because it gives creatures an ability, does that mean the "triggers twice each turn" is for each creature? So if you have 3x creatures you can get 6x the triggers each turn?

This card seems absurd.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 weeks ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 weeks ago
Can somebody clarify Nadu, Winged Wisdom?
Because it gives creatures an ability, does that mean the "triggers twice each turn" is for each creature? So if you have 3x creatures you can get 6x the triggers each turn?

This card seems absurd.
Yes and yes.

What a horrific card.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 weeks ago

I guess I'm the only one excited about Witch Enchanter, but the subtype is important for my human tribal Éowyn, Shieldmaiden deck. I think I'll replace Eiganjo Castle with it.

Not sure what to cut, if anything, for Charitable Levy.

Guide of Souls goes into cleric tribal, probably cutting General's Enforcer.

Spymaster's Vault is great with madness and Neheb, the Worthy. The Black Gate and Shizo, Death's Storehouse because I want Neheb to connect for his trigger. I'll probably replace basic lands for Fell the Profane in both decks.

[card][/card]
Last edited by NZB2323 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

DirkGently

NZB2323 wrote:
3 weeks ago
I guess I'm the only one excited about Witch Enchanter
I guess witch enchanter is, for me, what Fell the Profane is for @Toshi. FTP is 1 mana more than the marginal-playable Hero's Downfall. Witch enchanter is 1 mana more than Reclamation Sage, which is much more popular, but honestly...I'm off reclamation sage these days. Sorcery speed removal sucks, artifact/enchantment removal can be gotten for much cheaper, and I don't care about the speed bump body.

Objectively it's still pretty decent though. And you're never cutting it from any white-based blink decks.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 weeks ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 weeks ago
NZB2323 wrote:
3 weeks ago
I guess I'm the only one excited about Witch Enchanter
I guess witch enchanter is, for me, what Fell the Profane is for @Toshi. FTP is 1 mana more than the marginal-playable Hero's Downfall. Witch enchanter is 1 mana more than Reclamation Sage, which is much more popular, but honestly...I'm off reclamation sage these days. Sorcery speed removal sucks, artifact/enchantment removal can be gotten for much cheaper, and I don't care about the speed bump body.

Objectively it's still pretty decent though. And you're never cutting it from any white-based blink decks.
When everyone is talking about the white one being terrible, that's what they're talking about, right? Or is there a white Spymaster's Vault that was spoiled?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Mookie

NZB2323 wrote:
3 weeks ago
When everyone is talking about the white one being terrible, that's what they're talking about, right? Or is there a white Spymaster's Vault that was spoiled?
Razorgrass Ambush. It's not bad - roughly equivalent to Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire - but not exciting either.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 3 weeks ago

In my eyes, a card that's going to be a staple in an archetype (Witch Enchanter in blink) is a better card than a half-way decent option in multiple archetypes (Fell the Profane).
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

heridfel

Post by heridfel » 3 weeks ago

Mookie wrote:
3 weeks ago
Moore stuffff
  • Birthing Ritual does a decent Birthing Pod impression. You don't get the tutor (so no toolboxing), but you can get creatures with the same (or less) MV, which is nice. More importantly, it's only two mana to activate, which is a bargain. I've been a little low on Pod recently because tutoring for a combo piece has lost its luster, but this looks quite nice.
  • Fanatic of Rhonas might be the best two-mana dork of all time. 1/4 body, potentially taps for four mana, and has eternalize? Seems goooood.
I am trying to confirm that I am parsing Birthing Ritual properly. If you control a creature, you must look at the top seven cards in your library. You may sacrifice a creature to get a different one. The last sentence is what is throwing me. If you do not sacrifice a creature, does it apply? "The rest" and following a sentence which says "if you do" implies no, but Magic phrasing has gotten confusing before.

One other point I will note on Fanatic of Rhonas is that the Eternalized version is a 4/4, so the Ferocious bonus will apply automatically (barring some global power-reducing effect).

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 weeks ago

I really like birthing ritual! Seven is the sweet spot for resolving quickly and having deck building constraints. I'll play a lot of that card for sure.

Mookie

heridfel wrote:
3 weeks ago
I am trying to confirm that I am parsing Birthing Ritual properly. If you control a creature, you must look at the top seven cards in your library. You may sacrifice a creature to get a different one. The last sentence is what is throwing me. If you do not sacrifice a creature, does it apply? "The rest" and following a sentence which says "if you do" implies no, but Magic phrasing has gotten confusing before.
You'll still need to put them on the bottom even if you don't sacrifice anything.

...and yes, the fact that Fanatic's eternalize turns on ferocious is not lost on me. It really is an absurd card (not that that's particularly unique in MH3).

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 weeks ago

I am really excited for Birthing Ritual in my Henzie "Toolbox" Torre deck as another copy of Industrial Advancement. There are also a lot of big creatures that look like they might be fun to try like Crabomination, Ulamog, the Defiler, and Hideous Taskmaster.

Eviscerator's Insight is also interesting in Henzie because of the flashback. But at the same time, the five for flashback probably means I would only get to flash it back once in a blue moon.

Also, I've been working to transform my Kodama of the West Tree into a Colorless creature ramp deck and I am seeing a lot of goodies for it so far.

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
3 weeks ago
In my eyes, a card that's going to be a staple in an archetype (Witch Enchanter in blink) is a better card than a half-way decent option in multiple archetypes (Fell the Profane).
I think "multiple archetypes" is underselling it. More like, any deck with black that isn't doing something really specific with its lands. It's not going to burn the world down, but it's a solid inclusion basically anywhere.

I think witch enchanter is fine is plenty of decks as well, I just don't like it as much. And yeah the other white one is pretty crap. Eiganjo always enters untapped and can't be easily countered, usually costs about the same, and deals more damage. And Eiganjo was still pretty crap compared to the others.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 3 weeks ago

Don't know where it is from, one of my friends sent it to me, creature tutor on a Saga, feels little slow without proliferating but I am gonna play it in black decks for obvious reasons :rofl:

Don't know how to make the image smaller :?
image0.jpg

duducrash
Still Learning

Avacyn Believer wrote:
3 weeks ago
Don't know where it is from

Apparently is from a site called whatnot that from what I understood is like a twitch merged with ebay where people open and sell stuff.

Tts good that you can tutor + cheat, but its also vulnerable to removal and losing the card. I'm unsure how lore wise Sorin creating Avacyn is a black saga. Was it not to keep order and peace in Innistrad, to fend of the darkness? Seems like white aligned

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 weeks ago

duducrash wrote:
3 weeks ago
I'm unsure how lore wise Sorin creating Avacyn is a black saga. Was it not to keep order and peace in Innistrad, to fend of the darkness? Seems like white aligned
Just to play Devil's Advocate for the flavor:

We know Sorin is a black-aligned Planeswalker at his core. He has white leanings but at the end of the day, black mana is what the man has to work with. Furthermore, creating a being with Avacyn's sheer amount of power and influence has gotta be taxing even for an oldwalker, hence the lifeloss. Think about it: Sorin's basically giving birth to a 21 pound baby and that probably hurts like hell.

In essence, I think the Saga is black because a) the protagonist is black-aligned and b) the story itself reflects a very black-aligned view of problem solving. Sorin had himself a think, conceived a creative solution to innistrad's imminent food chain collapse, and then enacted said solution at significant personal cost. It's less a "black = bad, white = good" thing and more performing actions with good outcomes through somewhat unsavory means (relative to the other factions).
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 weeks ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 weeks ago
We know Sorin is a black-aligned Planeswalker at his core. He has white leanings but at the end of the day, black mana is what the man has to work with. Furthermore, creating a being with Avacyn's sheer amount of power and influence has gotta be taxing even for an oldwalker, hence the lifeloss.
Also in line with how the card itself is mechanically very black.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 weeks ago
Think about it: Sorin's basically giving birth to a 21 pound baby and that probably hurts like hell.
Why would you type this.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”