[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 weeks ago

Can I mention how much I hate the weird system they did with the last un set where there were cards they didn't silver boarder but they marked with acorns to identify that they weren't legal?

Why the hell didn't they just silver boarder the select cards to keep the same freaking system in place?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 weeks ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 weeks ago
Can I mention how much I hate the weird system they did with the last un set where there were cards they didn't silver boarder but they marked with acorns to identify that they weren't legal?

Why the hell didn't they just silver boarder the select cards to keep the same freaking system in place?
The end result was certainly a mess, but the reason is that printing cards with different symbols on the same sheet is totally doable, but however the magic card printing system works, all cards that are part of the same sheet have to have the same border.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 weeks ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 weeks ago
The end result was certainly a mess, but the reason is that printing cards with different symbols on the same sheet is totally doable, but however the magic card printing system works, all cards that are part of the same sheet have to have the same border.
Then just don't mix playable and unplayble in the same set. I still don't see why Nearby Planet couldn't be legal from a rules perspective. I guess there is the power creep question but when has that ever stopped them from allowing something like this to be legal?
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dunadain
I like turtles

I agree, but that's why they can't have different borders in the same set

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 2 weeks ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 weeks ago
I agree, but that's why they can't have different borders in the same set
For each new set there are - sometimes multiple - alternate borders and borderless versions, mixed into boosters. I can imagine that there are some other issues at play here, for instance it could force some specific distrubution of silver- and black-border cards in each booster, but the tech to mix borders certainly exists.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 weeks ago

If I'm going to be thoroughly cynical their decision to drop silver border was another subtle deception intended to get people to buy more of the set who didn't exactly know what it was or how all this works. I don't think there's a technical reason why the silver borders couldn't stay.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 weeks ago

I need advice for art

1 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Forest
1 Snow-Covered Swamp

for my Karador, Ghost Chieftain deck. The deck is abzan midrange grindy as it can be. and I'm low enough in basics to pick whatever I want without being too expensive, now I want flavour wins. normal plains I'm going with a kamigawa cool one. didn't find any that went with the overall feel, could one of those BW recent innistrad ones but I always thik they are swamps, regular swamp its either John Avon or Godzilla. now I'm unsure about this others

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 weeks ago

Has anybody tested HADES 2? It's an absolute blast and I love it as much as the first one, even if it's still in early access. <3

Dunadain
I like turtles

cheonice wrote:
2 weeks ago
Has anybody tested HADES 2? It's an absolute blast and I love it as much as the first one, even if it's still in early access. <3
I'm so excited for that game, but I have a strict no-early-access policy. I'll enjoy the game when it's officially released.

Everything I hear says it's shaping up nicely though.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Dunadain wrote:
2 weeks ago
cheonice wrote:
2 weeks ago
I'm so excited for that game, but I have a strict no-early-access policy. I'll enjoy the game when it's officially released.

Everything I hear says it's shaping up nicely though.
Oh, it is indeed! I've played fully released gams that played way worse. It seems to have more content then the original, even in this early access form. Some artworks are missing, mostly minor stuff and some characters, some game mechanics may follow with the next update. It feels like a full game.

Supergiant Games is probably the only gaming studio that knows how to handle Early Access. They did a great job with the EA of Hades 1, and it seems that they continue their great wirk with Hades 2. Maybe take a break from your policy ;)

Dunadain
I like turtles

cheonice wrote:
2 weeks ago
Supergiant Games is probably the only gaming studio that knows how to handle Early Access. They did a great job with the EA of Hades 1, and it seems that they continue their great wirk with Hades 2. Maybe take a break from your policy ;)
The thing is, even if I did. I don't tend to replay games, even the ones I love. So I feel like I'd have trouble picking the game back up after the full release if I've already experienced half the content in the EA release.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Dunadain wrote:
2 weeks ago
cheonice wrote:
2 weeks ago
The thing is, even if I did. I don't tend to replay games, even the ones I love. So I feel like I'd have trouble picking the game back up after the full release if I've already experienced half the content in the EA release.
Fair enough. Hades is my feel-good-game, I still play a few runs a month and got a bit into its speedrunning scene, even if I'm typically not that competitive with digital games.

May you stay unspoiled til the inevitable release!
Death to Chronos.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 week ago

More silly nonsense from my playgroup-

Had a newcomer last night. I didn't have a set-commander deck with me so I kept switching through decks trying to find something that didn't win. Won with Ghired, Mirror of the Wilds, won with Eris, Roar of the Storm, won with the Stella Lee, Wild Card precon, one with my new Sorrow's Path Wayta, Trainer Prodigy deck...finally lost after switching to Jon's Morska, Undersea Sleuth precon so I stuck with that (ended up 2-2 with it iirc - good god that deck has terrible interaction for a bant deck). Whatever, I win a lot with my local, they suck, nobody cares.

The new guy initially seemed like maybe he knew his business but as time went on it became clear that he did not. Maybe one of those guys that somehow plays the game for 20 years without ever really understanding basic strategy. Anyway at one point he was playing Judith, Carnage Connoisseur - a commander I rated "ugly" and worried me somewhat as I was playing a precon at this point and getting wiped every turn didn't sound particularly fun. Ultimately he played the deck 2 or 3 times and I think maybe cast a board wipe once? Deck seemed honestly awful, he was mostly upgrading random Lightning Bolts into Terminates.

But the funniest part was when he cast Jeska's Will with his commander on board. He asks everyone how many cards they have, I had the most with 5. He casts a couple spells off the mana and ends his turn. I take mine and then pass...and then notice he has a weirdly low number of cards in hand, like 2 cards left, despite starting the previous turn with ~5 and only casting a couple spells on that turn.

So I asked him "hey...what did you exile off of Jeska's Will?" I'd assumed he had cast the exiled spells, but then that didn't really account for his low hand count. So I was thinking maybe he exiled 3 lands or something and I didn't notice.
Him: I didn't exile, I added mana.
Me: You get to do both, your commander is in play.
Him: But I didn't want to exile, every card in this deck is important.
Me: Uh.....*thinks very hard if there's any way to set him straight without basically calling him a moron*....I think that's a mistake but okay.

Makes even less sense considering that not a single card he ever played seemed to be important whatsoever, and he was out of cards a couple turns later and never had any chance for the rest of the game.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 week ago

See Dirk, if you never learn how to actually play the game well. Then you don't have to deal with trying to find a deck weak enough to not win against your play group like you and I.

Sometimes I envy them.

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
1 week ago
See Dirk, if you never learn how to actually play the game well. Then you don't have to deal with trying to find a deck weak enough to not win against your play group like you and I.

Sometimes I envy them.
In theory the problem can be solved with sufficient narcotics, but unfortunately I do need to be capable of driving myself home :( And my ability to play magic is rooted waaaay deeper in my brain than my ability to drive.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 week ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 week ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 week ago

Sometimes I envy them.
In theory the problem can be solved with sufficient narcotics
Anytime I start winning too much, I add another joint to the pregame.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 week ago

I finally saw a Cybertruck out in the wild, and it is way dumber looking in person. My daughter: "why is it made of triangles?"
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 week ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 week ago
I finally saw a Cybertruck out in the wild, and it is way dumber looking in person. My daughter: "why is it made of triangles?"
The more I hear about them the more hilarious I think they are. The fact that they can't manage a car wash without risk of corrosion pleases me endlessly.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 week ago

I saw a rivian and tbh it looks rad as hell. Like a car from that kids cartoon about the tracked trucks but without tracks

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 week ago

I've seen a few cybertrucks in the wild around here and my first thought is always that maybe if you pay more they'll unlock the higher graphics settings.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 week ago

While everything I hear says that the cyber truck is a bad product I genuinely love the look. Modern cars are so cookie cutter, even the "nice ones", that I'm starved for even a crumb of artistic flair.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 week ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 week ago
While everything I hear says that the cyber truck is a bad product I genuinely love the look. Modern cars are so cookie cutter, even the "nice ones", that I'm starved for even a crumb of artistic flair.
Hum, artistic flair is not the words I would use to describe that. It is kinda cool in ps2 graphics cant be rendered better kind of way. I'm looking to swap my car to a more modern, eletric one, but I'm pretty sure I'll go chinese on that, you guys don't get that right? Narrative over here is something like "americans are affraid of chinese cars overtaking it so they banned it"

I don't usually play mtg on fridays, fridays are with my fiancee, but today she had something that I wasnt interested in going and went to the LGS. Boy do I regret it, I usually don't get to meet a lot of people whenever I go to play, I already know people , have a group. Even if we go to the LGS we usually play among ourselves plus 1 or 2 people. Its usually pretty ok. Today someone joined our table. First of all, he didnt even ask, I should've ralized then. He was like "are you guys about to start?" and just sat. didn't ask if there was anyone else, if it was ok to join, powerlevel or whatever, he just sat there. And it was awful. awful like, someone attacks him, he then proceeds to spend several minutes saying why they should not attack him and attack someone else instead. Take several minute turns to a point I would go up, buy a drink, check the singles and get back and it was still his turn, overexplain anything anyone did the "hmmm actually meme" omg I wish I was less of a coward to just say "dude, I want to play with my friends now", I played like 5 bad games and 1 good.

Magic sucks when the gathering sucks

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 week ago

duducrash wrote:
1 week ago
Magic sucks when the gathering sucks
I couldn't agree with this more. I've just about given up on going to Wednesday Commander Night at my LGS because the seatings are random. When the pod is good and I like the people playing in it, it's really good. When it's not, it's so bad. There are a few people that play stax, fast combo, or mass land destruction no matter the table, some that only either have precons or modified precons, and then you have the guys that are like my deck isn't high powered and then try to argue Rhystic Study, Sylvan Library, and Mana Crypt aren't high powered. And I'm like, crap what am I supposed to play to have a good time. Especially when a lot of people have no idea how to analyze threats. I've just about given up playing my Henzie "Toolbox" Torre, Etali, Primal Storm, or Kodama of the West Tree decks since they need to attack each turn. That just pisses people off apparently, even if I am in no way the biggest threat on the board. Counter the Kodama of the East Tree who proceeds to vomit his hand onto the board, no thanks, that guy hasn't attacked me yet. Counter my card draw and bounce one of my creatures even though I have one card in hand, barely have a board compared to the other two, and am at the lowest life total because everyone keeps targeting me, welp, I have been attacking people each turn because I am playing Kodama of the West Tree, so it must be a good play.

Sorry for the rant, but I've had way too many of these sorts of games. And it seems like any sort of attacking is punished harshly even when it shouldn't be and it makes me mad. Because just turtling until you can Alpha someone or trying to combo off are fine every once in a while, but I like combat. I like seeing people's life totals fluctuate. I like push and pull. I like interaction. I don't like having everyone just pass the turn with creatures up because they don't want to draw any ire.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 week ago

When Commander players say crap like "I think it's fun when everyone gets to do their thing," all I hear is "you should all just leave me alone and let me play my cards until I win." Commander is the still my absolute favorite format, but the some of the takes on its ethics are insufferable.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

DirkGently

RxPhantom wrote:
1 week ago
When Commander players say crap like "I think it's fun when everyone gets to do their thing," all I hear is "you should all just leave me alone and let me play my cards until I win." Commander is the still my absolute favorite format, but the some of the takes on its ethics are insufferable.
It's tricky because I think there is a grain of truth to that, but the issue is that a lot of decks make "doing their thing" so far past the event horizon that "doing their thing" means they're basically unstoppable. If "your thing" is "I wanna blink some etbs a couple of times" then fair enough. If your thing is "I wanna resolve Omniscience" then go away.

And then the contributing problem is that wotc keeps printing cards whose thing is inherently insanely dangerous. Like Rowan, Scion of War - it's a 3 drop that, if it lives for a turn, could end the game. So your opponents have to either keep killing her over and over (you don't get to "do your thing" :cry: ) or there's a solid chance they just lose.

I think it's a sentiment that made more sense in 2015 and now has metastasized into something unhealthy.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”