So this got tweeted
let the freak out begin
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

"In an effort to keep the format casual, we're banning sleeves".

What's scary is that the more I think about it, it's almost a good idea. %$#% kitchen table, boys, kitchen floor is the new meta. If your card isn't scuffed white around the edges it's not a real card yet!
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Sleeveless White Boarder only lets go

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Ban Cyclonic Rift?

Or wait, Smothering Tithe and Dockside Extortionist. That would be funny...
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Color identity update? I would hate it. Don't bow to MaRo.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

*tin foil hate take*"After selling all of our RL cards only used for commander, we've decided to ban RL cards"

Actual take, It's more than likely about Sheldon's health issues and his place on the RC.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

One comment stood out to me.

"This tweet could've had just the first and last sentence and avoided that ominous, dread-inducing hook."

They intentionally added an unnecessary cliff hanger to get a speculation storm brewing. Either they are bringing a whole lot of attention for nothing (more likely), or they are about to drop some big bans and they are stirring the pot. I hope it's not a hybrid mana change. I probably won't play any of them anyway for flavor reasons.

Edit: above post real-take is pretty likely

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

I both want it to be hybrid mana and not.

The downside is Ephara as a deck ends when I can build it with Thopter Foundry it is completely different. :)

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 1 year ago

100%, if I had to guess I'd believe it's Sheldon's health and how the format will be stewarded going forward.

I wish he were in better health; despite all the disagreements I've had with the RC, I think they do a pretty good job of keeping the format clean and sticking to a vision that most players mostly like.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Any buyouts happening? There's a hopeful part of me that wants to pick up a Gifts Ungiven…or perhaps some real longshots, like Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary or Recurring Nightmare.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
Any buyouts happening? There's a hopeful part of me that wants to pick up a Gifts Ungiven…or perhaps some real longshots, like Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary or Recurring Nightmare.
I'm no financial advisor, but my wager is that it's finally time to sell your docksides and buy a few gifts. At least I hope. Gifts are like 2 bucks right now, so it's a good spec.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago
100%, if I had to guess I'd believe it's Sheldon's health and how the format will be stewarded going forward.

I wish he were in better health; despite all the disagreements I've had with the RC, I think they do a pretty good job of keeping the format clean and sticking to a vision that most players mostly like.
Agreed 100%. I may have reservations about the overall direction of the format but I like Sheldon personally and wish him the best.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago

I'm no financial advisor, but my wager is that it's finally time to sell your docksides and buy a few gifts. At least I hope. Gifts are like 2 bucks right now, so it's a good spec.
I can't imagine they'd whack Dockside so soon after a reprint, but I guess WOTC has already made their money off the hype and the chase, so it's no skin off their nose. Grabbed a couple of Gifts because it'd be cool to have another version of Intuition available in blue. They'll probably end up hanging out in my binder with the wishes, but who the hell knows.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago

I think you're probably right now that I've read it - yes, I suspect the big urgent meeting was about the long-term health of Sheldon, the format, and the RC.

Barring that, I think my most likely votes are... More longshot-y announcements would be...

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

@Hawk, those are some spicy predictions. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see Banned as Commander come back, especially with the stipulations you've outlined.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 1 year ago

They're starting the banlist over from scratch, and are starting by unbanning everything.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

JovialJovian wrote:
1 year ago
They're starting the banlist over from scratch, and are starting by unbanning everything.
I don't know if I've ever seen you around these parts, but you should pop by more often! I'm a big fan of your work over in custom cards, and it'd be nice to meet the man behind the ideas.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I think you are all missing that there is urgency in this
This has to do with dominaria united. My guess is that there is a card from Legends that they want to ban and they don't want people burning through packs hoping to get it.

Or could be a Plaza of Heroes ban.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 1 year ago

Maybe they're finally going to ban the Companion mechanic entirely. Chalk it up to a failure of design and delete it from the format.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Sinis wrote:
1 year ago

He confirmed that it was not health related on twitter IIRC

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Please no gifts ungiven ban, lol the only gifts ya'll are gonna be getting are Thassa's Consultation services. No one is ever going to play gifts ungiven to do anything other than tutor up a two card combo on the end step of their turn 3 after playing a mana rock before untapping and going for a win. What do you think people are going to with the card, find their Mistform Ultimus and a Merfolk Looter? They will choose reanimate, Archaeomancer, thassa's oracle and demonic consultation. Now, if this card is unbanned, every deck with blue and black can win the game with ease if they have 4 mana. Thanks for playing MTG today.

I just can't understand why people want a combo enabler the likes of which has never been seen in the format, outside of a hundred some odd dollar card that only a couple whales play. All I hear about this format is that blue and countermagic are so strong and then people are like, lets give blue their version of Tooth and Nail? Unban Gifts ungiven, and all you will get is every single deck that has blue in it adding it and some combo pieces to their deck. Lets get a price check on the card that people say is fine in the format: Intuition. Oh 186 dollars? Hmm guess it's a bulk rare. I'm sure a card that costs one more mana and does almost the exact same thing won't be just as powerful and obnoxious.

Thankfully, it's probably dockside or something similar getting the axe.
Last edited by Venedrex 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

They are going to allow any planeswalker be a commander

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
No one is ever going to play gifts ungiven to do anything other than tutor up a two card combo on the end step of their turn 3 after playing a mana rock before untapping and going for a win.
Woefully inaccurate.

Do you think the equally powerful Intuition should get the axe? Gifts is fine. There are much better combo enablers.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
No one is ever going to play gifts ungiven to do anything other than tutor up a two card combo on the end step of their turn 3 after playing a mana rock before untapping and going for a win.
Woefully inaccurate.

Do you think the equally powerful Intuition should get the axe? Gifts is fine. There are much better combo enablers.
Like what? I don't want to advocate to ban any card, because for most it's too late, I just don't want to give players an additional way to reliably end the game on turn 3-4 using a 4 card instant speed tutor. BTW, if you want to say I'm woefully inaccurate, you're gonna need to provide some reasoning, other than the 186 dollar card that I have never seen played isn't good.
Last edited by Venedrex 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I think you are all missing that there is urgency in this
This has to do with dominaria united. My guess is that there is a card from Legends that they want to ban and they don't want people burning through packs hoping to get it.

Or could be a Plaza of Heroes ban.
Good point. Plaza doesn't seem banworthy to me, so it could be letting folks know that The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale is finally getting the hammer ahead of the release.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”