Alternative Wincons to Craterhoof

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 6 months ago

So, I've been trying both Craterhoof Behemoth and Moonshaker Cavalry in a deck, because games need to end. But both (specially craterhoof) have been received with groams and complaints about everyone dying out of the blue.

Do we have like a baby craterhoof? that would allow me to maybe kill one player and not the whole table?

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 6 months ago

Several good options. Add tutors for more redundancy if needed. I like Kamahl because he triggers the turn you play him, but also triggers on subsequent turns. more vulerable to spot removal than Forerunners. I play all 3 creatures mentioned above and Nissa in my Titania, Protector of Argoth deck.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 6 months ago

I have always loved Tears of Rage. The ceiling is you kill everyone, the floor is that you lose everything. It appeals to my inner gambling addict a whole bunch.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 6 months ago

Crater hoof is like the staple green finisher along with finale of devastation like the heart and soul of green is llanowar cradle creature tutor > hoof. Lots of other ways to do the same thing but if they don't want one shot why even try to do the same thing with different cards? Like if you play finale instead its the same result and any other card + tutors combo will feel the same. I dont really see it as a valid complaint unless they really do have low power decks in which case just play something else. I just sleeved a precon since I randomly pair against noobs some nights at the LGS and I cant play anything beyond that level with them. I try and teach newer players in this format where people randomly pull way ahead on turn 1-2 every deck should have removal for creatures artifacts and enchants at 0-2 cmc and most decks even creature heavy ones needs whipe spells. When I first started playing on mtgo with a select group I discord with at first they had similar issues and I helped them edit the decks they had only adding a few removal spells to each and all the sudden they are not getting blown out anymore. I think its more healthy for a meta to learn to how to dismantle these things. So im not sure where your meta is at but if i build a entire deck to slam bodies then tutor hoof or play devastation if they ask me not use hoof im just playing a different deck. If they really are noobs ill just play a precon and let them win.

If you just want to kill one player that's fine too but I wouldn't build a green goes wide deck to do that I would use a deck that kills people 1 by 1 as its intention at the outset. It can be annoying as at the LGS I could sit-down with a cedh deck or a deck worse than a precon you just never know so i like bringing 10+ decks so i can match any power level. If i go with ym friend and game 1 our decks are too strong we tend to 1v1 a bit to try and even it out naturally. The last green white deck I built was control and it didn't use hoof it mostly spammed removal spells and tried to run people out of cards but if they don't like hoof I have a feeling they also wont like you removing every card they play one by one either. No one seems to mind my mono white deck despite it having the potential to kill on a similar turn to my mono green deck that finishes with hoof/devstation most games and it feels pretty arbitrary to me as both decks are similar power level of play removal or wipes and i will have a bad time if you don't I'm going to try and kill people turn 6 but since they see rick coming they never seem to mind as much. I had a guy the other week we use proxies and he had mana crypt and one ring and told me nothing in his deck was as good as natural order XD. The idea that i could get countered and blowout using it didn't even cross their mind. I don't really change my decks for anyone unless i think its too much and normally that just means swapping decks. I like the Grull shell more than green white for kill one guy at at time with minsc and boo and berzerk and pump spells can use minsc or xenagos or even the partners grull 4 drop that gives haste and counters sounds like minsc in command zone would be a bit too good for this meta.
Last edited by Moxnix 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 6 months ago

PrimevalCommander already provided some really good options. I would like to put Thunderfoot Baloth out there as well. You could also run Kamahl, Fist of Krosa if your deck can make a load of mana. I run him in my Yeva, Nature's Herald deck and for some reason people find him less annoying even though the result is the same.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 6 months ago

@Moxnix, don't take this personally but your posts are borderline unreadable. Use commas so that your sentences are easier to parse. Break your posts into multiple paragraphs so that it's not one huge block of text. It's so easy to get lost somewhere in the middle of that massive text wall.

Anyway, uh, Akroma's Will? At least then the power of your creatures matters.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Moxnix

I don't I've always been this way I put a paragraph break in for you buddy.

PrimevalCommander

DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago
Anyway, uh, Akroma's Will? At least then the power of your creatures matters.
Great card. Wish I got another when they were $10.

Moxnix

Will is excellent but I cant remember ever resolving it and not killing the whole table. Like are they going to be ok with getting one shot if its just a different card?

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 6 months ago

God-Eternal Rhonas is one I run in my Emiel the Blessed deck. Being able to blink it makes it scarier, but just as a one shot effect, you are probably unlikely to kill the whole table with just one ETB trigger.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 6 months ago

True Conviction and Unnatural Growth are more kitchen table finishers and white and green have enchantment synergy. Depending on how many other enchantments you're playing you could play Enlightened Tutor, academy rector, Idyllic Tutor, and Sterling Grove.

If you're playing black Sorin Markov plus Gray Merchant of Asphodel or Skemfar Shadowsage can kill a person.

Red can kill people with Purphoros, God of the Forge. Or Fiery Emancipation can boost your creatures. Shared Animosity is also great for tribal.

Or if you're playing green you can always ramp into Eldrazi, but people don't really like that.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

PrimevalCommander

Siege Behemoth makes creatures hard to block. Probably good for getting damage through on non-tramplers. Has Hexproof, so no pesky spot removal to ruin your plans. Little light on the toughness though. I had it in my deck for a short time but never saw it in action :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”