Unreleased and New Card Discussion

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 weeks ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 weeks ago
I can't read any of these. Can someone with better eyes/resolution tell me what any of these MH3 generals do?
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ulalek, Fused ???? 2/WUBRG
Legendary Creature-Eldrazi
Devoid
Whenever you cast an Eldrazi spell, you may pay CC, if you do, copy all spells you control then copy all activated and triggered abilities you control. You may choose new targets for the copies.
2/5

Nulldrifter 7
Creature-Eldrazi Elemental
When you cast this spell, draw two cards.
Flying
Annihilator 1
Evoke 2U
?/?

Flenser of the ???? 7
Creature-Eldrazi
Whenever you attack, choose odd or even. Creatures with mana value that quality can't block this turn.
Each other colorless creature you control has bloodthirst 2.
8/6

Subjective Obliteration XCC
Instant
Each player chooses a ???????????????. Then ??????

Spawnbed Protector 7
Creature-Eldrazi
At the beginning of you end step, return up to one target Eldrazi crature card from your graveyard to your hand. Create two 1/1/ colorless Eldrazi Scion tokens with "Sacrifice this creature: add C"
6/8

Inversion Behemoth 2CC
Creature-Eldrazi
At the beginning of combat on your turn, switch the power and toughness of each of any number of target creatures until end of turn.
?/?

Oblivion Sower

Ulamog's Dreadsire 10
Creature-Eldrazi
Vigilance
Ward-Sacrifice a permanent with mana value 1 or greater.
T: Create a 10/10 colorless Eldrazi creature token.
10/10

Eldritch Immunity ???
Kindred Instant-Eldrazi
Target creature you control gains protection from each color until end of turn.
Overload 4C

??? Blast C
Instant
Choose one
-Counter target multicolored spell.
-Destroy target multicolored permanent.

Dina the Restless 2BRG
Legendary Creature-Human Scout
Whenever a Llhurgoyf permanent is put in your graveyard from anywhere other than the battlefield, put it onto the battlefield.
Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, create a Tarmogoyf token.
5/6

Gargor, the Undertaker 1BRG
Legendary Creature-Human Warlock
Gargor, the Undertaker gets +X/+0, where X is the greature power among creature cards in all graveyards.
Whenever Gargor attacks, each player mills a card.
0/5

Omo, Princess of Vesuva 2U/G
Legendary Creature-Shapeshifter Noble
Whenever Omo enters the battlefield or attacks, you may put an ??? counter on up to one target creature and up to one target land.
Each ??? creature with ???? counter on it has is every creature type in addition to its other types.
Each land with an ??? counter it is every land type in addition to its other types.
1/5

Fyoti, Moag Ancient 2GU
Legendary Creature-Elemental
Whenever Fyoti, Moag Ancient enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green elemental token for each time you've cast your commander from the command zone this game. ????
2/4

Satya, ????????? 1BRW
Legendary Creature-Human Artificer
Menace, Haste
Whenever Satya ?????? attacks, create a tapped and attacking token that's a copy of another target nonlegendary creature you control. You get EE. At the beginning of the next end end step, sacrifice that token unless you pay an amount of E equal to its mana value.
3/5
Last edited by BeneTleilax 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Webman

Post by Mr_Webman » 2 weeks ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Sooooo is kindred a new form of tribal, or is all tribal just retconned to be kindred now?
Known as TheGodOfWar91 on MTGSalvation

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 weeks ago

Mr_Webman wrote:
2 weeks ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Sooooo is kindred a new form of tribal, or is all tribal just retconned to be kindred now?
The latter. All existing tribal cards are kindred (I think that's been true for a bit but now it'll actually be printed on cards).

Not sure how many people were actually bothered by the word tribal but w/e, it functions identically.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 weeks ago

Unofficial Spoiler Discussion

Looks like someone's compiling all the leaks in here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s6r ... rbgz40dxff

The ones with the "cross" symbol he got those from leakers who want to be anonymous but can DM them for pictures if needed

And there's two in particular in the list that people will look at

And that's Ulamog 3.0 and the side commander of the Eldrazi precon
Ulamog, the Defiler 10

Legendary Creature — Eldrazi

When you cast this spell, target opponent exiles half their library, rounded up

Ward — Sacrifice two permanents

Ulamog, the Defiler enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters equal to highest mana value among cards in exile,

Ulamog has Annihilator X, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters it has

7/7
…..wow….. I'm definitely gonna ask if this very possible to ban in commander?

Now the side commander of the WUBRGC precon
Azlask, the Swelling Scourge 3

Legendary creature — Eldrazi

whenever Azlask, the Swelling Scourge or another colorless creature you control dies, you get a experience counter.

WUBRG: Creatures you control get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of experience counters you have. Scions and Spawns you control gain Indestructible and Annihilator 1 Until end of turn.

2/2
How in the world is this not a "activate only once each turn" ability?

Stuff like this exist

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 weeks ago

Man what drunk asshat at wizards was like,..."You know what Magic needs is more annihilator"?

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 2 weeks ago

Honestly, I'm not even sure if I can identify why, but my interest in every eldrazi is zero. It's like they all have a big sign that says "this card isn't for you".
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 weeks ago

I think BFZ and Oath (mostly) did Eldrazi right. Apart from entirely breaking modern of course. I specially like the one use nature of eldrazi spawn tokens. i'm thinking of doing a BG aristocrats deck based arround sac for mana, ping someone.

I also like the idea in SOI. not so much the execution, but the build up of Emmys presence slowly turning everyone mad was a great trope

MAGUSZANIN

Post by MAGUSZANIN » 2 weeks ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
At 10 mana Ulamog is just in range for me to consider for Henzie. On the one hand I want to be able to double spell 4+ mana spells in that deck so it definitely has the mana. On the other tentacle investing that much mana into one creature is pretty rough, even with a cast trigger to provide some value.

The 5 color commander is admittedly interesting, especially if we get another round of (far more pushed) Spawn/Scion producers. Probably won't build it myself, but I know at least one person who will likely give it a shot.

As for Annihilator's return, I don't think it's nearly as good as it was back in 2010 with the advent of things like clues and treasure. There are so many more tokens floating around the battlefield these days, we put a lot more lands and other mana sources into play as well, and deck curves are so much lower to the ground that sacrificing a few lands isn't the outright game loss that it was in 2010. That doesn't mean it's not good, but it's not as terrifying a keyword as it was back then.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 2 weeks ago

I think Eldrazi are sweet, I rarely ever play them, but they are, thematically, the best tribe WOTC has ever made. They're so alien/otherworldly, and annihilator is a brilliant mechanic to represent there inexorable consumption of worlds.

To this day, every time I read Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, I feel something. The comically high mana cost, the blatant unfun, unfairness, she barely even feels like a real magic card, which makes sense for a being that lives beyond the universes everything else in magic occurs in.

When I think about art in magic, I'm usually thinking about the literal art in the card, but names, card text, and flavor text can also be art, and I think she's a great example of that . (The two newer ones are not nearly as compelling).

The funny part is, normally, I don't even like cosmic horror, but something about the Eldrazi, particularly Emrakul, does it for me.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 weeks ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
That Ulamog alone makes me thankful that these decks are gonna be scalped to the point where you'll hardly see these cards. It has been a while since I have seen a card so brutally determined to make a single player have an absolutely rotten game.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 week ago

Initial analysis of Ulamog 3.0, assuming the above text is accurate:
  • The cast trigger exiling half of one opponent's library seems very obnoxious. I don't think it's actually good though - people freaked out about Lord Xander, the Collector too, but Traumatize just isn't useful outside mill decks. It is very obnoxious though - will definitely make any combos harder to assemble, and tutors become worse.
  • Ward is annoying, but manageable. It's not great if you're behind, but it is possible to pay. Everyone has a bunch of spare treasure / clue tokens, right?
  • +X/+X equal to the most expensive thing in exile is spooky - I'll conservatively estimate it at +6/+6, but it will often be more. 13/13 kills in two hits, although the lack of evasion is a thing.
  • Now, annihilator on the other hand... Making an opponent sacrifice 6+ permanents is backbreaking, and very few decks will be able to come back from it. It doesn't get anything if cheated out, at least - something has to be in exile first. I have mixed feelings about its synergy with the ward cost - either you sacrifice two permanents to guarantee no attack, or you hope it goes for one of your opponents instead. Sort of a prisoner's dilemma, I guess.
  • There are a few interesting things you can do with Ulamog, most notably Serum Powder (exiling something expensive to set up a cheated-out Ulamog) and Oblivion Sower (stealing all the exiled lands). It's likely that we will see more 'exiled cards matter' in MH3. Could be interesting as a source of hate for Fury and other pitch-cards.
  • Overall, I think it's a bit weaker than the other Eldrazi titans (both in the command zone and the 99), but also not particularly fun to play with or against.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 1 week ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 weeks ago
Honestly, I'm not even sure if I can identify why, but my interest in every eldrazi is zero. It's like they all have a big sign that says "this card isn't for you".
Same.

For me, it's a couple of things.
*Annihilator is an inherently brutally unfun mechanic. Values of 1 or 2 are painful, but manageable, but 4+ can be back-breaking, and a lot of the eldrazi that see play also come with indestructible, and are themselves huge threats, so not only are you getting set further and further behind, your options for dealing with them start limited and get worse.
*High mana values on colorless cards just aren't a significant speed bump. I've been in plenty of games where an opponent had 10+ mana turn 2 or 3.
*Cast triggers are less abusable than ETBs, but are also much harder to interact with, and the eldrazi triggers are often backbreaking. I wish they all had the "when this ETBs, if you cast it" templating.

Looking at the new Ulamog, 10 mana for a 13/13 + a better Traumatize + at minimum sacrificing 2 permanents to deal with it is just does not feel like a reasonable balance. If it were something like it might start to look reasonable, if even just to ensure that it's a difficult inclusion in noncolorless decks, and especially multicolor ones. That eldrazi that are "balance" by having or appended to their cost are laughable since everyone is running Sol Ring and there are plenty of lands that tap for colorless in addition to colored mana (pain lands, for example).

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 week ago

I love the Eldrazi illustrations :3 I never end up owning any of them, though... I think I have an Artisan of Kozilek and a few BFZ guys (I weirdly love Kozilek's Translator in belzenlok) but none of the big name unfair legends

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 week ago

Well I can mention I could picture the precon reprints now that I've seen 2/3 (8 out 15 new cards would be 9 if we could do the top right in picture 3 of that one)

The deck will be powerful but the price is definitely a rip-off unless it print on demand decks to lower it

These are the only good reprints I can think of that would be reprints of value in the eldrazi precon.
I know we got incredible reprints from the leaks but even from that we're not gonna see

Any of the other titans besides Kozilek, the Great Distortion
Eye of Ugin
Void Winnower
Urza's Incubator

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 1 week ago

yeti1069 wrote:
1 week ago
*Annihilator is an inherently brutally unfun mechanic. Values of 1 or 2 are painful, but manageable, but 4+ can be back-breaking, and a lot of the eldrazi that see play also come with indestructible, and are themselves huge threats, so not only are you getting set further and further behind, your options for dealing with them start limited and get worse.
Annihilator is honestly awful.

It's significantly more impactful against people who are behind, which incentivizes bad attacks. Even setting that aside, it's a mechanic that wrecks one person but in a very broad, unsophisticated way, so it feels awful to get hit by but not nearly as inversely-good to use. I think that's part of what makes the eldrazi completely unappealing to me. If I'm targeting someone, I want it to be precise and impactful, not broad general pain.

Being an attack trigger is really annoying too - you have to play that stupid game of chicken where you go
"are you going to attack ME with it?"
"I don't know......."
"okay but are you? I have removal"
"I don't know......."
And of course the ward makes that much worse since now you'd really rather not target it unless you absolutely need to.

And while the cast trigger on this new ulamog is much less impactful than previous ones, the potential for it to have an easy annihilator 7 or whatever is just...ugh. Whoever is designing these things can piss all the way off. It's tailor-made to make commander games less fun.

I bet Jon is going to play it :unamused:
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

yeti1069

DirkGently wrote:
1 week ago
yeti1069 wrote:
1 week ago
Annihilator is honestly awful.

It's significantly more impactful against people who are behind, which incentivizes bad attacks. Even setting that aside, it's a mechanic that wrecks one person but in a very broad, unsophisticated way, so it feels awful to get hit by but not nearly as inversely-good to use. I think that's part of what makes the eldrazi completely unappealing to me. If I'm targeting someone, I want it to be precise and impactful, not broad general pain.

Being an attack trigger is really annoying too - you have to play that stupid game of chicken where you go
"are you going to attack ME with it?"
"I don't know......."
"okay but are you? I have removal"
"I don't know......."
And of course the ward makes that much worse since now you'd really rather not target it unless you absolutely need to.

And while the cast trigger on this new ulamog is much less impactful than previous ones, the potential for it to have an easy annihilator 7 or whatever is just...ugh. Whoever is designing these things can piss all the way off. It's tailor-made to make commander games less fun.

I bet Jon is going to play it :unamused:
Yeah, all of this.

And it's not like its hard to get haste on an eldrazi.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 week ago

I still can't believe Annhailtor returned that was considered the one mechanic in the storm scale that applies to suppalment in a way. I can easily seeing us fans complain again of how busted it was in MH3

And to make matters worse the suposive text of "Azlask, the swelling scourge" first time I see something give creatures Annhailtor 1 (luckily just scions and spawns)

But the parenthesis area doesn't matter because in a way they forgot about Maskwood Nexus/Arcane Adaptation effect since "token creatures" is not present.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 week ago

Some new cards just dropped. Urza's Cave looks just absurdly strong

yeti1069

materpillar wrote:
1 week ago
A sort of 4 mana colorless Crop Rotation that can provide mana until you want the land, and dodges most stack interaction.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 week ago

Alara lore drop! Grixis is still active, it seems.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 week ago

materpillar wrote:
1 week ago
Any land? Amazing!

Ugin's Labyrinth sounds trully trully dumb

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 week ago

duducrash wrote:
1 week ago
Ugin's Labyrinth sounds trully trully dumb
This seems so wrong.

Also I'm disappointed that they didn't make its type Ugin's to mirror Urza's.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 week ago

New stuff! Looks like MH3 has a very high power level (which isn't surprising). I, for one, look forward to Snow-Covered Wastes representing the return of Eldrazi Winter.
  • Nulldrifter looks like a nice upgrade to Mulldrifter. I've found myself cutting the latter from decks over time - there are so many options for card advantage these days, and a 2/2 flyer is less relevant than it used to be. Less exciting for flicker decks, but better elsewhere.
  • Null Elemental Blast is colorless countermagic. It misses a lot of important spells, but it does hit the majority of commanders.
  • Nethergoyf makes me happy, although it is probably the nail in the coffin for Tarmogoyf elsewhere. Less relevant in EDH, but it can be a large recursive body.
  • Wight of the Reliquary looks strong. Turning creatures into lands is quite good (especially if you have Scute Swarm, Khalni Garden, or some other way to turn lands into more creatures). Wrong colors for Samut though.
  • Urza's Cave is another strong land tutor. Somewhat expensive, but it's a unique effect we haven't seen on a land before other than Tolaria West.
  • Ugin's Labyrinth is a Modern-legal T1 Sol land. Conditional and card disadvantage, yes, but I expect it to enable some degenerate things. Sojourner's Companion affinity? Not sure about it in EDH, but still quite strong.
  • Chthonian Nightmare isn't quite Recurring Nightmare, but it does a decent impression. 'RN would be worse with an ETB trigger' has been noted in the past, so not surprised to see it here. You can't easily recur big things, but it is a mana cheaper, and I can see plenty of value in looping 3-drops.
  • Flare of Denial is free countermagic, but it requires some setup. There aren't a lot of cheap, expendable blue creatures that see play, but seems interesting.
  • Herigast, Erupting Nullkite is... a card. 'Emerge big colorless thing → sacrifice it for another big colorless thing' is a thing that can be done. I'm not sure it's good, but it is cool.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 week ago

Mookie wrote:
1 week ago
Wight of the Reliquary looks strong. Turning creatures into lands is quite good
This looks like a Karador, Ghost Chieftain all star. this set looks trully strong,

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 1 week ago

As a utility land enthusiast I'm very into Urza's Cave.

wight of the reliquary just seems absurd. Turning creatures into lands on its own would be really strong, but it hits nonbasics? AND it has a cost discount on KotR?

Friend of mine saw a leak of null elemental blast and thought it cost 1 instead of C. Glad he was wrong because 1 would have made it one of the biggest autoincludes of all time, but even at C I think it's going to have a big impact. 1 mana to counter or destroy most commanders? Jeez.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”