[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 months ago
GOOD LORD that is a lot of Who to watch in a very short time.
It's pretty close to an episode a day, which checks out. Me and my partner watch either an episode or a movie over dinner basically every day and Dr Who has been the thing since WHO came out.

Just moved on to Blue Eye Samurai. Still 3 episodes left but damn, it's really good so far. A though occurred to me while watching it - BES feels like a story in need of a show, where WHO feels like a show in need of a story. When it's already a guarantee that the show is getting produced, but they need to think of something to do with it that will occupy an hour of television, things tend to feel forced, because they are. I want someone with a story they're excited to tell me, not someone obligated to tell me one. Like seriously, how many times can we do "OMG it's DALEKS" or "OMG it's CYBERMEN" or "OMG it's THE MASTER"? Let me know when you're actually inspired with something, not just regurgitating the nostalgia you think I want to see.
5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 months ago
I think a factor in this was covid as well. Been talking with a friend on tv shows and its kinda jarring when you hit the covid seasons and seeing how the production of the show had to change around, stuff like how actors wouldn't get as close to each other in scenes or the lack of extras in what would be crowded areas. Its gonna be really interesting to review/study media from 2020-present with both covid and the writers strike happening within the last 4 years.
Kerblam! was filmed in 2018. After that appalling piece of trash, a global pandemic could only improve the show.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 months ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago

It's pretty close to an episode a day, which checks out. Me and my partner watch either an episode or a movie over dinner basically every day and Dr Who has been the thing since WHO came out.

Just moved on to Blue Eye Samurai. Still 3 episodes left but damn, it's really good so far. A though occurred to me while watching it - BES feels like a story in need of a show, where WHO feels like a show in need of a story.
BLue-Eye Samurai was absolutely AWESOME. I'm super excited for Season 2 and I fully agree that it needs more development, more episodes, and more budget. The storytelling in that show was off the charts IMO. So many subtle themes and excellent plot development moments.

Have you checked out Arcane on Netflix? Highly recommend that one next if it's not already in your queue. Excellent show that's one of the best sci-fi shows I've seen in a LONG time.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 months ago

Is that what it takes to be a movie buff? I like movies a lot, but realistically can only commit to a movie a week, and I always feel like I have an overwhelming back-log of "must-watch" movies.

And don't get me started on tv shows.

Speaking of which I recently watched Airplane! and good grief that movie was not funny, at all. Why is this hyped up as one of the greatest comedies?
Last edited by Dunadain 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 months ago

Netflix recs? Netflix recs.

Cunk on Earth
Orion and the Dark
Cunk on Earth
Carol and the End of the World
Cunk on Earth
Pokemon Concierge
Pump up the Jam
The Fall of the House of Usher
Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
Speaking of which I recently watched Airplane! and good grief that movie was not funny, at all. Why is this hyped up as one of the greatest comedies?
It hasn't aged well in light of all the awful Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer parody movies of the 2000's, but a) the movie has been so influential that stripped of its context it comes off as hackneyed b) Leslie Nielson is one of the most iconic comedic actors of all time and elevates a lot of it and c) some of the gags are on-point (I still say that I have a drinking problem whenever I spill something on myself).

Dunadain
I like turtles

The movie tried to make every single %$#% line a joke and you can't do that, you need to give the movie and the audience room to breathe before the next joke. Word-play and puns were the vast majority of the movie, and I love me a good play on words, but I knew every single line was going to be a joke, so none of them landed.

Except the "OK boys, let's get some pictures" for some reason, that was the single joke in the entire movie that got a chuckle out of me. Though, if memory serves, the interview immediately before that line was at least somewhat serious, so if anything that just proves my point.

Oh well, just another "you had to have been there" movie I guess.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 months ago

Blue-Eyed Samurai was fun, but there were a couple of weird choices that took me out of it at times. Mizu calling Taigen's style "trash" when they first meet was such a blatant "hello fellow kids" and felt out of character for her.

And then using songs like "Battle Without Honor or Humility" from Kill Bill vol. 1 was jarring. To be fair, whenever I hear that song in anything other than Kill Bill, it always takes me out of whatever I'm watching, partially because my friends and I used it in a "movie" we made for our junior year Italian class and the cringe echoes across time, taking me right back to high school.

Overall, I enjoyed it, though I'm not sure I'll watch season 2, especially if Mizu's character doesn't start to move beyond "I am vengeance".

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
The movie tried to make every single %$#% line a joke and you can't do that, you need to give the movie and the audience room to breathe before the next joke. Word-play and puns were the vast majority of the movie, and I love me a good play on words, but I knew every single line was going to be a joke, so none of them landed.

Except the "OK boys, let's get some pictures" for some reason, that was the single joke in the entire movie that got a chuckle out of me. Though, if memory serves, the interview immediately before that line was at least somewhat serious, so if anything that just proves my point.

Oh well, just another "you had to have been there" movie I guess.
Isn't that the Mel Brooks school of thought?

I actually love the frenetic pace of the jokes. Normally, I would agree with you. As a would-be filmmaker I appreciate long, quiet, contemplative scenes to juxtapose with some of the more emotionally heightened scenes. That said, Airplane! isn't really a movie. It's a joke vehicle. The plot, the characters, the drama, none of it has stakes because there is no suspension of disbelief.

Just don't watch any other non-Mel Brooks parody movie except for like... the first Scary Movie? Walk Hard?

Dunadain
I like turtles

See this is why I'm reluctant to call myself a movie-buff.

I spend a lot of time thinking about movies, why I feel the way I do about movies, and future movies that I would like to see, and I think I'm reasonably capable of articulating those thoughts, but then someone starts talking about the "Mel Brooks school of thought" and my mind goes blank XD.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
See this is why I'm reluctant to call myself a movie-buff.

I spend a lot of time thinking about movies, why I feel the way I do about movies, and future movies that I would like to see, and I think I'm reasonably capable of articulating those thoughts, but then someone starts talking about the "Mel Brooks school of thought" and my mind goes blank XD.
Have you never seen a Mel Brooks movie, or are you just generally unfamiliar with his work? If it's the first, I envy you. Amnesia would be worth it to watch some Mel Brooks movies for the first time.

Dunadain
I like turtles

I looked up his works. All I've seen from him (besides Airplane!) is Spaceballs and a couple of animated films where he played a side character.

Spaceballs was markedly better than Airplane! it still had a bit of trouble knowing when to slow down, but not nearly to the extent Airplane! did, and the performances were better imo. Also, on a fundamental level, a Star Wars parody is a better ground work than a disaster movie parody for me specifically.

I'm willing to add a couple movies to aforementioned overwhelming back log of "must watch" movies. But if you think I'm going to feel the same way about them as I did about Airplane! then don't bother.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
2 months ago
BLue-Eye Samurai was absolutely AWESOME. I'm super excited for Season 2 and I fully agree that it needs more development, more episodes, and more budget. The storytelling in that show was off the charts IMO. So many subtle themes and excellent plot development moments.

Have you checked out Arcane on Netflix? Highly recommend that one next if it's not already in your queue. Excellent show that's one of the best sci-fi shows I've seen in a LONG time.
I don't think I've ever been more well-poisoned going into a show than I was for Arcane. I hate mobas and LOL in particular (they kept advertising to me relentlessly for a long time). Reddit was crowing about how good the show was. I was so ready to hate it. So I finally watched it and...yeah, it's a masterpiece.

Every once in a while Netflix just hits one out of the park. Bojack, Russian Doll, Arcane, and now it seems like BES (though I'll withhold judgment until I've finished season 1).
Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
Is that what it takes to be a movie buff? I like movies a lot, but realistically can only commit to a movie a week, and I always feel like I have an overwhelming back-log of "must-watch" movies.
Does the amount of time I spend on this forum not indicate that I have an overabundance of free time?
kirkusjones wrote:
2 months ago
Blue-Eyed Samurai was fun, but there were a couple of weird choices that took me out of it at times. Mizu calling Taigen's style "trash" when they first meet was such a blatant "hello fellow kids" and felt out of character for her.
The show does make the main character a little too cool :cool: , but I don't mind that sort of gratuitousness from time to time if it's done well. I don't think it was out of character, she's pretty cocky throughout. Unless it's the word choice you're objecting to?

@TheGildedGoose I absolutely loved the first episode of Cunk. Then the second one was pretty solid. Then eventually the joke kinda wore itself out. Solid idea but there's only so much mileage in it imo.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
I looked up his works. All I've seen from him (besides Airplane!) is Spaceballs and a couple of animated films where he played a side character.

Spaceballs was markedly better than Airplane! it still had a bit of trouble knowing when to slow down, but not nearly to the extent Airplane! did, and the performances were better imo. Also, on a fundamental level, a Star Wars parody is a better ground work than a disaster movie parody for me specifically.

I'm willing to add a couple movies to aforementioned overwhelming back log of "must watch" movies. But if you think I'm going to feel the same way about them as I did about Airplane! then don't bother.
Airplane isn't a Mel brooks movie, but the speed of the jokes is part of it's charm. Airplane is basically a scene for scene recreation of Zero Hour! disaster movie only with jokes. if a joke falls flat, move on to the next one.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Hermes_ wrote:
2 months ago
Airplane isn't a Mel brooks movie,
Oh, lol, the way Goose was talking about it led me astray.
but the speed of the jokes is part of it's charm. Airplane is basically a scene for scene recreation of Zero Hour! disaster movie only with jokes. if a joke falls flat, move on to the next one.
Not for me it ain't. Timing and momentum are a vital part of comedy. Flat jokes aren't free, they make it harder for the next joke to land, stuff enough of them together and you're guaranteeing that none of them, not even the good ones, will land.

I watched My Cousin Vinny recently, and there's a scene where the two friends are arguing about whether they should let Vinny continue to be their lawyer. The one boy says something along the lines of "even if he doesn't ask the right questions, the public DA can just pick up the slack" and the other boy rightly responds that it's not just about saying the right things, it's also about not saying the wrong things. Comedy is no different.

(Haven't watched Zero Hour! though)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago

Oh, my.

So, his best work is Young Frankenstein and is probably where everyone should start since everyone is familiar with the story of Frankenstein. It makes the parody more accessible. Peter Boyle's performance as Frankenstein's monster is *chef's kiss*. It's hard to find a single scene to give you a taste without spoiling the mood, but I found this one real quick:

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
@TheGildedGoose I absolutely loved the first episode of Cunk. Then the second one was pretty solid. Then eventually the joke kinda wore itself out. Solid idea but there's only so much mileage in it imo.
Even if the writing was middling (it's not) Morgan's performance is worth the price of entry alone.
Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
Not for me it ain't. Timing and momentum are a vital part of comedy. Flat jokes aren't free, they make it harder for the next joke to land, stuff enough of them together and you're guaranteeing that none of them, not even the good ones, will land.
There's an art to breakneck pacing. It's very difficult to do correctly, but if you want to see it done well, then give Young Frankenstein a shot. It's less speedy than Airplane! but far more sophisticated.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
I think a factor in this was covid as well. Been talking with a friend on tv shows and its kinda jarring when you hit the covid seasons and seeing how the production of the show had to change around, stuff like how actors wouldn't get as close to each other in scenes or the lack of extras in what would be crowded areas. Its gonna be really interesting to review/study media from 2020-present with both covid and the writers strike happening within the last 4 years.
Totally agree. I only recently saw the final series of Brooklyn 99 (did a rewatch because Andre Braugher passing made me nostalgic for the show, RIP this beautiful man), and it's jarring. I didn't enjoy it at all at first, but going through it a second time it was more enjoyable. Same sort of story beats, a bit more socially conscious, which I think was clever given the POC actors and the incidence of the George Floyd debacle. %$#% anyone who complains they got woke, the show always was and it was always great.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
Cunk on Earth
Literally could not keep a straight face. I agree with Dirk, it does wear a bit thin, so I'm glad it was a limited series run, but holy %$#% it's good. Diane Morgan just being deadpan serious the whole damn time, I spent the whole series wondering if the academics she was talking to had any idea of the bit or thought she was serious.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
Isn't that the Mel Brooks school of thought?
Airplane isn't Mel Brooks, though it is from the same school of comedy. Speaking of, they recently did History of the World part 2, a follow up to Mel's original series way back when, and it's not bad at all. Lots of big names in the comedy game, and Mel is an executive producer I believe. I enjoyed it a lot.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
The Fall of the House of Usher
I will admit I've not seen it and people do seem to rave about it, but a couple of things about the trailer just seemed to hint to me that it's just going to be a rehash of Poe's greatest hits. Working nevermore into the very end of the trailer made my eyes roll so hard they hurt. You've really got to tread lightly for the gothic drama Poe callback to worth without being a gorgonzola cheese fest. I'm open to being convinced, mostly because I'm still on my horror kick months on, and this seems at least tangential.

I will say though I did not enjoy Midnight Mass (same director right?). It was fine, but I think it got hyped to the point I expected more from it than it gave. Perhaps it was that I don't have an overly religious past, and the whole vampire thing I've seen enough times that it has to really stick the landing to impress me. I generally avoid vampire films for that reason, there are just so, so many and they're all barely passable and nothing new (save for What we do in the Shadows, y'all should watch that show if you haven't - just Matt Berry's voice alone is worth it). Same goes for possession movies too, after the original Exorcist nothing really compares, barring Hereditary, and that's because it's a true masterpiece.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 months ago

Considering Airplane! is my favorite movie of all time (and the one I've seen the most), ZAZ (the writers and directors of Airplane!) have a very unique style of comedy in that it is rapid fire, dense, smart, sometimes subtle, and is treated seriously. Airplane! is their comedy style in its purest form, but it can also be seen in Police Squad and Naked Gun. In fact, Police Squad got canceled because the TV executives were concerned that people had to pay attention to the show rather than being able to drift in and out as was the norm at the time.

This type of comedy might not be your jam, which I get. Not every type of comedy is for everyone (for example I have yet to figure out why people enjoy The Big Bang Theory, Friends, or The Office).

But I will say that Airplane! is the type of comedy movie that gets better on repeat viewings as you start to notice jokes that you didn't notice the first time. For example, a famous one that wasn't widely known until about 10 years ago was the sound the plane makes is for a propeller plane, not a jet plane.

There are also several jokes that get better with some additional knowledge. Like the "I speak Jive" lady is Barbara Billingsley who played June Cleaver on Leave It to Beaver. If you have ever seen Leave It to Beaver, it makes the joke ten times funnier.

In the same vein, most of the main cast were well known dramatic actors at the time, including Leslie Nielsen. So seeing Peter Graves ask a kid if he has ever been to a Turkish Prison adds on an additional layer of funny.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 months ago

Guardman wrote:
2 months ago
for example I have yet to figure out why people enjoy The Big Bang Theory, Friends, or The Office)
The latter I can speak to, at least the british version. I haven't seen the American, and while I appreciate the writers and what they went on to, the british version is it for me. Anyway, it's meant to make you squirm. You're supposed to find it funny in a way that makes you almost embarassed to be viewing Brent as a protagonist of any sort. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but if you can stomach that, that's what it is.

I'm with you on Bang and Friends. They're both terrible. And honestly, a lot of the comedy in both is commonly pretty racist, misogynist and homophobic. Neither show is worth it to me. I wholeheartedly recommend the IT crowd for anyone who wants an actually funny comedy about nerd culture. Just.....don't look too deeply into the writer of the show, he's not a good person.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 months ago
Kerblam! was filmed in 2018. After that appalling piece of trash, a global pandemic could only improve the show.
I was referencing just the 13th doctors run on the show in general.
Hermes_ wrote:
2 months ago
Exactly this.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Dunadain
I like turtles

Young Frankenstein.png

Pirating it is then.

Hermes_

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 months ago
Airplane isn't a Mel brooks movie,
Oh, lol, the way Goose was talking about it led me astray.
but the speed of the jokes is part of it's charm. Airplane is basically a scene for scene recreation of Zero Hour! disaster movie only with jokes. if a joke falls flat, move on to the next one.

I watched My Cousin Vinny recently, and there's a scene where the two friends are arguing about whether they should let Vinny continue to be their lawyer. The one boy says something along the lines of "even if he doesn't ask the right questions, the public DA can just pick up the slack" and the other boy rightly responds that it's not just about saying the right things, it's also about not saying the wrong things. Comedy is no different.

(Haven't watched Zero Hour! though)
yeah the rapid fire comedy isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's okay

I think I've already mentioned two movies I think everyone needs to see IMO: China Town and Unforgiven

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 months ago

The lack of love for Airplane! is baffling me. While some of the jokes are of their time, that movie never fails to make me laugh. Surely I shouldn't have to defend Airplane! It's a classic!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 2 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
Opinions vary wildly on favorite/best Mel Brooks movie. For me, his greatest movie is "Robin Hood: Men In Tights". It is paced well, has a great cast (Cary Ellwes as Robin is great). There are some fun running jokes and it is very memorable/quotable if that matters. There are a number of pop culture references but it doesn't go crazy with them.

It might be my favorite comedy ever, but it's hard for me to rank things. I've owned VHS, DVD, and Blu Ray copies of it (and would buy it again if a 4K UHD version were to be released) and never get tired if if.

Airplane! is definitely a unique comedy and I can certainly see it not being for everyone. It's pretty comedically dense, and I love that it plays things straight/serious the entire time.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Just finished watching Young Frankenstein and it was great! Why are we even talking about this and Airplane in the same breath?

Alright, I won't bash Airplane! any more, taste in movies is subjective, and even more so in comedies. But surely I can at least convince you that the humor in Airplane! and Young Frankenstein is different.

Young Frankenstein gives its jokes way more room, in the introduction scene for Young Frankenstein he's giving a lecture, the scene is pretty mundane and also serves as exposition for stuff to come. Then they bring in the random volunteer so that Frankenstein can demonstrate involuntary impulses. Based on the relatively academic tone used thus far, we expect him to tap above his kneecap or something, instead, he knees him in the groin. The absurdity of the professors action, in light of the tone leading up to it is humorous, and that humor is further heightened by the professors nonchalant attitude, in sharp contrast to the volunteer who is gasping for air. Then the film brings it back down again. A student asks Frankenstein about his grandfather's work, and Frankenstein becomes increasingly angry, insisting his grand father was a lunatic and he does not want to be associated with him. Them the film undercuts the moment when Frankenstein angrily stabs himself in the leg with a scalpel and tries to play it off.

There's a push and pull here, the movie is filled with jokes but the movie makes sure to also include dramatic moments, not because anyone's watching it for the drama, but because you need the drama to provide a back drop for the jokes. The film also continues to change up the pacing, sometimes you get a long stretch between jokes and sometimes, like in the scene Goose shared, the jokes are piled on, back to back. It all keeps the audience guessing.

Airplane! doesn't do any of that. It just keeps going full steam ahead and comes off as desperate imo.

On a more superficial level, most of Young Frankenstein's humor stems from absurdity, and the over or under reaction of the actors to those absurdities. Airplane! meanwhile, leans much more heavily on wordplay and puns. Neither option is better but adds to my opinion that these movies aren't really comparable outside of both being relatively old comedies.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
2 months ago
The lack of love for Airplane! is baffling me. While some of the jokes are of their time, that movie never fails to make me laugh. Surely I shouldn't have to defend Airplane! It's a classic!
I also adore that movie, but there's no accounting for taste. Admittedly a bunch of the jokes have aged like cheese, but there's still so many killer moments in that film even so.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”