[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 9 months ago

@DirkGently just some thoughts;

0- Kellan is best boy and must be protected at all costs.

1- I think the most likely factor is [ Beluna Grandsquall // Seek Thrills is the second ever adventure matters legend and only one in URG vs Kellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon who the another RW commander. There are tons of commander who is only "popular" due to the limited options they may fill.

2- People will play bad stuff if they like it. Before wotc supported it people where building creature types matter* . Adventures are seemly popular (to my enjoyment) so people (and me) will play them even if the deck is bad.

3- As an adventure player I like Beluna personally since I feel like an adventure deck would work better if they gotta more support for playing adventures and vs more powerful adventure cards. Beluna gives some support and is neat being the first (tied with Kellan) as the first legendary adventure creature but yeah she's not too and won't really help an adventure deck come together the best.

Personally I do kinda similar stuff but mostly I just find it interesting whats popular in the (EDHREC) community vs what I like and to see what commanders are popular in center colors or sets.

*There is some debate about the use of tribal in mtg, I don't wish at all to talk about it here nor do I care if you do, just making clear what I mean by creature type matters.

@duducrash
I have thoughts on Rowan if/when you finish.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 9 months ago

@5colorsrainbow Damn, you've found my glowing rhetorical weak spot, flattering my favorite commanders. I am rendered powerless xD

If Beluna was the first adventure commander it would make more sense to me, but as I said Gorion already happened, has a way more powerful adventure synergy, and wasn't really that popular, at least not compared to the rest of his set. That said, looking at the EDHrec composition, maybe people are interested in playing Beluna with the red "cast from exile" synergy stuff? Or the additional adventures from WOE have made people more interested in the subtype - in particular the virtue cycle looks pretty strong (though none of the on-color ones look very synergistic with Beluna or adventures in general, unless you want to play a basic-heavy 3c deck).

All that said - I honestly wouldn't have been that shocked if Beluna had been more popular than Kellan from the start - there are already plenty of commanders above both of them that I think are much less interesting than Kellan. But what does surprise me is that Beluna shot past him all of a sudden. I guess numbers are still pretty small, maybe someone accidentally copy/pasted the same decklist 40 times or something. We'll see what happens once the set actually releases and the numbers get a lot bigger.
*There is some debate about the use of tribal in mtg, I don't wish at all to talk about it here nor do I care if you do, just making clear what I mean by creature type matters.
I'm pretty sure that discussion is more about twitterites wanting to feel morally superior than anyone actually being bothered by the term tribal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 9 months ago

Random thought: There's something very satisfying about picking up long overdue PTK reprints.
Three Visits, Imperial Recruiter and now Capture of Jingzhou, i'm just gleefully happy to pick them up for a fraction of the inflated price they had.

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 9 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
9 months ago
Damn, you've found my glowing rhetorical weak spot, flattering my favorite commanders. I am rendered powerless xD
As a lore person I'll just say Kellan is a good bean imo and glad to see he has fun looking card. Might try to work him in as an alternate commander for the Cinderella deck I want to build.
If Beluna was the first adventure commander it would make more sense to me, but as I said Gorion already happened, has a way more powerful adventure synergy, and wasn't really that popular, at least not compared to the rest of his set. That said, looking at the EDHrec composition, maybe people are interested in playing Beluna with the red "cast from exile" synergy stuff? Or the additional adventures from WOE have made people more interested in the subtype - in particular the virtue cycle looks pretty strong (though none of the on-color ones look very synergistic with Beluna or adventures in general, unless you want to play a basic-heavy 3c deck).
Adding red helps as you get access to the cast from exile synergy and more instant and sorcery synergy stuff.

And thats the big issues with Adventures, most are meant to be standalone/ work with other deck types, which wouldn't be too bad if there was more non-adventures card (and more decent ones) that supported the deck.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

As someone with a casual 5C adventures deck, i can only tell you that there's plenty of fun to be had! What's real fun about adventures is that you'll always have decisions to make, even if they might be akward at times. It's like a more tame charms tribal deck.
Plus, from Kess, Dissident Mage to Vega, the Watcher, Bring to Light, Rogues' Gallery and Jeskai Ascendancy to double Passionate Archaeologist there's a lot of cool stuff to do!
I went with Cecily, Haunted Mage and Othelm, Sigardian Outcast for the mere reason of being the only 5C partners and her being somewhat of a synergy with them. And yes, said deck will never be a powerhouse by nature, but i like to maintain a variety of strengths and archetypes anyhow.
Not to sound like the old man yelling at a cloud, but maybe some players need to get back to playing the commanders they liked instead of only the ones that can keep up with the upper echelons of the format?

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 9 months ago

Toshi wrote:
9 months ago
Not to sound like the old man yelling at a cloud, but maybe some players need to get back to playing the commanders they liked instead of only the ones that can keep up with the upper echelons of the format?
But it's the opposite, Cecily, Haunted Mage adventure "tribal" sounds neat! Both of your commanders work with adventures in a way that is unique to adventures. Beluna Grandsquall // Seek Thrills is dull imo. If it was good, it would still be dull.

but that's just my 2 cents
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 9 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
9 months ago
@duducrash
I have thoughts on Rowan if/when you finish.
I'm ready and excited to hear!

Final thoughts for me was I really liked some parts of the story. the "quest" was cool, everything with Kellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon was pretty sweet.

Everything Kenrith related was pretty bad for me. Rowan is pretty manic coded and (lowkey hate using this word) is portrayed in a problematic manner. I feel like Wil's rise to being accepted as high king was really porly done. I think K. Arsenault Riveira is fairly good writer but this was pretty badly written IMHO. Like when Brian Michael Bendis was masterminding Avengers vs X-Men that he wanted us to think Cyclops was the villain and didn't write it like that, so he kept telling us "Oh, he is bad" like giving us the information. Will has no real claim at the beggining, and at the end everyone rallies arround him because they do. It's pretty antagonistic to Will Kenrith tragetory.

Small nitpick. Rowan, Scion of War and Will, Scion of Peace are flavour fails. Will can't block rowan and they "trade" he should be able to block her and they should cancel each other out. like PT wise

Kellan was really good and excited to see in the future, really not excited to see what future brings to Rowan. Or Ajani and Nahiri for that matters, K Arsenault Riveira showed a really us they (WOTC story team) have a really cliche and %$#% views of how trauma affected people are and react. it feels like a 90's early 00's portrayal of people who struggle with mental health.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 9 months ago

Brain dump time!

- General Ferrous Rokiric has become my favorite little project. Eventually, I'd like as many of the non-land cards to be Boros as possible. I'm also trying to get as many different frames as I can, which is the only reason I switched out the original, kickass art for Aurelia, the Warleader for the Multiverse Legends one, which kicks slightly less ass.

- Elden Ring is still kicking my ass, but I'm kinda sorta starting to figure it out. I'm so tired of retrieving my runes. I finally got a combat ability with some range so I'm not always having to slice and dice. Early on, I thought everything respawned when you died, so on a lark I tried fighting that White Mask Varre guy you see when you finally make it above ground. He obliterated me and now just tries to kill me on sight. Until today, when I finally killed him. Bastard.

- The new TMNT movie was pretty dope. It's so cool that my daughter loves the turtles like I did when I was little.

- A lady called my pharmacy pretending to be her doctor to authorize an oxycodone script that I was suspicious about. So tomorrow I get to have that discussion where I tell her I'll no longer fill for her. That'll be fun.

- Wilds of Eldraine looks really fun.

- My daughter is super awesome and just saw that I was typing, so this is from her: tgtgtbgggbhyjhhukjjuyfgtuvkmy;[pp;;lhgghgcv ,ubdvbnbvvnnnkjhfyhjnm;[[
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 9 months ago

I love that Aurelia! I just dont get the noodly sword!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 9 months ago

duducrash wrote:
9 months ago
I assume it's better for stabbing or something. The noodly sword (great name, btw) is in most, if not all depictions of Aurelia. I can't get a good look on Aurelia's Fury, but it's probably in there.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 9 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
9 months ago
duducrash wrote:
9 months ago
I assume it's better for stabbing or something. The noodly sword (great name, btw) is in most, if not all depictions of Aurelia. I can't get a good look on Aurelia's Fury, but it's probably in there.
What I'm wondering is how you put the noodle blade in a scabbard. Wouldn't the curves prevent it from sheathing properly without some vigorous jiggling?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 9 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
9 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
9 months ago
duducrash wrote:
9 months ago
What I'm wondering is how you put the noodle blade in a scabbard. Wouldn't the curves prevent it from sheathing properly without some vigorous jiggling?
unless the scabbard was designed specifically for it.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunadain
I like turtles

I looked it up, turns out there is historical precidence for wavy swords.

Mostly just for looks (may have been more difficult to parry and less likely to break, but there primary purpose was intimidation), but they were out there!

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 9 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
9 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
9 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
9 months ago

unless the scabbard was designed specifically for it.
No, see, that's the problem: if the scabbard is also noodly, there'd be no way to sheath the noodle sword. The first curve in the blade will prevent the rest of the sword from going in. I think this one of those "Stick-It-Under-Your-Belt" swords. But even then, all that wavy sharpness would not make for clean draw. It's a conundrum!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dunadain
I like turtles

Scabbards worn at the hip were often open most of the way down.

You sick the tip on, then the leather "folded over" the rest of the blade.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 9 months ago

After seeing that Aurelia I started looking around and just bought a Multiverse Legends Grimgin halo foil thanks to you bums.

DirkGently

Am I the only one who used the Flamberge in dark souls? Wavy swords are totally a thing.

Got a nice bout of stomach flu just in time for the prerelease. Had to cancel my plans yesterday but I think I'll be okay today. Already preordered Kellan, I couldn't resist.

Am I crazy or are prices pretty low? Only 9 cards worth more than $5. That's also true for MOM, but MOM has been out for months and WOE just came out yesterday.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

DirkGently wrote:
9 months ago
Am I the only one who used the Flamberge in dark souls?
I'm one of those weirdos that usually uses magic.

You're playing a FANTASY game, why does everyone play a human with a big sword????

(All in good fun, play whatever you want)

DirkGently

Oh I did nearly everything in DS1. My last character I played through so many NG+ cycles that I was able to do a full run using only Wrath of the Gods. Think I had 30 of them attuned lol.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 9 months ago

Dark Souls 3 "daggers and bows only" run was rather fun for me. The only boss I didn't beat on that run was Midir (I'm sure I eventually could have but chipping through that massive life bar was getting tedious). Gael was an intense fight with just daggers.

DirkGently

Important question: which of the three Kellan printings is bestest?
Last edited by DirkGently 9 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 9 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
9 months ago
:chairhit:
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
9 months ago
:chairhit:
Oh hush, I fixed it. Multiverse ID is weird.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

DirkGently wrote:
9 months ago
Regular > Alt Art >>> Full Art

Dunadain
I like turtles

Usually I'm a fan of the alternate prints, but the regular at is the best on this case by a country mile.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”