Unreleased and New Card Discussion

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Tor Wauki the Younger is fun. Evolved Sleeper is a cool take on Figure of Destiny, though the costs are kinda clunky in a normal curve. Ramirez DePietro, Pillager is fun, similar to other pirates though.

Jasmine Boreal of the Seven seems real bad. I'm amazed there's interest in vanilla tribal commanders. Seems like a very boring way to lose.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I like Evolved Sleeper a lot. Doesn't look like it will make a big impact in EDH, but seems like a lot of fun in cube.
Shivan Devastator is clean and simple. Somewhat interesting to compare to Stonecoil Serpent as a similarly-costed creature. Again though, looks like it will be mostly for other formats.

I have mixed feelings re: hearing that there will, again, be a legend in every pack. They made the last Dominaria set a lot of fun, but it feels like sets these days have waaaay too many legends, so it doesn't feel as special. Still, should be some interesting stuff.

Beyond that... someone out there is going to be cracking a bunch of collector boosters in hopes of finding a The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, but they certainly won't be me. >.> Still, it's certainly a splashy promotion to run. No Floral Spuzzem is disappointing though.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

They said the Jaya and Teferi card is a cycle of planeswalkers teaming up and we have what seems to be Ajani and Liliana teaming up (so black spell with a W and/or G kicker), so we might need a higher number of walkers to support the legendary theme like a mini war of the spark. Jared and Dihaha being the commanders points to this.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Tor Wauki the Younger Im here for rakdos spellslinger. I might even convert my Toshiro Umezawa into Tor.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Shivan Devastator is kinda funny but the highlight for me has to be seeing Braids again. <3

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Igzex wrote:
1 year ago
Shivan Devastator is kinda funny but the highlight for me has to be seeing Braids again. <3
Flavor text confirms the next praetor is in this set too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
… someone out there is going to be cracking a bunch of collector boosters in hopes of finding a The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, but they certainly won't be me. >.> Still, it's certainly a splashy promotion to run.
What this?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
… someone out there is going to be cracking a bunch of collector boosters in hopes of finding a The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, but they certainly won't be me. >.> Still, it's certainly a splashy promotion to run.
What this?
A rumor about boosters including very old/expensive cards.

Tor Wauki the Younger is the best of the lot so far.

Mookie

Legend wrote:
1 year ago
Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
What this?
Link
Mothership wrote:That's right. You could open a Dominaria United Collector Booster and find yourself staring at one of these.

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
Moat
Nicol Bolas

There are, of course, some details. We included cards of every rarity, so it could be anything from a common to a rare (mythic rare didn't exist back then). We only had a finite number of cards from the set, so only about 3% of Collector Boosters will have a Lost Legends card. Any Lost Legends card will replace a common foil card in the Collector Booster, and they will all be English and, of course, non-foil.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Only 3% of collector boosters have a Legends card?
And only maybe 10% or less of those will be something special. So you have at best a 0.3% chance of pulling a chase card. But if you are going to play the lottery, I guess there is a bigger jackpot this go around.

**I made the second number up, but looking at the available legends cards, there are a lot of duds. And there are a couple notable cards left out, namely Nether Void and Sylvan Library

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

How many years do we have to wait for them to "find" a pallet of Revised?

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Jasmine Boreal of the Seven seems real bad. I'm amazed there's interest in vanilla tribal commanders. Seems like a very boring way to lose.
A friend of mine is actually excited about this one. He currently has a Ruxa, Patient Professor deck and this let's him add a color for a lot more options It's not the most powerful deck, a bit of a meme, but has occasionally been impressive throwing out a bunch of tokens that are essentially unblockable.

DirkGently

Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
A friend of mine is actually excited about this one. He currently has a Ruxa, Patient Professor deck and this let's him add a color for a lot more options It's not the most powerful deck, a bit of a meme, but has occasionally been impressive throwing out a bunch of tokens that are essentially unblockable.
I feel like if you're using tokens

1) That kinda nullifies the meme? Vanilla creatures are ridiculous to use in commander - tokens are just a normal archetype.
2) You don't take full advantage of your commander's abilities.
3) There are way stronger and/or more interesting commanders to use for tokens. Especially since you're locked into tokens without abilities, and you can't even give them abilities. Like if you cast overrun you lose the bonus.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
I feel like if you're using tokens

1) That kinda nullifies the meme? Vanilla creatures are ridiculous to use in commander - tokens are just a normal archetype.
2) You don't take full advantage of your commander's abilities.
3) There are way stronger and/or more interesting commanders to use for tokens. Especially since you're locked into tokens without abilities, and you can't even give them abilities. Like if you cast overrun you lose the bonus.
He uses a mix of vanilla creature cards and token generation. Don't get me wrong, it's not a "good deck" and he's well aware. He just liked the idea of Ruxa and wanted to see what could be done with it. Definitely not the deck he pulls out to get super serious.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

I think a Vanilla deck with @DirkGently running it would be perfect for his group lol
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I hate that they make Ramirez less flamboyant with each printing. First one is classic and sets the standard for pirates everywhere. Second he's a ghost, which is whatever, but he's no fun anymore. Now he's back in the flesh, and I can barely distinguish him from any other generic pirate. What happened to lying about his age? Where's the majestic coat and the mass of curly hair swept aside by the sea breeze?

What a waste.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

Ruiner wrote:
1 year ago
He uses a mix of vanilla creature cards and token generation. Don't get me wrong, it's not a "good deck" and he's well aware. He just liked the idea of Ruxa and wanted to see what could be done with it. Definitely not the deck he pulls out to get super serious.
I never thought it would be good. I guess it makes sense to use a mixture, but it seems like it'd constantly be pushing towards just going pure tokens since the vanilla creatures are so useless. Nothing truly vanilla is even remotely playable in commander afaik. So it seems to me that I'd either way to commit to the garbage vanilla deck for the joke, or eschew the idea entirely. The token deck just seems like a bad, uninteresting token deck, imo.
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I think a Vanilla deck with @DirkGently running it would be perfect for his group lol
It'd probably be fine on the power level, the issue is that it doesn't interest me in the slightest. Once you get past the joke, it seems really boring to build and play imo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

I think the only playable vanilla creatures are creatures with "bear" -creature type. And the only reason is that you don't have that many creatures with "bear" -creature type

If Jasmine allowed french vanilla at least...

Mookie

More Unfinity previews!

Far Out is acorn, so its legality is somewhat up in the air, but looks quite strong for some decks. Ramos, Dragon Engine/Niv-Mizzet Reborn Lucky Charms?
Magar of the Magic Strings looks quite powerful. I don't see any text limiting the mana value of the reanimated spells, so three mana Rise of the Dark Realms / Plague Wind seems quite strong (assuming you can connect). Juuuust out of range of Break Through the Line working though.

More broadly, stickers are.... uh... yeah. I honestly have no idea what to say.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 1 year ago

Stickers seem neat to me. They're more versatile/random counters, and tickets let them have variable power levels.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 year ago

With Magar of the Magic Strings strings

Oh boy get Void Maw while cheap that's the ultimate card with Magar

And here's why

According to comprehensive rule 616.1 if two different objects do the exact same replacement effect the affected object's controller/owner or affect player chooses which one gets to apply

And here's the key Void maw it has a ability to put cards back into the graveyard from exiled with it and for those playing at home, that means you can reload the instants and sorceries that magar used to turn into creatures

DirkGently

Voidmaw is 6 mana, it's really not that worthwhile. I'd assume that you're usually setting up Magar so that you're going to connect immediately, making long-term durability less important.

Definitely interesting that the spells can keep re-triggering, unlike Living Lore for example. The lack of a mv restriction does mean we're probably looking at high-cmc payoffs, which makes things kinda boring. plague winding every turn sounds obnoxious. Din of the Fireherd, Curse of the Cabal, Blood for the Blood God!, Cabal Conditioning, All Is Dust (should work?), Brass's Bounty. Fevered Suspicion ... oh god, of course Fury of the Horde (and all the cheaper versions that didn't appear in my scryfall search) that just go infinite (at least until you kill everyone without blockers, or they stop letting your dude through).

edit: I think this is all of them: Relentless Assault, Savage Beating, World at War, Seize the Day.

So yeah probably a kill on sight, or at least keep removal up always, commander. Otherwise all he needs is 3 mana and some equipment to make it unblockable and the game is over.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 1 year ago

Magar of the Magic Strings sounds like a leader for Temporal Extortion as well. With all the extra combat stuff mentioned above, it gets nasty real quick.

Power level aside, I've always liked manifest and morph effects. I don't think I'm responsible for reminding my opponent which creature is which? XD

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

If I sticker a reserved list card with a sticker changing it's name, can Wizard's reprint that card?
:unamused: :\ :money:

I can only dream of the wonderful day where I can Saw in Half my opponent's Gandalf that has a McDonald's sticker on it, for maximum flavor purposes.

I was content with the goofy wackiness of Un-sets being just that, a self contained realm of light-heartedness. But that self contained system wasn't making the money so time to shove it down everyone's throats. Classic Wizards.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Mookie

Weird rules note: stickers stay on cards when moving to public zones (such as the graveyard or command zone). So, sort of like Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - they only get taken off if bounced to hand or library (since those are hidden zones)... which opens up the possibility of doing some sort of sticker-voltron deck, where you try to throw as many stickers on your commander as possible. The P/T stickers seem like strong choices to throw on a small-sized commander, and I could imagine some of the rules text stickers having strong effects. The random nature of sticker availability makes it difficult to build around anything specific though (you only have at best a 3/10 chance of having access to any particular sticker sheet).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”