[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
In pointless things that I've spent way too much brainpower on, I've finally figured out why they named the black mana myr Leaden Myr instead of Lead Myr. It's so that Lead (Plumbum) isn't confused with Lead (Duco). I feel like I should've figured that out soon since I always make fun of Lead Dental whenever I drive past it.
I really hate that google couldn't tell me this first, but pardon my ignorance: what is lead (duco)? I only know about plumbum and it's bugging me.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
In pointless things that I've spent way too much brainpower on, I've finally figured out why they named the black mana myr Leaden Myr instead of Lead Myr. It's so that Lead (Plumbum) isn't confused with Lead (Duco). I feel like I should've figured that out soon since I always make fun of Lead Dental whenever I drive past it.
I really hate that google couldn't tell me this first, but pardon my ignorance: what is lead (duco)? I only know about plumbum and it's bugging me.
Lead (Duco) is the Leadership type of Lead. But it also might be because my latin is really, really bad.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
Lead (Duco) is the Leadership type of Lead. But it also might be because my latin is really, really bad.
Thank you, the Latin threw me.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

My favorite word for this is pitch.

Pitch me that baseball.
Your pitch is off.
The boat started to pitch.
Apply some pitch to that to waterproof it.
I have a great concept I'm trying to pitch.
The pitch of the roof isn't too bad.
Meet me for some cricket out on the pitch.

I could go on. At some point, maybe we should just make a new word for one of these seven+ different meanings? :P
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
My favorite word for this is pitch.

Pitch me that baseball.
Your pitch is off.
The boat started to pitch.
Apply some pitch to that to waterproof it.
I have a great concept I'm trying to pitch.
The pitch of the roof isn't too bad.
Meet me for some cricket out on the pitch.

I could go on. At some point, maybe we should just make a new word for one of these seven+ different meanings? :P
Then there are words like run and set that have hundreds of meanings.

This reminds me of a book one of my uncles got me in high school. It was about Alchemy or something... I don't know. I just remember them trying to come up with an unambiguous language. And were idealizing the whole thing. It being really stupid, boring, and I didn't finishing it.

On a different note, apparently Modern Horizons 2 is the best selling set of all time now. I guess everyone was acting like they were a kid at Trader Joe's and trying to find the monkey.

Venedrex

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
This reminds me of a book one of my uncles got me in high school. It was about Alchemy or something... I don't know. I just remember them trying to come up with an unambiguous language. And were idealizing the whole thing. It being really stupid, boring, and I didn't finishing it.
Coincidentally I played Alchemy and found it was written with an unambigous language, really stupid, boring and I didn't finish it.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

As some of you know, there is a whole Custom Cards section here on Nexus and we have some monthly contests running there. One of them is a Card Creation League, which ends with an open poll to determine the month's winner from among the finalists. It is only a minute or two to read the designs and cast a vote, which you can do here. You can do it with no further attachment and at the same time each vote is a valuable information to the finalists. And if you have even more time and nothing else to do, you can comment on some or all designs you find particulary interesting.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I'd like to tell you about the recent trip my Kykar, Wind's Fury deck took to Magical Christmas land.

I wasn't doing great. I was answering threats one-for-one but not really able to establish much of a winning board state. My board was Kykar, Saheeli, Sublime Artificer, and four tokes from each. I was starting to run out of gas. But then, The Mirari Conjecture hit its final chapter, and from these humble beginnings, over 100 points of damage were dealt. Come with me, won't you?

So, as the Conjecture hit chapter III and allowed me to copy every instant and sorcery that turn, I started off with Preordain. On the second one, I saw it. I looked at my hand, back to the card, back to my hand, back to the card. It was Insult // Injury. I cast it, put a copy on the stack, held priority, then calmly announced: Fork. I now had a 16x damage multiplier and plenty of mana left over to cast the Aftermath portion of Insult // Injury, which would also be copied. Those eight humble tokens knocked out two players, and Injury took care of the third.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Hermes_

Only an idiot would uninstall skyrim and close to 200 mods, only to reinstall the game and start modding
SPOILER
Show
Hide
It's me, I'm the idiot

Venedrex

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Only an idiot would uninstall skyrim and close to 200 mods, only to reinstall the game and start modding
SPOILER
Show
Hide
It's me, I'm the idiot
I don't know about 200 mods, but my favorite pastime is to carefully select 10-30 mods for my imaginary world famous Minecraft modpack, tinker with them until everything is perfect, play for a few minutes, determine that no one would ever enjoy this pack and better versions exist, uninstall everything, rinse and repeat three months later.

The hilarious thing is, I know that I'm going to get another crazy modpack idea and start over, but I literally just find the process of pretending to make a modpack so much fun that I'm never frustrated at all and have a great time even when I decide to scrap everything and begin again. Its like the Minecraft version of endlessly building the perfect deck but never actually building IRL.

For example: Hmm, I should make a Post-Apocalyptic modpack, that's never been done before. But my version will be different. Ic2, Wasteland mod, tweaks to spawn settings, mob spawn controls, bunker starting items, oh yeah, it's all coming together. Later on. This is stupid, no fun, why would anyone ever play this modpack you can't even experience half the game! Whoever designed this was a moron! Anyways, time to start making the perfect Minecraft experience, hmm let's see Thaumcraft, Forestry... 1.7.10 of course.........

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Anyone else playing Marvel Snap? I wasn't sure it was going to be for me but then suddenly I realize I have been playing it for multiple hours a day since it launched last week. Its monetization feels like I didn't just get bent over by blizard / hasbro and I am wondering what's happening lol. The free to play option is actually totally fine and they did a great job putting players against similar collection level opponents. It feels really weird because most free to play try to steal all your money and let you flex with spending which the game has very little options for. It looks like they are going to try to monetize on cosmetics which feels really refreshing for a TCG.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
Anyone else playing Marvel Snap? I wasn't sure it was going to be for me but then suddenly I realize I have been playing it for multiple hours a day since it launched last week. Its monetization feels like I didn't just get bent over by blizard / hasbro and I am wondering what's happening lol. The free to play option is actually totally fine and they did a great job putting players against similar collection level opponents. It feels really weird because most free to play try to steal all your money and let you flex with spending which the game has very little options for. It looks like they are going to try to monetize on cosmetics which feels really refreshing for a TCG.
I haven't even touched i yet, but after such a glowing endorsement I'll give it a shot.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I was turned off by hearing it was like Gwent and I'm not a fan, but I've still been meaning to give it a try. I'm lucky if I have a half hour for games right now and that time is usually spent in PvE Legends of Runeterra (speaking of games that are very free to play).

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
I was turned off by hearing it was like Gwent and I'm not a fan, but I've still been meaning to give it a try. I'm lucky if I have a half hour for games right now and that time is usually spent in PvE Legends of Runeterra (speaking of games that are very free to play).
I have no idea what Gwent is but it is free to play and games generally take about 5 minutes so its really nice even if you don't have much free time to give it attention. It is designed for mobile so you can play from the phone and it has a good mobile experience.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Hermes_

so if your a Doctor Who fan who has D+

Dunadain
I like turtles

That's pretty hype, I watched all the seasons you get for free with Amazon Prime, they were pretty good, not good enough for me to buy the more recent series, but goodenough for me to check this out.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
so if your a Doctor Who fan who has D+

Oh man I can't wait for the inevitable MCU crossover. [Disclaimer: The previous sentence is a joke and Moonlighter can and will wait instead of watching Disney do the same thing to this IP that they like to do to their other IPs.]
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Updated piloting photo (where I'm not sweaty please stop calling me sweaty :P)

Been flying my syndicated plane for the past week and it's been super fun. Handles incredibly compared to the rental planes. And so damn cheap. I'm paying less than 60 USD per hour. Trying to get my CPL done by February, we'll see how that goes.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Been flying my syndicated plane for the past week and it's been super fun. Handles incredibly compared to the rental planes. And so damn cheap. I'm paying less than 60 USD per hour. Trying to get my CPL done by February, we'll see how that goes.
Cool. My stepdad (now 82) was a small plane pilot for about 50 years and instructor for about 30, until he had a heart attack. After he recovered, he took to building simulators for personal use and "flies" from home to this day. At one point, he had an actual plane fuselage in his mancave with a simulator in it. Pilots are a different breed.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Dunadain
I like turtles

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
I haven't even touched i yet, but after such a glowing endorsement I'll give it a shot.
So update: yeah it's pretty fun! With a pretty fair f2p experience.

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Updated piloting photo (where I'm not sweaty please stop calling me sweaty :P)

You equipped Cobbled Wings

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

@Hermes_ lol, hey now, it might be a microlight but it's certainly more structurally stable than optimism.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

New deck idea: unsleeved Jon Irenicus, Shattered One where you donate HP/MP drawback beaters like Drinker of Sorrow. The sentimental copy of Phyrexian Negator I kept when I sold out 15 years ago is slightly water damaged...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”