[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Argothian Enchantress

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 months ago

Friday, February 23rd, 2024; Fumiko the Lowblood

Is this thing even good? It doesn't deter combat at you. So doesn't this just backfire?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 months ago

Sure it deters attacks against you - you're the only one who can keep back blockers. Plus bushido can make her pretty big.

Honestly she's still quite efficient. Compare Angler Turtle which costs almost twice as much,
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 months ago

Fumiko the Lowblood is sweet, she'd probably be my favorite forced combat option, but Thantis, the Warweaver has more colors.

👍👍
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 months ago

I've seen Fumiko played in the 99 a few times, and it doesn't generally deter people attacking the Fumiko player, IME. I like that it doesn't just "goad everything." I think the card is playable to force other creature-oriented decks to make choices and progress the game without it being a cataclysm like it would be from Avatar of Slaughter.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 2 months ago

Fumiko is a niche effect, as you want it in a deck that both wants the table to go aggro and also can keep the attacks away from itself,but when you have that kind of deck, this in the conversation for the best effect of its kind (I'm also an Angel's Trumpet fan).
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

3drinks

Saturday, February 24th, 2024; Counterspell|plgm

Just how good is the OG? We're still playing counterspell in our decks, or it's gotten pushed out?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Sinis wrote:
2 months ago
I've seen Fumiko played in the 99 a few times, and it doesn't generally deter people attacking the Fumiko player, IME. I like that it doesn't just "goad everything." I think the card is playable to force other creature-oriented decks to make choices and progress the game without it being a cataclysm like it would be from Avatar of Slaughter.
Love doing a t1 Reanimate on the avatar. Let the fun begin!!

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunadain
I like turtles

I was going to tell you all where on my list I rank Counterspell, but people got angry at me when I did that for Deadly Cover-Up.

Suffice is to say, it's pretty good, decks that are only running a couple counterspells might prefer alternatives, and cEDH decks will usually prefer 1 mana counterspells with drabacks, but any deck that wants reliable counter spells (aka, pretty much every blue deck I play) will at least consider this card.

There's also something I enjoy about playing the iconic version of an effect. I can't play Terror, Divination, or Lightning Bolt in 2024, but I can still roll up with Counterspell.

👍👍

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 months ago

It's honestly still a fine card. A lot of commander players only think they really need to splurge on more meta picks like Flusterstorm and Force of Negation because of internet stuff like EDHRec and Youtube but you'd be amazed at how often this less than a dollar common card can still save your butt.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 months ago

Counterspells are the best removal in the format solving usually unsolvable all problem like Expropriate, Craterhoof Behemoth, Torment of Hailfire or Thassa's Oracle. If you're running blue you should be running at least a couple. Someone else is trying to win the game, Counterspell has got your back.

UU is a little rough for greedy multicolor decks. If you're going full cEDH it looks like there are better options, but short of that slapping it into your removal suite is never gonna be bad.

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

I stand by my opinion that Arcane Denial is almost strictly better in commander. I rarely get to the point I want counterspell these days. I like my easy casting ones like Memory Lapse even. or Delay or Ertai's Meddling.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 months ago

Counterspell is playable. Shocking, I know.

I don't think it is the 'best' counterspell for many decks, but it's still the gold standard, The fact that it is dirt cheap is a big plus in my book. Sure, Mana Drain is strictly better, and I would usually also prefer Fierce Guardianship, Force of Will, or Swan Song for a higher-powered table... but the mere fact that any blue deck can slot in this under-a-dollar common with 50+ printings and stop even the splashiest of bombs is pretty healthy for the format, IMO. I don't think it goes in every deck that can play it, but it's always a reasonable starting point - even if it's sometimes 'wrong' to play it, it's rarely that wrong.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 months ago

I wouldn't necessarily compare Counterspell to Mana Drain, Force of Will and the likes, as most metas don't really need that type of power or rarely see anyone splashing that much money.

Among cheap-ish Counterspells, it is to day a reliable piece of interaction, if double blue pips isn't much of a problem for your deck.
Arcane Denial, Delay, Memory Lapse and Remand would complete my top5 of non-restrictive counters on a cheap. Considering their downsides and all of them not needing double pips, Arcane Denial might actually be the best of them.

Sure there are An Offer You Can't Refuse, Flusterstorm, Negate, Swan Song and the likes, but especially if the power level isn't over the top, i prefer my interaction to be sturdy rather than mana efficient but somewhat limited.

Bottom line, Counterspell is still up there, even in high power metas, but especially everywhere below that.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 months ago

I agree with @pokken about Arcane Denial, but there's a clean elegance to Counterspell; no caveats, no provisos, just a clean "no."
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

DirkGently

Rankings are kinda pointless since it is very meta-dependent...flusterstorm is meh in normal commander but cEDH plays it. But as far as a generic list goes, I'd say it's definitely behind Arcane Denial and Mana Drain, usually behind Force of Will and Force of Negation depending on meta, and probably pretty equal with An Offer You Can't Refuse? Mindbreak Trap and Wash Away are also interesting...

Anyway, it's definitely still up there. They push the envelope with removal a fair bit, but most of the best counterspells are still the old ones. And obviously a lot of the better options are budget unfriendly.
Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
people got angry at me when [...]I can't play [...] Lightning Bolt in 2024
Lightning bolt is a completely viable card :madhot: :madhot: :madhot:
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
Agree. Similarly, I run Lightning Helix in General Ferrous Rokiric. Originally, I put it in there because it's a cheap spell that will get me a 4/4 body, thinking that it'll sometimes have a good target. But it always has a good target.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

Sunday, February 25th, 2024; Cloudstone Curio

So now that everyone's fave combo piece isn't $45usd, what do we think of it?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
Rankings are kinda pointless since it is very meta-dependent...flusterstorm is meh in normal commander but cEDH plays it. But as far as a generic list goes, I'd say it's definitely behind Arcane Denial and Mana Drain, usually behind Force of Will and Force of Negation depending on meta
I never thought I'd see the day where Mana Drain fell below Force of Will's price point and both would be near Force of Negation. Fascinating.
DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
Proud of having killed a player with lightning bolt in multiple occasions. Still trying to get a K-Command kill.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunadain
I like turtles

Degenerate combo garbo.

👎👎

DirkGently

Yeah fr screw this stupid card. No one has ever used this thing for good.
3drinks wrote:
2 months ago
I never thought I'd see the day where Mana Drain fell below Force of Will's price point and both would be near Force of Negation. Fascinating.
Get ready to extra-blow-your-mind when you see the price of Mindbreak Trap compared to Mana Drain and Force of Will.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 months ago

3drinks wrote:
2 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
Proud of having killed a player with lightning bolt in multiple occasions. Still trying to get a K-Command kill.
I made the mistake of asking why another player runs bolt and well now he kills me with it every chance he can

As for today's card..I don't own one and have no clue about it being a combo piece.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 months ago

Oh hey one of those cards that essentially tell the table exactly what you are planning to do and that by casting this card you have forfeited your right to complain when we kill you.

3drinks

Idk, I used it pretty fairly in Kaalia, Zenith Seeker. Did what it said on the tin.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 months ago

Igzex wrote:
2 months ago
Oh hey one of those cards that essentially tell the table exactly what you are planning to do and that by casting this card you have forfeited your right to complain when we kill you.
This sums up my opinion perfectly.
3drinks wrote:
2 months ago
Idk, I used it pretty fairly in Kaalia, Zenith Seeker. Did what it said on the tin.
Sure, it technically can be used fairly. It's much better practice to aggressively murder whoever cast this, looking at their deck after the game and then apologizing afterwards. Then, making an exception to the above rule for specifically that player in future games .

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 months ago

Yeah I use this to kill tables in Lathliss. Being able to use the token Lathliss makes to bounce the dragon that triggered Lathliss is a wild state of affairs.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”