[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 3 months ago

I still buy a few packs of every set, but mostly buy singles these days. BUT, I do buy a few packs of each set to sock away for a chaos drafts or something else. I've been doing that for nearly a decade now. Maybe if we ever have a Nexus meetup...
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
3 months ago
Not saying that singles are cheap but you know exactly what its going to cost for a project or improvement.
I used to be on the singles train when I could pick up a pile of EDH goodies for $1-3 each or so. If I want to pick up 4 cards for $12 each I'll just print them out and buy an entire new board game instead.

My upper limit of what I want to spend on a single card is about $5 as it turns out. Their FOMO piles of packs has made me spend significantly less so I'm no longer their target audience.

I basically just draft Remastered old sets with my brother now a days. He recently drafted OG Innistrad which was neat.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 months ago

materpillar wrote:
2 months ago
My upper limit of what I want to spend on a single card is about $5 as it turns out.
Yep.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

yeah interestingly $5 is about my number too, maybe $10. I rarely buy anything that expensive and just trade old stuff as much as I can

when a new set comes out I usually buy all the cheap stuff I want, and then buy foils for Ephara of anything specific, and sometimes I'll get one or two mythic staples (E.g. Ojer Taq, Deepest Foundation // Temple of Civilization from this set:P)

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 months ago

the one good thing about the product onsurge is that I can buy newly-reprinted lands I've always wanted for $5 when they used to be $15 to $30. was really happy when they reprinted Forbidden Orchard in particular!!! but I have bought a few expensive cards lately... things like Land Tax, Dance of the Dead 'n such to replace proxies in decks full of classic cards. I think I've settled into that $5 limit on new cards like many people but you could probably convince me to spend too much on some tatty and underpowered Antiquities card any time

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 months ago

I think I've settled on about 25 quid as my limit, but even then its subjective. Like, I'm not gonna spend that if it's only high cause of another format, I'll wait for rotation. Something good and old that's not coming down past 35-50? Yeah I'll go for that out of my hobby budget, but it's a considered purchase. Anything past that is both considered and for things like tax rebates, or celebrations. For example, I plan on getting the last seven foils I need for Molimo when I get a new job, and one of them is Nykthos.

The main reason I don't proxy is the shop I play at is a singles seller, and it's just a bit rude really.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 2 months ago

I'm pretty shameless buying singles for Zedruu. Otherwise, a couple bucks is about right, and I'd rather trade whenever possible.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 2 months ago

Somebody was moaning about having to mull 4 times in a game. Here is a direct quote:

"Ug, I run 34 lands, how can I only draw 2 landers?"

Dude, your EV is 2.4 lands in a starting hand, the odds of you drawing a 2 lander 3 times in a row is ~10% XD

run more lands folks.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
Somebody was moaning about having to mull 4 times in a game. Here is a direct quote:

Dude, your EV is 2.4 lands in a starting hand, the odds of you drawing a 2 lander 3 times in a row is ~10% XD

run more lands folks.
Yeah I mean this works if you're on tymna and 10 cantrips and 15 ramp spells

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago

run more lands folks.
The other side of this is realising that this is your opening hand. It can't possibly give you everything you need to complete a game (at least outside of nut hands in cedh). All you really need from your starting hand is a solid plan to stay in the game the first couple turns and gain some advantage through cards or board presence or otherwise. All this tells you about this guy is that they've got a bomb spell they're pinning all their hopes on playing turn 4, and if you can counter it or remove it they're out of the game.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunadain
I like turtles

toctheyounger wrote:
2 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago

run more lands folks.
The other side of this is realising that this is your opening hand. It can't possibly give you everything you need to complete a game (at least outside of nut hands in cedh). All you really need from your starting hand is a solid plan to stay in the game the first couple turns and gain some advantage through cards or board presence or otherwise. All this tells you about this guy is that they've got a bomb spell they're pinning all their hopes on playing turn 4, and if you can counter it or remove it they're out of the game.
For sure, 34 lands is actually totally reasonable for some decks, but those decks better be comfortable keeping 2 landers.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago

run more lands folks.
As I've played longer, I've gradually returned to the 40 land starting point. I can stand having to topdeck or die in the lategame, but I despise being mana-screwed early and having a non-game because of that. EDH games take too much time to stomach that level of risk.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

So, hilarious anecdote and possible scathing indictment of the myriad printings for each set we currently see. I'm about to drop into my LGS and just registering some cards for trade to offset the credit. One of them is Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider, the nonfoil basic %$#% version. Because no one can read Phyrexian, and the showcase versions aren't for everyone, this is the version with the best trade value, including the step-and-compleat foil from the March of the Machines Multiverse Legends special guests edition yada yada. By like 5 bucks in most cases, a good solid 20 in the case of the phyrexian versions.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Yeah, I go out of my way to buy the basic %$#% version of cards. borderless, foil, treatment, foreign language, I don't care, I don't want it.

I'm actually considering buying a nice looking playtest proxy of Nexus of Fate because i despise foils.

toctheyounger

I'll get the showcase stuff I think is pretty and comparable in price. I don't regret my foil showcase Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty by any stretch. It's a delight to look at.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 months ago

I'll get whatever's available provided it's in English and I don't hate the art. Big fan of buying cards rated anywhere down to Lightly Played as well cause they're usually basically NM but the seller didn't want to argue over a dinged up corner for the sake of three quid.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Dunadain
I like turtles

A company was going to offer me a position, but since it took me an entire TWO HOURS to respond to their email, they decided to go with a different candidate.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 2 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
A company was going to offer me a position, but since it took me an entire TWO HOURS to respond to their email, they decided to go with a different candidate.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
Honestly that seems like a huge red flag anyway. Maybe everything would have been fine once you got in there since HR is not the same as the hiring manager (though I don't know who made the decision to go with someone else) but it seems like you may have dodged a bullet.

If the email did come from HR it might be worthwhile to go back to the person who did your interview and simply state that you are disappointed in their decision but that you hope they keep you in mind in the future.

If the decision to go with someone else came from the hiring manager because you didn't respond in 2 hours, I think you are better off. Things would not be good once in there as that sounds like a pretty severe micromanager.

Either way, sorry for the lost opportunity and I hope you come across something else in the near future.

Dunadain
I like turtles

@WizardMN, yeah, you're probably right, but after 3 weeks I'm getting desperate XD.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 months ago

Okay so does anyone remember how, four months ago when the Doctor Who commander set came out (it was only 4 months? Geez it feels like forever), I was pretty negative about the show?

Well, I've now watched series 1-12 of the new show, every episode, plus a couple episodes of the old show, just so I could come back and have significantly more nuanced opinions about it.

My opinion is: Meh. It's okay. Not great but not bad. There's a few good episodes and a lot of meh episodes. And everyone is right, the 13th Doctor is the worst.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 months ago

I haven't watched much of Who but I did hear that unfortunately the writing went to absolute %$#% and Jodie Whitaker got a bum deal. Or maybe she sucked, too.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
I haven't watched much of Who but I did hear that unfortunately the writing went to absolute %$#% and Jodie Whitaker got a bum deal. Or maybe she sucked, too.
I'm not much of an acting critic, but I do know bad writing. And holy crap was the writing bad.

Spoilers for season 11 episode 7, I guess.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The episode that pissed me off the most is where they go to a moon that's been turned into a giant amazon-style warehouse, complete with overworked and disrespected employees doing menial labor. Incidentally robots are fully capable of doing all the work, but the government has mandated that humans have to do 10% of the labor so that people can still have jobs even if they're awful jobs - so much for an idealized future where man's labor can finally be complete, I suppose. That would all be fine setup for a dystopia, except that the Doctor absolutely tongue-washes the mega-corporation, loves everything about it, huge fan.

Okay, the Doctor can be wrong, but the plot - they've been brought to the moon because someone sent an emergency SOS - eventually shows how bad this whole situation is, right? Nope! After several red-herrings about, y'know, the people you'd expect to be responsible for exploitation in the warehouse, upper management (they're totally cool by the way, actually very good people according to the story), it's revealed that the reason the SOS got sent was that the system itself - responsible for the army of delivery robots - noticed that the janitor was going to use the robots to do terrorism. The reason? To protest the fact that humanity is horrifically underemployed and all the jobs that exist are garbage. Y'know, an extremely reasonable thing to be upset about - but they've attached his concerns to terrorism, so now he's wrong and the megacorporation is in the right.

After some extremely cringey lectures the Doctor explodes him and the day is saved etc. Then the upper management characters both say "gee, we've decided out of the goodness of our hearts to have fewer robots and more humans." Forget that the jobs suck, forget that no corporation would willingly overregulate itself for "the greater good". Billionaires are actually super cool people, you guys! They'll definitely fix everything of their own free will. Don't go asking to improve the system, that's immoral.

The Doctor, corporate bootlicker. Didn't have that one on my bingo card, but here we are.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 months ago

I was playing Brawl today and faced an Hepatra player that give some early GGs, then I made a comeback and he left let the ropes go down and made me wait for several tiemouts.

I'll be honest, the early GGs followed by salt are a net positive game experience for me lmao

toctheyounger

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
Okay so does anyone remember how, four months ago when the Doctor Who commander set came out (it was only 4 months? Geez it feels like forever), I was pretty negative about the show?

Well, I've now watched series 1-12 of the new show, every episode, plus a couple episodes of the old show, just so I could come back and have significantly more nuanced opinions about it.

My opinion is: Meh. It's okay. Not great but not bad. There's a few good episodes and a lot of meh episodes. And everyone is right, the 13th Doctor is the worst.
GOOD LORD that is a lot of Who to watch in a very short time.

Generally I agree, though. The good stuff is very good, but there's a lot of middling forgettable stuff in there too. I enjoyed most of David Tennant's run, he's a very good actor. And Peter Capaldi was great too. I tuned out of Jodie Whittaker, she seemed okay acting wise, but the stories to me were not compelling. I think a lot of the backlash from the fandom was pretty horrifically misogynist from memory, I couldn't care if they cast a badger as the next Doctor so long as it can act. The writing was just very bad, so yeah in a sense Whittaker caught a bad deal.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 months ago
I tuned out of Jodie Whittaker, she seemed okay acting wise, but the stories to me were not compelling. I think a lot of the backlash from the fandom was pretty horrifically misogynist from memory, I couldn't care if they cast a badger as the next Doctor so long as it can act. The writing was just very bad, so yeah in a sense Whittaker caught a bad deal.
I think a factor in this was covid as well. Been talking with a friend on tv shows and its kinda jarring when you hit the covid seasons and seeing how the production of the show had to change around, stuff like how actors wouldn't get as close to each other in scenes or the lack of extras in what would be crowded areas. Its gonna be really interesting to review/study media from 2020-present with both covid and the writers strike happening within the last 4 years.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”