[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

Ok now I'm having an existential crisis about how to pronounce Necropotence, a card name I've been saying out loud for nearly 30(!!!) years. Thanks.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 4 months ago

Lifeless wrote:
4 months ago
Ok now I'm having an existential crisis about how to pronounce Necropotence, a card name I've been saying out loud for nearly 30(!!!) years. Thanks.
Please, I am having an existential crisis about whether I have been pronouncing omnipotence and impotence wrong.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

I was 14 when Necro got printed. I'm not sure I knew about omnipotence or impotence at the time.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 4 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago
They are above the law, because Necropotence should be pronounced similarly to omnipotence or impotence, but it's not. And. I. HATE. It.
How is it pronounced? When I was a kid, I thought it was neck-rop-o-tents (phonetically) but now I say nec-ro-po-tents, with long o's in the middle syllables. Although if I say it without thinking about it, the first o is more of a schwa sound, like the o in dragon/wagon. Great. There goes my afternoon.

EDIT - how do y'all pronounce "necromancy" and "necromancer"?

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

@RxPhantom
"Im about to wreck this whole forum, watch me"

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 months ago

well now it's official #MTGruinedforeverd
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 months ago

Guardman wrote:
4 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
4 months ago
Please, I am having an existential crisis about whether I have been pronouncing omnipotence and impotence wrong.
kirkusjones wrote:
4 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago
They are above the law, because Necropotence should be pronounced similarly to omnipotence or impotence, but it's not. And. I. HATE. It.
How is it pronounced? When I was a kid, I thought it was neck-rop-o-tents (phonetically) but now I say nec-ro-po-tents, with long o's in the middle syllables. Although if I say it without thinking about it, the first o is more of a schwa sound, like the o in dragon/wagon. Great. There goes my afternoon.

Ok, so in keeping with words like omnipotence (om-nip-uh-tuhns) and impotence (im-puh-tuhns), it is my staunch belief that Necropotence should be pronounced 'ne-krop-uh-tuhns.' Instead, the official pronunciation is 'nek-ro-poh-tens.' This has bothered me for decades now, but...

English is a lawless, messy stew of other languages, so in response to @kirkusjones: 'nek-ro-man-see' and 'nek-ro-man-ser.' But then necropolis is 'ne-krop-uh-lis' and necropsy follows the same pattern.

Regardless of English's wild inconsistencies, I will die on the hill of Ne-Krop-Uh-Tuhns.
duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
@RxPhantom
"Im about to wreck this whole forum, watch me"
I didn't plan to, but I will by God.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

@RxPhantom English is definitely a lawless mishmash and teaching it to children for whom it is not their first language is a daily challenge. It forces me to confront the inconsistencies and exceptions, causing my brain to seize up as I seek to understand why nation is nay-shun, but national is nash-in-ul.

As for necropotence, omnipotence and impotence, I think the sound of the vowel in the second syllable is more of a schwa sound (like the o in dragon, what we describe to the kids as a "lazy vowel") than long or short o. Necropolis is just applying English pronunciation to a Greek word, which never was meant to follow our dumb spelling rules anyway.

EDIT - Also, for your pronunciation of necropotence to work, the c needs to go with the n and the e in the first syllable, otherwise you end up with nee-krop-uh-tuhns.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 4 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago
Guardman wrote:
4 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
4 months ago
kirkusjones wrote:
4 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago

Ok, so in keeping with words like omnipotence (om-nip-uh-tuhns) and impotence (im-puh-tuhns), it is my staunch belief that Necropotence should be pronounced 'ne-krop-uh-tuhns.' Instead, the official pronunciation is 'nek-ro-poh-tens.' This has bothered me for decades now, but...

English is a lawless, messy stew of other languages, so in response to @kirkusjones: 'nek-ro-man-see' and 'nek-ro-man-ser.' But then necropolis is 'ne-krop-uh-lis' and necropsy follows the same pattern.

Regardless of English's wild inconsistencies, I will die on the hill of Ne-Krop-Uh-Tuhns.
Yeah, that's completely different than I pronounce them. The way I do is the same way I say Necropotence.

Necropotence (Nə-Kro-Po-Təns)
Omnipotence (Am-Ni-Po-Təns)
Impotence (ɪm-Po-Təns)

Also I just realized the schwa (ə) on Nexus looks a lot like an 'a'.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 months ago

Now tell me, how do you pronounce Sean Bean?

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Toshi wrote:
4 months ago
Now tell me, how do you pronounce Sean Bean?
Shawn Bean. My brother's name is Sean, it's the Gaellic variant of Shawn/Shaun, which follow the English spelling convention. Don't try to apply rules or patterns to names, that way lies madness.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

The same way I pronouce the Chinese name Xian

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 months ago

kirkusjones wrote:
4 months ago
Don't try to apply rules or patterns to names, that way lies madness.
Yeah, that's what i was implying.
Neither is he Shawn Bawn nor is he Sean Bean if that makes sense.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

kirkusjones wrote:
4 months ago
@RxPhantom English is definitely a lawless mishmash and teaching it to children for whom it is not their first language is a daily challenge. It forces me to confront the inconsistencies and exceptions, causing my brain to seize up as I seek to understand why nation is nay-shun, but national is nash-in-ul.

As for necropotence, omnipotence and impotence, I think the sound of the vowel in the second syllable is more of a schwa sound (like the o in dragon, what we describe to the kids as a "lazy vowel") than long or short o. Necropolis is just applying English pronunciation to a Greek word, which never was meant to follow our dumb spelling rules anyway.

EDIT - Also, for your pronunciation of necropotence to work, the c needs to go with the n and the e in the first syllable, otherwise you end up with nee-krop-uh-tuhns.
That's how I would've laid it out too, but I was getting those phonetic pronunciation things from dictionary.com, so I deferred to them.
Guardman wrote:
4 months ago
Yeah, that's completely different than I pronounce them. The way I do is the same way I say Necropotence.

Necropotence (Nə-Kro-Po-Təns)
Omnipotence (Am-Ni-Po-Təns)
Impotence (ɪm-Po-Təns)
:dizzy:

My mind boggles!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Gotta love that even in the same language there aren't standard conventions. Dee-lite-full.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Long O gang for life.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Does anyone have eyes on @DirkGently? The levels of pedantry in this conversation should have drawn him to the thread like a cartoon character to a pie on a window sill.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

A few things while we're on it:

Rancor rhymes with anchor.

Garruk is not pronounced 'Guh-rook.' Please stop saying it like this, lest my ears rot and fall off.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

I'm disappointed people aren't as frustrated about the arbitrary spaces in mtg names.

I always hoped there was some underlying rule that I just hadn't picked up on, kind of like how I just learned last week why the colors on dual lands are placed left to right in the order that they are (it's inconsistent with WUBRG, which bothers me, but at least there's SOME logic to it), but I feel like Cliffgate petty much confirms that the spaces are completely arbitrary.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
I'm disappointed people aren't as frustrated about the arbitrary spaces in mtg names.

I always hoped there was some underlying rule that I just hadn't picked up on, kind of like how I just learned last week why the colors on dual lands are placed left to right in the order that they are (it's inconsistent with WUBRG, which bothers me, but at least there's SOME logic to it), but I feel like Cliffgate petty much confirms that the spaces are completely arbitrary.
With how unintuitive and downright confusing some rules interactions are based on sentence construction and location of punctuation, you really think the people at WOTC adhere to logical conventions? There are Secret Lairs to print. UB collabs to chase! No time for your silly spacing. Their bottom line does not care for your desire for logic or consistency, only your dollars.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago
A few things while we're on it:

Rancor rhymes with anchor.

Garruk is not pronounced 'Guh-rook.' Please stop saying it like this, lest my ears rot and fall off.
It's too late for you. Welcome the madness. Let it flow through your veins and unlock your true potential as the greatest troll this site has ever seen.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago

Sea Gate
Sea Gate, Reborn

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago

Sea Gate
Sea Gate, Reborn
Right, all of the other gates have spaces, just not Cliffgate.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago

Sea Gate
Sea Gate, Reborn
Right, all of the other gates have spaces, just not Cliffgate.
They're from different planes, though. That bothers me more.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 months ago

kirkusjones wrote:
4 months ago
Does anyone have eyes on @DirkGently? The levels of pedantry in this conversation should have drawn him to the thread like a cartoon character to a pie on a window sill.
Sorry, I've been busy inventing the COOLEST FICTIONAL MAGIC SYSTEM OF ALL TIME.

I will not be taking questions at this time.

Honestly reading through the posts I'm mostly just increasingly frustrated that nobody is making any indication which syllable they're putting emphasis on. That's, like, 60% of the utility of writing out phonetics.

NEC-ruh-poh-tense
om-NIP-uh-tense
IMP-uh-tense

That's how I pronounce those words.

I don't really care that much if someone else pronounces necropotence differently, but that's how I've heard almost everyone pronounce it.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”