Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 7 months ago

Just realized the extended art cards have flavor text, so that's nice.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Serenade
UnderKing

The Restless land cycle is cool (from across WOE and LCI). I probably will not use any of them in decks ever, but I do like them all.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 7 months ago

I like Get Lost, but I am not sure I like it more than Excise the Imperfect. And I like Excise better than Generous Gift in many instances as well. Excise the imperfect hits any non-land with Exile permanence and hits Gods and other indestructible things. Also doesn't get blanked by Flawless Maneuver, Boros Charm, Hammer of Nazahn, Mithril Coat and others. Now this has a more noticeable downside than Gift, since a 5/5 or 6/6 ground beater is relevant damage, but I will pay the price for Exile in this day and age where instant indestructible is easier to acquire.

Get Lost and Fateful Absence are even for me. Get Lost provides an extra artifact/permanent/token, extra sacrifice trigger, beefs up a creature, fills the GY, or draws a card. A clue does some of these things too, so I'm expecting the downside is largely equivalent in casual settings. I will pick up a couple Get Lost if they are cheap. We have gotten pretty flush with high quality removal in white this past year. Really impressive how many options we have now.

I wouldn't mind a couple multi-color options with less downside for some decks. Maybe a good , , or removal with the "non-land permanent" but an upside, since making it 2 color generally offsets some of the downside by being "harder" to cast. Having white can keep the color pie bending from getting too bad. I mean green never counters spells, and red seldom does, but put on it and now you can splash any color on it for "Counter Target Spell" with upside. Why are removal spells different? When is the last time we saw a removal spell that wasn't Disenchant+? : destroy target Artifact, Enchantment, or Creature, create a food token. anyone?

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 7 months ago

Restless Anchorage is a good sweet card for 60 card formats! specially pioneer. I run Celestial Colonnade in one deck and I think this is a bit better for my case too.

The gods have been pretty strong, giving rebound to every instant you cast is pretty sweet imho

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 7 months ago

I wonder what the fastest way to get 1000 time counters on the calendar is?

Ps I felt minor dumb when I saw the card I was wondering what the teaser was of 1000 life loss then I realized. "uh crud I forgot about the 2012 theory from the Aztec calendar."

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 7 months ago

a lot of this cards have unslammable names
*slams card onto the table* ENTERPRISING SCALLYWAG!
the rule of cool has not been heeded

edit: it sounds like I'm talking about Ixalan but I actually mean the last ten years of the game in general >:)

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 7 months ago

Earthshaker Dreadmaw lookmat that are boy has grown up quite a bit to be eligible for a Gishath, Sun's Avatar /Pantlaza, Sun-Favored decks

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 7 months ago

If the only thing you did all game was play The Millennium Calendar Turn 1 and play lands for the game then you'd have 1258 by Turn 10.
It doesn't really matter what turn you play it and number of permanents you are untapping, naturally its going to be 8 turns of using it will get you over 1000.
So anything that untaps it is going to half that time. For example a Voltaic Key is going to mean only 4 turns of use.

Dowsing Device (at uncommon) is a sweet piece of land ramp for some decks. Just like Mox Opal, it needs to be in a deck that can support it, but the fact that its a land means that its much less susceptible to removal.
Don't overlook this card for your deck builds, even if the haste element isn't that useful.

Sunbird Standard in a 5 color (or 4 color) deck is pretty great as it can Craft with instants and sorcery which you are far more likely to get into your graveyard early and because you get haste with Sunbird Effigy you can get back the 5 you invested into Craft that turn. Itself provides a mana so you only need 4 more for the Craft.
I could even see a 3 color deck being able to use it if you have plenty of early turn instant/sorcery spread across the colors. For example Turn one cantrip (say Ponder), next turn land ramp (say Rampant Growth), Turn 3 cast Sunbird Standard and tap for another colored spell (say Swords to Plowshares).
That means that on Turn 4 you can Craft and because you can tap for wug that means it sort of only costs you 2 to Craft.

Serenade
UnderKing

I am excited to pair Dowsing Device with Marionette Master in my Jan Jansen, Chaos Crafter deck.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 7 months ago

@darrenhabib I don't expect calendar to be anything but a meme (or possibly some shenanigans like All Will Be One that just care about large numbers of counters). Being an artifact makes it way too unlikely to actually happen before it gets blown up.

Mox opal costs 0. 2 mana rocks are guaranteed mana when played. Plus they still count as artifacts, which you probably want if you're playing an artifact deck. Sure, they get wrecked by Vandalblast but your artifact deck already loses if vandalblast resolves so who cares. Dowsing Device probably isn't worth it unless you care a lot about the buff.

Sunbird standard in 3c is basically a Gilded Lotus for 8 even ignoring the setup cost. And I think most 5c decks will have a hard time getting all 5 colors in a timely fashion. Plus it's very weak to removal compared to gilded lotus etc. Maybe not totally unplayable but it's much weaker than Timeless Lotus and Prismatic Geoscope imo.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 7 months ago

Why do a number of cards in this set, when referencing themselves, put their name in quotation marks? Is this a new thing? It would make sense if this is the new standard going forwards, but plenty of cards also don't do it in the set.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 7 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
7 months ago
Why do a number of cards in this set, when referencing themselves, put their name in quotation marks? Is this a new thing? It would make sense if this is the new standard going forwards, but plenty of cards also don't do it in the set.
Are you looking at scryfall translations?
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Dunadain
I like turtles

5colorsrainbow wrote:
7 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
7 months ago
Are you looking at scryfall translations?
Nah, just looking at the spoilers on the main page of mtgnexus.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Serenade
UnderKing

Those names also are just MTG Nexus translations/not confirmed English names yet.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Huh, why haven't I noticed that in other sets? Lol, am dumb.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 7 months ago

The Millennium Calendar + Basalt Monolith = Win.

It says "during your untap step" not just what you untap at beginning.

Dunadain
I like turtles

darrenhabib wrote:
7 months ago

Players never gain priority during the untap step, so you can't activate basalt monolith at all.

Serenade
UnderKing

Nicanzil, Current Conductor points another GU merfolk legend toward explore/ramp/counters, which I hope means the Commander deck will have a nonfoil version of the Guild Kit art Zegana, Utopian Speaker. Very specific hope.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 7 months ago

Serenade wrote:
7 months ago
Nicanzil, Current Conductor points another GU merfolk legend toward explore/ramp/counters, which I hope means the Commander deck will have a nonfoil version of the Guild Kit art Zegana, Utopian Speaker. Very specific hope.
I hope we get another extra lands merfolk. It could even be at 5cmc. I know id build heavy in explore and with so many lands

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 7 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
7 months ago
darrenhabib wrote:
7 months ago

Players never gain priority during the untap step, so you can't activate basalt monolith at all.
But you can respond to the trigger of the calendar, can't you?

DirkGently

cheonice wrote:
7 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
7 months ago
darrenhabib wrote:
7 months ago

During your upkeep? Go nuts but nothing happens. The trigger isn't put on the stack until upkeep despite happening in untap.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
cheonice wrote:
7 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
7 months ago

During your upkeep? Go nuts but nothing happens. The trigger isn't put on the stack until upkeep despite happening in untap.
Oh, interesting. Didn't know that.

DirkGently

cheonice wrote:
7 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
cheonice wrote:
7 months ago

Oh, interesting. Didn't know that.
Yeah, Untap triggers are weird.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Okay, there is a way to do infinite untaps during your untap step but it's very complicated and revolves around our good friend Panglacial Wurm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BadMtgCombos/s/I6X83pu56I
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”