[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Wednesday, March 18th, 2020; Temple of the False God

I know this has come up before. I always love the conversation this card generates. The success, the horrors, for better or worse it's as synonymous with commander as command tower is.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

oddly, I don't own a copy nor do I see the point to owning a copy. I don't feel like i'm missing out on two colorless,if i'm already on five mana.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

I love this card. The look on your opponent when they kill your general, think they are going to be free from it for a couple of turns, then you drop this...

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 years ago

Same boat as Hermes: Never owned this card. I never will.

It's s a trap.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I own four copies, giggle, it's from Scourge and that set is strange and beautiful.

I don't get why the card is particularly polarizing - if you're making a tight bursty synergetic deck then this'll never go in it but if you're making a more rounded, responsive, cards-I-like deck with a little resilience to it, it's a good option. Personally I've noticed that decks I make often run lots of permanents with abilities that cost so it might be more useful to me than normal? It leads to misleading opening hands but it's not precisely unique among cards that way...

Dragoon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 4 years ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
4 years ago
- they don't really have a home, no general or deck work really well with them
The griffin could be played in a O-Kagachi, Vengeful Kami deck :)

Concerning Temple of the False God, it always had its uses. Just don't put it in your deck counting it as a land, it's a ramp "spell" (It's the same as Maze of Ith in that aspect). It's useful in non-green decks.

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 4 years ago

folding_music wrote:
4 years ago
I don't get why the card is particularly polarizing -
Part of the reason the card is so polarizing is that it has been put in EVERY commander precon. (That may not be technically true, but it has been reprinted in every commander set, and is one of the very few cards that has been - it's in 90+% of the precons).

The idea that it should be omnipresent, which intentionally or not, has been communicated by it's reprinting frequency, is what really generates the pushback and polarization around the card.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 4 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
4 years ago
oddly, I don't own a copy nor do I see the point to owning a copy. I don't feel like i'm missing out on two colorless,if i'm already on five mana.
I think getting to 6 mana on turn 5 is the point.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

3drinks wrote:
4 years ago
Wednesday, March 18th, 2020; Temple of the False God
I have many, many copies; commander precons have made this pretty ubiquitous, and I had a foil Scourge copy (and probably some nonfoils, too).

When it's good, it's pretty good. When it's bad, it's atrocious. I used to play it a lot, but not so much anymore. I only currently play it in one deck -- Golos -- though, I'm sure other decks in the future will want it. It does good work in Golos; since there's already a fair bit of ramp, Temple is really reliable, but there's isn't much of a practical ceiling for mana that the deck wants. Mana Reflection makes it produce 4, which is also pretty exciting.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

Not a huge fan. My issue is that, in a ramp deck, what I want is a land that gets me off the ground ASAP so I can cast my ramp spells. You look at, say, my kaervek deck, and this seems like a shoe-in, but no. If I'm waiting until 5 lands to cast him, I'm way slow. I want lands that let my cast my rocks so I hit him on turn 3-4.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 years ago

I'm a fan of Temple of the False God. I'm always happy to see it in Gishath, Sun's Avatar since that deck is ramping to 8 as hard and fast as possible. Since I'm playing so many rampant growth effects, the odds of the Temple not being on are extremely low.

The slower and more battlecruiser your edh group is the better the temple is. As curves drop the temple becomes less and less valuable.

Actually, I think that Temple of the False God is a really good personal benchmark for where I like the format to be. If Temple is a solid but not exceptional card, I think that's a meta-game that I like. If Temple is just too slow, that's probably a meta-game that I personally think is too fast.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

I used to run Temple of the False God in a lot of decks when I first got back in to Magic in 2011, but there's been such an explosion of awesome utility lands since then that it's tough to justify its inclusion almost anywhere. I only run it now in my mono-green deck because it's so good and land ramp that it's been all upside so far, and my Boros deck because it's desperate for anything.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Temple of the False God is theoretically good if all you care about is hitting 6 mana as fast as possible, in which case it's ramp in the land slot.

....unfortunately, one of the best ways to hit 6 mana as fast as possible is to cast a bunch of ramp spells, and Temple is completely dead until then, which can, ironically, keep you from getting to 6 mana on time.

You might be able to get some value from it if you're running Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Chromatic Lantern, or other cards that grant mana abilities to your lands. The other class of decks I could see it being good in are ones where you expect the game to go long enough that the vast majority of it is spent with 5+ lands, at which point Temple's early game weakness isn't as important. That would need to be a very slow battlecruiser meta though.

I'll call out Castle Garenbrig and Shrine of the Forsaken Gods as good alternatives. Or Ancient Tomb, I suppose, but that's probably an include far before any of these.

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

I don't really use it much anymore, but I don't think it's terrible. I can appreciate @materpillar s sentiments about it being a nice meta point to be at
Responds well to spells and abilities

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

I used to have it in a lot of decks, just because of Precons.
Now, I have systematically removed it from most of my decks, if not all. Its upside is not worth its downside.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 4 years ago

After getting Ancient Tomb, it basically got replaced from most of my decks. I'll still use it in my mono color decks tough, since its downside isn't as harsh on them compared to decks with more colors on it.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

The card is a trap. I used to run it in most of my decks, but the amount of times it sits in your hand achieving nothing early game is too high to mitigate any success it yields. I guess ostensibly it looks like a poor mans Ancient Tomb, but I'd honestly rather have a basic than this in almost any deck, purely because it isn't consistent.

Your starting hand could be otherwise perfect, but if you see this there's still a huge chance you mulligan, and that alone tells you all you need to know about it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

fake temple doesnt scry on etb

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 years ago

Thursday, March 19th, 2020; Void

I always liked the sheer nuke power of this card while appreciating the versatility simultaneously.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

schweinefett

Post by schweinefett » 4 years ago

'tis a shame it says NON-land cards. I think more often than not, i'd name 0, and it wiping out a good number of tokens!

On the other hand, it's gotta be a while since i've run void. I didn't even realised they'd preprinted it! The ability sounded familiar, but the card itself looked weird.

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

schweinefett wrote:
4 years ago
'tis a shame it says NON-land cards. I think more often than not, i'd name 0, and it wiping out a good number of tokens!

On the other hand, it's gotta be a while since i've run void. I didn't even realised they'd preprinted it! The ability sounded familiar, but the card itself looked weird.
Yeah, I'm used to the Invasion artwork for it.
Invasion Void
Show
Hide
This is a wrath effect I've always kinda wanted to play, but never had a real reason to. Neither part of its effect is as effective as I'd want it to be. What would be kinda funny though is to use this card after somebody else casts Mirrorweave (after giving Void flash, of course) for an alpha strike.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

This is often just a Putrefy for 5 mana at sorcery speed. The thing is, you are going to get rid of the biggest threat. You may have to blow up your own card(s). You may only blow up one thing.

I used to play it and I would say that it would be a 2 for 1 maybe 50% of the time. Which is good, I guess.

Maybe if your deck tends not to have a lot of permanents this becomes better. Too often though you are blowing up your mana rocks in order to kill a threat.

I would likely play Bedevil over this.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I'd take bedevil 100%. Sorcery speed removal needs to be very efficient to get played by me. This...ain't it. Cool design though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I've gone way away from playing this kinda card. No more decimate or even windgrace's judgment for me. I just don't wanna spend more than 2 or 3 mana to interact unless it's an actual nuke.

It is nice that it doesn't target and it does both, but I don't think that's worth the speed and price tag.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Segrus wrote:
4 years ago

Yeah, I'm used to the Invasion artwork for it.
Invasion Void
Show
Hide
that's...that's a mech! *squees*
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”