Unreleased and New Card Discussion

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 11 months ago

Is there anything that was spoiled that shores up the weaknesses of the archetype, though? I mean, it's cool we have explicit support in those colors for enchantress and I guess being able to sac enchantments in response to removal is cool, but I don't see anything that's moving the needle in terms of power.

Also, am I the only one who is annoyed the Wizards delays releasing article version of the spoilers until after the video? I don't want to sit/sift through an hour of content for something I should be able to consume in 5 minutes or less.

All hail the Algo, I guess.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 11 months ago

pokken wrote:
11 months ago
My main complaint is that it's just more graveyard shenanigans really. There're a lot of ways to build it but most of the strength of enchantments as an archetype is built around either storm (Eidolon of Blossoms )or graveyard shenanigans (Replenish) or both, and I wouldn't mind if there were...something else.

I feel like I've mostly explored graveyard decks, and I'm kinda filled up on that design already.
Mmm, fair. I haven't built any enchantress decks myself, so I don't know how graveyard-centric they tend to be. My general impression is that Replenish is a broken card, full stop. However, it's also an expensive RL card, and thus not every deck will run it... and other than it (and possibly Open the Vaults), there aren't that many graveyard / reanimation payoffs for enchantment-based decks. I guess Starfield of Nyx?

Anyway, as for new cards...
  • Narci, Fable Singer is a more traditional enchantress commander, although the fact that card draw is back-loaded makes her significantly clunkier.
  • Boon of the Spirit Realm is a very strong anthem effect, particularly with enchantment tokens.
  • Composer of Spring is interesting in the context of enchantress decks being able to draw very large numbers of cards, which means they can't always play all the lands they draw. Playing free creatures in the lategame also seems pretty strong.
  • Demon of Fate's Design is a once-per-turn Channel effect for enchantments. Seems alright.
  • Ondu Spiritdancer copies enchantments, which seems fun (although a 5 mana 3/3 is a little clunky).
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove, Grasp of Fate, and Starfield of Nyx look to be the reprint highlights. Manabase looks underwhelming but usable. I don't think this deck justifies its price tag either, but I do like the new cards.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 11 months ago

Unlike the other two so far, Anikthea precon actually looks fun. I will go with a zombie sub theme.

My thread on it: viewtopic.php?t=130742
Last edited by Cyberium 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

Good lord Narci, Fable Singer is exactly what I want! That's so dope. I really like that card. It's even more signposty but in an awesome way that gives you multiple builds. I will absolutely be building that.

That whole deck is legit great, definitely not cancelling my preorder. Lots of great cards and some good solid reprints.

(I like that Narci goes infinite with one of my favorite combos, too, the various Animate Dead shenanigan combos. 4 card wombo with Sun Titan and something that sacrifices enchantments, but still really good)

There's probably something there with finding ways to get Doubling Season and whatever proliferate %$#%$#% to ult your sagas immediately too lol.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 11 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
11 months ago
To be fair he was one of the nine titans which is the highest requested characters to get cards who haven't yet. And in a way yea they are scraping the barrel as they have already gotten a number of oldwalker characters.

That said I hate Guff, as you said he is a actually Gary Stu (and not the buzzword version of Mary/Gary Sue people like to use) and why I can't take the first Phyrexian War too seriously as an story arc in magic.
Yeah precisely. I feel like at the time they just ran out of major characters to stick in power suits and just added him into the mix as a bad in-joke. It really draws a ton of credibility from the grave end of the universe that part of the phyrexian story arc is trying to put out there.

I'm sure people will get into him, but it's a hard pass from me, I've always thought he was magic's answer to Deadpool with the slapstick 4th wall breaking comedy. It just ended up being an absolute trainwreck though, the guy is just objectively bad.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 11 months ago

I'm with pokken, Narci, Fable Singer looks awesome and I wanna build her despite already having a commander WBG deck and a WBG enchantment deck lol i love saga cards but Tom and Satsuki didn't call to me like Narci dose.
toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
11 months ago
To be fair he was one of the nine titans which is the highest requested characters to get cards who haven't yet. And in a way yea they are scraping the barrel as they have already gotten a number of oldwalker characters.

That said I hate Guff, as you said he is a actually Gary Stu (and not the buzzword version of Mary/Gary Sue people like to use) and why I can't take the first Phyrexian War too seriously as an story arc in magic.
Yeah precisely. I feel like at the time they just ran out of major characters to stick in power suits and just added him into the mix as a bad in-joke. It really draws a ton of credibility from the grave end of the universe that part of the phyrexian story arc is trying to put out there.

I'm sure people will get into him, but it's a hard pass from me, I've always thought he was magic's answer to Deadpool with the slapstick 4th wall breaking comedy. It just ended up being an absolute trainwreck though, the guy is just objectively bad.
So far most people aren't liking him as character but are happy that a ...."major character" got a card and some old lore people are one step closer to their WUBRG Nine Titans deck. I think this was a good place to put him imo since it give the minimal amount of re-exposure.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

toctheyounger

5colorsrainbow wrote:
11 months ago
So far most people aren't liking him as character but are happy that a ...."major character" got a card and some old lore people are one step closer to their WUBRG Nine Titans deck. I think this was a good place to put him imo since it give the minimal amount of re-exposure.
That's fair. If he had to come back this is fine enough I guess.

Man in general the value of these decks is just not at all there, eh. I would not pay $100 for any of them thus far.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 11 months ago

Mookie wrote:
11 months ago
pokken wrote:
11 months ago
My main complaint is that it's just more graveyard shenanigans really. There're a lot of ways to build it but most of the strength of enchantments as an archetype is built around either storm (Eidolon of Blossoms )or graveyard shenanigans (Replenish) or both, and I wouldn't mind if there were...something else.

I feel like I've mostly explored graveyard decks, and I'm kinda filled up on that design already.
Mmm, fair. I haven't built any enchantress decks myself, so I don't know how graveyard-centric they tend to be. My general impression is that Replenish is a broken card, full stop. However, it's also an expensive RL card, and thus not every deck will run it... and other than it (and possibly Open the Vaults), there aren't that many graveyard / reanimation payoffs for enchantment-based decks. I guess Starfield of Nyx?

Anyway, as for new cards...
  • Narci, Fable Singer is a more traditional enchantress commander, although the fact that card draw is back-loaded makes her significantly clunkier.
  • Boon of the Spirit Realm is a very strong anthem effect, particularly with enchantment tokens.
  • Composer of Spring is interesting in the context of enchantress decks being able to draw very large numbers of cards, which means they can't always play all the lands they draw. Playing free creatures in the lategame also seems pretty strong.
  • Demon of Fate's Design is a once-per-turn Channel effect for enchantments. Seems alright.
  • Ondu Spiritdancer copies enchantments, which seems fun (although a 5 mana 3/3 is a little clunky).
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove, Grasp of Fate, and Starfield of Nyx look to be the reprint highlights. Manabase looks underwhelming but usable. I don't think this deck justifies its price tag either, but I do like the new cards.
There's also Brilliant Restoration.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

I like Guff. Not everyone reacts to tragedy in the same way. Some people crack jokes to cope. That's what I always got from Guff, but maybe I'm just not into taking my children's card games all that seriously in the first place.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 11 months ago

So now we have cards of the characters from Planeswalker's Fury, Planeswalker's Favor, and Planeswalker's Mirth. Who are the characters from Planeswalker's Scorn and Planeswalker's Mischief though?

And am I the only person alive who remembers this cycle?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 11 months ago

But you don't remember Tevesh Szat or Bo Levar?

Reading the Guff sections of those books were weird because I didn't know about breaking the fourth wall back then.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

toctheyounger

DirkGently wrote:
11 months ago
So now we have cards of the characters from Planeswalker's Fury, Planeswalker's Favor, and Planeswalker's Mirth. Who are the characters from Planeswalker's Scorn and Planeswalker's Mischief though?

And am I the only person alive who remembers this cycle?
I remember them. The first is Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools, you can tell from the tentacles. The second I don't recognise. A quick wiki check and it's Bo Levar (Crucias, Titan of the Waves).

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 11 months ago

Serenade wrote:
11 months ago
Hey, I don't follow lore, I just know the cards.

Tevesh makes sense, I just didn't put it together since the card got printed decades later. I think I've heard of Bo Levar but without a (real) card I wouldn't be able to place him. Good to know though.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 11 months ago

We still need Daria and Taysir, right? I feel like they still have tons of older characters they can plumb. We could get the Metathran commanders, or maybe just Agnate partnering with Grizzlegom, Dralnu, or Eladamri. Not sure we got anyone from the Urza's Destiny plot.

Did they give us background on the new legends yet? I thought I saw that they are non-canon, but I still wonder if Narci is from Theros or Femeref (especially since her abilities play so well with Femeref Enchantress).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 11 months ago

Mookie wrote:
11 months ago
Hype for the Eldrazi deck is very real though - I'm expecting lots of colorless / artifact fatties for Animar, Thada, and Sharuum.
Now that we have gotten the full Eldrazi deck (and the new cards), I'll note that there aren't any new cards I want for Animar or Sharuum due to the new cards costing or not being artifacts, respectively... but Thada is very pleased with the new cards. Calamity of the Titans, Desecrate Reality, and Flayer of Loyalties all look quite sweet, and Abstruse Archaic is also interesting. I don't think I currently have enough colorless fatties in the deck to fully support them, but that's largely due to budget reasons - I would just need to swap out some of the sea monsters for Eldrazi titans and Blightsteel Colossus.

....Darksteel Monolith is interesting. It looks significantly worse than One with the Multiverse, but indestructible is certainly a thing, and Sharuum can cheat it out. Hmmm...

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 11 months ago

Some of these colorless cards look pretty cool. But I am reminded how they must boost the mana cost on colorless cards to balance the fact that they don't have a color. Not that it is a bad thing, balance is good, but dang some of these cards are expensive on mana. Flayer of Loyalties and Rise of the Eldrazi are really flashy, but my goodness to they cost the mana. For 12 mana I can draw my entire library in blue, or get all the free spells for 10. I hope this precon can ramp hard enough to cast some of these bombs.

Desecrate Reality looks pretty cool if not for the mv targeting restriction on it making it real awkward for 7 mana.
Last edited by PrimevalCommander 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

5colorsrainbow

EDIT: I love the colorless cards and fun to see a few non-eldrazi cards here and there just to see more of what colorless can be in magic outside of eldrazi and artifacts.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
I like Guff. Not everyone reacts to tragedy in the same way. Some people crack jokes to cope. That's what I always got from Guff, but maybe I'm just not into taking my children's card games all that seriously in the first place.
A comedic character is all fine but to make them a near literal Gary Sue (being very based on the current story director at the time) who has reality bending powers that end up being a lynch pin in defeating Phyrexia the first time that was introduced in that storyline imo make the whole Weatherlight arc end with such a sour note. Nothing in the old or modern lore is imo as bad as Guff short of the homophobia that happened in War of the Spark.
DirkGently wrote:
11 months ago
Serenade wrote:
11 months ago
Hey, I don't follow lore, I just know the cards.
Which imo is why as much as I hate Guff is nice to get character from the lore on cards for people to have some frame of who is who.
Serenade wrote:
11 months ago
We still need Daria and Taysir, right? I feel like they still have tons of older characters they can plumb. We could get the Metathran commanders, or maybe just Agnate partnering with Grizzlegom, Dralnu, or Eladamri. Not sure we got anyone from the Urza's Destiny plot.
We also need Kristina and Bo for the nine titans. Bo Levar got a legendary creature in the Brothers War Alchemy set as Crucias (his pre-planeswalker self) but I think most people want to see him in planeswalker card form...and in paper lol.

Yeah there is lots of characters who still need cards but I think all the biggest mains mostly got cards by now and its gonna start dipping into a bit more deeper cuts.
Did they give us background on the new legends yet? I thought I saw that they are non-canon, but I still wonder if Narci is from Theros or Femeref (especially since her abilities play so well with Femeref Enchantress).
So far the only non-canon card i think is the afflict/amass sliver and more so to stress slivers aren't going to be on Amonkhet in the future they just wanted to make a sliver with those abilites. My head canon is Bolas brought them over in the last moments of being an oldwalker and eternalized them since its real canon he had a few non-sapient beings eternalized (like the crocodile demons) and all of them where killed/burned up during the end of wots.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 11 months ago

I expected more Eldrazi in the Eldrazi deck.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

toctheyounger

So apparently overnight in an official WotC AMA with Blake someone asked how they justified these products being listed as premium given the generally fairly average quality of the 100's. Blake responded with 'show me where we said they were premium'.

First of all the price point says it. Second, %$#% yikes. That sort of response tells me we should expect this sort of price for precons moving forward.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

I canceled mine after a lot of thought. I can just get the singles I want for like $30. Waste of money and more packaging waste. Fark it.

toctheyounger

pokken wrote:
11 months ago
I canceled mine after a lot of thought. I can just get the singles I want for like $30. Waste of money and more packaging waste. Fark it.
100% on singles here. There's very little I'm after except for Demonic and Lotuses if the price is suitable, but we will see. There's a whole lot of niche commons and uncommons I'm blindly hoping to see reprinted at long last. You never know.

My lgs is doing set booster boxes for 500NZD. That's just...crazy, and I'm assuming he needs to set those prices to turn any sort of profit.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 11 months ago

This whole entire set feels kinda lackluster. Maybe it's fine and the price is driving my negativity. Either way, there's very little I need from this set. I'm surprised that these side profile things are demanding such high prices. The new Gisela, Blade of Goldnight is one of the few that really speak to me, but $55 is very expensive for a lil cardboard rectangle.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

toctheyounger

RxPhantom wrote:
11 months ago
The new Gisela, Blade of Goldnight is one of the few that really speak to me, but $55 is very expensive for a lil cardboard rectangle.
I quite like them in a way. Mikaeus is my favorite so far. Anyway, give it a couple of weeks post release, those prices won't last by any stretch. We all know the real chases of the set are the tutors and fast rocks, as cool as the art treatments are they're not going to hold their value.

We do have more main set to spoil right? Did we just stop mid season to see commander lists?

5colorsrainbow

toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago

We do have more main set to spoil right? Did we just stop mid season to see commander lists?

I think all the rares and mythics have been shown and tomorrow is the card image gallery dump.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 11 months ago

Some doctor who peeks via
There's no grouping other than one section sorry
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER