[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Jetfire, Ingenious Scientist

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
I think the most interesting build for Inquisitor Eisenhorn is probably something based around Cranial Plating and Nettlecyst - suit up Eisenhorn, hit an opponent to make a bunch of artifact tokens, then hit even harder next time. Throw in Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh or Krark-Clan Ironworks to subsidize your clues and you have a deck.
Cyberium wrote:
1 year ago
I think Elsenhorn is leaning towards a spellslinger deck due to needing instant/sorcery for consistent (or at least more predictable) demon generation. Runechanter's Pike would be perfect for that. I wonder if he's more suitable to be a 99 in Tetsuo, Imperial Champion deck.
So what I'm hearing is....Dimir affinity or Dimir cantrips. Wow, two brand new never before seen archetypes, especially for this colour combination 🤣

I kid. I mean, kinda. But I do like the effect even if I know less than zero amount of Warhammer (Mage Knight was way better, fight me). I'd definitely rather more of these commanders than more Eldraines.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

I think @Mookie hit the nail on the head. Voltron but he's awful stats and no evasion. Card draw but clues will throttle you on mana. Tokens but he's unreliable and the token is legendary. He wants equipment, he wants ramp, he wants instants/sorceries…too many directions and none very effective.

Simple fix to make him a lot better: eot make a clue. No attacking with a 2/3 for 4. Cut the voltron angle and focus on the 1-draw-per-turn angle.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

Monday, April 10th, 2023; Keldon Flamesage

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Wow, the Backup 1 version of this card is going to be great.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Keldon Flamesage is sort of cool - it can give you free cantrips(or other cheap spells) occasionally on its own, and if you enlist another creature you can get something more substantial. It does have the weakness of needing to survive a turn cycle and attack, but I'm a bit more forgiving of that on a 3-drop. Enlist is a bit clunky though, since you need your enlisted creature to also lose summoning sickness, which adds another turn cycle to the process... and at the end of it all, you're still attacking with a non-evasive, 3-toughness creature that may just die in combat.

...anyway, Keldon Flamesage seems interesting, but I'm not sure what decks would actually want it. Maybe Vadrik, Astral Archmage or Rielle, the Everwise? While those commanders can have high power, you may not always be able to safely attack with them, which makes them reasonable choices to enlist. They also are likely to be playing plenty of spells for Flamesage to hit. Outside those decks, I feel like most of my decks running big creatures / commanders generally want to attack or block with those creatures, while my spellslinger decks lack creatures to enlist in the first place.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Kalamax, the Stormsire may be able to make use of this card. My deck is not interested in playing it, but I could see someone who might. Kalamax wants to be tapped, and if someone is using him solely for the tapped trigger, then enlisting it looks like a clever way of doing it. I prefer combat, but have a few other ways to get him tapped if there are no profitable lines. Mainly just making mana though.

3drinks

Tuesday, April 11th, 2023; Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants

Looks like a great curve topper in w.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

That is one of the tamest ultimates I have ever seen. But I do like the recursive -2. Properly balanced for constructed, which is nice to see.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 1 year ago

3 lifelinking 1/1s every upkeep is pretty nice, that provides a lot of utility and makes the ultimate useful in numerous decks, though useful it different ways. That's three white critters for Teysa to sacrifice to exile a creature every turn, 3 etb triggers a turn, a minimum of 3 lifegain triggers for 3 life total a turn (assuming they all die while attacking), 3 blockers a turn, 3 bodies to sac, 3 cats for tribal, 3 dies triggers a turn if you can sac them, etc. It takes 7 loyalty which means turn 7 on curve which sucks, but once you have other ways to put counters on it it's pretty reasonable. It hits immediately with doubling season and survives, which is nice.

The +1 is really weak, the -2 is nice. I really want white weenie recursion to be a thing, but there isn't enough repeatable and mass reanimation for this effect yet, and of course it tends to be an A/B mechanic where you have to have the weenies and the weenie recursion which are never weenies themselves, and you really need the right balance. Right now it serves mostly as support for hate bears and similar strats. Ajani seems decent in that role, immediately rez an important hate bear, then if it lives get a second, or start pumping dudes.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Curve topper? How low are you going in your decks now a days?

This seems like filler to me. +1/+1 counter decks could use this but kinda underwhelming. Ditto with reanimating two tiny creatures. I'm sure this is playable but it also seems immensely cuttable basically always.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
If I am playing anything that costs mana, it better win me the game. Especially if it costs two or, bless my heart, three mana.

I kid. But I know a few people like that and are devout acolytes to the mantra, "If it costs 4 or more mana, it better win you the game."

As for this Ajani, I could see it as a "curve topper" in a deck that wants to play as many one or two drops it can. But even then, I have to believe their are better choices.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

It used to be five, or, just as often, seven mana. Like, if you're making that big of an investment (and usually, all of your available mana when you hit it), it better make waves.

Four mana could conceivably be a curve topper for white weenie, though. Old school used to rely on White Knight and its analogs, plus a healthy dose of cards that shall not be named.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
I kid. But I know a few people like that and are devout acolytes to the mantra, "If it costs 4 or more mana, it better win you the game."
I've heard that in Legacy/Modern or other eternal formats. Is that much power creep seeping into EDH too? I thought we were closer to 6-drops have to win / are getting crept out. 5 drops are must kills.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
I've heard that in Legacy/Modern or other eternal formats. Is that much power creep seeping into EDH too? I thought we were closer to 6-drops have to win / are getting crept out. 5 drops are must kills.
I am not a 100% sure because I try to keep EDH my more casual format, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a mentality that has seeped in from other formats.

3drinks

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I seem to average around 5 at the top end. More are either on built in cost reduction (Dargo) or outright cheats (Kaalia/Alesha). But I'd be shooting for 2-3 if I'm on an Ad Naus shell, sure.

Mookie

My rough heuristic of creature mana values:
  • 0 - usually an X spell. May be cast occasionally to trigger Glimpse of Nature effects and then immediately die.
  • 1 - I don't care if it dies, or I'm intentionally playing it as sac fodder.
  • 2 - I don't mind if it dies to a board wipe
  • 3 - I'm sad if it dies to a board wipe, but okay if it trades for 1:1 removal
  • 4 - I expect it to generate some incremental value before dying
  • 5 - I expect it to generate some value immediately, or significant value if it lives a turn cycle
  • 6 - I expect it to generate significant value immediately, or threaten to generate massive value if it lives a turn cycle
  • 7+ - I expect it to generate massive value immediately, or threaten to win the game if it lives a turn cycle
...although I will note that if I'm playing 6 or 7-drops, I usually expect to either be ramping into them or cheating them out. 5 mana is pretty much the limit for 'I expect to cast this by naturally playing a land every turn'.

That said, power creep has meant some of these benchmarks have dropped by 1-2 mana - cards like Chulane, Teller of Tales and Golos, Tireless Pilgrim certainly punch into 'win the game if you untap with them' territory. I do think those are outliers though, and most cards fit into the above categories (although the outliers certainly represent a larger percentage of actually-played creatures, and will represent a larger percentage of the format over time).

edit: another way to think about this is risk vs reward. If you cast Elvish Visionary or another cheap creature, you essentially have zero risk, but also not much reward - two mana for a body and a guaranteed card is consistent but unexciting. If you cast Beast Whisperer, you're increasing your risk level - you don't get anything immediately, and four mana is a much higher cost that can leave you at a disadvantage if an opponent has Doom Blade to answer it. However, you also get a much higher reward if it sticks around.

As you go up to 6 or even more expensive cards, the ones that see are either ones that generate value immediately or protect themself (and thus have a lower risk) or represent a higher reward if they survive.

Anyway, Ajani, Adversary of Tyrants seems... meh? The (+1) is fine if you're a dedicated +1/+1 counter deck, but unexciting otherwise. The (-2) is okay, but if you're doing it twice I would prefer Call of the Death-Dweller. The ultimate is good (particularly in aristocrats / go-wide decks), but not something I would count on outside Doubling Season shenanigans.
Last edited by Mookie 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Ajani is underwhelming for sure.

- There are plenty of 'walkers that do +1/+1 counters better. Ajani, Caller of the Pride comes down a turn faster as does Basri Ket. At 4MV, admittedly Ajani Steadfast, Ajani Goldmane, and newcomer Archangel Elspeth all have to minus instead of plus for counters but their effects are also so much stronger and more worth four mana. The Wandering Emperor can plus for it and has flash and other cool stuff.

- I'll note that several of the above also have ultimate that are reachable faster and/or are much more explosive in Doubling Season.dec, with a shout-out to Caller of the Pride for being very funny there (I got to live that dream once; nothing like paying three mana to cast Ajani then immediately ult him for 40x2=80 cat tokens)

- That means we're mostly here for the -2, which is more unique. But, as we get more and more white reanimator cards this gets more and more marginal. Patch Up for instance seems much better in most decks, while for one more you also have stuff like Serra Paragon and Sigardian Savior. I also would tend towards preferring Sevinne's Reclamation since it can hit any card type and not just creatures.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Had this card come up a few weeks earlier I'd make a snarky remark about how well his subtitle for this card has aged. Shockingly, those 1/1 cats didn't do him a whole lot of good against the latest group of tyrants he went up against.

3drinks

Wednesday, April 12th, 2023; Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Alright ya'll, help me understand why this Daretti is $22. I know on paper he looks like he checks all the boxes - a 3MV 'walker that +1s to protect himself, -1s to remove threats, and has an ultimate that is achievable at standard pace and generates crazy value. But for the life of me I haven't been able to find a good home for mine where he's actually felt useful and relevant in play.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

It's expensive because it's old. I should probably sell mine.

I've been running him in my grixis Marchesa robot deck and he has been fine there.

Mookie

I'm running Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast in my cube, but I view him as sort of middling - the (+1) and (-1) give you a slow but repeatable removal engine, but the fact that the tokens have defender gives them a bit less utility that vanilla 1/1 tokens. The ultimate can be good, but it's also a bit situational - three copies of Sol Ring or Myr Battlesphere is certainly good, but it feels less splashy than many other planeswalker ultimates (and also is soft to removal or grave hate). Still, he provides nice fodder for Oni-Cult Anvil and Goblin Welder effects, and also pairs well with Daretti, Scrap Savant.

It's somewhat interesting to compare Daretti to Grist, the Hunger Tide, which sees pretty widespread play in other formats. I suppose that major difference is that Grist sacrifices creatures instead of artifacts, which lets it slot into more decks. Grist also has the 'is a creature card' text, which makes it easy to fetch up with Green Sun's Zenith or other tutors. That said, I don't see much of either in EDH - the (+1)s can stop an attack from one opponent, but a single token is much worse at blocking multiple opponents. As a result, they're unlikely to live multiple turn cycles, which means that cheaper, instant-speed removal will generally be preferable.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » 1 year ago

I liked him fine in Breya, Etherium Shaper, an artifact token generator coupled to repeatable removal is good enough in my book.

3drinks

Thursday, April 13th, 2023; Tendershoot Dryad

Generically good g card is generically good.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

I love me some good old Tendershoot Dryad. I have it in my Adrix and Nev, Twincasters deck where it does work, but the best home for it had to be Korvold, Fae-Cursed King, where if it survived a cycle I was probably winning the game.

Probably will be good in the new Slimefoot and Squee deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”