[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

so, i'm going to be ordering some custom sleeves but i'm having trouble picking art from what i've generated with ai for them and i've narrowed it down to five but i sitll need some help choosing one:

SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago

The kitty in my pic passed away at 19 this year, doubt I ever change. RIP Yama!
:cry: :cry: :cry: I'm sorry for your loss. Very beautiful cat though.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Airi wrote:
1 year ago
I'm in awe at how many people still have the same avatars after so many years ^.^
Holy crap! You're alive! And....back?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Maybe I should get an avatar one of these days.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Airi
Queen of Salt

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
I like to check up every once in a while. ^.^

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

@Hermes_ as far as sleeves: solid color > basic pattern > mtg official art > other good art > other bad art > stills of the garbage pail kids movie > photographs of real-life war crimes > AI generated images of pretty ladies.

I had a friend who loved his anime babe sleeves. Every time he pulled them out everyone who saw them rolled their eyes and thought less of him. You don't want to be that guy. If you want a sleeve that says something about you, let it say something besides "I like pretty ladies".

Anyone else feel free to chime in if I'm way off base here.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
@Hermes_ as far as sleeves: solid color > basic pattern > mtg official art > other good art > other bad art > stills of the garbage pail kids movie > photographs of real-life war crimes > AI generated images of pretty ladies.

I had a friend who loved his anime babe sleeves. Every time he pulled them out everyone who saw them rolled their eyes and thought less of him. You don't want to be that guy. If you want a sleeve that says something about you, let it say something besides "I like pretty ladies".

Anyone else feel free to chime in if I'm way off base here.
I already knew your opinion lol, but my play group has already seen my AI generated stuff and they like it, and they don't care

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Airi wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
I like to check up every once in a while. ^.^
It's nice to see you back, I hope you've been keeping well :)
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
I for one would love to see what you choose. I always wonder about the avatar-less folk.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
I for one would love to see what you choose. I always wonder about the avatar-less folk.
You should grab a pic of Sauron to mirror @Dunharrow's Frodo.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
You should grab a pic of Sauron to mirror @Dunharrow's Frodo.
The Dun Dichotomy.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I mostly recognize people by avatar so it's really disorienting when people change them. Please carry on in this manner.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

I think I've had this avatar (in one form or another) for over 10 years now. The dog is from a manga called Dragon Eye (If you heard of it, I'm impressed). I don't know why I decided to use it (probably because I love the blank soulless eyes and derpy tongue). Then one day I decided to put hats on Dog, and it is what I use whenever I need an avatar.

Reminiscing about this makes me nostalgic for the old days of Sally. And the funny thing is, I didn't really do much MtG there. It was all playing mafia on the mafia forum (My play in Kitteh Trek Mafia is one of my favorites ever). Talking about anime and manga with Psi (which I did way too much, and often all night - SOS Brigade! for life). Enjoying all of the drama with The Gutter. Speaking of drama and the gutter, I miss just hanging out with kpaca. He was one of the most fun people to chat with and just watch him go.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

I chose Daretti because I think his card and the precon he came in was one of the best designed products to come out. I think it helped solidify Red as a color being able to salvage and jerry-rig artifacts and I just think it's super flavorful and neat. I love that red likes to Goblin Welder/Engineer things. Just trial and error, no intricate schematics or manuals needed. What happens when I do this? Or change that? Only one way to find out. A feeling that I love when translated to the creative process as well.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Hermes_

so since @DirkGently has given his thoughts that no individuality beyond favorite color/mtg art work should be used :P , does anyone else wish to help me pick?

As for my avatar i just haven't changed it to a pic of Hermes due to lazyness

Hermes_

out of boredom and insomnia I present Dirk, I used the following prompt: realistic, male, New Zealander, in mid thirties,magic: The Gathering, grumpy ,stern, serious on https://creator.nightcafe.studio/

realistic, male, New Zealander, in mid thirties, , magic: The Gathering, grumpy ,stern, serious
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Hermes_

this is what it came up with on my own machine running it

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Dirk already exposed himself, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he looked like Julian from Trailer Park Boys.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Dirk already exposed himself, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he looked like Julian from Trailer Park Boys.
I actually prefer Redhead Fist Dirk myself. Really sells the "I'll take on anyone, anytime, anywhere" theme imo.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
so since @DirkGently has given his thoughts that no individuality beyond favorite color/mtg art work should be used :P , does anyone else wish to help me pick?

Maybe don't use so-called art created by an AI, that was trained with copyrighted pictures, where the artists weren't compensated for their work? 🤷‍♀️

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Avatar- I just really like Eldraine, always been into fairy tales (as well as folklore and mythology).
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Airi
Queen of Salt

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
It's nice to see you back, I hope you've been keeping well :)
It's been.... a time! I got promoted, got married, though said husband was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year so we've been writing through that. Though not to fear, the outlook is pretty good.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

I'm going to be honest. I think all the art you posted looks kinda bad to me. It also feels vaguely morally sketchy to me to be using a famous lady's likeness in this way. I guess 4 looks the best to me? I'd definitely avoid 5 (that boob window is so bad) and 1 (this is just incredibly boring in my opinion).

I'm ok with pretty lady sleeves in general. For clarity, I enjoy pretty lady sleeves not boob/butts with a face attached. I mean magic is full of pretty ladies. I enjoy looking at them (case in point my avatar). The ones you've posted just aren't my style.

I think the sleeves in the beginning of this video are hilarious.

As for avatar. Master Transmuter is just my favorite card in magic. The gameplay around it is great. The art is fantastic. It feels strong but balanced and has just a massive amount of uses.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

@Avatar: These are Red and Kid from Transistor and Bastion, two of my favourite games. Both have some of the best voice acting you can find in a video game and are supported by a great story and game mechanics. I even own sleeves with Kid!

Hermes_

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

I'm going to be honest. I think all the art you posted looks kinda bad to me. It also feels vaguely morally sketchy to me to be using a famous lady's likeness in this way. I guess 4 looks the best to me? I'd definitely avoid 5 (that boob window is so bad) and 1 (this is just incredibly boring in my opinion).
Well, I can edit the photos inpainting/upscaling, etc, TBH, I'm starting to feel like this was the wrong group to ask this :pensive:

EDIT: I just wanted something that's one of a kind not mass-produced everyone else has it kind of thing. I slightly have that with my playmat, the artwork from Diabolic tutor with both Lilianna and Chandra and I already have sleeves in my favorite color among other colors.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”