Unreleased and New Card Discussion

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

You're doing the Lord's work, @Hermes_!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
yes is my commentary on a few not liked? :please:
Commentary was all good, it just made me wonder how manual your process of putting them all in here was. It took me ages just to read through them all tbh.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
yes is my commentary on a few not liked? :please:
Commentary was all good, it just made me wonder how manual your process of putting them all in here was. It took me ages just to read through them all tbh.
It was all copied and pasted minus what I typed. I almost used the card tag instead of the spoiler on a few lol but I did it all to the sounds of a volcano and once I got a system of at least ten to a post,it went by quickly, the tricky part was making sure that I didn't get one that was already in the spoilers, but I just had to move the tab for that lol.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 1 year ago

I'm torn on whether to include Hazezon, Shaper of Sand in my Hazezon Tamar deck. On the one hand, the fact that new Hazezon makes Sand Warrior tokens makes it have minor negative synergy with the original. & Deserts are pretty bad for one's manabase. On the other hand, new Hazezon can potentially make a lot of tokens & deck has tons of token synergy.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

I have to say they are really hitting it out of the park with these updated Legends legendaries. All of them have a great flavor feel (with almost all having some connection to their originals or have something that feels like old timey magic) while being pretty unique. For example, I always liked Hazezon Tamar as a card, but I absolutely love Hazezon, Shaper of Sand. It hits what I liked about the original, while making it a lot more functional with a very unique playstyle in deserts. Plus who wouldn't want to go to a part hosted by Xira, the Golden Sting? You know, other than the fact you might go all Xenomorph popping out of your stomach.

Hermes_

oh jsut a reminder what i posted was only from the release notes and not the whole set.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

reading through this stuff I'm so oversaturated with cards, just thinking time and time again "doesn't this basically already exist?"
excellent effort to get it all posted so fast, though <3

not really that excited about another hundred legends, still got plenty of exploration with the Baldur's Gate crew to do and I find 'em more dynamic, more archetypal, less squeezed for valuuuuuuueeeeeeee

that g/u pixie legendary is an exception, she rules hee

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Wizards why?! I was supposed to catch a breath after commander legends 2! I was supposed to have time, regroup, and finally decide which cards make it into my Ur-Dragon!

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
what i posted was only from the release notes and not the whole set.
Important to note, so there might be random cards that are so straightforward they don't get a separate note on the release notes.

Very unlikely, but there is the faint possibility that there are some Legendaries with very simple abilities that didn't make it into the release notes.

EDIT: I stand corrected.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Hermes_

Astor, Bearer of Blades will go into my voltron deck nicely

Sporegorger_Dragon

There more I look at her, the better Sivitri seems?

Like use her as you commander exclusively for the first ability; don't even bother building a Dimir Dragon deck, just include a few Dragons as win conditions for her second ability. Use the third ability as a board wipe when needed.

Hermes_

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 year ago

folding_music wrote:
1 year ago
not really that excited about another hundred legends, still got plenty of exploration with the Baldur's Gate crew to do and I find 'em more dynamic, more archetypal, less squeezed for valuuuuuuueeeeeeee
Interesting, I'm feeling the reverse - CLB put me to sleep for the most part, and I find DMU quite a bit fresher and more interesting. The legends + backgrounds felt rather generic, kind of like C16 partners. Yeah, you can probably make relatively cool combinations out of them, but it's hard to pay attention when both halves are so boring :P Meanwhile there seems to be a good degree of modularity in DMU legends, and the interactions between them get to be more specific and a bit kookier. Nothing earth-shattering, but somehow it just speaks to me more. I'll point to Raff, Weatherlight Stalwart again.
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
I built that RG Urza knockoff, and the deck has an average MV of 0.82. I goldfished it a bit, it was pretty quick to kill, and extremely time monopolising. I played a couple games against a friend, but the chances of the deck making it to paper are very low. I'm a little surprised at just how good the deck turned out despite not being tuned up properly, but I guess the gameplay loop of "tap two hockey pucks to flip a third hockey puck off the top and play it for free" tends to spiral out of control pretty hard if left to its own devices.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

With Jared Carthalion and all these legendary creatures, do you guys think we'll get a legendary Kavu?
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

BaronCappuccino

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

Defiler of Vigor looks to be part of a cycle. Turning color pips phyrexian is never an unwanted effect.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

BaronCappuccino wrote:
1 year ago
Defiler of Vigor looks to be part of a cycle. Turning color pips phyrexian is never an unwanted effect.
Ehhhh… I'm pretty sure I don't want it. I'm still pretty scarred from the original time they did that. I highly doubt any of these will be used in interesting, interactive, non-combo fashions.

Hermes_

and the decklist are now live

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2022-08-19

EDIT: CipT lands without a way to have them be untapped...I guess they didn't feel a need to reprintAmulet of Vigor

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
There more I look at her, the better Sivitri seems?

Like use her as you commander exclusively for the first ability; don't even bother building a Dimir Dragon deck, just include a few Dragons as win conditions for her second ability. Use the third ability as a board wipe when needed.
Yeah my first thought when I saw her is that she's straight up old school control, not dragon tribal. She's not very good as a dragon support card honestly. Establish a pillowfort, keep the board clear, and then tutor up either of the Silumgars to start finishing people off. Also worth noting that Deathbringer Regent is something she can find. Because the fact that she can already wipe the board on her own isn't enough.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Speaking of dragons, I'm kind of tempted to make new Rith a commander, built around dragons that come with secondary burn effects like Glorybringer and Ancient Hellkite, and of course Mirari's Wake to give me mana to burn with. At this rate I'm just gonna be to dragons as that tolarian professor guy is to merfolk.

PS I also have to build Braids because unbanned version of my old cardboard crush.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I liked the original Dominaria more. "Where are we now?" is more interesting to me than "Where were we?"
I just need a little member berries.

As such so far I feel most excited by Briar Hydra for my Phylath plant deck.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
I liked the original Dominaria more. "Where are we now?" is more interesting to me than "Where were we?"
I feel this way too, but I try to imagine what a new player is seeing with these kinds of callbacks. They weren't around the first time, and unlike ravnica or zendikar which get revisited every time Maro sneezes, Dominaria's old coolness is basically foreign to new players. This is a way to bring them into the fold and show them the value of the OG crop of Legendary Creatures. Through that lens, I appreciate the attention they've given to retooling these classic characters in mechanically fitting and flavorful ways.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Holding off on looking at leaks and just commenting on new spoilers...
Also, lots of interesting stuff in the commander set. I don't have many specific comments, although I will call out The Peregrine Dynamo, Verrak, Warped Sengir, and Fallaji Wayfarer as particularly interesting.

BaronCappuccino

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
and the decklist are now live

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2022-08-19

EDIT: CipT lands without a way to have them be untapped...I guess they didn't feel a need to reprintAmulet of Vigor
I originally posted that I wanted them, but when I have five mana available, I cast half my commander pairing, and with six, the other, on turns four and five 90% of the time. After that, I want cards that help close out games, not more ramp. I'd never cast them.

KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif » 1 year ago

Oh boy, what am I going to do with Ayesha Tanaka, Armorer? After a failed attempt of building original Ayesha Tanaka earlier this year, I'm tempted to give her another shot with her new card... I just don't know what to do with her that isn't "just voltron".

Sporegorger_Dragon

With Jasmine Boreal and now Lady Orca, I'm going to be hysterical if Grandmother Sengir and Autumn Willow get new cards.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
volcano
Omg that was the most anxiety inducing nature video I've seen in a while. I don't know why, I'm nowhere near a vulcano but I was immediatly "nope"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”