[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Jetfire, Ingenious Scientist

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

I sorta wanna try a "0/0" commander with Raised by Giants just to see the hugeness, doesn't matter if it's command zone or maindeck... Verazol, the Split Current in particular would be a big boy. I dunno, I can't tell if it's absurd or boring or both \o/

edit: Polukranos, Unchained is even better but all I ever do is design Golgari decks, I have to put an island into play one day soon

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

I'm with @Serenade. I want this thread to be a retrospective, not the UaNCD thread.

On topic: 10/10 is awkardly big. Not useful enough with any of the background except maybe the goad all < power guy.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dragoon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 1 year ago

folding_music wrote:
1 year ago
I sorta wanna try a "0/0" commander with Raised by Giants just to see the hugeness, doesn't matter if it's command zone or maindeck... Verazol, the Split Current in particular would be a big boy. I dunno, I can't tell if it's absurd or boring or both \o/

edit: Polukranos, Unchained is even better but all I ever do is design Golgari decks, I have to put an island into play one day soon
What about Tuvasa the Sunlit? It even synergizes with the deck!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Atarka, World Render, Drizzt Do'Urden, Rayami, First of the Fallen, Rafiq of the Many, Saskia the Unyielding, ... Plenty of commanders to go hard with this one.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Igzex wrote:
1 year ago
10/10 Daughter of Autumn
Why stop there? 15/15 Ghave, Guru of Spores, for "I can also Voltron." 10/10 Thrun, the Last Troll or Uril, the Miststalker.

I love backgrounds in the 99. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice! Ha ha ha!
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Vertierer
Kabbalisten-Schatzmeister

Post by Vertierer » 1 year ago

Raised by Giants and Cultist of the Absolute in a Tana/Tymna aggro-shell... to the drawing board!
The mills of god grind slowly

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

I like the part where if I resolve Enslave on your commander, it takes on a giant's heritage, but once that gets disenchanted and returns to you, it forgets where it came from.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I like the part where if I resolve Enslave on your commander, it takes on a giant's heritage, but once that gets disenchanted and returns to you, it forgets where it came from.
All the backgrounds apply to commanders you own, not control, so stealing them won't change their abilities from backgrounds.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
All the backgrounds apply to commanders you own, not control, so stealing them won't change their abilities from backgrounds.
Wow I straight derped there.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Omnath, Locus of Mana just for %$#% and giggles
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks

Wednesday, June 8th, 2022; Grave Betrayal

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

A very good way to get the table to immediately kill you before you untap.

I've never seen this actually hit the table. I imagine it's bonkers good at precon/battlecruiser level and bad everywhere else (except making the mono-B aristocrats player pull out their hair).

Also, very outclassed by Gisa, Glorious Resurrector

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
A very good way to get the table to immediately kill you before you untap.
You gotta ramp up till 11 and resolve a Damnation in the same main phase. ggez :rofl:

In seriousness, Grave Betrayal would be interesting to use but it's as impractical as you say it is.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Picked one of these up because it was a very powerful and splashy effect. But my playgroup is quite removal-heavy and big enchantments like this never realized their potential before biting the dust. I never sleeved it up, and probably won't in the future. Though recently we had a Sunbird's Invocation do some work in one game. But that requires less from your opponents to be valuable..

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I like the design of Grave Betrayal, but it's sort of the poster child for 'big, expensive, do-nothing enchantment'. Not only do you have to resolve the seven mana spell and have it stick around for a while, but you also have to find some way to kill your opponents' creatures, which makes it feel a bit win-more. If you have a Grave Pact engine already going, then throwing Grave Betrayal in is definitely overkill. I would usually prefer something with more immediate board impact for most decks - or, failing that, a more self-contained value engine.

....I think I've seen someone go off with Grave Betrayal exactly once, and that was years ago. In that case, it was a zombie deck with Noxious Ghoul, which was a pretty sweet interaction.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

This is a catapult to today's modern tanks. It's not that it can't still do some damage, but it isn't efficient enough to compete with modern means of ending a table. Shout out to Ghen, Arcanum Weaver, the last bastion in which I imagine this thing is playable.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

I had a Ghen, Arcanum Weaver deck and never played this card. For finishers I preferred Captive Audience, Overwhelming Splendor, and Eldrazi Conscription. The issue is so many of the removal in my Ghen deck doesn't destroy in Darksteel Mutation, out of time, Elspeth Conquers Death, Journey to Nowhere, and Seal Away.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

Looks fun with wipes.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

I've seen this card a lot but I never saw it really work out. It's just one of those cards that draw so much heat and I wish people I play with were as quick to disenchant cards like Rhystic Study and Leyline of Anticipation as they are this one.

The_Hittite

Post by The_Hittite » 1 year ago

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Wow I straight derped there.
The real power move is to Giant's Grasp the background.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I had this in Marchesa, the Black Rose for a while. Sac outlet and Grave Pact made this an immediate threat. There are better ways to steal creatures in the deck so I cut it.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Thursday, June 9th, 2022; Instrument of the Bards

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

I love how all the animals are digging the music except for the bear, who has the look of a music critic who feels this ballad is more than a little derivative.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”