Planeswalker Threshold

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

I always wanted to make a Gideon tribal Commander deck but was waiting for there to be more Gideon walkers. Well, Gideon has been dead for awhile, leaving only 8 Gideons to work with. Which got me wondering, what's the ideal number of planeswalkers for a deck that's intended to win with them?
Last edited by Legend 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

I don't know if this is a trick question, but there are only 8 Gideon planeswalkers.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 1 year ago

darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
I don't know if this is a trick question, but there are only 8 Gideon planeswalkers.
Oh whoops I had been counting various planeswalkers and still had Chandra on the brain. Fixed in the OP.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

How do you intend to win with them? I had a Liliana, Heretical Healer // Liliana, Defiant Necromancer deck that focused on ulting her and winning with the emblem. Didn't use any other planeswalkers I don't think. If I did, they weren't terribly important.

Virtually any number anyone gives you in magic will be an oversimplification. The real answer is that it always depends on your plan. For anyone who wants to improve their game, think critically about your plan and what it needs to look like to accomplish it. Don't build a deck paint-by-numbers and expect success.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Define "win", yeah?

I have "Daretti Superfriends" and the list has 11 'walkers including Daretti. I've definitely won games by ultimating Koth of the Hammer and grinding out a win with his emblem. I've lso won by ultimating Daretti, Scrap Savant himself (folks tend to scoop when you're saccing Wurmcoil Engines and Myr Battlespheres to reanimate other value cards, then bringing them all back with his emblem) and Karn Liberated (folks super didn't want to play again especially not with me starting with a pile of lands...probably a war crime in some countries to ultimate Karn 1.0...). But those are wins because I'm either creating a salty boardstate no one wants to deal with, or grinding out value alongside other damage sources. Planeswalkers are "contributing" but I'm not "winning" with them, the way I might "win" with Samut, Voice of Dissent in that deck.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

As a player with a Gideon tribal deck, I think that the more important question is what type of decks you want to play it against. Gideon tribal can work really well at the "upgraded precon" spectrum of decks.

Super friends around a specific planeswalker is more dependent on the quality of the walker itself than how many there are. I have played against extremely powerful Will Kenrith and Rowan Kenrith or Teferi, Temporal Archmage decks. Gideon specifically just underperformed unless everyone is on slow battlecruiser decks.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Well you'll need seven of any card to get threshold, Gideon planeswalkers or otherwise.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

You can equip a Gideon with Helm of the Host to get more Gideons.

Ertai Planeswalker

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 1 year ago

The cheapest Gideon is 3 cmc, by that time you will have drawn 10 cards without extra card draw. 99/10=9,9 so you'll need 10 to have one on average when you want to cast it. There are 8, but you can run several tutors to effectively have more. There's Djeru, Call the Gatewatch, the double tutor from War of the Spark, the snow tutor that can find legendary permanents and Thalia's Lancers so that puts you up to 13 Gideons with regards to finding one. So yeah you can make it work. Be wary though that protecting planeswalkers in a multiplayer game is hard. You will need to find a solution to avoid having them attacked all the time, especially once you have Gideon of the Trial's emblem.

Gideon is a lot about attacking and having opponents attack into him so maybe a wall of first strike creatures can accomplish both aims. Especially combined with vigilance.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

You can play more teferis if you play Niambi, Faithful Healer as your commander. Genetically, it's still Teferi tribal if you think about it.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
You can play more teferis if you play Niambi, Faithful Healer as your commander. Genetically, it's still Teferi tribal if you think about it.
I did this. In actual effect, the commander of that deck is Teferi, Timebender. Do that, and there are seven legal Teferis (counting the commander himself). Also, there are two creature versions of Teferi, though most people would only think of one. The second (or first, if you're thinking chronologically in story or print order) is Disruptive Student. If you count the creatures, then, the Teferi count is 9, where most people would only expect 8.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”