What basic lands do you run?

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

I'm in the process of building a new deck! (Damn you Braids, Arisen Nightmare players in this forum!!!!!!) and naturally I'm stuck at the most important part of the process.

What basic land art to chose? I havent brewed an entirely new deck in a while, so my basics were mostly sorted, for Veyran, Voice of Duality I use Kamigawa mountains 289 and ikoria island 265. For Karador, Ghost Chieftain I just got some new eldraine swamps and forests because they feel abzan.

Back to the arisen nightmare, I think she fits with her own sets swamp. The stained glass one, Kamigawa Ukiyo style is great, John Avon's unhinged will never not be great, Dan Frazier onslaught swamp was the first one I played with and might still be favourite, I'm suffering from many great options.

How about you? what arts did you choose for your basic lands?

Tags:

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

OG Snow-covered basics reign supreme!!!!!!!

(less important in mono colored decks, I legitimately started making all my basics snow just cause I liked having all the basics together on digital lists when sorting alphabetically =P)
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 4 months ago

duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
What basic land art to chose?
Barring deck considerations (1), I prefer to try using basics from whatever plane the Commander is from. I actually prefer to have no more than 2 lands share art, so a plane with more sets (Innistrad, Ravnica) will have every basic a different art, while things like Ikoria have 2 per (since there are less basic arts from which to choose).

1: Snow decks need snow, my Korean Werewolf deck uses the Korean basics I have (mostly 4ed FBB), etc.
V/R

Treamayne

duducrash
Still Learning

Treamayne wrote:
4 months ago
while things like Ikoria have 2 per (since there are less basic arts from which to choose).
if you ever want to splurge on literal basic lands there are some sweet lands featuring kaiju fighting

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 months ago

For black I do think my unhinged basics are probably still the best. Not as much for other colors though, and there are a lot of good alternatives compared to back when I decided on unhinged. The LCI ones are very nice tbh.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 months ago

Basic swamps? I love the indigo and desolation of the Urza's Saga ones. Most of the USG basics have a similar hue to each other, which makes the art easy to mix-and-match.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 months ago

It depends.

Erebos had THB Nyx Swamps because flavor, Shadowheart has CLB basics with the moon on them, Slogurk has MID/VOW premium basics, Daretti has the NEO premium Mountain because it looks like a forge, and so on. It just depends on the aesthetics of the individual deck.

I forever regret not buying more Beta basics back in the day, though.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 4 months ago

My preferred default for most is the John Avon Urza's Saga lands. My dragon decks of course use the Dragons of Tarkir lands. My Lulu and Criminal Past deck uses New Phyrexia's lands. Gotta get around to replacing them with All Will be One's full arts.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 4 months ago

I don't run the same artwork in a deck, nostly I go with what I have at home. Braids will be the first deck, where I look for special basics. My first idea was the Nyx ones, but there are so many beautiful full-art swamps that I will run one of each.
Other than that: I want the basics to support the feeling of the deck: wildlife for Selvala, Explorer Returned, city scapes for Ephara, God of the Polis and so on.

Go, Braids! :D Looking forward to your approach!

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 4 months ago

Those stained glass swamps from Dominaria United would look pretty sweet in Braids.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

I'm currently fond of the Midnight Hunt and Crimson Vow full art lands, particularly the swamps, islands, and forests. I've been using them in my new decks for a while and probably would again if I built something new today.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 months ago

I have a bunch of Zendikar and Battle for Zendikar full art basics . So that is what most of my decks are using. They were the first widely available full art basic so I was stocking up when they came out.

Kalamax runs the Unfinity alien planet basics because they are colorful and fun when paired with a lightning stegosaurus commander.
Karador has some Unhinged basics because those are very cool and one of the original bling basics. John Avon art is great. Now you can get those much easier as reprints too.
Sefris of the Hidden Ways has some modern horizons full art snow basics because I got a box of modern horizons and decided to throw them in there since they match.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 months ago

ICE snows do I can jam arcum's astrolabe.
Full CR text basics if I'm running light on basics
M21 showcase basics.

One day I'm gonna pick up ~21 ARN mountains. I may just settle for the Chronicles reprints for price though.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 months ago

I run whatever basics I have that I think look nice, but I ensure that each is different art. I like the variety.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 4 months ago

I like MH1 snows! Anything to show that Dead of Winter is just as good as Toxic Deluge! 🙃

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 4 months ago

I have had a funny trajectory with basics, going from "I don't care as long as they've all got the same border" to "I only run full-art lands" to "I want to run old border lands with a penchant for lands from Urza's Saga and Tempest that still have the "t: Add a G" rules text". I have a huge amount of nostalgia for lands from Urza's both because I think they look gorgeous and because that was my first expansion and thus holds a special place in my heart. A shame I sold/tossed out/gave away so many of them during the "only full art lands" era.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 months ago

I used to loathe anything with white border because it was different from the rest but these days with so many different styles, it just blurs together honestly. Didn't help I used to meme with all white border decks to challenge my building ability. Now, if I'm going old school, aside from That Mirage Swamp, I prefer to have the physical text Tap to add one {specific color} to your manapool from Unlimited (because screw buying Beta).

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 months ago

Molimo is all old-border foils, mostly from the OG few sets but the last six are from Dominaria United because a mate had them. Lathliss uses Unfinity Mountain 489 - the one with the big broken rock eggs. Everything else uses whatever came in it's respective precon or whatever I had in arms reach at the time of building.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 months ago

I like to run lands related to the commander and/or the themes. For example I have Feather who has a heroic theme so I try to only put lands from Theros and Ravnica.

That said I be cheap and sometimes will just put a random land I have into a deck if i don't have any more lands that match flavor wise.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 months ago

The only deck of mine that I cared enough to get specific basics for is Zedruu, and I got the Arena 1999 promo foil basics, which are just Urza's Saga basics but foiled, which lets me foil my basics while also having the full ": Add to your mana pool" rules text.

In all my other decks, my basics are the shameless chaos of whatever basics were easiest to find at the moment.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 4 months ago

duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
What basic land art to chose? (for Braids, Arisen Nightmare )
I would suggest a phyrexian themed swamp? These are affordable and I think they look fantastic: https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/47552 ... ish&page=1

If you really want the bling, I say this: https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/47556 ... ge=English

I run full arts and never more than one copy in a deck. I've always been a sucker them since they were introduced. If I like the art, I usually grab a set off ebay or TCGplayer. I also use a couple of gold signature art cards as lands which is weird I know, but for some reason I really dig it. My approach to basic lands really rubs some people the wrong way because most people like all their basics to match or follow a theme, but for me, I'm a collector and I want to always see different stuff. Every other card in the deck is unique right?? Gotta have that bling...

These are basics I'm currently using in Niv:

WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

duducrash
Still Learning

RowanKeltizar wrote:
4 months ago
I would suggest a phyrexian themed swamp? These are affordable and I think they look fantastic: https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/47552 ... ish&page=1

If you really want the bling, I say this: https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/47556 ... ge=English

Interesting, why? As far as I remember, she wasn't compleated, she joined some of the weatherlight crew to fight the phyrexians.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 4 months ago

Oh, well that shows you how much I'm NOT following recent events. I just assumed she got compleated like everyone else or allied with phyrexians. In that case, I guess skys the limit when it comes to basics.

I guess I would go with something non-landscape like or maybe a bit whimsical/nightmareish.

I like this art:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
If you want to go retro/nostalgic I'd say the original Odyssy basics in foil if you can find them

https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/18450 ... ge=English
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 months ago
In all my other decks, my basics are the shameless chaos of whatever basics were easiest to find at the moment.
nice, my mono-g Omnath, Locus of Mana has nothing but white bordered forest because that i'm just like that.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”