Topical Discussion of the Official Multiplayer Ban List

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 week ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 week ago
we can convert them to building Phelddagrif group hug as time goes on.
No.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Venedrex
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 week ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 week ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 week ago
we can convert them to building Phelddagrif group hug as time goes on.
No.
Lol, my apologies. Phelddagrif deal making while giving out favors, play the table like a fiddle, and eventually win after subtly acquiring advantages by tactically manipulating the flow of battle and flying under the radar? Am I getting warmer?

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 days ago

Grand! I'm glad to hear that they're choking the torrent of 5C goodstuff, and in that context, banning Golos is even better. Worldfire requires setup comparable to something like Insurrection to win, and also seems like the sort of single, distinct card that can be rule-0'd fairly easily.
Decks: Flicker Feather, Krenko, Varina, Zabaz

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 days ago

Wow. I honestly didn't think they'd have the guts to do it. I can't stand Golos, but banning one of the most popular commanders ever printed?* That's ballsy.

*I'm not over selling Golos's popularity, am I? It is/was really that popular, right?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 7/2/21 (Modern Horizons 2)

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 3 days ago

RxPhantom wrote:
3 days ago
Wow. I honestly didn't think they'd have the guts to do it. I can't stand Golos, but banning one of the most popular commanders ever printed?* That's ballsy.

*I'm not over selling Golos's popularity, am I? It is/was really that popular, right?
Nope. You are not. According to EDHREC, Golos, Tireless Pilgrim is the number one most popular commander in the past two years.

I am interested to see their comments behind it (but I can't access the site due to it being down right now), but for now, all I will say is so long, farewell.

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 3 days ago

I don't understand why they would unban Worldfire but leave Sway of the Stars banned.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

BeneTleilax

Guardman wrote:
3 days ago

Nope. You are not. According to EDHREC, Golos, Tireless Pilgrim is the number one most popular commander in the past two years.

I am interested to see their comments behind it (but I can't access the site due to it being down right now), but for now, all I will say is so long, farewell.
They basically said he was too centralizing to deckbuilding and play, given that he offered both ramp and payoff, and could cheese the tax. He was too centralizing to play given that activating his ability was generally the best thing you could be doing whenever you can. They admitted that Kenrith can be just as centralizing to deckbuilding, but he doesn't provide ramp by himself and is less centralizing in play, so they don't think they will have to ban him, but are keeping an eye out.
Also, that their liason to R&D is taking a pretty hard stance against 5C goodstuff going forwards to prevent the next Golos.
tstorm823 wrote:
3 days ago
I don't understand why they would unban Worldfire but leave Sway of the Stars banned.
I thought Sway was closer to Shahrazad, in that it effectively restarts the game, whereas Worldfire was overwhelmingly used to just win.

Sharpened

Post by Sharpened » 3 days ago

So Sheldon posted an article on Starcity with more in-depth analysis: https://articles.starcitygames.com/sele ... 1582396687

I suspect Sway of the Stars could come off the banlist as well, but I see no problem with them releasing Worldfire first and watching what happens.

BeneTleilax

Sharpened wrote:
3 days ago
So Sheldon posted an article on Starcity with more in-depth analysis: https://articles.starcitygames.com/sele ... 1582396687

I suspect Sway of the Stars could come off the banlist as well, but I see no problem with them releasing Worldfire first and watching what happens.
Agreed. I also think the format has moved away, culturally, from reset/tie cards for the lulz, making it less of a concern.

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 3 days ago

Well, I had already stopped playing for a few months, but now any desire I may have had to start playing again is pretty much dead, so that's cool. Thanks for saving my wallet, RC. :)
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

onering

Post by onering » 3 days ago

The explanation of the Golos ban is basically the same drum I've been beating for a long while now. Love to see it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rules and Philosophy”