SCD: Rhystic Study

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 day ago

The forthcoming is a bit of a rant. Feel free to try to convince me but I really don't care, I'm just venting. :D

A small legend
SP - Study player

This card is not good in most scenarios. The only reason it's "good" is because your opponents are making poor play decisions, and people count on impatience. Playing this card is basically presuming that at least one of your opponents will make bad decisions in order to "get to play" - it's *almost* a classic Prisoner's Dilemma except that it doesn't really benefit the person who defects (as much as they think it will) so it's more of a false dilemma. It presents as a dilemma where if one person defects everyone should defect, but that's not really an accurate understanding in most cases.

It's certainly possible for it to be correct to defect; there are scenarios where being the only defector will win you the game *if you can win right now* - but way, way too many things are out of your control for this to be correct very often.

If you defect and try to win, the other players are often forced to defect trying to stop you (yuck, more cards for SP). Because Commander is a zero sum game they must expend all resources to prevent your immediate victory even if it guarantee's SP's win).

If you defect and simply try to get ahead, it is very, very difficult to understand if it's actually increasing your win rate!

- It gets worse the more you defect
- It gets more likely for others to defect the more you defect
- You can force others to defect by defecting!
- Reason 44 (1)

What's the bottom line on all this nonsense? My simple rules for playing against Rhystic Study

1) Everyone always cooperates. Even if it means you miss a land drop.
2) Everyone attacks the Rhystic Study player until they are dead or it is removed.

Yeah, there're other sources of bomb card advantage. But this one gives you choices and if everyone makes the right one, people will stop %$#% playing it and wasting all our time.

--
Footnotes
(1) People who play Rhystic Study are disproportionately likely to be playing stronger decks than everyone else, because it's a tryhardmobile.

--
Appendix

Here's some other reasons why you shouldn't play Rhystic Study that are unrelated to the whole bad/good play dynamic:

* It's a lousy topdeck when you're trying not to lose, because you don't get cards now. Divination is better on turn 7 when you're trying to come back.
* It's extremely random whether or not it helps you hit land drops.
* It wastes game time. So much game time.
* The entire table will collude against you and kill you now because they read my hate letter.

Tags:

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 day ago

I would love to advocate for banning Rhystic from the standpoint that its a miserable card that slows down games and its goodstuff. There is no "right way" to play around rhystic because if you pay the tax every time it still wins. Its a miserable card that does too much and it slows down games as it does it.

You should pay the tax but I am also an advocate of doing something every turn. If paying Rhystic's tax a single time makes you not able to play something then you should do your play and not pay it. If you can't pay Rhystic on two plays.... well then you are being greedy and need to answer rhystic.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 day ago

Even good players don't pay for Rhystic all the time (myself included) because as stated above, you cannot afford to not do things while everyone else does. And no one is going to always pay the 1 and treat it like a Thorn of Amethyst for all spells. Reliability is definitely a factor, but in practice this reliably draws more cards than it's mana value would typically allow, which is why it is so popular. Generally if I can double spell and not pay for 1 trigger, I'll let the single card go through. I am very averse to double spelling and not paying any triggers. That is too greedy for me. Unless I myself am setting up for a win the next round and I need both spells to get the proper set up. That risk my be worth it at that point.

Agree that it monopolized game time and is a groan to play through. I don't use mine much for this reason. It also ensures that you have everyone else's FULL attention at all points in the game, which is not always the best place to be for blue players. So there is the social cost of annoying the table and ensuring no one forgets that it is in play or that you are still drawing cards. It doesn't draw cards instantaneously, but it is a self-contained engine of value, and there are few of those available at such a bargain mana value.

Is Smothering Tithe a good card when it is a 4 mana do-nothing until your opponents next draw phase? It doesn't break even until your opponents collectively draw 4 cards. But I think we can agree that in practice it is more than worth the investment.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 day ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 day ago
Is Smothering Tithe a good card when it is a 4 mana do-nothing until your opponents next draw phase? It doesn't break even until your opponents collectively draw 4 cards. But I think we can agree that in practice it is more than worth the investment.
The tax is twice as much, the payoff is mana instead of cards and there is no option to skip drawing a card; Smothering Tithe and Rhystic Study have basically nothing in common from a play pattern perspective.

(other than wasting game time:D)
PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 day ago
And no one is going to always pay the 1 and treat it like a Thorn of Amethyst for all spells.
That's my point, if everyone does and just turns their dudes sideways at the SP then they'll quit playin it :D

I do always pay even if it sets me back unless it's to kill study / win.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 1 day ago

I recently cut Rhystic Study and Smothering Tithe from my Éowyn, Shieldmaiden deck for Sheriff of Safe Passage and Generous Plunderer.

They had tax synergy with Esper Sentinel, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, and Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, but then also negative synergy with Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Éowyn, Shieldmaiden.

When playing against it I always try to pay the 1, but make exceptions.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 day ago

DiD yOu PaY tHe OnE?

If we just edited that to "Can we punch you in the face?" this is a valid response too. Seriously, stop running these cards out just because you know lil jimmy will slam werewolves into it because they want to play wolves without knowing how much your stupid enchantment skews the game. Tbh, it's really not that different from Trade Secrets in all honesty.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 23 hours ago

If RS works like Mind's Eye where you too have to pay 1 or 2 extra to draw in addition to taxing opponents, it'd would been a lot more balanced. Ban RS and create a new version should be considered.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 22 hours ago

Oh good I get to have a contrarian opinion. I love doing that.

I do think RS is a very strong card. I don't think that's a serious debate, at least at casual level. The bullet points at the end are, not to put too fine a point on it, cope. Sure it's less reliable than divination but the ceiling is way, way, WAY higher. Even if everyone always pays, a 3 mana asymmetric Sphere of Resistance is really strong. It's easily worth the tradeoff from a power perspective and anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

I don't think it wastes THAT much time. Most of the time people just have to tack on a "...and I don't pay the 1" or "...and I pay the 1" whenever they cast a spell. Everyone gets used to it pretty quickly and the game is only slightly slowed in my experience. If the rhystic study player has to always ask "do you pay the 1?" then the other players need to start paying more attention.

As far as whether someone SHOULD pay the 1...it depends a lot on the game state of course, but I think more often than not the correct answer is to not pay the 1 unless the person with the rhystic is the clear threat, at which point colluding with the rest of the table is your best bet. But agnostic of board state, no, I think paying the 1 every time is a significantly bigger imposition than having a single opponent drawing a bunch of cards. Tempo is crucial, and the value in nerfing only one of your opponents by paying the 1 depends heavily on the game state. Lotus Petal is a played card for a reason - trading a card for a mana is pretty reasonable a lot of the time, and when you decline to pay the 1, you aren't losing an entire card versus the table, you're losing a card versus one opponent - so in a 4p game, 1/3 of a card versus the table in exchange for 1 mana. If you do the math, hey presto, 1 card = 3 mana is literally black lotus, the best card in the game. So it kinda seems like a worthwhile tradeoff.

Another factor not being considered is that draw has diminishing returns. The first card you draw is more valuable than the second which is more valuable than the third. If the rhystic player is low on cards when they cast it, and everyone always pays the 1, then the market value of paying the 1 remains pretty high. But when the rhystic player already has 15 cards in hand (and especially if they still have max hand size 7), paying the 1 is almost guaranteed to be the weaker choice unless you have nothing to do with that mana.

Collusion can be a useful tool against rhystic when the rhystic player is a major threat, but I think people who think you should ALWAYS collude against it are drastically oversimplifying the game state. If someone thinks they can win, they're going to ignore it. If they think someone else is going to win, they're going to ignore it to stop them. If they think they're getting behind, they're going to ignore it to catch up. These are all reasonable decisions to make, they come up all the time, and expecting people to commit to some hard-and-fast rule until the heat death of the universe is absurd. The "always pay 1" alliance is generally only going to hold together as long as the RS player is the primary threat, which is how it should be played against.

I find the example of "if you break the code by not paying, then everyone else is forced to target you and also break the code and then the RS player wins" to be ridiculous. If the RS player draws a bunch of cards, that also increases their threat level and they should also be targeted. Why is the person not paying worthy of being threat-assessed and targeted, but not the RS player? A much easier, less colludy way to handle a RS player is to simply play normally, pay the 1 when it costs you nothing, and when they have a bunch of cards, correctly assess that they are a threat and target them accordingly. Not because RS = evil, but because cards in hand are a resource and someone with a lot of resources is a bigger threat. And if someone else becomes the threat instead, well maybe it'll be good that the RS player has a bunch of cards to stop them.

I was playing last week with my Eris, Roar of the Storm deck and someone played rhystic against me. If I paid the 1 every time I cast my dozens of 1-mana-cantrips, I am absolutely obliterating my tempo into the dirt. Instead I played my deck normally, assessed him as a threat because he had a bunch of cards in hand, and killed him first with all the flyers I was making, which I was then able to use against the rest of the table to win. If I'd been trying to pay the 1 every time, I wouldn't have been able to kill him nor anyone else.

I think the most important thing to emphasize through my rambling is that these heuristics of "always pay the 1" and "always attack the rhystic player" are simplistic to the point of uselessness. Yes the card is strong, but it's not so strong that it overrides all other threat assessment. Yes the card is annoying, but going into a blood rage every time you see it WILL decrease your winrate, and will possibly make you look like a lunatic if you go on a rant every time an opponent declines to pay the 1.

Personally I'm a crisis = opportunity guy. I see someone else play rhystic, my first thought is "sweet, now while everyone is distracted trying to stop that guy, I can quietly assemble the doom cannon".
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 19 hours ago

My default response to Rhystic Study is 'kill it with fire'. It doesn't matter what else is on the board or who is the furthest ahead - I will target the person controlling it.

More broadly, the two baselines for Rhystic Study are 'whenever your opponents cast a spell, draw a card' and 'spells your opponents cast cost more'. In 1v1, these modes are somewhat underwhelming - if your opponent is playing one card per turn, that means your opponent gets to choose whether you have Phyrexian Arena or a Stone Rain. Those modes are fine, but not amazing, particularly when your opponent gets to choose which you get.

However, both effects scale linearly with the number of players - either you're drawing three extra cards per turn cycle, or you deny three mana to your opponents... and it only gets better when your opponents are casting multiple spells per turn. At the very least, you will likely either make back your mana investment within a turn cycle or get an incredibly efficient draw spell, and it sticks around to generate more value over time. Your opponents do get to choose whichever mode is worse for you... but the floor is high enough for both modes to be pretty good, particularly in the early game when people have limited mana.

I don't quite believe Rhystic Study is banworthy, but I do think it leads to pretty obnoxious play patterns. Cards that scale with the number of players in the game tend to be pretty dangerous in multiplayer from a design perspective, particularly when they're generating resources. Mana Geyser and Dockside Extortionist are two obvious points of comparison, but stuff like Koma, Cosmos Serpent and Syr Konrad, the Grim can also be a problem due to their scaling nature.

pokken

Post by pokken » 12 hours ago

Just to clarify this is not a "ban study" Thread, this is a "discuss how to appropriately respond to study" thread :D Ban thread is in the rules forum.

Play pattern ways I'll stand by my advice:
Most of the time it's correct to pay while focus firing the Study player, because, and I'll bold this:

It is very, very difficult to know if you are actually increasing your odds of winning by defecting.

And you shouldn't defect just to "play your cards" if it isn't actually helping you win. People have a massive bias toward taking actions in games even if it doesn't move the needle. Think hard about if it actually moves the needle is my advice.

--

There is an alternative strategy that only works if everyone's playing at a similar power level; everyone defects while focus firing the study player.

If study player is on infinite combos or lots of free counterspells that can really struggle, but if everyone's playing good stuff it can work. But it works best with an agreement to collude.

--

All this goes out the window if you're just trying to sling your cardboard and don't care about trying to win. In that case, go out and live your best live king.

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 11 hours ago

pokken wrote:
12 hours ago
Play pattern ways I'll stand by my advice:
Most of the time it's correct to pay while focus firing the Study player, because, and I'll bold this:

It is very, very difficult to know if you are actually increasing your odds of winning by defecting.
It's difficult to know if you're increasing your odds of winning in general in this format. There's always tradeoffs - the stronger your plays, the more hate you draw. Weigh the value of that opponent drawing a card versus you getting an extra mana when making your decisions, definitely. But I think most of the time the extra mana for you is more valuable, especially since once people stop paying for rhystic, the extra cards become less and less important. So unless it's a pretty firm line being held - i.e. in the archenemy RS situation - it tends to collapse.

At the end of the day, it's a judgment call whether to pay or not. There isn't an easy answer.
And you shouldn't defect just to "play your cards" if it isn't actually helping you win. People have a massive bias toward taking actions in games even if it doesn't move the needle. Think hard about if it actually moves the needle is my advice.
I guess that depends how you mean. Certainly I see people playing removal "just because they had the mana" which is extremely bad play. But advancing their board state should rarely be a poor decision unless they're clearly overcommitting into a wipe or overstating their threat level or something along those lines.

If your card isn't either an answer to an opponent (don't "play your cards") or advancing your board/game state (do "play your cards") then idk what it would be doing in the deck.
There is an alternative strategy that only works if everyone's playing at a similar power level; everyone defects while focus firing the study player.

If study player is on infinite combos or lots of free counterspells that can really struggle, but if everyone's playing good stuff it can work. But it works best with an agreement to collude.
This is how things frequently work out in my experience, minus the need to collude. If the rhystic player is drawing a lot of cards, it stands to reason that they're becoming a threat. I think you can each act in your own best interests by targeting them, without needing to shake any hands.

That said, I see rhystic a lot and not necessarily in strong decks. If the rhystic player is on a janky strategy a lot of the time I just ignore it entirely, because a single rhystic study is not sufficient to erase the entire rest of the game state.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 8 hours ago

pokken wrote:
12 hours ago

Playing your cards does, generally, move you towards winning, while not playing your cards tends to have the opposite effect.

Against most tables, Rhystic doesn't significantly slow the game down--players start automatically noting whether they do or don't pay for the tax, or I can just observe that they played a 3-mana spell with only 3 mana sources available and go ahead and announce that I'm drawing my card. As an aside, I hate when players with a Mystic Remora insist on asking if players pay their tax when it's blindingly obvious that, no, they do not have an extra 4 mana lying around.

I play Rhystic in 3 decks at the moment (I think):
Captain N'ghathrod -- has a high-ish curve and tends to have difficulty holding up mana unless it has drawn into a lot of rocks, which makes it difficult to work in good draw spells on turns 4-8 or so, and, as a mill deck, naturally is a lightning rod for aggro/removal from the rest of the table most games. Rhystic fits the curve (coming down before Captain and the 4, 5, 6, and 7 mana horrors or big mill pieces), keeps cards in hand without having to keep devoting mana and cards to doing so, and doesn't really increase my threat profile by much, since I'm already public enemy #1 most games, even when behind.

The Ur-Dragon -- very similar to Cap'n: high curve, little-to-no excess mana to be spending on turns when propelling game plan forward, often already the biggest threat. This has the further benefit of being able to utilize a lot of extra cards drawn with Sneak Attack, and can make some use of excess cards drawn and discarded with Patriarch's Bidding and Eerie Ultimatum.

Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow -- cEDH; Rhystic is a stax/interaction piece designed to fuel the hand with free interaction to try and stop other players from winning. Also, it's cEDH--everyone is the threat almost all of the time, and Yuriko with a lot of cards in hand is less of a threat of winning and more of a significant deterrent, which everyone not actively trying to win tends to appreciate. It's decks like Blue-Farm you need to be highly concerned with when they drop Rhystic.

Rhystic in Captain is essentially a very fair card in a fairly fair deck--it's slow, has a cumbersome game plan, no infinites I'm trying to dig for, and few ways to make good use of a lot of excess resources in hand. In Ur, it's less so, since it can be explosive having a full, or over-full grip at times, but often is playing the same way: 1 threat/turn. In Yuriko, it's keeping pace with the environment. For the first 2, drawing the cards is the preferred plan by a wide margin, but slowing others down to more closely match the speed the deck is going (well, mostly Captain...dragons can go big kind of early) is a boon. In Yuriko, I'm sometimes happier with the tax version because it is a grindier cEDH deck that wants the game to go longer, and often has a full grip already (the diminishing returns @DirkGently mentions).

Most of the time Rhystic is drawing more than 3 cards for 3 mana, which is an unbeatable rate. Some games it's absolutely bonkers, either against really bad players, or very efficient decks that are casting multiple spells a turn. And in some games it draws 0-2 cards, putting it at or under rate for card draw, but often above rate for a 1-sided Sphere of Resistance. I don't normally like a lot of swingy randomness in my card choices where the floor is 'did nothing but eat removal', but with a ceiling and more importantly average as high as Rhystic's, it's hard to argue for not playing it.

While it's true that it's sometimes a poor top deck later in the game, it's really only worse than another draw spell IF that draw spell gets you cards you can then use immediately. If you draw and cast Painful Truths on turn 7 when you have 7 mana available, and everything you draw is 5+, then it did nothing for you. If it drew you 3 lands, and you already had a land in hand, it didn't do anything for you. The burst draw spells are better only if they draw you into something you can use immediately. Otherwise, Rhystic may get you those cards in the turn cycle to use next turn anyway.

When I play against Rhystic, I try to pay the tax most of the time, even if opponents are not doing so. I think "bad" game play is when players cast multiple, low-impact spells each turn, and don't pay the tax for any. Giving a player an extra 1-2 cards per turn is, for sure, an issue, but it's not dramatically so--that's Phyrexian Arena or Sylvan Library territory (a not good card, and a very solid card that's stellar if you don't have to pay the life, respectively)--however, giving an opponent 4+ cards/turn is a real problem, and I think that should be avoided unless you're going for a win yourself (and even then, depending on the deck with Rhystic, you may be shooting yourself in the foot in the process). There's no clear 'right answer' most games. You could opt to always pay the tax and then sit on your hands instead of advancing your game, which most assuredly gives the edge to the Rhystic player, or you can slow down a little in order to pay the tax most of the time, which may or may not be giving Rhystic the edge, or you can propel yourself forward at max speed, ignoring Rhystic, which again, may or may not be favoring Rhystic.

pokken

Post by pokken » 7 hours ago

yeti1069 wrote:
8 hours ago
Playing your cards does, generally, move you towards winning, while not playing your cards tends to have the opposite effect.
This is where the complexity of understanding whether you are actually increasing your odds of winning by defecting comes into play.

A lot of the time you will be hurting your odds of winning by rushing to cast your spells if there's a study on board. Hence why good players almost always pay the tax.
yeti1069 wrote:
8 hours ago
Most of the time Rhystic is drawing more than 3 cards for 3 mana
And what I'm sayin is this is most of the time because your opponents are making mistakes.
yeti1069 wrote:
8 hours ago
When I play against Rhystic, I try to pay the tax most of the time
Like good players do.
yeti1069 wrote:
8 hours ago
There's no clear 'right answer' most games. You could opt to always pay the tax and then sit on your hands instead of advancing your game, which most assuredly gives the edge to the Rhystic player

(emphasis mine)

"most assuredly?" I wouldn't say that at all. I think it's far more likely to be advancing the game of the SP to defect, and the correct thing to do is nothing almost all the time.

It's by far the exception that allowing draws is correct.

re: "diminishing returns"
This is a bit of a separate point, but the diminishing returns idea is mostly overstated in my opinion. Allowing people to keep drawing cards after they have a full grip continues to increase their chances of winning in most scenarios where the power level is moderate to high.

Yeah if you're playing a potato deck you can be flooded with cards you can't cast. But if you're playin Rhystic Study in a potato deck, whatever, enjoy your Craw Wurm you're not the audience.

yeti1069 wrote:
8 hours ago
The Ur-Dragon -- very similar to Cap'n: high curve, little-to-no excess mana to be spending on turns when propelling game plan forward, often already the biggest threat. This has the further benefit of being able to utilize a lot of extra cards drawn with Sneak Attack, and can make some use of excess cards drawn and discarded with Patriarch's Bidding and Eerie Ultimatum.
feeding study vs. a deck like Ur Dragon is insanity. There are zero diminishing returns for Urdy. Every card is potentially the Sneak Attack or Old Gnawbone or Hellkite Courser or whatever that jams the nail in the coffin. :D

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 7 hours ago

If you have the choice between playing something an having an opponent draw a card, or playing nothing, the latter is often not the more beneficial decision for you. Do you turn Rhystic Study into an opposing Time Walk?

The higher the power you're playing at, the riskier not paying becomes. If you're not at a power level where Rhystic is likely digging towards a compact wincon, then excess cards aren't necessarily a strict advantage in actual game play. Card selection is a thing, for sure, but isn't game-breaking. Yeah, whoever has the most resources tends to win, but that isn't strictly the case, as resource utilization and quality come into it.

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 7 hours ago

yeti1069 wrote:
7 hours ago
If you have the choice between playing something an having an opponent draw a card, or playing nothing, the latter is often not the more beneficial decision for you. Do you turn Rhystic Study into an opposing Time Walk?
Here's where I step in. Hot Take: Time Walk isn't actually a good card on it's own. It's a two mana draw a card. It gets good based on other complications on the board (combat applications, planeswalker activations, misc activated or triggered abilities) et al. Just because a card is "Power 9" doesn't mean it's obscene automatically.

If you play Rhystic, and my only play is draw and pass, and you draw and pass on your turn, then no, that rhystic or "time walk" as you put it didn't actually do anything. Just some context to consider before you automatically call something Power.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

pokken

yeti1069 wrote:
7 hours ago

The higher the power you're playing at, the riskier not paying becomes. If you're not at a power level where Rhystic is likely digging towards a compact wincon, then excess cards aren't necessarily a strict advantage in actual game play. Card selection is a thing, for sure, but isn't game-breaking. Yeah, whoever has the most resources tends to win, but that isn't strictly the case, as resource utilization and quality come into it.
I think you're actually backward; the higher power you're playing at, the worse letting the opponent draw is. If you watch some CEDH gameplay you will see that:

1) people rarely if ever allow draws off rhystic (and it's mostly bad players who rarely win who are making the choice to allow draws)
2) tables will take entire turn cycles off to punish a Mystic Remora (although this card has vastly different gameplay and doubles as combo insurance, so is worthy of its own discussion)

Further, the stronger the opposing deck the more irrelevant the idea of diminshing returns is because every card they draw jacks up their chances of having free spells and combo pieces.

(Above is bad reading comprehension
--

I think that the choice between letting an opponent draw (defecting) and doing nothing, it is by far the exception that it's correct to let the opponent draw. It's not "often" correct to defect. It's almost never right to defect, and the times when it is are...when it actually improves your odds to win (and only then).

My position is again:
- it is very hard to know if you're actually improving your win percentage, because the game is complex
- it's probably less often than you think because of people's inherent biases (a whole sack of them) that bias toward doing something rather than nothing.
Last edited by pokken 7 hours ago, edited 1 time in total.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 7 hours ago

pokken wrote:
7 hours ago
yeti1069 wrote:
7 hours ago

I think you're actually backward; the higher power you're playing at, the worse letting the opponent draw is. If you watch some CEDH gameplay you will see that:

1) people rarely if ever allow draws off rhystic (and it's mostly bad players who rarely win who are making the choice to allow draws)
2) tables will take entire turn cycles off to punish a Mystic Remora (although this card has vastly different gameplay and doubles as combo insurance, so is worthy of its own discussion)

Further, the stronger the opposing deck the more irrelevant the idea of diminshing returns is because every card they draw jacks up their chances of having free spells and combo pieces.
I think you misread what I said, since your argument is agreeing with my statement. Not paying (allowing the draw) is riskier at higher powered tables.

I laugh/groan at players who try to win through an opposing Rhystic by playing a bunch of spells, especially if they aren't a deck running a ton of stack interaction themselves.
Last edited by yeti1069 7 hours ago, edited 1 time in total.

pokken

yeti1069 wrote:
7 hours ago
I think you misread what I said, since your argument is agreeing with my statement. Not paying (allowing the draw) is riskier at higher powered tables.

I laugh/groan at players who try to win through an opposing Rhystic by playing a bunch of spells, especially if they aren't a deck running a ton of stack interaction themselves.

woop i can't read

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 6 hours ago

pokken wrote:
7 hours ago
This is where the complexity of understanding whether you are actually increasing your odds of winning by defecting comes into play.

A lot of the time you will be hurting your odds of winning by rushing to cast your spells if there's a study on board. Hence why good players almost always pay the tax.
What's the reasoning for why playing spells more quickly and not paying the tax diminishes your winrate?
yeti1069 wrote:
8 hours ago
Most of the time Rhystic is drawing more than 3 cards for 3 mana
And what I'm sayin is this is most of the time because your opponents are making mistakes.
What's your justification for calling it a mistake?
yeti1069 wrote:
8 hours ago
When I play against Rhystic, I try to pay the tax most of the time
Like good players do.
What's the justification for calling tax-payers "good players"?
the correct thing to do is nothing almost all the time.
Based on what?
It's by far the exception that allowing draws is correct.
Based on what?

This conversation always seems to lead to the same place. I'm interested in reasoning through it, but most of the conversation ends up being unjustified assertions.

Very anecdotal, granted, but I've had 3-4 games against rhystic in the past couple weeks. Rarely did anyone pay, and never did the rhystic player win.
re: "diminishing returns"
This is a bit of a separate point, but the diminishing returns idea is mostly overstated in my opinion. Allowing people to keep drawing cards after they have a full grip continues to increase their chances of winning in most scenarios where the power level is moderate to high.
Nobody is saying that additional draws are useless - more cards always equals more selection at a minimum (unless you're playing 60 relentless rats deck). It's diminishing returns, not zero returns. When you have two cards in hand and draw a third, the odds are really good that the card will give you a better play. When you have thirty cards in hand and draw a thirty-first, odds are pretty good that card won't change anything meaningful.
3drinks wrote:
7 hours ago
Here's where I step in. Hot Take: Time Walk isn't actually a good card on it's own. It's a two mana draw a card. It gets good based on other complications on the board (combat applications, planeswalker activations, misc activated or triggered abilities) et al. Just because a card is "Power 9" doesn't mean it's obscene automatically.
uhhhh....you kinda left out the whole "untap all your permanents including the land you used to cast it" part.
If you play Rhystic, and my only play is draw and pass, and you draw and pass on your turn, then no, that rhystic or "time walk" as you put it didn't actually do anything.
I'm not sure what you mean by that - are you passing because you chose not to cast a spell because you didn't have the mana to pay the tax? If so, it kinda seems like it did something by stopping you from advancing your board state. Especially given that it continues to have an effect on the board beyond that turn. It doesn't really matter what the RS player's turn is, if they don't have a play for unrelated reasons (which is what it seems like you're illustrating).
Just some context to consider before you automatically call something Power.
When people say something is time walking you, they don't mean the card is as powerful as time walk. They just mean it's making you skip an otherwise productive turn.

But I'm confused, weren't you just arguing that time walk wasn't good? So are you saying power isn't power? :hmm: I don't get it.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 5 hours ago

DirkGently wrote:
6 hours ago
3drinks wrote:
7 hours ago
uhhhh....you kinda left out the whole "untap all your permanents including the land you used to cast it" part.
If you play Rhystic, and my only play is draw and pass, and you draw and pass on your turn, then no, that rhystic or "time walk" as you put it didn't actually do anything.
I'm not sure what you mean by that - are you passing because you chose not to cast a spell because you didn't have the mana to pay the tax? If so, it kinda seems like it did something by stopping you from advancing your board state. Especially given that it continues to have an effect on the board beyond that turn. It doesn't really matter what the RS player's turn is, if they don't have a play for unrelated reasons (which is what it seems like you're illustrating).
When people say something is time walking you, they don't mean the card is as powerful as time walk. They just mean it's making you skip an otherwise productive turn.

But I'm confused, weren't you just arguing that time walk wasn't good? So are you saying power isn't power? :hmm: I don't get it.
Right, let's look at the card from the floor. You walk on 2, untap on 3 and...what changed? You spent 2 to draw a card. You coulda done that with a t2 elvish visionary.

The rhystic stuff is, more often than not i see players that keep bad hands with rhystic because they expect players feed them the cards they need to make their land drops. When instead if they rhystic, pass, you untap, land, and pass (even better if it's a mishras factory or similar) then they untap and haven't seen any benefit to their 3mv investment. You treat rhystic (and remora) like you treat a Standstill, but too many players today want to go fast and not read your cards. Thus, you see rhystic over perform when it shouldn't.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 4 hours ago

3drinks wrote:
5 hours ago
DirkGently wrote:
6 hours ago
3drinks wrote:
7 hours ago

Right, let's look at the card from the floor. You walk on 2, untap on 3 and...what changed? You spent 2 to draw a card. You coulda done that with a t2 elvish visionary.

The rhystic stuff is, more often than not i see players that keep bad hands with rhystic because they expect players feed them the cards they need to make their land drops. When instead if they rhystic, pass, you untap, land, and pass (even better if it's a mishras factory or similar) then they untap and haven't seen any benefit to their 3mv investment. You treat rhystic (and remora) like you treat a Standstill, but too many players today want to go fast and not read your cards. Thus, you see rhystic over perform when it shouldn't.
So, let's say you, as the non-Rhystic player pass without doing anything. Then Rhystic passes without doing anything. If you gain no new plays that don't feed the Rhystic, do you do that again?

What if you pass, and Rhystic does play something. If you don't have a new play that doesn't feed Rhystic, do you pass again?

What if RP has a creature that provides value when it deals combat damage, and you haven't played a blocker yet. Rhystic comes out, you draw a blocker, but can't pay the Rhystic tax, which do you choose? No blocks, or provide a card draw?

If you have Smothering Tithe in hand, and they have RS in play, do you play Tithe, giving them a draw, with the assumption that you will gain mana from Rhystic not being paid for occasionally? Perhaps even by yourself?

What if another opponent has a dangerous permanent that you have removal for. Do you feed Rhystic to remove the other card?

pokken

Post by pokken » 4 hours ago

yeti1069 wrote:
4 hours ago
So, let's say you, as the non-Rhystic player pass without doing anything. Then Rhystic passes without doing anything. If you gain no new plays that don't feed the Rhystic, do you do that again?

What if you pass, and Rhystic does play something. If you don't have a new play that doesn't feed Rhystic, do you pass again?

What if RP has a creature that provides value when it deals combat damage, and you haven't played a blocker yet. Rhystic comes out, you draw a blocker, but can't pay the Rhystic tax, which do you choose? No blocks, or provide a card draw?

If you have Smothering Tithe in hand, and they have RS in play, do you play Tithe, giving them a draw, with the assumption that you will gain mana from Rhystic not being paid for occasionally? Perhaps even by yourself?

What if another opponent has a dangerous permanent that you have removal for. Do you feed Rhystic to remove the other card?
1. yes sure! if the board isn't advancing, I'm ahead because they're down a card and 3 mana for rhystic. I'm happy to draw go as long as people let me.

2. sure. The other people are also playing cards, presumably, so I'll see how that develops. take as long as you can to let someone else answer it.

3. creature combat damage value - If the board is them saboteur and two other guys blockers, and me nothing, what I assume is both the other players will likely bash them if they hit me, so I'm going to take it for the team. It also depends on how good my blocker is and what it does, maaaaybe. I'm happy to wait one turn and take a hit so I can deny them the card.

All kinds of %$#% can happen :D

4. if I have Smothering Tithe and they have Rhystic Study is a very, very niche case in which I can make the choice to feed myself ramp by letting them draw cards. I'd need to think hard about this because a main way out of Rhystic Study board state is someone sweeping enchantments, so I want to think hard about exposing my Smothering Tithe to that.

The main nice thing about Tithe is it further dissuades people from defecting, so I think that's a niche play where it *can* be correct to ram it out as soon as possible.

The problem is if Rhystic Study draws removal and kills your tithe immediately, you've wasted 4 mana for no material gain. Especially if they kill tithe while the rhystic trigger you can't pay for is on the stack. :D

Bottom line: This *might* be a situation where I think about running it out!

5. Other dangerous permanent I have removal for -- I wait until it is going to cost me the game before I remove it and don't pay; it's Rhystic Study player's job to manage the board :D

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 2 hours ago

yeti1069 wrote:
4 hours ago

Sure do. I can untap, play land, and pass too. Or maybe I made my next land play and I can play a three drop with the tax and do something on board. Maybe I have an Urza Saga or Kher Keep and I start making a board. Or I start cracking fixing lands and set my colours up. Also a great time to get thawing glaciers started too, and that'll make that rhystic look real dang silly as I've blanked it with my lands until my resources have developed enough that I can play through it without issue (or I find my REB to get rid of it).

Your hypothetical gets away from the case I've outlined, in that most players are bad and succumb to greed in the deck building phase, as they'd rather fall on a rusty spork rather than make their fourth land drop, thus they're too resource starved to get to the next phase of development as they relied on other players feeding them extra cards to hopefully hit their land drops. You've also introduced new elements into the conversation (smothering tithe) which gets away from the subject-matter too.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”