Unreleased and New Card Discussion

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 3 months ago

Duskana, the rage mother is perfect for hatebears.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

RogHimself

Post by RogHimself » 3 months ago

Mookie wrote:
3 months ago
Unexplained absence looks interesting - Stroke of Midnight for each opponent, but it exiles and cloaks a card instead of giving a 1/1. White has a lot of flexible removal options, but not many that hit multiple targets. Seems strong.
Killian, Ink Duelist approves this card. Two creatures and a nonland permanent for one mana, sounds legit.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 3 months ago

Marvo, Deep Operative made me smile. I know the deep sea denizens have gotten a lot of love in various sets over the last couple years but none of them are Octopus Rogues. The little guy got a job, I'm so proud of him.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 3 months ago

The red Willbender is so much stronger than the original!

Veiled Ascension makes Kadena cry.

Panoptic Projector is interesting. Don't know if I can squeeze that in at 4 mana.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 3 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
3 months ago
How many hatebears are really 2/2?

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 months ago

I'm incorporating the Boros goad deck into my Marchesa deck. A lot of great cards that'd add to the political feud.

Unexplained absence and any cards that creature creatures for opponents will further douse oil on fire.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 months ago

Pretty crazy common, with an impressive amount of flexibility.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 3 months ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
3 months ago
Oh, I love this card as a Scooby Doo fan! Def building around them vs Morska now.
Please alter/get someone else to alter Sophia into Shaggy and Scooby!
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 months ago

ilovesaprolings wrote:
3 months ago
NZB2323 wrote:
3 months ago
How many hatebears are really 2/2?
I guess not that many, and there also aren't many tokens that make 2/2s.

Niv-Mizzet, Guildpact has been spoiled. I still have no idea why he wasn't in the story.

He seems great with cards like Deathrite Shaman that are cheap and 2 colors. Unless you give Niv haste though he has to sit for a turn before you can use his ability.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 months ago

Looking at the Deadly Disguise precon and its cards +the cards from the set

that settles it i'm taking the challenge to meld that deck with my Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer

(basically the 5-color challenge)

so i know atleast these and the two commanders from each precon

yeti1069

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 months ago

that settles it i'm taking the challenge to meld that deck with my Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer

Who would you put at the helm? I'm very interested in seeing what you do with this. I've had Animar as a morph commander, then swapped to Kadena. I'd considered swapping to Missy, but I already have 2 other Grixis decks, and didn't feel like I wanted to make that kind of change. Plus, I value a lot of the green morph cards/support.

I've found Elven Chorus to be very good the couple of times it's come up. For a while, I had these effects separately via Cryptolith Rite and Vizier of the Menagerie, so condensing them into one card seemed like a great idea. It also plays well with Illithid Harvester.

Personally, I don't know that Etrata is worth running unless you lean heavily into manifest/cloak. You'd need to add in 2-3 cards like Arcane Adaptation to make the assassin trigger work with any frequency, and 4 mana isn't a discount for most morphs. I think you'll also need some additional form of mass evasion, besides Veiled Ascension (SO jealous this can't go in Kadena) since a few of these new cards really want the morphs getting into combat, although between Yarus, Missy, and Yedora, Grave Gardener sending them on kamikaze runs can be profitable.

Without Kadena at the helm you probably don't need many flash enablers, though 1 or 2 would still be worthwhile with the play pattern of morph. I'm most curious how to cull a 5c morph deck down to just 100 cards, since I have trouble doing that with 2.5 colors (black doesn't figure into Kadena much--just 7 or 8 cards).

Expose the Culprit is the #1 reason I'd want to go back to having red in the morph deck. What a card! So cheap!

CommanderMaster999

yeti1069 wrote:
3 months ago
3 months ago

Who would you put at the helm? I'm very interested in seeing what you do with this. I've had Animar as a morph commander, then swapped to Kadena. I'd considered swapping to Missy, but I already have 2 other Grixis decks, and didn't feel like I wanted to make that kind of change. Plus, I value a lot of the green morph cards/support.

I've found Elven Chorus to be very good the couple of times it's come up. For a while, I had these effects separately via Cryptolith Rite and Vizier of the Menagerie, so condensing them into one card seemed like a great idea. It also plays well with Illithid Harvester.

Personally, I don't know that Etrata is worth running unless you lean heavily into manifest/cloak. You'd need to add in 2-3 cards like Arcane Adaptation to make the assassin trigger work with any frequency, and 4 mana isn't a discount for most morphs. I think you'll also need some additional form of mass evasion, besides Veiled Ascension (SO jealous this can't go in Kadena) since a few of these new cards really want the morphs getting into combat, although between Yarus, Missy, and Yedora, Grave Gardener sending them on kamikaze runs can be profitable.

Without Kadena at the helm you probably don't need many flash enablers, though 1 or 2 would still be worthwhile with the play pattern of morph. I'm most curious how to cull a 5c morph deck down to just 100 cards, since I have trouble doing that with 2.5 colors (black doesn't figure into Kadena much--just 7 or 8 cards).

Expose the Culprit is the #1 reason I'd want to go back to having red in the morph deck. What a card! So cheap!
I'm stuck with Kenrith, the Returned King for now. Hopeful down the line that ends up changing to a commander to something like a playable Ugin, he's primary colorless but he retains the ability to use all 5-colors of magic, Plus the flavor is when he went to tarkir as is new home he gave the gift of morph technique to all the clans (some of the dragons know it too as well.)

yeti1069

3 months ago

I'm stuck with Kenrith, the Returned King for now. Hopeful down the line that ends up changing to a commander to something like a playable Ugin, he's primary colorless but he retains the ability to use all 5-colors of magic, Plus the flavor is when he went to tarkir as is new home he gave the gift of morph technique to all the clans (some of the dragons know it too as well.)
I kind of thought Kenrith was the card you were thinking of. I guess there aren't too many other options that are at all relevant, and Kenrith dovetails a little with the morph style of holding up mana to flip up a morph--if you get to the last EOT, you can sink mana to draw a card, gain life, or pump something. I just feel like, much of the time you'll have a strain between spending mana on Kenrith or on morphs. Besides that, white is likely the 3rd or 4th most prominent color in a morph deck, and Kenrith's reanimate ability is often going to be underwhelming.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 months ago

Expedited Inheritance is one of those stand out build around cards. Blasphemous Act with six expendable creatures would be 78 cards basically drawn. Its a symmetrical effect but if you are essentially drawing your deck that is tuned you are going to win without passing the turn. I've already started drafting a Kykar, Wind's Fury deck that looks to abuse it with cards like Act and Firestorm.

Illicit Masquerade definitely got infinite potentials. If you have a sacrifice outlet combined with Felidar Guardian and a creature that produces two tokens (Grave Titan) on ETB/Dies then you can sacrifice them before Illicit Masquerade puts the counter on Felidar and token maker.

Lands decks got some incredible new tools with Worldsoul's Rage and Aftermath Analyst. The surveil dual lands also strengthen this archetype. I like Aftermath Analyst more than World Shaper, even though it costs more mana to invest, there is more consistency when it triggers.

Unexplained Absence is a very nice removal for Sunforger decks. Having to target one of your own permanents I see as an upside as you get to choose.

Dunadain
I like turtles

darrenhabib wrote:
3 months ago
Expedited Inheritance is one of those stand out build around cards. Blasphemous Act with six expendable creatures would be 78 cards basically drawn.
See, I would call that 78 cards basically MILLED. XD

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
3 months ago
darrenhabib wrote:
3 months ago
Expedited Inheritance is one of those stand out build around cards. Blasphemous Act with six expendable creatures would be 78 cards basically drawn.
See, I would call that 78 cards basically MILLED. XD
But you would get 2 turns to play them, and if you have Mana Geyser in your deck, good chance you storm off immediately. I think the primary issue is the set up in finding the enchantment, so a deck would be ideal for finding it, and utilizing the rituals needed to capitalize on the card selection.

I think it would be more fun in something like a deck for the value, rather than another cog in the storm combo engine. But giving opponent's access to that many cards is too dangerous if you are not planning on taking over the game after a big burn spell.

Dunadain
I like turtles

PrimevalCommander wrote:
3 months ago
good chance you storm off immediately.
Aaaand you lost me =)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 months ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 months ago
Unexplained Absence is a very nice removal for Sunforger decks. Having to target one of your own permanents I see as an upside as you get to choose.
You don't have to target your own permanent, it's up to 1. So yes it is pure upside since you can choose if you want to convert something into a manifest or not.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

RogHimself

Post by RogHimself » 3 months ago

Worldsoul's Rage seems really good in my Omnath, Locus of Rage deck, which already resolves around putting lands in my graveyard (fetchlands, Harrow effects, Sylvan Safekeeper etc.)

Cards like Amulet of Vigor/Spelunking/Tiller Engine will give most of your mana investment back.
Lotus Cobra/Nissa, Resurgent Animist/Tireless Provisioner are also already in the list and bring this card over the top.

Will replace Tempt with Vengeance for this card and test it out!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 months ago

If a card its exclusively from the commander decks, is it avaliable in foil ? Unexplained Absence in particular, this card seems like the top removal spell in white, no? while talking about premier removal Anzrag's Rampage seems like a future staple

as for the new stuff.

Archdruid's Charm - this card seems nuts if you can constantly cast it. As someone pointed ITT this is actually has 5 different modes, insane. I'll try in Karador, Ghost Chieftain could be hard to get GGG in 3 colors but I'm doing my math. I'll try in several other decks if its not a crazy expensive card
Aftermath Analyst - Yeah this seems like something taylor made for me in special.
All the surveil lands, I'll try all 3 I guess, both green ones for sure.

Raff

Both UW clue game cards could be a fit in a pillowfort build. So I might try it. how does Suppressor Skyguard works if they are attacking my PWs and not me?

General Ferrous

Warleader's Call

Tolsimir
Tolsimir, Midnight's Light

the reprints in the commander deck were super nice too

yeti1069

The problem with Anzrag's Rampage is you have little/no control over X, and those cards don't go back into your library. I could definitely see this being an undesirable spell in too many situations.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 3 months ago

Let's see.

My Battlebox gets Lonis, Cryptozoologist, because I have nowhere else to put them, but they are just too adorable.

Trouble in Pairs, Immortal Obligation, and Aurelia, the Law Above are going to my pile of politic cards, that maybe one day become a deck. Demand Answers will go into several decks.

Selvala, Explorer Returned gets Lush Portico and Case Of the Uneaten Feast. It feels like a Yawgmoth's Will-at-home, so we'll see how that works. Oh, and Archdruid's Charm. That thing is beyond stupid.

Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded gets some new great toys in Krenko's Buzzcrusher and Incinerator of the Guilty.

Yenna, Redtooth Regent will love Buried in the Garden.

Jan Jansen, Chaos Crafter is quite happy with Crime Novelist and Teysa, Opulent Oligarch.

Jinnie Fay, Jetmir's Second gets a third copy of Purphoros, God of the Forge with Warleader's Call.

But the biggest winner of all is Lord Windgrace. The new lands are just fantastic for him, Aftermath Analyst ist equally great and the reprint of Assassin's Trophy finally makes it affordable.

Overall a pretty nice set!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 months ago

Highlights from the set:
  • Delney, Streetwise Lookout is a card I expect to be very popular. I don't think many decks have enough small creatures to slot Delney in as-is, but it's pretty easy to run more small value creatures. Triggering off all abilities (and not just ETBs) opens up some interesting new options. There is a ton of support for 'power 2 or less' in the set.
  • Lands decks got a ton of support - Undergrowth Recon, Case of the Locked Hothouse, Archdruid's Charm, Aftermath Analyst, and a few other options. I am slightly annoyed that their power level is proportional to how much money you can spend on your manabase though - they go way up in value if you have a full fetchland suite.
  • Cases look fun! Nice mix of quests and sagas, and they make for an interesting minigame.
  • Dopplegang is a very silly finisher that I will now attempt to jam in every ug deck.
  • Surveil lands looks good - both for graveyard-based strategies and decks that want more types lands. Very nice to get the whole cycle.
Lowlights from the set:
  • I'm still not sold on disguise / facedown cards.
  • Suspect seems like a limited-only mechanic
Overall, I think the set looks sweet - lots of good stuff. Not a classic Ravnica set, but it does generally mesh well with the classic themes.

CommanderMaster999

yeti1069 wrote:
3 months ago
The problem with Anzrag's Rampage is you have little/no control over X, and those cards don't go back into your library. I could definitely see this being an undesirable spell in too many situations.
I was like this 😡😡😤 when I saw "put them back on the bottom of your library" was missing.

So clearly this is not even close to competition against Vandalblast

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”