Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 10 months ago

Toshi wrote:
10 months ago
Maaan, all these leaked Adventures will make my 5C adventure deck even more fun!
I'd be completely shook if they were to print a fitting commander as well...
The new adventures do indeed look great. I'm going to hope I actually run some in my Kess deck this time around - they work fantastically with her mechanically (since the adventure overrides Kess's exile clause), but the existing options all feel a little too slow for me to actually run in my deck. Hmmm.... outside EDH, I'll probably be throwing a bunch of new ones in my cube, since they provide extra instant/sorcery density to support the spellslinger theme I have.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 10 months ago

Spoilers if you haven't read the last story online yet.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
After reading the last story today, I now really want see Kellan's card. Son of Oko. That's like your last name being Skywalker as far as magic players are concerned. lol, who knew the big hero of the next storyline would be Oko's boy haha.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 10 months ago

Venedrex wrote:
10 months ago
Spoilers if you haven't read the last story online yet.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
After reading the last story today, I now really want see Kellan's card. Son of Oko. That's like your last name being Skywalker as far as magic players are concerned. lol, who knew the big hero of the next storyline would be Oko's boy haha.
Sad to disappoint that Kellan, the Fae-Blooded is...another Boros Equipment commander :\ . Admittedly he looks okay - having Open the Armory in the command zone is interesting, and he's an efficient little double-striking body.

Super pumped for Syr Ginger, the Meal Ender though. Card looks stronks in this new food/treasure/clue meta we live in.

Venedrex

@TheGildedGoose

The Goose Mother

The Goose Mother
Legendary Creature — Bird Hydra
The Goose Mother enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When The Goose Mother enters the battlefield, create half X Food tokens, rounded up.
Whenever The Goose Mother attacks, you may sacrifice a Food. If you do, draw a card.
2/2

The goose. is. loose.

I think you kind of have to build this as a commander, for branding purposes if nothing else.
Last edited by Venedrex 10 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 10 months ago

Kellan can search up Sunforger though. I have no complaints.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 10 months ago

All the uncommon two-color signposts have been spoiled, they're a full ten-card cycle of legendary creatures.

I'd never thought I'd see Faerie typal ever again, yet here we are. You can almost smell the fear of the designers emanating from the Faerie signpost.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Mookie

Alright, now that previews have formally started, time to review stuff!

Mechanics:
  • Enchanting tales: not a mechanic, but alt-art enchantment reprints look sweet, and I like the additional support for Limited. My cube has heavy artifact and enchantment themes, and something I noticed when building it is that the card pool for artifact support is significantly (~3x) deeper than enchantment support. So, I'm happy to see more enchantment themes.
  • Role tokens: I love clue / food / treasure tokens, but I'm less a fan of Roles... mostly for logistical reasons. Most of them are '+1/+1 counter with minor upside', which is a bit too complicated to represent with a die - you really need to have the token cards available.
  • Bargain: seems reasonable and applicable to many decks - artifacts, enchantments, and tokens are all pretty widely played.
  • Celebration: eh. Not hard to trigger, but not trivial either. Will ultimately depend on how strong the payoffs are, but I don't see myself building around it. Good in flicker decks, I guess.
  • Adventures: still a fantastic (and strong) mechanic. As mentioned before, I hope some of them end up in Kess.
Cards:

Sporegorger_Dragon

Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
The adventure is a bit clunky, but a 4/4 flyer for 4 that generates treasure seems perfectly reasonable.
Wait, why is the Adventure part clunky? Instant pseudo-draw two, you can play them the rest of the game and can nab lands. The only drawback is that you still have to use the correct mana, but hey, that's what Treasure's for.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 10 months ago

As a Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm player I feel profoundly trolled by the adventure part of Decadent Dragon.

KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif » 10 months ago

Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
Blossoming Tortoise is a nice card for land-recursion decks. World Shaper with a bit of extra upside. Being a mythic slightly annoys me, but the extra text is relevant for the new manlands.
This card will work wonders in my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant list. World Shaper's dies trigger is still better, though, but for redundancy I love this tortoise! Also, it makes Cabal Coffers activate for 1 less, which is great as well.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 10 months ago

I'll try tortoise on Karador. Cool card, mills, ramps, is a tortoise. great stuff, like that you can bring any land back not only lands you milled with its effect

I know this is a commander forum, but bargain could be huge for pauper synthesizer I'm excited

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 10 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
10 months ago
Bro, i have been waiting for this commander for years, Sunforger toolbox is finally going to be a real thing.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
10 months ago
Bro, i have been waiting for this commander for years, Sunforger toolbox is finally going to be a real thing.
Guess you missed out on the 4+ cmc Plargg, Dean of Chaos // Augusta, Dean of Order sunforger deck lmao.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 10 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
10 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
10 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
10 months ago
Guess you missed out on the 4+ cmc Plargg, Dean of Chaos // Augusta, Dean of Order sunforger deck lmao.
No I didn't, lol. I even brewed my own, but that's a pretty hefty restriction. Now we just have honest to goodness equipment tutor in the command zone.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 10 months ago

Maaaaaaaaaan, I hope we get at least one cool Curse out of this set/Commander product. Witches, warlocks, faeries, and auras galore? Gotta give us something.

Signpost uncommon legends, that is a trend I like.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I first thought Yenna, Redtooth Regent would be sweet, but then I remembered that tracking copies will be too annoying to play.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Mookie

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
10 months ago
Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
The adventure is a bit clunky, but a 4/4 flyer for 4 that generates treasure seems perfectly reasonable.
Wait, why is the Adventure part clunky? Instant pseudo-draw two, you can play them the rest of the game and can nab lands. The only drawback is that you still have to use the correct mana, but hey, that's what Treasure's for.
I'm generally low on drawing cards from my opponents' decks. I expect Decadent Dragon to be great in Standard and Cube, but most decks I play against in EDH are synergy-focused, which means they run a lot of niche cards that are pretty underwhelming without those synergies (and that's before accounting for the possibility that I may not have the mana necessary to cast them).

In comparison, three mana at instant speed can get me Sauron's Ransom, Maestros Charm, or Shadow Prophecy, all of which dig deeper into my own deck, provide selection, and fill the graveyard.

I would like to play Decadent Dragon in my Kess deck, but I'll be hoping to curve T2 mana rock → T3 dragon more often than T3 adventure → T4 dragon, with the adventure primarily acting as a way to get Kess value / a recursive threat in the lategame.

----

Sporegorger_Dragon

Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
but most decks I play against in EDH are synergy-focused, which means they run a lot of niche cards that are pretty underwhelming without those synergies
Oh I see. Yeah it will depend on your local metagame. I was mostly thinking it would be great against guys that run a lot of mana rocks and other colorless artifacts.

Mookie

10 months ago
Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
but most decks I play against in EDH are synergy-focused, which means they run a lot of niche cards that are pretty underwhelming without those synergies
Oh I see. Yeah it will depend on your local metagame. I was mostly thinking it would be great against guys that run a lot of mana rocks and other colorless artifacts.
Ha, I wish. I played Brainstealer Dragon against a 5C sliver deck recently, and it was... underwhelming. I cut Villainous Wealth a while ago after I cast it for for X=20 or so and got zero useful cards out of an enchantress deck.

DirkGently

With decadent dragon, I think you do need to keep in mind that it's functionally a draw 3 for 3 at instant speed - with the third card being the dragon itself. Not saying it's wrong to chuck the dragon down on turn 3 if you've ramped, but I don't think you need to hit 2 good cards for the adventure to be worthwhile. If you hit, say, a land and something not-worthless I think you did fine. Even if you just hit a land I think you're not so bad.

Definitely killing Rowan on sight. Or at least holding up countermagic for the inevitable torment of hailfire.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 10 months ago

Manascape Refractor and Blossoming Tortoise - I know I'm going to put them in the same deck and then try to do something flashy in a way which is not actually discounted by the Tortoise's middle ability

Mookie

folding_music wrote:
10 months ago
Manascape Refractor and Blossoming Tortoise - I know I'm going to put them in the same deck and then try to do something flashy in a way which is not actually discounted by the Tortoise's middle ability
Yeah, Tortoise is weird. I've seen it pointed out that this doesn't have the usual 'can't reduce to less than 1' or 'doesn't apply to mana abilities' clauses, which means you can use it for stuff like Skycloud Expanse... or your creatures if you have Ashaya, Soul of the Wild or a similar effect.

Venedrex

I don't know if Faeries has enough stuff for a meta deck, but it looks like they just got a Thoughtseize. Of course, it might not be very good because typically thoughtsieze is the first card you want to play, (unless you are playing versus a control deck and you want to push a spell through) but if you could jam a 1 cmc faerie... such as Faerie Dreamthief...

Folks, we might have a stew going here, depending on what other faeries show up in this set.

Siphon Ego
Sorcery
Target player reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card. Then exile a card from your hand if you don't control a Faerie.

Now do a lightning bolt version of this but for elementals or something.

DirkGently

@Venedrex I would say it's bad because this isn't 1v1 and trading resources 1:1 before you have the slightest idea what the shape of the game looks like or who the actual threat is, is a bad idea.

For that matter, I think lightning bolt is a solid card, but if it was conditional on having elementals it'd be mid af.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sporegorger_Dragon

:rofl:
10 months ago
I'd never thought I'd see Faerie typal ever again, yet here we are. You can almost smell the fear of the designers emanating from the Faerie signpost.
Yes, the fear of Faerie typal is strong.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 10 months ago

Mildly disappointed by The Goose Mother, but I'm not surprised. I do feel it would be thematically appropriate to build her, but none of the directions I've thought of so far have piqued my interest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”