Unreleased and New Card Discussion

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

fairly resolved to not buying any of these new cards \o/ I like the design of the Backup cards though, am just uh stuck in other mindspace.

(when I do grab cards they're from, like, Visions or before; am building a huge amount of cute 60-card casual decks with a very specific card-slot building concept; having enjoyed casting cards as bad as Adarkar Sentinel lately, current day cardboard is eyescorchingly powerful, and so's EDH, and I care about it less and less lol. am preferring to treat MTG very much as a boxed game that already had enough pieces decades ago. of course there's only one other player of my format vs hundreds of thousands of commander people, but that's ok)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I don't expect to buy much but my group likes to run Planechase pretty frequently so we'll at least strongly consider the new planes.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

These team-up cards are so dumb. One unlikely duo is cool. Dozens of unlikely duos is schlocky and lazy. That key art had me pumped. I thought non-planeswalkers were going to be plane-hopping and teaming up. Like, what would be like if Baral and Borborygmos hung out?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Nah, I'm all for it. Most of them are unique and cleverly reference both creatures.

I'd consider building around several of them.

Easily best part of the set IMO, battles sit down.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
These team-up cards are so dumb. One unlikely duo is cool. Dozens of unlikely duos is schlocky and lazy. That key art had me pumped. I thought non-planeswalkers were going to be plane-hopping and teaming up. Like, what would be like if Baral and Borborygmos hung out?
So much this. I was also expecting team ups between character from different planes. So that promotionala rt with Chandra leading the named characters was %$#%$#%. Djeru and Hazoret teaming up doesn't seem outlandish or wacky at all. Who the %$#% cares about Inga from Inga and Esika ? Some of these team ups are kinda non-interesting lore wise.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Most of them are unique and cleverly reference both creatures..
This, I love how they found cool ways for separate characters abilities to come together in team up, a very fun intersection of Melvin and Vorthos.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

I generally like the team-up cards, but it depends a lot on how familiar I am with the characters / source cards... and because recent sets tend to have so many legends, a lot of them are pretty forgettable. Borborygmos and Fblthp is great because I'm familiar with Fblthp, the Lost and Borborygmos Enraged. Errant and Giada hits less hard because I had to look up Errant, Street Artist (and I couldn't tell you anything about Giada, Font of Hope other than 'is an angel').

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

I'm purely into function here, but some of the team ups are ok. Some of them I just could not care.

I'll definitely be grabbing Drana and Linvala for my Jodah hatebear soup, and a couple others. That's....kind of the only card I'm really sold on from the set. Battles are neat and I definitely want to try some of them out, but there's few decks of mine I think they'll fit well in.

Honestly my biggest bugbear is the reprint equity in the treatment art is kinda %$#% garbage. Outside of monke, and let's be honest the price isn't gonna drop on that one that much. I was hoping for like Captain Sisay and other genuine value.

I also wish they'd gone a bit more all in on backup. It's a cool mechanic and it just feels like they didn't really didn't do it justice.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I feel like backup is generic enough (name and effect) to return often. They love counters! It also feels like an easy combat trick…such that it should be popular in limited?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 1 year ago

This set honestly looks pretty bad mainly because it's a mess. There is so much stuff and all of it looks like bulk rare. They basically dumped the whole toxic mechanic after a single set and gave phyrexians a new ability that probably doesn't see any play. Maybe the most off putting thing for me is the flavor.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

This is embarrassing, but somehow I really dig this set. The precons especially seem very cool (with an oddly low MSRP too!). I'm seriously considering grabbing either the Temur or the Naya deck just to catch some games while I'm out of town for this job. The naya deck seems much more solid overall, but temur artifacts is a damn fine theme for a precon if I do say so myself.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

This set is all over the map. Lots of cool pairings to make interesting commanders, but the nuts and bolts, the meat and taters of the set are just basement-tier. Good for EDH, bad for non-Standard competitive constructed.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
This is embarrassing, but somehow I really dig this set. The precons especially seem very cool (with an oddly low MSRP too!). I'm seriously considering grabbing either the Temur or the Naya deck just to catch some games while I'm out of town for this job. The naya deck seems much more solid overall, but temur artifacts is a damn fine theme for a precon if I do say so myself.
Why is that embarrassing? You're allowed to enjoy things. Personally I can't wait to add Gimbal to my roster of decks.

Some of the alternate arts for Multiverse Legends look absolutely incredible, and I love the frames for the stuff that hasn't had showcase frames yet, especially Ixalan.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

I kinda feel the set tried too much at once but it's an alright set. I'm just kind of amazed that the set about the Magic Cinematic Universe™ banding against The Borg Ultron offered the most for my The Ur-Dragon of all things. You'd think the horrors of war and body horror would be Lulu, Loyal Hollyphant-Criminal Past's kind of thing honestly. All I got for that one is Corrupted Conviction and Deadly Derision.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Just saw the new Thalia, Guardian of Thraben art. Damn they don't miss with GoT. Alongside Lightning Bolt it has got to have the most cool versions out there

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

JFC we haven't even had the release for MoM and we've got leaks for some new mini-set thing?

Insert Shrek yelling at Donkey meme.

I mean it's a leak and not a spoiler but still, it's coming out in 3 weeks so it may as well be a spoiler.
Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
And, also predictably, it's packed to the absolute gills with legends. 48 new legends between MOM and MOC wasn't enough, we've got at least 13 more from aftermath.

On the plus side, it looks like the first printing of Narset that actually looks fun? I guess Narset of the Ancient Way was fine, albeit not very strong. The new one looks pretty sweet tbh, love that it can cast from enemy graveyards and that it's mv restricted to power.

Also new Niv Mizzet seems refreshingly not broken compared to previous versions...I think? I mean he's Lier except with color restrictions and you have to discard so I don't think he can be THAT powerful. Luckily most time magic is mono-blue. In fact I think all of it is monocolor except Stitch in Time which sucks and Chance for Glory which isn't a big concern for obvious reasons.

Surprised and pleased Plargg, Dean of Chaos got another card. Seems pretty fun too. Etali, Primal Storm except you can't high roll or low roll quite as hard, and you don't have to deal with combat (though you also can't abuse haste, boo)
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

What set was MOC again?

This seems fine powerlevel TBH. It's just weird that I don't feel like the cards are telling a story. In set's I feel like they are losely telling one, but at least there is like... a bit of story, Right now I can't see much, if any outside the despark.
I really like the special plane treatments for most planes. I just don't vibe with ixalans.

I'm really excited for the training grounds reprint we were due one of these. I don't know the prices of this product nor the scale, but I hope it cheapens it a bit because I wanted a premium version of it and the Judge Promo was a bit out of my confort zone.

I think there should be about a dozen cards left, including Kenrith's funeral and the new Jolrael Boxtopper.

the new Kiora should be fun in the more casual but not super super casual settings, you'll have massive fish on the table. Some players just want to play big dumb creatures and I think thats neat

I have been looking from a battlecruiser to those LGS pods where people hate removal and people winning deck for a while, I was thinking Shanna, Purifying Blade for a while new Danitha, Danitha, New Benalia's Light might be it vigilance and lifelink are casual allstars. trample just puts it over the top. and I recently have been in a 2 Colors > 3 Colors vibe.

DirkGently

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
What set was MOC again?
March of the machine commander. They tend to just chop off the last letter of the set code and make it a C.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I love Gruul hasty legends that just want to lead my crummy old dashy Viashino cards.

Getting that Samut after Ognis, the Dragon's Lash and Deathleaper, Terror Weapon…someone likes me.

I don't think any of these cards are good in EDH. I just like them because I like haste and turning guys sideways.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Oh hey Sarkhan remembered that he can use blue magic and uses it to be a weird lovechild of The Ur-Dragon and Miirym, Sentinel Wyrm that's not very good...as a commander anyway. Still, I feel somewhat obliged to build him as thanks for the number of games Sarkhan the Mad stole for me.

Oh wow a Narset card that looks fun instead of an enemy to fun.

And Kiora is a rare simic commander that doesn't make me roll my eyes! Also she's now a noble apparently so congrats to her I guess.

Nissa because elf players felt their turns just aren't long enough.

Samut kinda makes me want to build Ball Lightning tribal.

I'm hoping for a desparked Ashiok. They're the only planeswalker I ever objectively liked as a character and I would like to play them as a commander.

DirkGently

The new Callix is probably the most interesting enchantment-focused commander design printed. They couldn't QUITE resist the urge to put the words "whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under you control..." on him, but counters are pretty small-ball compared to cards and the copying ability is potentially quite fun. It's at least a lot better than any other enchantress design...not that that's a very high bar.

Nahiri's resolve looks pretty insane, it's a board-wide blink every turn that's also an anthem and also protects from board wipes. At least it's in RW, that should cut down how much it's played, or make more people play RW...either way is a win I suppose.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

There is something very baffling going on with all planeswalker characters that aren't planeswalkers anymore.

Spark Rupture implies it might be a temporary malfunction, but we'll see.

Some have theorized that this is the Mending Part 2; however, personally I think that this means those characters underwent a fundamental change in their sparks; instead, their spark sometime flares up or goes dormant, as the plot dictates.

So basically, sometimes a character will show up as a planeswalker (spark is active), and sometimes as a creature (spark is dormant and/or damaged).

Somewhat surprised Nashi ended up Sultai; you'd think wbg with "legendary matters" ala Sethris, although it's the logical progression of incorporating Tamiyo's color identity and it's an interesting mechanical representation of attempting to preserve her legacy ie "keep the legend alive", so to speak.

Interesting both as Commander, and for casting a copy of your Commander tax-free while sending the real card back to the command zone.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I wish Jirina, Dauntless General was a cleric. That card is so good with Ravos, Soultender for my cleric tribal deck.

Also, I'm not looking forward to facing a Nashi, Moon's Legacy deck that runs 50 Rat Colonys with Bloodbond March, black tutors to find it, green recursion spells to get it back from the GY, and blue counterspells to protect it.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

Nissa, Resurgent Animist can combo with Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild + Beast Whisperer for infinite mana and draw your deck.
You'd have to make sure these are the only Elf/Elemental you have in the deck. Nissa ability to put these into your hand is super easy with any fetchlands.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Nahiri, Forged in Fury makes me wanna put my voltron deck back together
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”