[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Argothian Enchantress

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by tstorm823 » 4 months ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
4 months ago
If the statement is that blatant, then one must make the choice, do I value Life, or Freedom :smirk: If someone is using obvious threats instead of innocent questions, then the mood of the conversation changes and I typically see dramatically different results.
Is "are you going to attack me with Ulamog" an obvious threat or an innocent question? A yes or no question where the wrong answer, or even no answer, means instant death, I would say qualifies as an obvious threat rather than an innocent question. Honestly, the majority of yes or no questions are not totally innocent: they are loaded questions by nature, pressuring people into binary options designed by the asker rather than the asked. Closed-ended questions always carry implications.

"What are you thinking of doing on your turn?" is an open ended question, which (depending on turn order) may allow the second person opportunity to volunteer information like "I think I'll attack player C" if that seems like information that can help by sharing, without the question implying hostilities. "Are you going to attack me with Ulamog?" carries the assumption that Ulamog is attacking, and both yes and no would amount to declaring hostilities at someone, as "no" naturally implies attacking someone else. That question puts the recipient in a worse position just by being asked, hence why people feel antagonized in those situations. f the goal is to cooperate with someone, that's not a very effective method. And like, what if player C has a Fog, and saves the Ulamog player. Suddenly the attacker is in a bad position of their own making, having declared hostilities against someone with a threat on board.
yeti1069 wrote:
4 months ago
I think you're making this more complex than it needs to be, and discounting simple reassurances. An answer, whether complex or ambiguous is decidedly NOT the same as no answer. An answer can provide some insight into what the other player is thinking, maybe what they're viewing as a threat, or how they're weighing their options. No answer at all provides some information, but less than an ambiguous one would. Also, you can ask for clarification, or extend a question + answer to a conversation, but no answer puts all the onus on the asker to try and push for an answer, which itself is likely to engender some little hostility.
The question itself engendered hostility. If insight into their perspective was the goal, the wrong question was asked. If somebody asks "do you wanna fight me?", the hostility isn't coming from an answer. You wouldn't look at someone answering that question and say "well if you didn't want to fight, you should have just said no, you didn't have to make it hostile" when they try to walk away from the question.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 4 months ago

Friday, December 22nd, 2023; Brokkos, Apex of Forever

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunadain
I like turtles
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

3drinks wrote:
4 months ago

He's a big body with evasion and resiliency. He seems like an obvious candidate for Voltron, but I suspect the requirement to have an additional body to mutate onto makes him a lot easier to keep down then you might initially think.

Idk, I might try to brew him, he pops up every-time I look to see if there are any alternatives to Ebondeath, Dracolich with more colors.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
3drinks wrote:
4 months ago

He's a big body with evasion and resiliency. He seems like an obvious candidate for Voltron, but I suspect the requirement to have an additional body to mutate onto makes him a lot easier to keep down then you might initially think.

Idk, I might try to brew him, he pops up every-time I look to see if there are any alternatives to Ebondeath, Dracolich with more colors.
Manlands + Crucibles. Your Ebondeath thread directly inspired my own Brokkos list. He sucks, but massively cool.

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
4 months ago
3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
Sorry, I lost track this morning after not getting a full night's sleep.
Sleep is a must-play for all decks. I know my decks function significantly worse without it. >_>

Andúril, Narsil Reforged seems... okay? If you're only getting one +1/+1 counter out of it, it seems outclassed by Sword of Truth and Justice. Getting ascend online isn't difficult though, and +2/+2 to your whole team is a pretty hefty boost. There is some tension between equipment (which is usually part of a go-tall strategy) and its go-wide boost, but there are a few go-wide equipment commanders out there. It also seems reasonable if your deck has a +1/+1 counter theme - I could see it being scary in any deck with Hardened Scales, for example.
SoTaJ is two counters on a thing at the floor. This double lords the whole team. On declare attacks and not combat damage, even. This is identical (and thus subpar) to SoTaJ because of no protections, only when the Anduril wielder is the only one on board as even two kher keep tokens equals +4 power. I don't think SoTaJ is actually good at this role, rather it excels at other ancillary counter play such as infect, loyalty, tower, or of the charge variety.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
3drinks wrote:
4 months ago

Manlands + Crucibles. Your Ebondeath thread directly inspired my own Brokkos list. He sucks, but massively cool.
I like the part where it completely avoids commander tax.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 months ago
PrimevalCommander wrote:
4 months ago
If the statement is that blatant, then one must make the choice, do I value Life, or Freedom :smirk: If someone is using obvious threats instead of innocent questions, then the mood of the conversation changes and I typically see dramatically different results.
Is "are you going to attack me with Ulamog" an obvious threat or an innocent question? A yes or no question where the wrong answer, or even no answer, means instant death, I would say qualifies as an obvious threat rather than an innocent question. Honestly, the majority of yes or no questions are not totally innocent: they are loaded questions by nature, pressuring people into binary options designed by the asker rather than the asked. Closed-ended questions always carry implications.

"What are you thinking of doing on your turn?" is an open ended question, which (depending on turn order) may allow the second person opportunity to volunteer information like "I think I'll attack player C" if that seems like information that can help by sharing, without the question implying hostilities. "Are you going to attack me with Ulamog?" carries the assumption that Ulamog is attacking, and both yes and no would amount to declaring hostilities at someone, as "no" naturally implies attacking someone else. That question puts the recipient in a worse position just by being asked, hence why people feel antagonized in those situations. f the goal is to cooperate with someone, that's not a very effective method. And like, what if player C has a Fog, and saves the Ulamog player. Suddenly the attacker is in a bad position of their own making, having declared hostilities against someone with a threat on board.
I can see how just not answering yields some information, and how asking leading questions and judging responses, with or without answer, can feel targeting. It depends on the individuals in that situation, their relationships, and the context of the situation. We don't do that every turn looking for free information to try and min/max every action. We just simply answer "maybe", which is so noncommittal as to be a non answer, and you know to just play the action at face value at that point.

I agree asking "Are you going to attack me with Ulamog" is not innocent, but it is not as aggressive as saying "If you plan on attacking me with Ulamog I will kill you". If we weren't looking for out of game information we wouldn't be asking the question at all. With strangers, a no-answer might give them more information than we would like. Amongst friends a "maybe" will eventually be known as a legitimate no-answer as you use threat assessment normally and take action according to the board state. I guess it depends on how obsessed one gets with the psychology of asking questions and poking for information through non verbal means. I try not to get that serious (most days).

Also nothing is stopping player 3 and 4 from interjecting with "I'll save you if you attack them on your turn!". I've seen and done similar things before. Makes deal making pretty funny when your attempt to gain value through politics backfires as the other players have better offers than yours. Good times. What I don't like is "Who can offer me the best deal to NOT kill them?" I ignore that, and our group doesn't ask those questions because they are pretty pointless. I see this happen in YouTube games and it just seems stupid to facilitate a bidding war so that the clear leader gains extra value over you.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 months ago

Oooh hey, RCotD just became the first thread to tick over a million views. Congrats @3drinks!

Brokkos is okay, but he doesn't really offer enough imo. He's just a big body, so mutating onto something hard to kill makes sense for voltron, but then his recursion ability becomes less relevant. He's hard to kill but not much else.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
I like the part where it completely avoids commander tax.
This isn't something to overlook. From Derevi, Empyrial Tactician to Slogurk, the Overslime to Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger to, yes, Brokkos, Apex of Forever, having near permanent access to an extra card is pretty good. Brokkos is definitely on the lower end of that spectrum, being just a "mere beater," but boy, what a beater.

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
4 months ago
Oooh hey, RCotD just became the first thread to tick over a million views. Congrats @3drinks!

Brokkos is okay, but he doesn't really offer enough imo. He's just a big body, so mutating onto something hard to kill makes sense for voltron, but then his recursion ability becomes less relevant. He's hard to kill but not much else.
Hard to believe this, starting later, reached 1mill views before the Kaalia Primer did on sally. Probably because most decklist chatter is done on Reddit and Moxfield-adjacent sites now. Still, pretty cool accomplishment all the same. Certainly more successful than the Community Build-A-Deck project.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently

3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
Certainly more successful than the Community Build-A-Deck project.
Yes, well, I'm not on that thread driving up engagement :P
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
Sorry.
Don't be. I guess the colourless deck was more auto-pilot than anticipated and it killed the drive. Less out of the box, more plug and play and that matters. Good lesson, I think.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
Sorry.
Don't be. I guess the colourless deck was more auto-pilot than anticipated and it killed the drive. Less out of the box, more plug and play and that matters. Good lesson, I think.
It's offtopic, but I've always been thrown off by the random nature of the commander selection. I wouldn't mind a more curated experience with you choosing like four different commanders and then throwing them up for vote.

3drinks

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
It's offtopic, but I've always been thrown off by the random nature of the commander selection. I wouldn't mind a more curated experience with you choosing like four different commanders and then throwing them up for vote.
Hmm. I could be persuaded to be a bit more picky, sure. I've been using a random number generator paired against all the legal-as-commander options so that no one thinks I'm cherry picking my own vested interests, haaaaa. Currently I only throw back the trash or otherwise unplayable options.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

I wanted to like the Apexes SO MUCH it hurts, much like the rest of Ikoria. Unfortunately I almost immediately didn't care for any of them as well as the general fiddliness of the entire set (%$#% please I don't have time for ability tokens). I still love the showcase arts for these guys and I try to hold out hope that our next visit to Ikoria won't fall on it's face so hard.

3drinks

Happy Festivus, everyone. To celebrate let's start by grabbing the aluminum pole out of the crawlspace! No? Aw man...

Saturday, December 23rd, 2023; Fervent Charge

Well that's a card. But is it worth the ~$7usd it commands? Why has this never been reprinted anyway, you'd think it'd at least have been in the Markov deck. Easier to track than carrying a Yahtzee box to track Cathars' Crusade at least.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 months ago

Thia card was worthless until Isshin, Two Heavens as One showed up. I get why it spiked, +4/+4 on attack and on curve is pretty good, but this price is just asking to be blown out by the slightest reprint.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 4 months ago

Did this even happen in the story? I can't remember Crovax wading into combat. I thought he was running everything from Rath, but I might be wrong.

A reprint probably would not have this art, which is awesome, anyway.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 months ago

Huh, when i saw the name before clicking I thought it would be either RW or mon-R and now i'm wondering why it has
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Hermes_ wrote:
4 months ago
Huh, when i saw the name before clicking I thought it would be either RW or mon-R and now i'm wondering why it has
Murk Dwellers

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
4 months ago
Realistically, probably because apocalypse had an enemy color theme and they wanted a rare for each wedge.

That said, there are a decent number of black creatures that buff on attacks. So at least black isn't too off-color for the effect, even if it would be fine in RW.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

I have never seen this card in my life.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 months ago

Once upon a time this was actually a very serviceable anthem in Mardu, but there weren't many Mardu decks that wanted to go wide with little dudes (which would benefit the most). It got power creeped out by more effective anthems at the same cmc or slightly higher (no reason to run this over Dictate of Heliod most of the time), but Isshin has given it new life because +4/+4 every turn in a deck that wants to always be attacking is pretty lit and that cmc. I'd also keep this in mind if there's ever a Mardu "Low power matters" deck other than Alesha (whose ability wants you to lean into gy's and etbs and leaves little room for low power matters beyond Alesha). Only giving the boost as a trigger on attack lets you make use of the low power mass reanimation effects and sweepers that don't hit low power creatures, and any attack triggers based off of low power critters and things that care about low power hitting the battlefield (like Mentor of the Meek) and still have a reasonable anthem effect to help push them through that doesn't require a mana commitment every turn.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”