I would like a Commander deck suggestion.

FluxCobalt
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by FluxCobalt » 6 months ago

I am getting back into playing MTG. I have been playing the game off and on since the game first came out in 1990s. I'm a casual player and I would buy the pre-constructed decks and modify the a bit and then play. Well it seams they are fading out pre-constructed decks. So I bought a commander deck, (Riveteers Rampage). I am looking for a commander deck the would be balanced to compete against (Riveteers Rampage) 1v1. Of course I will probably make some mods to the decks. So if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the help.

Flux

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 6 months ago

Buying basically any precon should be more-or-less equal in power level, and if they're a little disparate you can just modify them up or down a bit.

That said, commander is really more fun in multiplayer so I would encourage you away from 1v1.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

FluxCobalt

Thanks for the info.. I have played the multi-player a few times and it is fun.

Flux

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 6 months ago

I agree with Dirk although some commander decks are more powerful than others I would in general say that they can be roughly equal. I would say the best thing to do is to look at the commanders on the front and look for one that appeals to you more so than chasing down a specific one. There are cases where some of the decks cost more because of a powerful chase card but in general just look for a deck that the commander appeals to you as you will have more fun with that for now.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 6 months ago

FluxCobalt wrote:
6 months ago
I am getting back into playing MTG. I have been playing the game off and on since the game first came out in 1990s. I'm a casual player and I would buy the pre-constructed decks and modify the a bit and then play. Well it seams they are fading out pre-constructed decks. So I bought a commander deck, (Riveteers Rampage). I am looking for a commander deck the would be balanced to compete against (Riveteers Rampage) 1v1. Of course I will probably make some mods to the decks. So if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the help.

Flux
Given the complexity of the game right now, I'd recommender you start with 2-color or fewer for your restarting experience. They are harder to find these days, but having fewer colors also require less staples.

FluxCobalt

Well I received the Riveteers Rampage deck and I like it. I played the Commander format for the first time a few weeks ago. I found it interesting to only have one copy of each card in the deck as apposed the standard deck. That is why I wanted to get back playing the game. Yes, it seams a bit more complicated than the Standard format and in my opinion that's because of more cards to learn per deck and there are a few more mechanics to learn. I also pre ordered another deck that is coming out this month (The Lost Caverns of Ixalan Commander Deck - Ahoy Mateys). It will be a learning process but I will enjoy the game. Now I will just have to work on how to play these decks and maybe figure out some upgrades to them.

Again, thanks to all for the helpful information.

Flux

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 6 months ago

I came across lately a bargain priced Spirit Squadron deck (I think it was from the Crimson Vow set?) - minimal packaging (ignore the gouged shipping the UFO seller was trying to get on TCGPlayer), the product was ~$25 list price. It's wu and was pretty reasonably constructed I thought, with enough avenue to pursue additions. I'd look there, if I wanted another deck. Alternatively I'm impressed with the quality of the Ixalan commander decks sans pirates which are cool thematically but a bit weak in power and untuned in favour of tribe, but the other three are really solid contenders.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 6 months ago

Precons are a great place to start, but to the OP, your impression that precons are falling out of favor is not accurate. They're churning those things out than they ever have. There are, and will be, plenty to choose from.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

FluxCobalt

RxPhantom wrote:
6 months ago
Precons are a great place to start, but to the OP, your impression that precons are falling out of favor is not accurate. They're churning those things out than they ever have. There are, and will be, plenty to choose from.
I should have clarified this. I was talking about the pre con standard 60 card decks but maybe I didn't search for them enough. I do like the commander format. I have three 3 colored pre constructed commander decks. Now I would like to get two or three 2 colored decks that play well together right out of the box. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks for any help.
Flux

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 6 months ago

FluxCobalt wrote:
6 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
6 months ago
I should have clarified this. I was talking about the pre con standard 60 card decks but maybe I didn't search for them enough. I do like the commander format. I have three 3 colored pre constructed commander decks. Now I would like to get two or three 2 colored decks that play well together right out of the box. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks for any help.
Flux
The old 60 card starter decks have been decommissioned in favour of the commander decks since that's what people play nowadays.

FluxCobalt

Post by FluxCobalt » 5 months ago

I did not want to start another thread so I thought I would start back here. I have 5 Pre Con Decks. Blood Rites, Forces of the Imperium, Mishra's Burnished Banner, Riveteers Rampage and Legends Legacy. My goal is to make 2 hopefully 3 decks out of these 5. I am trying just to use the cards I already have from these decks. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a good on the line deck builder? These decks are for casual play only. Thank you for any ideas.

Flux

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 5 months ago

I'm not sure if I totally understand your goal. There are several great deck building sites, though. The best two, at least that I'm aware of, are Moxfield and Archidekt.

I would recommend figuring out which decks you really like, then build them out from there with singles. Buying only precons to upgrade other precons isn't the best use of your money. Of course, I may not be understanding your goal or methodology. Anyway, single prices across the board are very low.

What kinds of decks are you looking to make? What suits your personal play style? What kind of power level?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 5 months ago

FluxCobalt wrote:
5 months ago
I did not want to start another thread so I thought I would start back here. I have 5 Pre Con Decks. Blood Rites, Forces of the Imperium, Mishra's Burnished Banner, Riveteers Rampage and Legends Legacy. My goal is to make 2 hopefully 3 decks out of these 5. I am trying just to use the cards I already have from these decks. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a good on the line deck builder? These decks are for casual play only. Thank you for any ideas.

Flux
https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/24646 ... ge=English

$20usd shipped. Can't go wrong. Even has a Geist of Saint Traft to go with it.

FluxCobalt

Post by FluxCobalt » 5 months ago

I did not buy the Pre Cons for upgrade purposes. I got them to have different decks to use. But mixing and matching is part of the fun. Back in the 90's when the game came out. there was not a whole lot of singles readily available. So we bought Pre Cons and boosters and mixed then up to make new decks. Old habits die hard. I am just trying see what I decks I can create with what I have.

Thanks 3drinks for the heads up deck.

Flux

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 5 months ago

Streets of New Capenna Commander Deck - Cabaretti Cacophony : I think this is one of the most playable out-of-the-box commander decks per dollar spent. I've played this precon against constructed decks and have done very well. It has a very balanced list and includes a decent bit of draw, which can be lacking in many of these commander decks. Currently $35, which is how much I paid a year ago, nice! Add $15 in singles that this would be a heck of a $50 budget deck that I would put up against decks 10x the cost. The foundation is great and there are scant few duds in the list, which is what drew me to purchase this as my first precon buy in many years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”