[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 8 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
@DirkGently I still think it's basically the same thing at the end of the day. See something unfamiliar? Ask to see the card. There are already like 16k unique cards anyway, so seeing a reprint with new art is functionally no different than seeing a card you've never seen before from 1998 or whatever, except you have the advantage of already knowing the card's text.
I don't think that argues against what I said? Needing to see one card slows the game down very slightly. Needing to remember one unfamiliar card adds slight complexity to tracking board states. Needing to see every single card slows the game down a lot more. Needing to remember an entire board of unfamiliar cards adds a lot more complexity to tracking board states. Printing entire precons that are all new art makes the latter far more likely to happen, and thus slows games down and makes it harder to track board states.

Nobody plays cards from 1998 that I haven't seen before. Except Arden Angel. Never seen that card in my entire life until it was in that secret lair recently. Pretty sure its existence was fabricated to gaslight me.
Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
First of all, you keep bringing up that Eriette of the Charmed Apple can be removed and then your toast, but your an aura tribal deck anyways, your going to be running cards like Kaya's Ghostform and Timely Ward anyways, so you've got some play there.
There's always an answer. If your opponents aren't idiots, they're either sitting on one, or they're not going to just gleefully pulverize each other while leaving you alone. They're going to recognize that you're a problem and find a solution.
Second of all, it's not like you're just playing a bunch of Guard Dutys, don't get me wrong, you probably play a couple of Sentinel's Eyes type cards, but for the most part you play REAL auras that now also slowly kill your opponents and keep their stuff from attacking you.
What do you mean by a "real" aura? If you're putting a big buff onto it, then I think you're setting yourself up to get wrecked by your own cards when Eriette gets removed. Or they'll leave it on defense once you become anything-close-to-a-problem, if they can't remove her.
Finally, and most importantly, you don't have to enchant your opponents stuff. You can just run good auras and enjoy the drain. On Thin Ice, Ossification, etc.
I was thinking about this earlier - if someone made me build her, those are the sorts of auras I'd want to play. Less prone to getting reset by a board wipe than if you loaded auras onto every creature in sight. But at that point her first ability is irrelevant. Her second ability works fine, but is that seriously interesting to people? It sounds extremely boring to me.
Basically, she's a win con and some additional protection (emphasis on additional, you still need to run wipes and spot removal) which is pretty much everything a classic control deck wants in a commander.
But she isn't a wincon on her own, she needs tons of cards to support her. 1) Basically every commander ever printed can be a wincon with a ton of support cards and 2) that is NOT what a control deck wants as a wincon. A control deck wants a wincon that requires very little footprint in the deck so that it can concentrate slots on control pieces (say, someone like my boi Kellan). She's also not very effective protection for all the reasons I've already explained. If auras were strong control cards that were viable even without her maybe it'd be okay, but since they're (nearly) all sorcery speed, they largely aren't. No self-respecting control deck is running ossification without some sort of synergy reason to do so, and that's one of the better cards for that version of the deck, it's largely downhill from there.

She bad.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 8 months ago

Regarding Eriette of the Charmed Apple, I think she's a cool card but other than "building her just because I want to" (the art is rather nice), it's hard to pick her as a commander.

I've been running my Killian, Ink Duelist deck for a while now and its is also a black and white deck heavy on auras. I don't really see where Eriette can really be more effective as the leader. Killian's discount is major, he gains life (albeit in a different way), and if you didn't want to run voltron like I do, you could still run the various goad or Pacifism auras to make it so particular creatures can't hit you and theyd be cheaper.

Even if you wanted to try running some political "aura favors" strategy, Killian probably ends up better since you can more efficiently give out big auras.

Eriette is a better Curse commander but Curses are pretty rough overall (I really tried to make Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor work). And I guess other player auras or "non-creature auras" work better for her as well. Maybe if there is some sort of "roles" engine you can get going with her she'd be better at that as well.

All that said, I have got a copy of Eriette to potentially try in the 99 of my Killian deck. I think she's cool as a support piece but I'm not currently sure about as the main focus.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 8 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
8 months ago
She doesn't goad the creatures, they just can't attack you. If you're the threat they can just not attack. They can even still block you.
Sphere of Safety
Ghostly Prison
Breena, the Demagogue
Vow of Duty
Windborn Muse
Vow of Malice
Parasitic Impetus
Vow of Torment
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
Noble Heritage
Spectral Grasp

The commander doesn't have to be the entire deck plan right? you need to get the deck to a point it works even if it isn't there all the time. She is a pretty cool pillowfort commander in Orzhov imho

DirkGently

duducrash wrote:
8 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
8 months ago
She doesn't goad the creatures, they just can't attack you. If you're the threat they can just not attack. They can even still block you.
Sphere of Safety
Ghostly Prison
Breena, the Demagogue
Vow of Duty
Windborn Muse
Vow of Malice
Parasitic Impetus
Vow of Torment
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
Noble Heritage
Spectral Grasp

The commander doesn't have to be the entire deck plan right? you need to get the deck to a point it works even if it isn't there all the time. She is a pretty cool pillowfort commander in Orzhov imho
I don't understand why you chose to use that quote from me - except for the impetus (a card which doesn't need Eriette to work) none of these cards force the creatures to attack, and except for grasp none of them prevent blocking. You aren't exactly countering my point.

You can make a orzhov pillowfort deck if you want, but idk why you'd want to play Eriette as the commander. Most of the pieces have zero or little synergy with her, and she wants you to play a bunch of auras that aren't otherwise good in the deck, so there's not much overlap. If you want your commander to be another tool to prevent you getting attacked, you could just run Teysa in the CZ and then you wouldn't have to commit to a bunch of counterproductive auras.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Jon called me to ask if "enchant creature"s were auras, and said he had just cracked a box of eldraine and was building a new deck…
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

She doesnt goad creatures, but you dont need to in order for a deck to work, there are several in 99 cards that synergistically work with the idea, the drain seems pretty synergistic with overall pillowfort goals.

DirkGently

duducrash wrote:
8 months ago
She doesnt goad creatures, but you dont need to in order for a deck to work, there are several in 99 cards that synergistically work with the idea, the drain seems pretty synergistic with overall pillowfort goals.
"Several cards" being synergistic doesn't really speak to me.

I don't really see life drain being much more synergistic than most other wincons for pillow fort. You could build a fort and then find a combo, or fly over the top, or Voltron your commander - whatever you want really. Lifegain maybe gives you slightly more layers of protection but it sounds extremely mid to me.

I don't really see her solving the sorts of problems a pillowfort deck tends to have tbh. Practically any other enchantress commander seems more synergistic imo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 8 months ago

Out of curiosity, where do you see the rankings for the population of all the new comments?

Or are you acting through the entire list to find them?
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
Out of curiosity, where do you see the rankings for the population of all the new comments?

Or are you acting through the entire list to find them?
Assuming you meant commanders, here is the leaderboard: https://edhrec.com/sets/woe

You can go to "sets" along the top bar to look how it shook out for all previous sets. Zirilan of the Claw #1 mirage, as it should be.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 8 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
8 months ago
Jon called me to ask if "enchant creature"s were auras, and said he had just cracked a box of eldraine and was building a new deck…
Be sure to give him a nice little learning experience.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
Played against his new deck tonight and whew was it bad. Why is he running so much equipment? What is Basilisk Collar doing for you? Don't think the attack prevention on her ever really mattered - not that it would be fair to criticize her based on how Jon uses her.

Kellan kicked ass tonight. Lost to some prick that wiped lands multiple times though. It's probably not quite at THAT level.

I'm over half way through all the Pixar movies. I'll put up my complete tier list when I'm done. Spoiler alert: The Good Dinosaur is in the lowest tier so far (but I haven't watched the Cars movies yet).
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 8 months ago

I'm just happy I can finally build faeries and not have it be completely trolling.

duducrash
Still Learning

A LGS near me does a "bring your friend to learn mtg" day every week and a big one every month. And they decided to add to that a begginer friendly precom only EDH night with somo promos as support. Everyone gets promos, its not top heavy so there isn't like much competitive drive in that sense.

I borrowed a precon to play this league on wednesday and it was pretty fun, It was full of new players not knowing how the game works and annedoctally I could see the game is growing big time. One person was playing a Jeskai Humans LOTR deck and was so excited whenever people mentioned any card that could be good on his deck it was funny, he had a notes app with cards to buy that had at least 30 cards in it.

Also, W40k decks are so strong compared to other precons it was weird. I played in pods with the mono black artifacts deck and the demons deck. they both were super good in that enviroment

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 8 months ago

How terrible. My condolences to his family and the community. Also F cancer.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 8 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
8 months ago
Sheldon passed away.
Hell no. Cancer really is a bish

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 8 months ago

Oh no.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 8 months ago

%$#% cancer
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 8 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
8 months ago
Sheldon passed away.
Really sad - I was surprised to feel as sad as I am about a dude I've never met and who I generally didn't find super engaging in video content. I did love his writing though, and he's the grandfather of Magic's best format. Condolences to his family.
DirkGently wrote:
8 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
I'm over half way through all the Pixar movies. I'll put up my complete tier list when I'm done. Spoiler alert: The Good Dinosaur is in the lowest tier so far (but I haven't watched the Cars movies yet).
The Good Dinosaur is the most fascinatingly bad movie. It's like - who is this movie for? What is this worldbuilding? What are these art choices with these super cartoony dinosaurs against these breathtakingly realistic looking environments? The idea of THE DirkGently watching the Cars movies, especially Cars 2, greatly entertains me so I can't wit to see your thoughts.

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 8 months ago

I hope his family is doing okay, it's a very rough thing to go through.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 8 months ago

Sheldon wasn't just the EDH OG, he was THE level 5 judge of judges among other things, and he clarified rules sometimes years ahead of WotC. He was also a veteran, patriot, husband, friend, and apparently all around decent guy.

If only he was a politician. Then he'd have lived to be 100.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

DirkGently

Really sad about Sheldon. He's certainly had a huge impact on a lot of people. We can only aspire to do that much good.
Hawk wrote:
8 months ago
The Good Dinosaur is the most fascinatingly bad movie. It's like - who is this movie for? What is this worldbuilding? What are these art choices with these super cartoony dinosaurs against these breathtakingly realistic looking environments? The idea of THE DirkGently watching the Cars movies, especially Cars 2, greatly entertains me so I can't wit to see your thoughts.
Story: F
Characters: F
Character animation: F
Backgrounds: A+

It's incredibly bland with no surprises at all. The ending was honestly comical. They set up the "making your mark" theme so obviously, and then bam, he puts his mark down and then the movie is over. I don't even get why that would be his "mark"; none of his family saw anything he did, and nothing he did helped them either. Seemed like it needed a scene where, having become brave over his adventure, he saves his family from the storm, and then THAT would be his mark.

Also I think every scene involved him injuring himself, invariably with a gross meat-slappy sound effect. :sick:
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 8 months ago

I knew it was coming, you don't get liver cancer with mets without having a number on your head. But by god did he give it a damn good fight. No one could say he didn't give it his all.

My memories of Sheldon are few and fleeting, and pretty much limited to what little interaction I had with him there. Mostly in the edh/cedh schism thread a few years back. As always, he acquitted himself well, with tact and diplomacy. Every time I've seen him on any sort of video or stream he's been a kind, clever and giving man. It feels like a big loss for our community, and someone who'll leave a big hole in his respective communities with his absence.

Rest in power Sheldon, Our thoughts go out to Gretchen, your family, cats and friends.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 8 months ago

so, we introduced someone new to magic last night,he played a game of commander. He managed to take out one player using my 97 forest Omnath, Locus of Mana deck. It was via damage redirection but still.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 8 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
8 months ago
so, we introduced someone new to magic last night,he played a game of commander. He managed to take out one player using my 97 forest Omnath, Locus of Mana deck. It was via damage redirection but still.
I have two questions:

1. What are the other two cards?
2. Is this deck even remotely fun to pilot?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”