Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 9 months ago

Venedrex wrote:
9 months ago
So, Wotc just printed a 2 mana rock in Standard.

Did not see that coming. Of course, it is legendary, so you can't have a bunch out at a time, but, uh yeah I really was not expecting wotc to ever print another 2 mana rock.

The Irencrag
Slam dunk in Ebondeath, Dracolich!

It's not going to revolutionize the deck or anything, but the deck runs Fractured Powerstone for Pete's sake. A 2 mana rock with an actually relavent upside? yes please!
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 9 months ago

More stuff!
  • Throne of Eldraine looks like a strong option for monocolor decks. Four mana is a lot for a five-mana rock, and tapping to draw two cards is also quite nice.
  • Brenard, Ginger Sculptor is a reasonable value commander. Exiling is a little awkward, but double dipping on value creatures is always fun.
  • Korvold, Gleeful Glutton looks a bit overcosted, but cost reduction means he can come down a bit earlier. After that, you have a strong beater / draw engine. At the very least, seems like a fun build-around for delirium decks.
  • The new court cycle (Court of Ardenvale and friends) looks quite nice. I don't think they're super strong in terms of power level, but they look fun to play with. I'll note that Court of Garenbrig is a three mana monarch enabler, which may have Legacy implications.
  • The Irencrag looks pretty meh, but the floor for an untapped two mana rock is pretty high.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Mookie wrote:
9 months ago
The Irencrag looks pretty meh, but the floor for an untapped two mana rock is pretty high.
As I said, it's not going to revolutionize any decks, but it is one of the better two mana rocks. It's behind Mind Stone, and, at least for multicolored decks, Fellwar Stone and Arcane Signet, but it's a heck of a lot better than Fractured Powerstone.

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 9 months ago

Mookie wrote:
9 months ago
Brenard, Ginger Sculptor is a reasonable value commander. Exiling is a little awkward, but double dipping on value creatures is always fun.
Brenard, Ginger Sculptor is a card that has most excited me (from an EDH) standpoint. He seems like a great Golem tribal commander. Especially since most of the best Golem cards aren't Golem cards, but the splicers. Add in a little bit of food synergy and healthy dose of populate (and maybe some token doubling effects) and you have yourself a fun time.

As for Korvold, Gleeful Glutton... Korvold, Fae-Cursed King was my first EDH love after Etali, Primal Storm. I just wish he wasn't so overtuned that he made all of the games the same. Gleeful Glutton looks like a more fixed version of the original. And he looks like he could be a decent fit for my Jund Treasure deck that I've been brewing off and on for years now. On the other hand, I am sure someone is going to find a way to consistently play him on turn 4, pump his power, and draw a new hand of cards. On the bright side, at least he doesn't combo as well with Giant Growth as Yargle and Multani.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 9 months ago

Reading The Irencrag was such an emotional journey... it sounded better and better and better until you read the last line and then it's just... meh.

loses all other abilities... why?! :cry: It could have been such a perfect rock for Voltron Equipment decks.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Avacyn Believer wrote:
9 months ago
Reading The Irencrag was such an emotional journey... it sounded better and better and better until you read the last line and then it's just... meh.

loses all other abilities... why?! :cry: It could have been such a perfect rock for Voltron Equipment decks.
I think you made the same mistake I did in my first reading, The Irencrag loses all abilities, (so you can't tap it for mana anymore) not the equipped creature.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 9 months ago

@Dunadain lmao I read it correctly the first time, then @Avacyn Believer made me read it incorrectly the second time :rofl:
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 9 months ago

Why are people misreading The Irencrag the artifact doesn't lose the abilties the equipped creature does

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 9 months ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
9 months ago
Why are people misreading The Irencrag the artifact doesn't lose the abilties the equipped creature does
Emphasized: 'If you do, it gains equip {3} and "Equipped creature gets +3/+3" and loses all other abilities.'

If the ability affected the equipped creature, it would be 'If you do, it gains equip {3} and "Equipped creature gets +3/+3 and loses all other abilities".'

The position of the punctuation is pretty relevant here. As the joke goes, contrast 'Let's eat, grandma!' and 'Let's eat grandma!'

Dunadain
I like turtles

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
9 months ago
Look where the quotation marks end.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 9 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
9 months ago
@Dunadain lmao I read it correctly the first time, then @Avacyn Believer made me read it incorrectly the second time :rofl:
Unfortunately not the first time people who believe in Avacyn led people down the wrong path. Sadly, we cant blame Emrakul this time.

Both of today's rocks are pretty sweet

Dunadain
I like turtles

duducrash wrote:
9 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
9 months ago
Unfortunately not the first time people who believe in Avacyn led people down the wrong path. Sadly, we cant blame Emrakul this time.

Talk about an inside joke.

I chuckled when I read this and my wife asked me what I was laughing at.

I had to explain The Irencrag, how people are misreading it, Emrakul, AND Avacyn, for one joke.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

duducrash wrote:
9 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
9 months ago

ouch :rofl: but yeah my bad, I can only blame it on reading it late at night after a long day, and that second quotation mark is easy to miss :rofl:

Turns out this rock will go into my Voltron Equipment decks after all! :party:
Dunadain wrote:
9 months ago
I had to explain The Irencrag, how people are misreading it, Emrakul, AND Avacyn, for one joke.
You are welcome :P

duducrash
Still Learning

Dunadain wrote:
9 months ago
and I bet that after all that, she didn't even laugh

Edit to avoid double posting.

The enchantments deck looks better than the premium commander masters enchantment deck. Heliod land is great, some great reprints, really great. and the new cards seem great. Eldrazi Conscription will be a popular addition, hope it doesnt super spike. minot nitpick it would be All That Glitters would be a nice include, even the double tap after masters. even above Ethereal Armor its somewhat popular with the new pauper legality
Last edited by duducrash 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Dunadain
I like turtles

duducrash wrote:
9 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
9 months ago
and I bet that after all that, she didn't even laugh
I mean, she wasn't laughing at the joke...

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 9 months ago

No one:

Me: Way too excited to use Songbirds Blessing in Queen Marchesa to puke out more curses.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 9 months ago

That person who really loves Pillarfield Ox finally got their card printed. Good for them.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

heridfel

Post by heridfel » 9 months ago

Throne of Eldraine looks really appealing. Is it expensive? Moderately so. But it pays commander tax up to twice, is a significant mana ramp, and also acts as card draw to refill your hand after you use it it to cast all your spells.

Green players can also ramp into it, which makes it even more appealing to me. I don't own a The Great Henge which potentially fills a similar role.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Serenade wrote:
9 months ago
No one:

Me: Way too excited to use Songbirds Blessing in Queen Marchesa to puke out more curses.
I like it, I think this set might be what makes me rebuild Sythis, Harvest's Hand back to Sigarda, Host of Herons Enchantress Voltron :grin:

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 9 months ago

starting to think that an Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty edh deck full of all the high-cost Adventures we're getting would be a lot of fun... between WOE and Baldur's Gate there's amassing a silly suite of control spells stapled to 6 CMC walls of beef

duducrash
Still Learning

Is it over with the last cards being spoiled tomorrow on the dump? This spoiler season was so weird and unhyped

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

duducrash wrote:
9 months ago
Is it over with the last cards being spoiled tomorrow on the dump? This spoiler season was so weird and unhyped
How can you hype something that never ends? :?

duducrash
Still Learning

Avacyn Believer wrote:
9 months ago
duducrash wrote:
9 months ago
How can you hype something that never ends? :?
A few days ago I saw a brian kibler tweet about the importance of a healthy standard for mtg design and mtg business. and It makes total sense notal. This is the first flux of new cards since march of the machines to both standard and pioneer. and yet its no big deal because we don't care that much about that product. But we didnt care much about cmdr masters either. They hit the jackpot with LOTR, but i'm lowkey worried abotu how they managed players interest in regular products

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

duducrash wrote:
9 months ago
A few days ago I saw a brian kibler tweet about the importance of a healthy standard for mtg design and mtg business. and It makes total sense notal. This is the first flux of new cards since march of the machines to both standard and pioneer. and yet its no big deal because we don't care that much about that product. But we didnt care much about cmdr masters either. They hit the jackpot with LOTR, but i'm lowkey worried abotu how they managed players interest in regular products
I'd make a case that LotR was an easy win for them, the celebrity marketing and One Ring lottery aside, LotR has a massive fanbase and it was the first Universes Beyond set, so I don't see how it could have failed. 40k Commander decks showed them how popular these kind of sets can be.

The regular product, not to sound like a broken record, I don't see how anyone can get hyped for it, maybe only if it is a plane that you love. Couple of years ago you had time to enjoy the spoilers and then play with the cards in draft and other formats for couple of months before new spoilers started, but now? Even if I got hyped for cards in Wilds of Eldraine, before I can even buy the product the spoilers for the next set will start, trying to get me hyped for that one. There is a reason why even music albums have highs and lows, you need a break between hypes :rofl:

I haven't played Standard since 2017 so can't comment on that, but as far as Commander Masters, I think people lost interest because of the stupid high pricing, and sub-par Commander Decks (for the price).

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 9 months ago

Honestly, I don't know where I would go to even play standard around me. It would probably be at least a thirty minute drive (probably more on a Friday night). The places around me are commander, draft, and pioneer for FNM.

I don't even play standard on Arena outside of a game or two just to see how the format is doing. And thanks to drafting I have most of the cards and all the wildcards I could need. It just isn't that interesting of a format right now. On the other hand, its still a lot better than Pioneer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”