Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Avacyn Believer » 10 months ago

Looking at the Doctor Who cards, I am now wondering why Wizards had to make their own version of LotR characters but used TV appearance of all the Dr Who characters.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 10 months ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
10 months ago
Looking at the Doctor Who cards, I am now wondering why Wizards had to make their own version of LotR characters but used TV appearance of all the Dr Who characters.
I believe it was stated that this was because of their license, which only covered the LotR books (and not the movies). So they could include book-only characters like Tom Bombadil, but not anything movie-specific. Doctor Who is primarily a TV show, so they presumably were able to license the likenesses of the actors.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 10 months ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
10 months ago
What else would they use?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 10 months ago

A lot of Viggo smoldering
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 10 months ago

Avacyn Believer wrote:
10 months ago
Dr. Who is first and foremost a TV show, LotR is first and foremost a series of novels.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 10 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
duducrash wrote:
10 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago

that sound you heard was the cry of people holding to Doubling Season for it's money value
Its a double dip, its also in commander masters, but douboing season holds value no matter what
a couple of the ugys in my group are already planning on selling their copies
Im no mastermind but its a bad idea. Reprint will bring it down a little but reprint at mythic on premium products will not impact price points unless it's something that has no reprints in a big while, like the P3K cards. They will sell on the low. webhave seen several doubling seasons in thr past few years.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 10 months ago

Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
I believe it was stated that this was because of their license, which only covered the LotR books (and not the movies). So they could include book-only characters like Tom Bombadil, but not anything movie-specific. Doctor Who is primarily a TV show, so they presumably were able to license the likenesses of the actors.
That would made sense, just haven't heard anyone mention it in all the set reviews on YouTube. Thanks!
RxPhantom wrote:
10 months ago
What else would they use?
Their own versions like with LotR.
BeneTleilax wrote:
10 months ago
Dr. Who is first and foremost a TV show, LotR is first and foremost a series of novels.
I'd be curious if there is a statistic on that, but definitely out of topic for unreleased cards :rofl:

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 10 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
10 months ago
A goose clue appears:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
that sound you heard was the cry of people holding to Doubling Season for it's money value
Mother Goose, like Grimm, feeds on children's tears.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 10 months ago

Good news folks.

We are going back to Lorwyn.

Also, Tarkir, Wild West Plane, Space Plane, Animal Plane, Modern Horizons 3.

Not to mention Murder Mystery Plane, Horror Plane, and more.

So, now people on Blogatog can start asking when are we going back to Mercadia..? The cycle continues :)
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 10 months ago

Lets go!! I love Tarkir! This moment if for me 😭

Assassins creed IP is all over the place, wonder how they would approach its UB.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 10 months ago

To follow up on @Venedrex post, the next 2.5 years of magic are;

Last half of 2023

Wilds of Eldraine - Return to Eldraine with bigger focus on fairy tale theme

Last Caverns of Ixalan- Return to Ixalan but with it as a backdrop for "Underground world"

Murders at Karlov Manor- Return to Ravnica but with it as a backdrop for a "Whodunnit world"

Outlaws of Thunder Junction- A western themed set mixed with a "magics villians" set

Bloomburrow- A "Funny Animal" trope (see Redwall) themed world with no humanoid beings and all animals are to scope

Duskmourn- A new Horror plane thats much more modern horror (with 70's/80's horror period being mentioned) with the whole plane set in a mansion.

2025 (No real names just code names)

Tennis- A death race themed set made possible by the omenpaths. Will be set on three planes, two of which have been featured in an a set and one of which is new

Ultimate- A return to Tarkir

Volleyball- Top down Space Opera fantasy set

Wrestling- A return to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor

First half of 2026

Yachting- A return to Strixhaven

Ziplining- The War of the Spark or March of the Machine of this story arc
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 10 months ago

Murder Mystery set? Eh.

Murder mystery set in Teysa's mansion? Now you have my attention. O_O

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

Here's the full picture so that @DirkGently can get his anger medication stock piled

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 10 months ago

@Hermes_ while I'm obviously not happy about more UB, I'd be a fool to think it wasn't going to happen, and as far as IPs I don't find fallout of asscreed particularly galling. I'll reserve my anger until I see what we actually get from them.

Remastered sets never interest me (though at least don't cost me any money, and probably save me money since I probably won't be drafting them), and more modern horizons is a shrug, but the other 4 sets look kinda rad? I like seeing unique new planes, and putting a new spin on existing ones rather than just "more of the same". Bloomburrow in particular looks awesome. I've actually been working on a short story set in a universe where humans are 1 foot tall and coming into conflict with kaiju-esque wolves and bears and such while riding around on rabbits, funny enough - sort of a Witcher meets the Borrowers. Take the picture for Bloomburrow, put the rabbit on all fours and add a hired hunter riding it and it's pretty much exactly my story. I was a big Redwall fan as a kid, obviously.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

Murder at Karlov etc sounds like a great place to reintroduce a Conspiracy type set. I doubt, but a fella can dream.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 10 months ago

I actually really like The Foretold Soldier. I'm not some big Whovian or anything, but the best episodes of Dr Who IMO are the scary ones. "The Mummy on the Orient Express" was a pretty good one all things considered and they hit the mechanical flavor square on the head for this character. It's not broken or strategy defining, in fact it's just a dumb beater with a weird drawback, but it is very cool.

I hope the Weeping Angels get a card too, they were easily the most terrifying thing ever on that show.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 10 months ago

strapping in approvingly for Bloomburrow while giggling at the idea of an Assassin's Creed expansion/edh precon/whatever since the back story from that game series is just all of history and mythology mashed up in a random order. looking forward to cards depicting da vinci, caesar, several popes etc

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 10 months ago

Didn't expect Final Fantasy to get a full set, but here we are.

Anybody who didn't like the the profusion of legendaries in the LotR set is going to hate the FF one.

Going by main character alone, we already have exactly 16 legendaries.

Add to that 16 villains.

Then each hero has several party members, so let's say an average of 5 per game.

Then all the beloved NPCs and iconic secret bosses.

This set could easily out-legendary any other. EDIT: Except for Marvel.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 10 months ago

I really don't care for the profusion of UB stuff, especially those IPs that feel our of flavor for MTG. I love Final Fantasy, but I don't need FF: MTG.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Still interesting to see what Wizards/Square-Enix decides to highlight; practically every hero is a weapon-wielding warrior of some sort, so I wonder how they will differentiate?

Zidane supporting Rogue-typal with saboteur effects, I suppose.

I wonder though if they'll take it in unexpected direction. Will they highlight Squall's addiction to card games? Cloud obsession for Chocobo breeding? Noctis' dislike of vegetables? Tidus' ability to hold his breath for really, really long?
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Will Tidus be an Illusion?

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 10 months ago

I need 48 different treatments of Fran where she is wrinkling her gnose in a slightly different way each time

Sporegorger_Dragon

I need a Bahamut Dragon creature so that we can have two completely different Bahamut dragons from two different franchises in a single deck.

Bahamut, meet the Bahamut they blatantly copied was inspired by you.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

you seem to all be forgetting Tifa Lockheart....so many poses....so many possibilities all with the same outfit

EDIT: btw with Ravnica...SHOCKLANDS!!!
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 10 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
you seem to all be forgetting Tifa Lockheart....so many poses....so many possibilities all with the same outfit

EDIT: btw with Ravnica...SHOCKLANDS!!!
Calm yourself, Iago.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 10 months ago

Give me Kefka!

Looking forward to the new non-basic lands in Fallout and Assassin's Creed so i can put real world locations like Washington, DC and Venice into my decks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”