Unreleased and New Card Discussion

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I was really hoping that the new Jor Kadeen would be another auto-include in General Ferrous Rokiric. But of course, we have yet another Boros equipment commander. Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer really slaps in that deck, too. Too bad.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

there has to be a way of letting WotC know that we've built an equipment deck already

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

I'm loving these re-skins! I'm thinking Universes Beyond wouldn't have had such a negative reaction if this had been implemented from the start.

Transformers might be set on Esper-Alara or Kaladesh, Warhammer might be anywhere. Grixis-Alara, or maybe even Innistrad again. Although the Tyrannid type might be a bit tricky.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

At this point I'm convinced that the majority of Boros legends are AI generated.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

it's very over done. I wish it was just Bruenor, I think he's the most fun and explosive, doesn't actually fetch/recycle the eq and has the decency to cost 4

recent Boros guys-in-terms-of-creative-abilities power rankings in my eyes:
5. Zabaz, the Glimmerwasp
4. Feather, the Redeemed
3. Quintorius, Field Historian
2. Firesong and Sunspeaker
1. Queen Kayla bin-Kroog by a mile

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
At this point I'm convinced that the majority of Boros legends are AI generated.
pre-2020,
"ChatMTG, make a %$#% piece of %$#% from %$#% that might be 5th picked in draft"

Post-2020:
"ChatMTG, make a powerful but boring card that no one wants to play more than once and can only be built one way"

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
I'm loving these re-skins! I'm thinking Universes Beyond wouldn't have had such a negative reaction if this had been implemented from the start.

Transformers might be set on Esper-Alara or Kaladesh, Warhammer might be anywhere. Grixis-Alara, or maybe even Innistrad again. Although the Tyrannid type might be a bit tricky.
Someone correct me if in wrong but I saw somewhere Transformers wont get reskin

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Considering the effort I'm going to by altering mine, I almost hope they don't get the UW treatment.

I think they should. But I kinda hope they don't.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

scary new release stuff don't open if you don't like unofficial things.
Show
Hide

Jace gets compleated? LOL it's the gift the Jace haters have been wanting for... *checks notes* however many years Jace has existed. Personally I was always pretty ambivalent to him as a character, but you can't deny the Ixalan arc was decent. Oh well, so much for the mind mage. Also this slightly increases the chances that Wotc goes "Oops never mind we can reverse compleation haha lol" Which I really, really, hope they don't do. Well at least he can still be friends with Vraska.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I believe WotC has said that some of the "compleated Planeswalkers" are what-ifs / variants / versions from an alternate timeline / non-canonical / not actually what happens to them.

Venedrex

SPOILER
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
I believe WotC has said that some of the "compleated Planeswalkers" are what-ifs / variants / versions from an alternate timeline / non-canonical / not actually what happens to them.

Ah, well that's good news I guess, depending on one's point of view.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago

So far they only promise to do re-skins of universe beyond secret lair with mechanically unique cards due to Secret lairs limited drop making them harder to get and why they gonna reprint them in the list for a few sets.

They can make a universe within version of any universe beyond card, just up to them if/when they want to reprint it.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
scary new release stuff don't open if you don't like unofficial things.
Show
Hide

Jace gets compleated? LOL it's the gift the Jace haters have been wanting for... *checks notes* however many years Jace has existed. Personally I was always pretty ambivalent to him as a character, but you can't deny the Ixalan arc was decent. Oh well, so much for the mind mage. Also this slightly increases the chances that Wotc goes "Oops never mind we can reverse compleation haha lol" Which I really, really, hope they don't do. Well at least he can still be friends with Vraska.
I like how the compleated version of Nahri is just making her arms into swords
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Karumonix, the Rat King 1BB

Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Rat

Toxic 1 (Players dealt combat damage by this creature will get a poison counter)

Other Rats you control have toxic 1.

When Karumonix enters the battlefield, look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal any number of rat cards from among them and put the revealed cards into your hand. Put the rest in the bottom of your library in a random order.

3/3

I need one for my rat deck

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 year ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
1 year ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
One problem with that claim. That's not jace's what if art. (Same goes for vraska and nissa )

Hermes_

I guess something happened because sheldon said

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

I think has to do with this article

The card is good, but i don't see why would it be banned. Bloody Dockside Extortionist is still around.

Hermes_

RedCheese wrote:
1 year ago
I think has to do with this article

The card is good, but i don't see why would it be banned. Bloody Dockside Extortionist is still around.
yeah, the uproar reminds me of the wheels talk, also best take on reddit
I love how people want the RC to actually step up and be transparent about their thought process. They want the RC to discuss potentially banning cards that could be seen as problematic. However, the subs lose their minds when one of them even mentions potentially banning a card for a popular character from an upcoming set.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

why would Elesh even be considered for banning? I read the article and I really don't get it. It's good, sure, but it's not like going to stomp the table.
I get that 5 mana is pretty good compared to Jin-Gitaxias, Progress Tyrant at 7, but he makes it sound like people won't be able to play magic when it's in play. It's not like Leovold mindtwisting people proactively.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

maeos

Post by maeos » 1 year ago

we already have cards that do the same thing in the format for cheaper cmc. having it in the command zone might be the only arguement for the ban. however, with elesh MoM being mono white, its gonna be slow and is easily get outpaced by decks that dont rely on etb. I look forward to all the people playing their elesh Mom decks saying that they are trying to prove that its too strong and then dying to my UW lavinia pool or my UR locust god deck.

also i think that one of the reasons why people are whining so much is cause game knights just had an episode where the elesh Mom deck won. they were all playing battle cruisers the deck and there was no control (blue praetor wasnt played, if it was im sure they would have locked down the board). The Sheoldred player had the 5head play of howling mine which fed the elesh cards out the wazoo and never got off the ground enough to keep anyone in check.

Venedrex

You know the joke, I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed? I mean, we have a cedh content creator harping on drannith magistrate probably because as usual in the cedh game videos I've watched, the blue players spend the entire game burning all their countermagic in epic stack wars only to exhaust all their resources and watch as the non-blue player sneaks the win by dropping their stax pieces or wincons once the shields are down. I mean, of all the people who should know power levels lol.

I respect cedh players in general, even though it's not my cup of tea, but I think Ryan is wayyyy off base here.

Then we have the head honcho of the format complaining that mono-white has gotten a card of the same power level that every other color has gotten fifteen times over, in the form of dockside, underworld breach, thassa's oracle, force of negation.. shall I go on. All far more powerful and unfun at every level. Unfun game states? Tell that to my most recent commander game, where as a special treat I got to watch the Riku goodstuff.deck use Dockside to help cast Craterhoof. Thank goodness they weren't turning off my etbs though.

The problem is the content creators need new controversy to fuel their egos and/or articles, so when controversy doesn't exist they have to artificially manufacture it by starting ban conversations about cards that have no business being banned. Look, don't get me wrong, I have tremendous respect for Sheldon Menery, with all he has done for the format and I think he seems like a really swell guy.

That being said, with all due respect, I really would prefer the leader of the RC to have a bit more knowledge and expertise when it comes to evaluating the power level of cards. No one is perfect, we all misjudge or misevaluate, but I'd prefer that the guy who actually has the power to ban cards have a slightly better track record than what we've seen so far when it comes to judging cards, and at the very least, wait till the cards are printed rather than straight up trying to advise Wotc not to make them. Half the time, the doom and gloom never materializes, so why jump the gun before the card even sees play.

I think Jim from the Spike feeders is the one I respect the most in this whole situation. He gave a well-thought out explanation and reasoning, and pretty much helped shut down the drannith bannith talk. But, here we are with Sheldon and an article. It's not really that big of deal in the grand scheme, it just feels so unnecessary to have all this "discourse" about things that HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET. Like folks, I'm not the biggest Wotc fan, but we're arguing about banning cards that HAVENT COME OUT YET. Maybe we should play the cards before we talk about banning them... Are we really this bored?

Even the "lets ban sol ring folks" are on my side, which means this has gotten ridiculous :rofl:

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines looks less bannable to me then Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite lol.

Like what's the problem here?
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines looks less bannable to me then Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite lol.

Like what's the problem here?
Ehlder Tragon Blahlander doesn't exist without everyone spamming etbs I guess? :P

I once had someone shuffle up after two turns under a Hushbringer.

maeos

Post by maeos » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
I once had someone shuffle up after two turns under a Hushbringer.
people forget that white is the "fair" colour and is trying to get everyone to play battle cruiser magic. i was playing gw hatebears and played hushwing gryff into brago, muldrotha, and sythis. i died 2 turns later cause everyone remembered to turn their creatures sideways instead of keeping them in portrait mode.
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
but I think Ryan is wayyyy off base here.
who is Ryan?

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Hushbringer , Drannith Magistrate , Thalia, Guardian of Thraben ,Collector Ouphe are all super healthy cards that get hated on, but if you cant win trough them you probably shouldnt win …

Also, its a bit weird for Sheldon to say they wait on the card to have an effect when they day 0 murdered my boy Lutri, the Spellchaser .

Beyond that, I respect the RC but I hope to god they never have any input on standard cards. It feels weird and wrong to me to have Sheldon asking not to print a standard card. Imho of course

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”