[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Jetfire, Ingenious Scientist

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
3 years ago
Hey, Primal Order exists. Doing 8 or more damage every turn because yall put too many nonbasics in your decks is something.
Primal Order is sofaking legit.

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 3 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
3 years ago
Hey, Primal Order exists. Doing 8 or more damage every turn because yall put too many nonbasics in your decks is something.
Yep, missed that one

3drinks

Sunday, April 4th, 2021; Squee's Embrace

The_Hittite

Post by The_Hittite » 3 years ago

There are probably better versions of this effect (I'd probably use Gift of Immortality first) but I like the idea that getting hugged tightly enough by an immortal goblin also grants you immortality.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

got foils of this one :3 lovely in Tiana, probably the most acceptable Giant Strength! Funny that it has a similar effect as Angelic Renewal, by the same artist. I've used them both together.

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

I've never used this card, but it's not terrible. It clearly has potential uses, and the art is beautiful, as is almost always the case with Rebecca Guay's art.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

The_Hittite wrote:
3 years ago
but I like the idea that getting hugged tightly enough by an immortal goblin also grants you immortality.
Never let go.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

The_Hittite wrote:
3 years ago
There are probably better versions of this effect (I'd probably use Gift of Immortality first) but I like the idea that getting hugged tightly enough by an immortal goblin also grants you immortality.
But this is better if you have things you want to cast. Adventure cards for example.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 3 years ago

If you wanted to run all the cards with squee you'd need
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks

Monday, April 5th, 2021; Qasali Slingers

I dub thee...Catra Shards.

I'm not even sorry :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Feels like a great pick for changeling tribal, but aura shards is better if you can support the colors.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

The big upside this has over Aura Shards is that it triggers on itself entering, so you don't have to play an additional creature. That said, the 2 extra cost and limitation to Cats means it's only worth it in Cat tribal or Changeling tribal, and it fights with Harmonic Sliver in the latter (though the benefit of being optional should not be overlooked).

Dunharrow

I am actually running this in my Mina and Denn, Wildborn. I like that it has combined 8 power and toughness for Wild Pair, and I like that I can tutor it with Mwonvuli Beast Tracker.

Reclamation sage is a better card, generally, but Qasali Slingers just fits my deck better.
Also run Temur Sabertooth and plan on putting Masked Vandal.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Feels like a great pick for changeling tribal, but aura shards is better if you can support the colors.
Wallycaine wrote:
3 years ago
The big upside this has over Aura Shards is that it triggers on itself entering, so you don't have to play an additional creature. That said, the 2 extra cost and limitation to Cats means it's only worth it in Cat tribal or Changeling tribal, and it fights with Harmonic Sliver in the latter (though the benefit of being optional should not be overlooked).
I ran this in my Changeling tribal deck for a few years but 4G just feels so very slow now and I just wasn't very happy with it. That's just too slow to disrupt the Sol RingDimir Signet explosive garbage opening hands. Against enchantress/voltron decks that it should excel against, it usually just immediately eats a removal spell. On board removal threats like this tend to scare people into burning removal on them faster than they necessarily should. Harmonic Sliver is way better for a Changeling deck, but the sliver can awkwardly blow up your own stuff every now and again.

I rate it as "ok" in a Changeling deck.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

Great in cat and changeling tribal and passable in a Warrior tribal deck that features some amount of Cats and Changelings, where it's comparable to or better than Aura Shards and provides nice redundancy. In a vacuum it still "does something" even as the only cat in your 99, but at 5 CMC it is competing with Acidic Slime which I find better in almost every conceivable way (Wild Pair shenanigans notwithstanding).

I can't imagine having that many decks that want multiple 5 CMC disenchant creatures - after Slime, I'm going to be more inclined to look at Reclamation Sage, Caustic Caterpillar, Thrashing Brontodon, or Wickerbough Elder (and that's just creatures at the same or a lesser CMC; we aren't even looking bigger or looking at any number of great instants or sorceries that nuke non-creature cards). This is better than the random 4/4s that do this effect most of the time though, so if you do care about a bigger P/T line for Wild Pair or whatever these are some cool cats and kittens.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Qasali Slingers is, amusingly, one of the better cards in my cube. The format is pretty midrangey, with a significant number of value-generating artifacts and enchantments, plus a fair number of small flyers. As a result, the Slingers are a good value-generating creature.

In EDH, Slingers are a bit weaker. There are a lot of other options for Naturalize-on-legs, such as Reclamation Sage. Additionally, while a 3/5 reach creature is still good, it's not a giant roadblock like it is in my cube. Slingers does go significantly up in value if you're running other cats or changelings - if you expect to get multiple triggers, I'd definitely consider including it. Definitely interesting to contrast with Acidic Slime - I think I would lean towards Slingers in a vacuum, since green decks often struggle to deal with flyers. Still, if you have fight shenanigans or expect a lot of big ground creatures in your meta, could go the other way.

...I'll yield to the experience of those that have actually run it in changeling decks though - five mana is certainly a lot for this effect.

3drinks

Tuesday, April 6th, 2021; Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Tuesday, April 6th, 2021; Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin
This card was hot fire with mutate. Vadrok highly liked it, but I bet it'd be even crazier in Illuna.

And it's probably garbage the rest of the time.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

As far as 3-drops go, one that spirals out of control pretty quickly is hard to discount. OG krenko gets more insane, but shaving off a mana is a big deal, and outside of best-case-scenario situations, this guy does pretty good. Especially nasty with any kind of buff - swords of X and Y protect him, help him swing, and get him started with 4 gobbos right out of the gate.

I wouldn't say he scales well enough to overcome the aggro hurdle in commander on his own, but if you want to play aggro, he's a valued member of the team.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

I really liked this Krenko in brawl, but it would not do well in Commander. too many boardwipes! Too many opponents!

3drinks

Wednesday, April 7th, 2021; Cry of the Carnarium

Pound for pound the best Infest effect I've seen, that is a lot of value strapped into the three mana value.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

It's a good infest, but I don't think I've ever felt like I wanted such a narrow sweeper in my decks. I guess I haven't run the numbers, but I don't think -2 kills enough of the format to make it worthwhile.

And ofc, in black the exile can easily be counterproductive.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Re: Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin - I've died to it on turn 4 or so off a Sol Ring opener. Krenko is capable of pumping out a lot of power if left unchecked.

Cry of the Carnarium - I'm not really a fan of Infest variants - it feels like they don't kill enough. They can be good if you're facing down an army of token goblins and don't expect to live until turn 4 to cast Damnation, but how often does that happen?

More seriously, I've been coming back around on Languish and other -X/-X effects in decks, specifically in decks running high-toughness creatures. Asymmetric board wipes are pretty nice, and while -2/-2 or -3/-3 may not kill everything, it is usually enough to thin the herd so you can clean things up with spot removal while leaving your own beefy creatures alive. On the other hand, if you're mostly running small creatures or are pretty creature-light, I'd just want to kill everything.

I'll call out Dead of Winter and Toxic Deluge as more flexible options. Witch's Vengeance is solid against tribal / token decks. Drown in Sorrow and Golden Demise are also worth consideration, but I would lean towards Cry of the Carnarium's exile over them.

Dunharrow

I don't think I have ever run a -2/-2 effect in commander. There are clearly better options, and if I wanted something like this I would need it to have another mode or have cycling or something. It's too narrow!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”