Daryl - Enrageing Pyroclams

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

So, I sort of started off with the idea of having a bunch of things to do 2-3 damage to all creatures with. Its the sweet spot to kill Daryl's zombies but not Daryl himself. I considered if I wanted a whole heap of these effects but in the end I tried pushing a few more of them to be on creatures and run a few more tutors hoping that it would give me more versatility. Its possible that I could use more of these effects but starting out I am going to have a few less to just try to feel out how things go. I just don't want to see a hand full of Pyroclasm effects as I think a lot of the spell based versions are a lot more narrow in use.

I tried running a number of creatures that benefit from being damaged and or can survive taking 2-3 damage to all creatures or are in the deck to die to that effect. This is still somewhat of a rough draft so perhaps I can figure out more with some testing.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by ISBPathfinder 2 years ago, edited 16 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

The list looks solid, though I think you might want just a smidge of scaling damage options like the recently reprinted Rolling Earthquake to fend off threats larger than the zombies Daryl spawns.

Daryl's surprisngly cheap for a SL exclusive. I may have to snag one and see personally the political ramifications of distributing zombies in bulk like that.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
The list looks solid, though I think you might want just a smidge of scaling damage options like the recently reprinted Rolling Earthquake to fend off threats larger than the zombies Daryl spawns.

Daryl's surprisngly cheap for a SL exclusive. I may have to snag one and see personally the political ramifications of distributing zombies in bulk like that.
I did think I was probably a little light on my sweepers going in but wanted to do some early testing before I did cuts and added more. I did manage a quick game with some friends over the internet and it did seem that I should probably have a little better sweeper density. I got to the point where I had like 8 zombies out there at one point before dying and it was a little frustrating when I needed to draw sweepers especially as I died to a swarm of goblins. I tried sweeping him once but the blue player countered my sweeper and then I dried up on draw and sweepers.
  • Worldly TutorRolling Earthquake - Worldly could still work but I just need more density of sweepers and my creature options for it seem to all be 5+ mana with a lot of them being well more than that. It is nice that I can scale this up if need be beyond just sweeping for 2-3.
  • Ancient GrudgeTraproot Kami - I want to push my blockers up a little. I noticed some issues with when I lose life it seems to be something I can't get back easily. I am not really sure offhand what size to expect out of the Kami but I like the design enough that I want to try it out and see how it performs for me. Fog Bank is a type of card I often utilize and it could possibly perform similarly. I don't love removing grudge because I think its a sweet card but at the same time I wanted to push up defenses and sweepers so that was currently my priority. I could see grudge come back later if I can get more testing in and find something else to cut.
  • Magma PhoenixKozilek's Return - I think the Phoenix has too many hoops to jump through. I just need a cheap sweep rather than to sac or block with a creature to use its sweep effect. I debated a bit between instant speed 2 damage or sorcery speed three damage and I think I like the option to hold up utility lands / spot removal in a pinch over hitting for three. The fact that Kozilek's Return is devoid which gets past protection rarely matters but I think its something to not write off as irrelevant.
  • Mina and Denn, WildbornBlasphemous Act - I think that Mina and Denn are awkward being a four drop. They compete with Daryl as a play and are by far the worst of the Exploration effects in the deck. Given that I was having issues drawing with the first game out of the gates I wanted to push harder on sweepers / surviving first and foremost. Blasphemous Act can be awkward in that it nukes my own creatures but I think its good to have some sweepers for everything and the fact that I likely get to cast it for a single mana puts me ahead on rebuilding after it.
  • AngerLightning Greaves - I am not really a go wide strategy and discarding down to hand size seems about the only way I was going to be happy with Anger. I think its better to curve in a smaller cost card than it is to ever have to cast Anger.
I also did a review of what options I have to gain life and..... its not really great. When I lose life with this deck it tends to be sort of a..... for good. It is possible I could resort to a few things but I just don't love a lot of my options. It has me running a few more cards with defense in mind. I am not sure if Traproot Kami will or won't work but its probably worth testing at least as a defensive measure. Ideally speaking sweeping the wide decks and then having means to shut down 1-2 big attackers is where I want to be.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Got a bit of testing in and its working out well so far. I had to make a few adjustments just due to not having a few things onhand but it was like two cards I plan to order so no biggie. Ramping Daryl in early and then having a sweeper has all been really good so far. I got Xenagos, God of Revels to help close both times which was useful and pairing him with Embercleave was crazy. I need to get more testing in but the few games I did today seemed helpful in getting some data.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Moraug, Fury of AkoumGodo, Bandit Warlord I can't deny that there was some powerful things from Moraug but I found him useful after being set up and doing crazy things. I think ultimately I want something that can function a bit more independantly. I originally was thinking how it could untap Daryl which is still true but I think its a hard sell to just do that for his mana cost and a card. I have a lot more equipment than I thought I would in here so Godo could help in a lot of situations and getting Embercleave or Batterskull from Godo both sound very offensive still.
  • Thaumatic CompassThought Vessel while I think the defense of compass can work, I sort of outsourced a lot of what I want from this effect to creature defense. Thought Vessel seems like it fits in a few ways in that it ramps to my commander and it also later helps me have oversized hands.
Hopefully I can get some more games in but its hard to get more than three player games set up right now during covid. It was interesting how I could sort of do some political things with who I give the tokens to. I managed to give six tokens to someone who took like 1/3 of someone's life away. It could really add up if someone was pissed at someone else and you throw a bunch of tokens into the mix.

As a side note, I really need to address my landbase a bit more. I definitely kind of put together what I found onhand but I also think I found some things that I included that I need to update to the digital list. I will see what I can do about updating that soon. Gemstone Caverns should definitely make the cut.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Well I got to thinking about this list and I realized I really so far haven't put much priority or caring about haste. Daryl could ping a zombie if he gets spot removed but I think the overall value of that is kind of low. Lots of my deck focuses more on defense until I build up or get a good sweeper off.

DECK CHANGE:
  • Rhythm of the WildCavalier of Thorns I am shifting a bit away from haste and I like the body overall of Cavalier. Its nice and defensive and it comes with some ramp and recursion both which seem good. I think curving Daryl and then Cavalier is a fairly safe set of turns as a whole and I generally can use more mana.
  • Lightning GreavesValakut Awakening again shifting away from haste. Its possible to get too many expensive cards in hand at one time or too many sweepers so I figure Valakut Awakening is a nice little cycling kind of card that can also function as a land drop if needed. I really like both sides of what it can do so lets give it a shot.
Hopefully I can get some more games in before too long. One of the guys in my digital group was moving and its been keeping him busy but hopefully before too long I can manage some more games.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I haven't gotten to play any lately but I still had a few changes I wanted to make. I wanted a small tick up in my draw outside of Daryl and I came up with one other quick swap too.

DECK CHANGE:
  • World BreakerGarruk's Uprising I think my defensive reach creatures count is getting better. I don't really love what World Breaker does for me and I think its a touch expensive. Removing gods is all good and what not but I don't think they are a huge issue most of the time. I think the enchantment has a good mana cost to it and it triggers for some steady draw for this deck not to mention that trample can be a very nice pickup with some of the large creatures and or Xenegos.
  • Aether FlashBoompile Aether Flash is an interesting card but its a touch clunky in that it costs the same as Daryl and has no immediate impact when it hits play. I guess I have been favoring some of the one shot sweepers so far than this effect which can repeatedly kill the tokens. There are still decks that flash would be good against but I think I would rather an effect that might sweep opponents on their turns like boompile. Even though its not something super reliable I think reseting the board is something useful for this deck.
I have been thinking about Basilisk Collar a few times in this list. I keep deciding against it because I really don't want to make Daryl more of a target than he already is. Its something I have kicked around a bit though and just thought I would mention it. Toralf, God of Fury is also maybe something I am considering but lots of my sweepers are just for two damage which wouldn't be much of a threat. I guess I will think about it a bit more.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

I think cutting Aether flash is an unwise choice. It provides excellent board control against most common creatures decks and although it has the cmc as daryl, I think the correct play 80% of the time is to play flash prior to daryl e.g. turn 2 ramp → turn 3 flash → turn 4 daryl. But if it must go, I would think you'd want a better wipe than boompile. Might I recommend Homing Lightning, Fault Line, or Firestorm instead? Firestorm is particularly cool because Daryl will refund the card disadvantage if you use it to clear out zombies.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
I think cutting Aether flash is an unwise choice. It provides excellent board control against most common creatures decks and although it has the cmc as daryl, I think the correct play 80% of the time is to play flash prior to daryl e.g. turn 2 ramp → turn 3 flash → turn 4 daryl. But if it must go, I would think you'd want a better wipe than boompile. Might I recommend Homing Lightning, Fault Line, or Firestorm instead? Firestorm is particularly cool because Daryl will refund the card disadvantage if you use it to clear out zombies.
I realized I have a few issues with Aether Flash lately.
  • Immediate Impact - Aether Flash doesn't really have immediate impact. I get that the whole dies to removal excuse isn't a good one, but its one of the factors I am looking at here. I can't really force any sort of follow up from this card immediately and I have to wait for opponents to play into it or for a turn+ to pass for it to interact for me. A similar comparison for me would be sort of why lots of people don't resort on Grafdigger's Cage in this format.
  • Cost - Four mana isn't super expensive but it also conflicts with casting my commander.
  • Lacks Versatility - Lots of my other effects have instant speed control or can be scaled to different damage numbers.
  • Reactive vs Proactive - I think its worth mentioning that if I draw a sweeper off the top that its likely a lot more useful than drawing Aether Flash later in the game. Aether Flash is a card that you want set up asap and for it to ideally live a long time. Drawing it after a board is established tends to be worse.
  • Consistency - I think that the redundancy of damage sweepers are actually something that hurts as you get more damage of a similar effect. Lots of the incentive of Aether Flash is the idea of setting it up and letting it wreck a token deck for multiple turns to come until they answer. Generally speaking if you have multiple damage sweepers in hand at one time they tend to be worse to draw additional ones but Aether Flash feels worse for the deck consistency I am aiming for. In this case, I actually think I would prefer Aether Flash more in a deck that possibly cares about enchantments and Aether Flash is just random token hate rather than a deck built on sweepers.
Now, Boompile is a rather controversial card I won't deny that. I personally have enjoyed the card even if it isn't necessarily predictable. What I did like about it was that it can come in and have (potentially) immediate impact. This deck seems to draw fairly well for me off of Daryl and a lot of the ramp is through means of land. I have more than once had more than one god in play as well and one of the games I won lately was off the back of an Oblivion Stone in my mainphase into attacking with two gods and cast / equipping Embercleave to a god. Granted, that was a crazy game to have been able to pull all of that off as it was a situation of casting and popping O Stone and using Yavimaya Hollow to regenerate Daryl + cast Exploration for devotion. I just thought I would mention that a lot of craziness was going on that game and I needed a total wrath of creatures in that case to do what I did.

Of the ones you mentioned I would possibly consider Fault Line but its more likely that I would go with Magmaquake for its ability to poke at walkers instead of life totals just given how this deck has played so far for me. I am also still trying to feel out how much I like the X damage effects vs the set damage effects. In a lot of cases I have been trying to make it so they don't hit Daryl but if the board is out of control I am more than willing to nuke everything. The fact that they often require 1+ more mana to have the scaling damage effects instead though is something I have noticed and keep watching though.

I personally have had good experience with Boompile. Its true that if you absolutely must wrath right now its maybe not the best but its cheap and its hard as hell to continue playing into it. Even if you go to naturalize it, its got 50% chance that it blows. Its an odd effect if you haven't played with or against it much but I find that its an interesting concept on how to play against it if it comes in before a wrath MUST happen. Then beyond all that, you could just ignore it and keep playing and building up yourself if people slow down. Its an interesting sort of card and it has had good results for me in the past.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Just doing a quick review for Kaldheim for this deck.
  • Goldspan Dragon - I think that this dragon is.... fine but maybe a little underwhelming for me in this format. If you are building around dragons or looking for ramp in a red deck that lacks green I think its ok. What I don't overly care for is how it doesn't put much pressure on opponents in a multiplayer 40 life format like this. I included it in my review here because it curves with the commander and doesn't die to x/2 sweepers. Beyond that though it doesn't ramp right for this deck and I suspect its primarily going to find its house in standard for now.
  • Toralf, God of Fury - I really like the idea of giving out a bunch of tokens then playing this guy into a Blasphemous Act. My main problem is how so many of my sweepers tend to focus more on doing just a few damage to all creatures. Its possible that if I shifted more of my sweepers to X damage ones it might make it more appealing.
  • Toski, Bearer of Secrets - Given my sweepers and the fact that it doesn't die to sweepers... Its interesting. I could also ping with my commander a blocker who blocks Toski to get more reach. The downside is that generally speaking this sort of effect is better with decks that go wide but I feel like I could also drop this little guy in and punish those decks while using him as this weird Phyrexian Arena that is hard to kill. I guess..... maybe? Small side note but it has great synergy with Vigor.
  • Svella, Ice Shaper - I like that it can curve in before Daryl, the ramp it creates is a mana sink that can also fake some spot removal and or instant speed sweepers and the second ability seems like a nice mana sink later. Its a blocker that kills zombie tokens and it doesn't die to X/2 damage sweepers. I guess if I have any concern is just that if I get it early the mana stones it makes don't seem all that cheap. Still though.... its kind of cool and I could see maybe putting it in for some testing.
  • Gnottvold Slumbermound - I guess I just wanted to give this a nod that its cool flavor. Its a bad token and a really bad Tectonic Edge for the most part. It can hit basic lands but that doesn't make it good. Its cool, and terrible lol.
  • Highland Forest - There are generally three reasons to consider this land cycle. 1) You care about how many lands of a basic land type you have such as Cabal Coffers or Emeria, the Sky Ruin. Valakut would generally require me to shift my lands to be heavy on mountains which is why I haven't done that as I tend to be heavy on green cards. 2) You are on a budget. 3) You have mechanics that care about how much snow your deck runs. I think that the biggest reason to run it tends to fall to black and white two color decks personally given the two lands I pointed out.
  • Tyrite Sanctum - Daryl dying is a little annoying and keeping him alive through a wrath of my doing or someone else's could be useful. I think its fairly inefficient though which is likely why I will pass on it. If I was a little more draw / go based this land would probably fit the deck better.
DECK CHANGE:
  • Silklash SpiderToski, Bearer of Secrets I have been feeling fairly good on my flying defense. I had been pushing on it fairly hard and I think that some defensive creatures are very powerful but at the same time, Silklash is a bit odd in that it has no real value outside of defense and its a five drop which is a little awkward. I still think that Silklash can have its time and place but when I compare it against the somewhat new Cavalier of Thorns its hard for me to really be happy with Silklash unless I see someone with a ton of flying tokens. Toski also seems interesting to me from the standpoint of a number of the equipment in the list. Putting a Batterskull, Embercleave, or Sword of Vengeance on Toski would all be quite amusing. I think that a combination of the sweepers I run though as well as some nice sized creatures could give me some good value from Toski. I don't think it will be crazy levels of draw but its more draw and its hard to remove Toski.
  • Hornet NestSvella, Ice Shaper I guess my concern is the one time use level of Hornet Nest. To be fair, I really can't say that I have drawn this card to my knowledge which makes cutting it a bit weird. That said though, I think a lot of my other creatures that take damage survive a lot of my intended sweepers but this one doesn't. Making two hornets just isn't that interesting... I like that Svella blocks zombies well and doesn't die to my own sweepers. I guess we will give it a shot and see what comes of it.

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 3 years ago

Found this list because of the recent thread re TWD cards. I'd slam Vicious Shadows in here myself because of the synergy with creature creation and sweepers. I wonder about some goad effects as well, though I've been stuck several times when it's down to 1 v 1 and goading doesn't really help much.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

kraus911 wrote:
3 years ago
Found this list because of the recent thread re TWD cards. I'd slam Vicious Shadows in here myself because of the synergy with creature creation and sweepers. I wonder about some goad effects as well, though I've been stuck several times when it's down to 1 v 1 and goading doesn't really help much.
I used to use this card in the past but more recently I have moved away from it from the standpoint that it costs a lot of mana and has no immediate impact on the board itself. Its hard to multi task a seven mana do nothing enchantment and then still try to sweep the board in the same turn. I do see the power of what it could do but I think I am hesitant from the standpoint that it probably takes a lot of mana setup as well as some specific boards to really do its thing.

This deck is already at its best when going against token decks and I see this as sort of a slow wincon that pays off if you que the deck up against the right thing. I get that if there is any token deck around you could pile the triggers up on the control player but I still think my issue that it requires a ton of mana and setup is still sort of my issue with it. I tend to favor making a deck work fundamentally over having closing power though and many have accused me of not having dedicated win conditions in my decks because its often not how I build. I am sure there would be plenty of times it would be ok but its an effect I see as needing to be rolled out all at once on the right board and that means likely being in a 10+ mana situation which is what I don't like about it.

Ok, so recently I have gotten to play a lot of my decks against a lot more people and get more testing in. Given that this was one that I made mid Covid I didn't get to do a lot of testing against many people / much diversity in decks. I only played it something like 2-3 times now since then but I got to see a lot more of this deck against a lot more diverse meta. Some things to mention:

Tokens - I have multiple times now played against token decks and ohhhhhh boy its not even fair lol. There is a downside to this though too in that the non token decks tend to get pressured a lot less so it ends up being sort of me keeping the token decks in check and struggling against the non token decks.
Pressure - I have noticed a lack of my own ability to close out games. I still get there but it often requires me to clear entire boards multiple times and exhaust players before I can do it. Some of my changes coming are a change to give me more attack pressure.
Opposing Fatties - If an opponent has something bigger than a 6/6 I have noticed some challenges in dealing with it. I have a few big sweepers that might be able to get them and a few beast within type effects but shy of that I have noticed some issues with fatties on opponents boards. I don't know that I really have a solution offhand other than getting bigger but that seems like the option for me right now.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Hull BreachCindervines I often feel like there is one thing I am actually after when I cast Hull Breach and assuming I get to remove a second thing its usually just collateral damage kind of a thing. I want to try out a move to Cindervines as I see a lot of decks that just churn through draw not necessarily doing a lot per card cast. I felt like the potential to hit my opponents for some damage helps me some with the issues I am having with pressure.
  • Scourge of Kher RidgesVolcanic Torrent Scourge is cool but it costs a lot of mana the first turn to set up what is mostly just a 2-3 mana effect. I get that he is reusable and it forces opponents to have removal but I think I would rather just have something cheaper. Volcanic is a bit of an odd spell and I have a number of somewhat dud cards it could hit with X mana in their cost but it has a lot of potential hits that seem well worth giving it a shot. What I like about this card is it doesn't hit my creatures and I can scale it up higher later in the game. I have somewhat of a weakness in trying to do 4 damage to my own creatures so I find the fact that it doesn't hit my own appealing.
  • BatterskullRuric Thar, the Unbowed Batterskull was awkward and it just took too much mana to move around. I didn't find it all that impressive without putting it on something else and doing so was just too much time and effort. I figured Ruric is fairly defensive still but gives me some reach to slap some people around. Pairing him with some small damage sweepers makes it hard to throw chump blocks at him too which is cool. There could be some issues if he doesn't die in a few turns as I am not a super heavy creature deck but I figure casting him and passing turn really puts a lot of pressure on opponents to do something about him so I sort of expect him to die and dish out some pain somewhat quickly. We will see how that plan goes lol.
  • Godo, Bandit WarlordPolyraptor Once I decided I was cutting Batterskull, keeping Godo became a lot more suspect so its time to move on. I have been impressed with the enrage mechanic creatures in this deck so I figured I might as well try out the Polyraptor as it seems fairly good against spot removal effects.
  • Sword of VengeanceRhonas the Indomitable I opted to try to put less cards that felt reliant on my commander. I do like Daryl with this equipment but the problem is it makes him a bigger target which I would like to avoid. Rhonas gives me a cheap beater and an option to give out some trample which I don't have a lot of which seemed nice. With sweeping small creatures it makes the idea of Rhonas beats kind of appealing to me.
  • Svella, Ice ShaperJeska's Will I got Svella into play a few times but I just never had the time or mana to make the monoliths. I think that Svella would be a sweet Seedborn Muse type of commander but it just didn't fit this concept as the more draw I found myself with the less I could focus on Svella. The one game that it did shine was a game where I ended up using Vigor + a damage sweeper to put 5 counters on and just started beating on people which literally anything else could do for me. I spent somewhat of a lot of time figuring out what I was replacing this card with as I didn't want to keep cutting cheap cards for expensive ones so I figured Jeska's Will is a solid card that acts as both draw and ramp which I can get behind.
  • Traproot KamiElder Gargaroth So, this moves my curve up quite a bit but I want to see how Gargaroth does. I wanted to move a little more aggressive as I felt like I was a little too heavy on defending. I might bring the Taproot back as I did really like it in a number of situations especially given how cheap it is but I wanted to try to ramp up some of my capability to be aggressive and also I like that Gargaroth is a big fatty with reach + vigilance letting me go offensive and still be defensive with it.
  • Labyrinth of SkophosWitch's Clinic I have enough decks that do damage outside of combat that I wanted to shift my defense plan to one where I could gain some life rather than just defend myself.
  • Cragcrown PathwayYavimaya, Cradle of Growth just swapping some of my land fix about.
  • 1 MountainHanweir Battlements I have wanted just a touch more for access to haste. I don't think that my colored mana is too much of an issue. Its really only an issue if I start with a Sol Ring / Mana Crypt and also don't have two colored lands. I guess I could also get something like 2 forest + one of those but I think I want a little more utility offhand still.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I played one game with this deck tonight and I lived two dreams in it that I doubt I ever will again in said game. It was a 3 player game and I was second in turn order. I got an opening hand with Gemstone Caverns, a forest, and mana crypt so I did a T1 Daryl which was the first completely dumb thing I got to do. I then played some ramp on turn 2 and went to town with Thornbite Staff on turn three.

The game wasn't super long but I think around turn seven after having hit the ramp button fairly hard I managed to be set up in play with a Pyrohemia + daryl + Thonebite Staff which was controlling the hell out of the board when I managed to play a Polyraptor into that boardstate and generate like 60 raptors lol. The game ended quickly from there.

So, I got to live the dream of both T1 Daryl and Polyraptor + Pyrohemia in the same game. It was a sweet one for me lol.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Its not worth much but I managed to play a game with this deck this week. It was unfortunately against a newer player and a budget deck so it wasn't all that great of testing so much as me goldfishing unfortunately. I won't do much of a recap given that it wasn't a very good game but I just thought I would mention a little feedback that I did see from said game.
  • Klothys, God of Destiny - He continues to impress me. I managed to get him out fairly early on I think it was a T4 play after a T3 Daryl. Its pressure on graveyards when played early is really nice and the option to ramp if I need it is nice. Its another source of continuous pressure and combined with damage sweepers / Daryl pings it makes blocking him hard once he can attack.
  • Ruric Thar, the Unbowed - I managed to get him set up and then the following turn took the damage to overload a Mizzium Mortars. Ruric + sweepers is such a potent combination even though he hits me for six clearing a board largely of threats and then going to pound town is really nice. My opponents had a very hard time rebuilding and I believe he got 2-3 triggers on my opponents as I opened them up to the beat down of my board. I like that he can be a must answer threat against some decks that pulls aggro away from my commander and paired with sweepers and pings seems to be relatively aggressive.
  • Elder Gargaroth - I don't know what it is but I have yet to cast him. I believe I have seen him a few times now but for whatever reason I keep feeling like I have better things to do. I need to keep an eye on him but when Daryl is working and I am sweeping out zombie tokens and doing well, I haven't felt like playing this guy out has been an optimal use of my resources. I will have to keep an eye on him. Its possible I just keep drawing him at weird times or as I am putting people in the ground. I just thought I would mention that I have seen him be drawn a few times but I have yet to cast it. Its a cool card but I guess my concern is that it needs to make it to combat to be relevant and I don't have much in the way of flash / haste in this deck.
  • Oblivion Stone / Boompile / Blasphemous Act I think all three of these all fall into the same category of "fallen behind sweepers". That is to say that I really only intend to deploy / use them when someone else pulls ahead. They tend to be a more controlling strategy but of late I have been pushing to be a little more proactive. If and when Daryl doesn't get disrupted I often end up with a lot of extra card advantage and can shift to being an aggressor but these cards are cards that are more used when I have fallen behind someone else. That isn't to say that this deck is really that fast or linear but I guess its me questioning if I want a bunch of catch up effects or if I want a more proactive linear strategy. I don't really know but I point them out because some of my recent shifts to the deck have been to add more proactive elements to the deck and these tend to be very reactive. Its not wrong to have sweepers that might slow me down but its more of me questioning if its the axis I want to fight on and or be on.

Haman

Post by Haman » 2 years ago

Hello isb.. I am interested to build a budget version of daryl.. so I decided to use yr listing as a base. After dissect your listing, these are the stats.

Daryl, Hunter of Walkers
==============================
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Mana Crypt
Sol Ring
Thought Vessel
Farseek
Nature's Lore 10 ramp 5 landdrop
Three Visits
Pir's Whim
Ranging Raptors
Ulvenwald Hydra
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
Burgeoning
Exploration
Wayward Swordtooth
Explore

Wall of Blossoms
Carven Caryatid
Ripjaw Raptor
Toski, Bearer of Secrets
Cavalier of Thorns
Sylvan Library 10 card drawing 2 tutor
Colossal Majesty
Garruk's Uprising
Jeska's Will
Valakut Awakening
Chord of Calling
Green Sun's Zenith

Relic of Progenitus
Soul-Guide Lantern
Scavenging Ooze
Klothys, God of Destiny
Rhonas the Indomitable
Xenagos, God of Revels 13 control element/ misc
Elder Gargaroth
Embercleave
Dragon Broodmother
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Vigor
Polyraptor
Thornbite Staff

Apex Altisaur
Shard Phoenix
Oblivion Stone
Boompile
Kenrith's Transformation
Pyrohemia 14 removal
Starstorm
Kozilek's Return
Volcanic Fallout
Volcanic Torrent
Blasphemous Act
Rolling Earthquake
Mizzium Mortars
Fiery Confluence

Cindervines
Beast Within
Chaos Warp 5 art/ench removal
Force of Vigor
Decimate

Deflecting Swat
Finale of Devastation
Ezuri's Predation 2 finisher 1 protection

Arid Mesa
Bloodstained Mire
Cinder Glade
Command Tower
8 Forest
Hanweir Battlements
High Market
Homeward Path
Kessig Wolf Run
Misty Rainforest
4 Mountain
Myriad Landscape 37 lands
Reliquary Tower
Rootbound Crag
Scalding Tarn
Sheltered Thicket
Spire Garden
Stomping Ground
Strip Mine
Taiga
Verdant Catacombs
Wasteland
Windswept Heath
Witch's Clinic
Wooded Foothills
Yavimaya Hollow
Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth

Qn: Wat do you think are the more important cards in each section ?

Qn: Are the gods relevant? They seems unreliable to become creatures?

Qn: There is only 1 protection spell... How often do you have to recast daryl? Does people constant remove your commander?
Last edited by Haman 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

This seems like a deck that could really use a Sorrow's Path.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Haman wrote:
2 years ago
Hello isb.. I am interested to build a budget version of daryl.. so I decided to use yr listing as a base. After dissect your listing, these are the stats.

-Snip-

Qn: Wat do you think are the more important cards in each section ?

Qn: Are the gods relevant? They seems unreliable to become creatures?

Qn: There is only 1 protection spell... How often do you have to recast daryl? Does people constant remove your commander?
I think the most important things to consider in this deck are:

Ramp into Daryl - Get him in early as it means more zombies spawned which turns into more cards drawn. Ramp also helps repeatedly play him so I would say that 2 or less mana ramp that will accelerate him is kind of important. Its likely that I should actually run that commander lotus as well but I didn't really think about it before now. Getting him in early and being able to replay him is really a big deal though.
Sweep the zombies - I usually aim for doing 2-3 damage or if its more than that only as an emergency or when you can do it to all creatures not yours. Daryl generally can't keep up with the number of tokens he spawns without help. I have in fact run into situations where someone has like 12 zombies because I haven't been able to en mass sweep them and it gets spooky fast.

I really don't think its that important to be on any specific cards in this deck. I think its a bigger deal to be on some broad concepts which for me is ramp to commander which also helps replay him and the ability to sweep out the tokens. Everything else is kind of up to you as to how you want it done.

Relivant Cards Per Section - I have a hard time saying get this and omit that because when you are on a budget its hard for me to say what is and isn't important. Lots of the creatures I run for instance have some nice synergy with drawing extra cards, doing damage to the board, or taking damage themselves. There are several that I think work just fine like Dragon Broodmother, Ruric Thar, the Unbowed, and Cavalier of Thorns but really aren't core to what I am doing so I would likely lump them in as something I wouldn't put a high priority to. If I were to impress a priority in what to obtain it would be an emphasis on ramping and sweeping though. After you get that stuff at an acceptable range I would say to start working on things that take damage profitably which would be some of the enrage kind of trigger stuff because its cool, fun, and works well with what the deck will be doing by then.

Gods - I only have two gods but especially if you are on a budget I would just pass on them for now. I like both of them and they do animate quite often for me but mostly I like that they are hard to remove buff kind of effects. Klothys, God of Destiny gives me some small but consistant damage output / lifegain with some graveyard hate and potentially ramp. Its just an all around fairly good effect for the mana and if you look at it from a standpoint of doing 2 damage to each opponent each turn thats 6 damage in a 3 player game and that didn't even get into attacking or blocking which he can still do. I primarily think of Klothys as just an efficient and useful utility for the mana sort of an effect that is fairly good when drawing a bunch of cards. Xenagos, God of Revels in my opinion is a little more hit or miss but given the damage sweepers I often don't even need trample in this deck for Xenagos to punch in for some really big numbers. I also run Embercleave and Kessig Wolf Run which can pair with him very nicely for some big numbers. I think that the gods are good in this deck which is why I run them but I also wouldn't put them so high as to say that they should be any sort of priority if you are making your own list on a budget. I would say you are far better off getting other things in place before them. I would say that maybe after you get like 75% of the list how you want it consider them but I wouldn't do it much before then.

Protection - I run very little protection in part because I don't feel that there are very many worth considering. Most protection effects are going to cost you extra setup or more mana past casting him. Lots of the redirect effects for example cost 2+ mana to cast them. I also think that a lot of protection requires setup, extra mana, and is situational at best. My philosophy towards commanders has mostly shifted to a concept of ramp into them and ramp into the ability to continue to cast them. Ramp is a far better strategy than protecting as it lets you do more things with draw which is something this deck does. I won't pretend that nobody ever kills Daryl but ramping into him and ramping into the ability to continue to cast him is generally where I stand. If someone shuts him down immediately and repeatedly then yes, that is a problem but I don't think that you are going to protect him from something like that either. Generally speaking something like Lightning Greaves I view more as a haste outlet than I do as protection as when you go to equip it they can just shoot him then and usually have more incentive to do so in response to a greaves equip than if he just sat there in my opinioin. My stance on protection has shifted more towards a less is better concept and just ramp into playing them early and the same ramp will help you replay them as well as play out the cards you are going to draw from him. I also often force people to deal with threats other than Daryl and that helps me a lot. People have a hard time going after Daryl while they watch me damage sweep with a Vigor for instance and most panic and go after him instead. Its part of why I took a lot of my build up Daryl effects out and opted to diversify threats instead of making Daryl himself better in most cases.
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Sorry for the double post, I screwed up somewhere as I thought I was editing my previous post and somehow I quoted it instead and had to edit it to this.
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
This seems like a deck that could really use a Sorrow's Path.
Hummmmm thats food for thought. I will have to check on the rules and when and how you can use Sorrow's Path but that's a cool effect. I guess the concern being its a land that doesn't tap for mana but its a cool land. I will have to dig a bit deeper on it. I just wish there were more playable enrage creatures because I feel like the effect is a bit dependent on them.

EDIT: Checking the rules it seems that it pings for the 2 damage anytime it becomes tapped. That is very interesting as its useful if I have something like Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth or Dryad of the Ilysian Grove. I also technically can run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth here which I likely would if I bring in Sorrow's Path. I ordered a copy and we will see if I can't test it out at some point. Its a cute idea. I put in some orders to finally get some copies of Yavimaya and ordered a Sorrow's Path. I will see what I can come up with on testing it.

Its also likely that I should reassess some of my ramp and my landbase in here. Jeweled Lotus is something I should likely test in here as it seems like a great effect to pick up here where a faster commander play equates to more cards drawn.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
EDIT: Checking the rules it seems that it pings for the 2 damage anytime it becomes tapped.
Oh yeah, you don't want to actually use the blocking switching ability, way too annoying to actually set up. It's all about that triggered ability. I built a deck around it with Golos. Mostly I love it because it's considered one of the worst cards of all time, but enrage makes it pretty solid.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Oh yeah, you don't want to actually use the blocking switching ability, way too annoying to actually set up. It's all about that triggered ability. I built a deck around it with Golos. Mostly I love it because it's considered one of the worst cards of all time, but enrage makes it pretty solid.
Yea its very interesting. The hardest part for me is that mostly we need more enrage / enrage like mechanics to be consistent with it. Its going to take some amount of setup to use and sort of cost me a card / land play and even at that point it needs further assistance and I need something that cares about taking damage. It might be a question of threat density for it to really help me out before I could run it but I got a copy and I will think about it going forward. I just wish there were more reasonable cards that cared about the enrage effect.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

D&D Set Review:
  • Zalto, Fire Giant Duke - Its got an enrage ability and doesn't die to taking two damage so I guess thats off to a reasonable start. The downside is that well.... the dungeon mechanic seems fairly weak and I would probably value it at somewhere less than 1/3 of drawing a single card. So, I am going to give it a pass but I think it could have maybe made it except for how weak the dungeon payoffs are.
  • Green Dragon - I like the effect it gives but its an uncommon and its power reflects. Its a lot better off to just run some sort of deathtouch equipment but I think the card and effect is cool enough I would give it a nod in my review. It would be cool to see something with this ETB as a passive effect though.
  • Old Gnawbone - I am normally against expensive mana doubler like effects because they often require untapping the following turn to recoup and gain any mana but the ability to swing with existing creatures right after playing this guy or possibly even giving him haste could really be interesting. I don't think I am going to run him, but I think its interesting and I think there are places I would want this sort of effect at least.
  • Werewolf Pack Leader - It doesn't die to a pyroclasm and its got decent stats with the potential to draw more cards. I think its fine to be honest but its a little challenging from the standpoint that it might take some time to get the draw online and only having three toughness is unfortunate as I do occasionally sweep for three. I think it could work in a build like this it would just want a little more aggressive of a slant than what I have currently.
  • Bard Class - Hummmm it makes Daryl cheaper to cast and buffs him up a little. It also give some draw like effect on casting legends. Its not bad but ultimately if you look at how it would play from an opening hand it would get played on turn two. On turn three you level this spell and you can't play Daryl until turn 4 still. There are still advantages to it but I think its a big miss in my mind to not ramp into Daryl with the ramp effects so I will be passing.
  • Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients - OOOO a decent enrager. The tokens are a bit temporary but that doesn't mean they can't be useful for adding pressure or trading in combat. I think this card is a great fit for this deck and I look forward to seeing how it plays.
  • Den of the Bugbear - The land itself and the tokens it makes are all susceptible to the sweepers so I am not that eager for this.
  • Dungeon Descent - Daryl has better uses than tapping for this and I think that the dungeon effect is really underwhelming.
  • Lair of the Hydra - Ehhh I don't love it. I really wish it would have gotten reach at which point I might have entertained it but as it is I will pass.
I will find a place to make room for Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients for sure. I also think its likely that I will find some room to get a Jeweled Lotus in here as I have been mulling that over for a while and I probably should have one in here.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

They released the whole D&D new commander cards since my last post so here is my D&D commander decks review as the D&D set itself was mostly underwhelming.
  • Dragonborn Champion - I have always thought the creatures that draw on damaging a player are kind of cool. Its stat line isn't super impressive but it doesn't die to two damage so its sort of a so so passing grade. Other creatures can trigger its draw and even trigger it from non combat damage so overall I think its a really cool design. Some of my hang ups are based on its low toughness and if it gets chumped it wouldn't draw. The sweepers in the deck do make it interesting but I think that I just barely prefer Toski, Bearer of Secrets right now given how much of a cockroach he is. Dragonborn Champion is cool because it takes a more aggressive gameplan but its hard to ignore indestructible on Toski. For now, I think I need to test Toski more before I consider this new card but I think its REAL close to a consideration for me.
  • Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient - I really like how he refunds a good amount of the mana spent to cast him on his own and can easily net gain mana the turn he comes in. Getting to the seven mana is a restriction but man its good mana gen as soon as he is in (assuming he lives that long). I think its a really solid new card and the only reason I probably won't add it to this list is that its expensive to cast and has less direct synergy with what I want to be doing than other cards that I have in the list.
  • Klauth's Will - I LOVE this effect. This deck wants to do 2-3 damage to all creatures like all the time and smashing a bunch of toys while I am at it. This is like everything I want in a spell for this deck.
  • Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients - Another very reasonable enrage effect. The tokens are temporary but they are powerful and his mana cost is a lot more reasonable than Polyraptor so I look forward to jamming him in.
  • Wulfgar of Icewind Dale - Its interesting but I don't think he fits the concept of this deck.
Man, a lot of the Gruul cards seem entirely reasonable for this deck. I didn't like any of the mono red or mono green cards but the Gruul cards felt like they were almost designed for my deck lol.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Oblivion StoneVrondiss, Rage of Ancients I have been contemplating cutting some of the O Stone effects for a while as I have been shifting to a little more aggressive of a setup. I started out with a more control mindset with this deck but I haven't felt like I need all non land sweep effects lately. Sweeping small creatures and rolling in with fatties has been working out fairly well for me recently so I am trying to push in that direction and see where it ends up for me. It can be awkward if someone out classes my creatures with something bigger than a 6/6 but I think it might be more relivant to consider things that can kill larger creatures in that sort of situation instead of trying to destroy the whole board. Vrondiss looks really cool and I look forward to testing him as he fits the enrage concept really well.
  • BoompileJeweled Lotus same as above and I think getting my commander in sooner is a big deal. The more time I have with Daryl in play the more cards I can draw. It would be a real shame though if I play Daryl T1 and someone spot removes him as it would put me back quite a bit with lotus as my way of getting him in but I think it needs to be tested.
  • Force of VigorKlauth's Will I have often not been impressed with Force in that I usually have to discard to hand size before I can free cast it. It often leaves me actually casting force for whatever reason so I think I will be a lot happier getting a pyroclasm for one more mana alongside of a destroy two and I can bump that up to a destroy three in a lot of cases.
I wanted to lean in a bit more aggressively of late than the artifact sweepers have been. I started out with a more control concept with more defensive reach creatures than I currently have in the list but I have slowly shifted to be a little more aggressive slanted which I have been meaning to cut out the Oblivion Stone effects more recently. I opted to keep Blasphemous Act only due to how efficient it can be in a pinch. Paying one mana for a sweeper can allow for a really nice rebuild period after sweeping given how cheap it can be to cast.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

I know ramping into Daryll has been game plan #1 for you so I'm curious if you've given consideration to Utopia Sprawl and Wild Growth? The turn 1 ramp possibility seems very effective for your list as it enables a lot of power for very little cost up front.

Another card I was looking at but I don't see you having listed is Bequeathal as it easily becomes a sorcery speed Ancestral Recall with Daryll and a zombie token. Speaking of the Zombies, have you considered Oath of Druids? I know it could bit you but given you can control how many creatures each player has quite easily I think it could be an interesting option.

Finally I'm curious if you had considered Wrenn and Six. Between all your fetches, enragers and decent Instant and sorcery volume I think they would be a solid fit.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
I know ramping into Daryll has been game plan #1 for you so I'm curious if you've given consideration to Utopia Sprawl and Wild Growth? The turn 1 ramp possibility seems very effective for your list as it enables a lot of power for very little cost up front.

Another card I was looking at but I don't see you having listed is Bequeathal as it easily becomes a sorcery speed Ancestral Recall with Daryll and a zombie token. Speaking of the Zombies, have you considered Oath of Druids? I know it could bit you but given you can control how many creatures each player has quite easily I think it could be an interesting option.

Finally I'm curious if you had considered Wrenn and Six. Between all your fetches, enragers and decent Instant and sorcery volume I think they would be a solid fit.
Utopia Sprawl / Wild Growth So a lot of the reasons I would run these is if I am enchantress or have land untap mechanics. They don't really stack ramping into more ramp that effectively as a lot of my two mana ramp gets me to Daryl on T3 and these don't really stack into other ramp in a profitable way while also leaving targets to remove for mass removal of nonland effects or random Aura Shards effects. I don't really see a reason to run them over a Rampant Growth effect in here offhand. I don't really have a hard number on ramp for this deck I have just been sort of running mostly what I have been for a while now but I could see going up or down more I just don't see a lot of need to find two ramp effects early so I haven't gone too crazy yet.

Bequeathal - Its ok, I am just not crazy about it. There is some setup to it still and the payoff isn't crazy. It feels a little dependent on Daryl I guess and I don't want to put more pressure on him to carry me if I can help it. What I mean by this is if someone just blows up Daryl immediately I can be in a tough spot and this card feels like it would not help me in that situation where as situations where Daryl does fine and is doing his thing I don't really need to make Daryl better. I want to make the deck less central on him and give less reasons for opponents to disrupt him and go after my other creatures / threats.

Oath of Druids - I will be honest, I hate hug effects and in a lot of cases I have had the most creatures in play even with Daryl being my commander. Once he gets going I sometimes sweep every turn or every other turn which depending on my opponents deck it can really screw with their boardstates. Its part of why I shifted to being a more aggro deck because when I was more control focused there was occasionally a long time closing out with more defensive creatures.

Wrenn and Six - I am not a big fan of over time value planeswalkers. I tend to prefer planeswalkers that pay for themselves the first turn they come in. Wrenn and Six does recover a land immediately which is fine I just don't want to devote the time and attention to defend them I guess. The poke is nice though.... I guess I will have to think about it but I ran them once in the past and was very much not impressed by what they did especially given their price tag. I think I sold the two I opened and I don't really feel they are wroth the $$$ for this format if I am being honest. If someone is playing a similar list and owns one I think its fine to test I just don't think its worth the money if you don't have one (which I don't)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

This deck reminds me how much I like Druid's Call and how I would try to jam it in here with a few Lure effects.
I have to ask though, why is Carven Caryatid in the deck? It seems pretty mediocre.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Haman

Post by Haman » 2 years ago

a few scenarios
when an opponent have 3 zombies, and he feels like attacking ( assuming he has 3 zombies only )
daryl+ wall of blossom = takes 2 damages draw 2 card or draw card if he don't attack you.

daryl + carven caryatid = draw 3 cards .. the extra power acually deters attack.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”