Phelddagrif: Show Weakness to Hide Your Strength

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
the discard clause single handedly disqualifies it imo.
I mean, if it bounced itself without the discard it would be a little silly. I don't think the discard is a big deal, but I don't think the card really does anything here. What are we ramping into? Why do we want to drop so many lands into play repeatedly? I mean, more mana more problems, but this deck isn't running a lot of mana sinks. If we're just trying to empty our hand there are far more productive things we could be doing. I didn't run Exploration (are y'all gonna talk about Case of the Locked Hothouse? Surprise! Song of the Dryads!) at all and I never felt the need for it.

18 counters is... a lot. A lot. I wish someone here would sand the edges of this deck down with more cantrips/filtering. Brainstorm and friends are so, so good. I'm telling you, you're missing out if you haven't played these in control lists.

Tags:

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
I mean, if it bounced itself without the discard it would be a little silly. I don't think the discard is a big deal, but I don't think the card really does anything here. What are we ramping into? Why do we want to drop so many lands into play repeatedly? I mean, more mana more problems, but this deck isn't running a lot of mana sinks. If we're just trying to empty our hand there are far more productive things we could be doing.
Silly from a design point of view? I don't think it would be remotely broken power-wise tbh.

With loam engine I think the card has merit. Loam can cheaply provide a lot of lands, fodder for the discard, and also is a mana sink to use those lands. Without loam, nah.

In general more mana = more interaction and more card advantage. We have quite a few mana sinks imo - lots of utility lands to dump mana into, many of which provide CA, plus CA engines like loam/pulse/muse/etc depending on your preferences. I dunno what your expectation of mana sink density is, but virtually every game I've played with the deck involved me having an outlet to turn mana into CA repeatedly. And Phelddagrif itself is a mana sink of a kind.
I didn't run Exploration (are y'all gonna talk about Case of the Locked Hothouse? Surprise! Song of the Dryads!) at all and I never felt the need for it.
Y'know, I didn't pay it much mind, but maybe I should have. It's obviously way stronger with creatures and/or enchantments, and we have few of the latter and essentially none of the former, but just being oracle of mul daya as an enchantment isn't exactly bad. Exploration lets us ramp out faster but that's rarely necessary, and hothouse is a lot more impactful late. Idk, what do y'all think? Card was filthy at FNM btw (when I wasn't getting aggroed down at least).
18 counters is... a lot. A lot. I wish someone here would sand the edges of this deck down with more cantrips/filtering. Brainstorm and friends are so, so good. I'm telling you, you're missing out if you haven't played these in control lists.
I've been playing control for 25 years, I've cast brainstorm. I just don't see filtering as terribly useful for this deck. We're not trying to have a good curve or sculpt together a wincon, nearly every card in the deck is useful at any time. And there's a price to be paid in enemy attention for casting more spells, especially ones that are typically indicative of assembling something in hand. It's easier to believe that we're beatable if we've just been draw-going than if we've been scrying and filtering and etc. Your opponents would need brain damage not to expect a grip of counters and removal at that point.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 months ago

Even with loam, you're spending two mana at sorcery speed to replace your draw for turn with 3 lands, then you're spending 4 mana at sorcery speed to put two of those lands into play, saving the last one to be discarded to buy back Jadzi.

The result is you're spending 6 mana a turn to skip your draw step and get +2 lands each turn. Not to mention Jadzi perpetually sits in your hand as a "your hand size is reduced by one" emblem.

You could make it more efficient by only casting it every other turn, that way your putting 5 lands into play every other turn, but that also means that the majority of your 7-card hand is full of lands, loam, and Jadzi.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
It's easier to believe that we're beatable if we've just been draw-going than if we've been scrying and filtering and etc. Your opponents would need brain damage not to expect a grip of counters and removal at that point.
Well, a) have you played with randoms lately? and b) they would likewise need brain damage to assume you're just drawing useless spells you're not playing, so that's a nonargument. Cantrips are sandpaper. They smooth things over and bind the deck together, let you lower your land count slightly for even more business, make opening hands much better, reduce densities since they can find what you need to improve flexibility...

I don't have to tell you these things.

I'm just genuinely surprised you're so resistant to trying them.

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
2 months ago
Even with loam, you're spending two mana at sorcery speed to replace your draw for turn with 3 lands, then you're spending 4 mana at sorcery speed to put two of those lands into play, saving the last one to be discarded to buy back Jadzi.

The result is you're spending 6 mana a turn to skip your draw step and get +2 lands each turn. Not to mention Jadzi perpetually sits in your hand as a "your hand size is reduced by one" emblem.

You could make it more efficient by only casting it every other turn, that way your putting 5 lands into play every other turn, but that also means that the majority of your 7-card hand is full of lands, loam, and Jadzi.
If you're going all-out, you'd be pairing loam with cyclers to put many lands into hand and then dumping them all at once. Potentially you could accelerate yourself massively if it was something you wanted to do.

Say you have 7 mana, loam, a 1-mana cycler, and jadzi. Loam for 3 lands, jadzi to dump them, cycle to recur loam, loam again, 10 lands in play.
Next turn, loam cycle loam cycle, jadzi dumping ~7 lands, loam cycle loam, 17 lands in play and a grip ready to go even harder next turn (or mana up for interaction if you prefer).
Obviously you'll run out of fetch targets (or possibly life, or cards in library) but at that point you can pivot to using multiple cyclers (which you've definitely milled into) to draw tons of cards, hit infinite turns with nexus, etc.

I'm just saying, there's definitely some power there that isn't offered by other means. Not sure if it's something we want, but I think it merits consideration.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
Well, a) have you played with randoms lately? and b) they would likewise need brain damage to assume you're just drawing useless spells you're not playing, so that's a nonargument. Cantrips are sandpaper. They smooth things over and bind the deck together, let you lower your land count slightly for even more business, make opening hands much better, reduce densities since they can find what you need to improve flexibility...

I don't have to tell you these things.

I'm just genuinely surprised you're so resistant to trying them.
a) why, did they get a patch update?

b) It's a matter of degrees. It's not black and white - I'm not saying "sculpting your hand = people attack you, no sculpting = people don't". I'm saying that the more we sculpt, the greater the likelihood and degree of aggression against us.

People react in different ways - if someone decides our passivity is threatening that's okay, we can unload some removal spells to quell their aggression until our threat level has lowered and someone else becomes a bigger problem for them, or we can ally with their enemies and boost them up until the conflict becomes unmanageable for our antagonist. But it's kind of a zero-sum game. The more we sculpt our hand, the more we're forced to use our sculpted hand to answer aggression caused by our hand sculpting. I don't see the point in starting the cycle in the first place. And to your point - with exceptions (wipes, mostly), I think you can basically tell people the contents of your hand. If you're drawing naturally it sounds like bad beats that you're only drawing lands and answers and nothing proactive. Whereas if everyone can see that you're sculpting your hand to intentionally be those answers, it's obviously intentional. That's not to say that people won't still potentially consider a naturally-drawn answer-heavy hand to be threatening and come after you, but I do think it lessens the likelihood and degree of their ire. Again, it's that zero-sum situation imo. The same situation presents itself in lots of ways, of course, notably with stronger draw engines drawing more ire which requires stronger draw engines to keep up. But while I do think some amount of CA is necessary, I don't think filtering has nearly the same positive impact because of the extremely heavy redundancies in the deck.

The classic control mindset wants guarantees and certainty. But if we demand certainty for ourselves, we remove our opponents hope. And we need that hope for the deck to operate properly. You need to walk the line between chaos and control, and count on the deck to provide just enough to win, without expecting to have a perfect answer to every situation.

And yes in early iterations I did have some single-shot small-scale draw/filtering cards - I found they tended to clog up my hand because I didn't have a clear goal for them. Say it's turn 4, I draw Preordain or whatever. My hand is a board wipe, a counter, 2 removal spells, and a land, pretty typical. I cast preordain and see a counterspell and a removal spell. Do I want those? Sure. What if it's a land and a board wipe? Do I want those? Sure. Value engine and telepathy? Sure. Because we have no proactive plan, our needs are too nebulous to get much value from filtering most of the time. And our densities are so high that it's pretty impossible to miss out on something important. If you need a way to destroy an enchantment or whatever, any given draw is practically a coin flip that you'll find a way to do it, and getting moreso all the time as we add more flexible answers to the deck. This isn't exactly a deck with a lot of moving parts. So while they weren't bad per se, I didn't see much utility in them and so they got weeded out over time.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
In that specific example playing Preordain is probably a mistake, in my opinion.
So then what would you do? I don't think it's an unusual situation. I think it's really normal tbh.

I will say that I like brainstorm quite a bit more than basically all other draw spells of that type because it's an instant. Tapping a blue mana on our own turn makes any sorcery-speed filtering spells significantly worse imo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

DirkGently wrote:
2 months ago
So then what would you do? I don't think it's an unusual situation. I think it's really normal tbh.

I will say that I like brainstorm quite a bit more than basically all other draw spells of that type because it's an instant. Tapping a blue mana on our own turn makes any sorcery-speed filtering spells significantly worse imo.
Hold onto it until I knew what I needed. Firing it off just because it's in your hand is somewhat like casting Mystical Tutor without a target in mind. Brainstorm is clearly the cream of the crop, no doubt, but Preordain/Ponder aren't that far behind it.

DirkGently

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
Hold onto it until I knew what I needed.
Yeah see I really don't like that. We don't necessarily know what we need until we need it, and a lot of the time that's not on our turn. Opponent casts expropriate, we counterspell, they counter our counter, we stare at our preordain and frown.

Of course the preordain wouldn't necessarily have been a counterspell, it could have been whatever, but I'd like to know what I'm working with. For example, if we've got extra artifact removal and someone is becoming somewhat threatening, we can fire off the artifact removal somewhat preemptively to slow them down knowing we still have backups. I'm just generally happy to roll with the punches of whatever my deck is giving me, rather than trying to sculpt something specific. I think that lets the deck play less predictably and threateningly, and it's something I think we should lean into further with the reduction of tutors.

This isn't just "a draw-go control deck with a durable wincon in the CZ". Politics is baked into the DNA of the deck and everything must be weighed against how it will be perceived by our opponents. To me, filtering cards and hmming and hawing over topdecks is very typical control deck behavior.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

kylep33

Post by kylep33 » 1 month ago

I think Teferi's Protection is a must include! a big thing ive realized in the deck is do nothing until you have to, and teferi's pro allows you to do nothing until the VERY last minute, whether its combat or combo related. then when every one else dies... its a 1v1 which is our strong suit. This is also why i play Evacuation .

one card ive been on the fence about... Wrong Turn . is a useless card once it becomes a 1v1, BUT it also allows me to give a strong card to an oppoent to help attack whoever is in lead etc... choices choices...

I also play a lot more MDFC's than other lists ive seen... I think the added flexability is HUGE, helps prevent flooding AND mana screw, and while the affects are huge and super powerful, cards like Khalni Ambush // Khalni Territory are just generally pretty good! (HIPPO FIGHT). I also like Jwari Disruption // Jwari Ruins people love to tap out LOL

also, one thing I value a lot is consistent land drops every turn... but not ramp. Playing 1 land each turn is not scary, bnut its incredibly powerful!

i do NOT play Farewell ... well because i really dont like the design of the card....

anyways here is my list let me know what you guys think!
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/59tw-v-180qR02Mytyucgg

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 month ago

I'm really hoping there's no strong payoff for crimes in Outlaws of Thunder Junction, considering how apparently our whole incentive engine is criminal under multiversal law. Wouldn't want people assuming we're up to no good :P
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 month ago

Obviously, it's not a one-to-one translation, but I found this YouTube video really interesting, and a lot of the concepts apply to the hippo.

All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

kylep33 wrote:
1 month ago
I think Teferi's Protection is a must include! a big thing ive realized in the deck is do nothing until you have to, and teferi's pro allows you to do nothing until the VERY last minute, whether its combat or combo related. then when every one else dies... its a 1v1 which is our strong suit. This is also why i play Evacuation .

one card ive been on the fence about... Wrong Turn . is a useless card once it becomes a 1v1, BUT it also allows me to give a strong card to an oppoent to help attack whoever is in lead etc... choices choices...

I also play a lot more MDFC's than other lists ive seen... I think the added flexability is HUGE, helps prevent flooding AND mana screw, and while the affects are huge and super powerful, cards like Khalni Ambush // Khalni Territory are just generally pretty good! (HIPPO FIGHT). I also like Jwari Disruption // Jwari Ruins people love to tap out LOL

also, one thing I value a lot is consistent land drops every turn... but not ramp. Playing 1 land each turn is not scary, bnut its incredibly powerful!

i do NOT play Farewell ... well because i really dont like the design of the card....

anyways here is my list let me know what you guys think!
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/59tw-v-180qR02Mytyucgg
I do think fogs can be a strong way to delay reacting, and I do like that Teferis (and some other fogs) let you protect only yourself while the rest of the table dies. Though of course that can be a doubled-edged sword.

Wrong Turn I'm going to be giving a spin. Being able to disable an enemy commander at instant-speed, especially in a way that doesn't incentivize them killing you to un-disable them, is high value (even if it's useless 1v1).

MDFCs are nice and I definitely agree about hitting land drops. I think Ondu Inversion // Ondu Skyruins and Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary are quite solid - less sold on jwari disruption and khalni ambush but obviously the cost to run is pretty low so they can't be awful.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 month ago
I'm really hoping there's no strong payoff for crimes in Outlaws of Thunder Junction, considering how apparently our whole incentive engine is criminal under multiversal law. Wouldn't want people assuming we're up to no good :P
Unless there's something like "Deal 1 damage for every crime you've committed this game" (oh god the tracking would be insane...) I don't see any real risk. If we get a good one and we play it, it can sit on board and then people know what it's going to do. I doubt there will be any risk of being seen as having ulterior motives.

Possibly we'll get something nice like a good piece of interaction that requires that we've crimed this turn. Anything more than that seems like a pipe dream tbh (Bonders' Enclave but only activates if you crimed?).

I doubt there will be any kind of unlimited crime payoff though, since cards like Shaman en-Kor exist.
Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
Obviously, it's not a one-to-one translation, but I found this YouTube video really interesting, and a lot of the concepts apply to the hippo.

Having a 70% winrate means other people were letting you win ;) (This is a joke based on another conversation)
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

kylep33

DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago

MDFCs are nice and I definitely agree about hitting land drops. I think Ondu Inversion // Ondu Skyruins and Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary are quite solid - less sold on jwari disruption and khalni ambush but obviously the cost to run is pretty low so they can't be awful.
even the MDFC's like Vastwood Fortification // Vastwood Thicket can increase the endgasme pheldegryf clock! Khalni Ambush // Khalni Territory , with our commander out, is a deal 4 damage which is cool, or just a tapped land which doesnt matter too too much ive found. and people LOVE to get greedy against Jwari Disruption // Jwari Ruins especially with X spells like Torment of Hailfire . and again, if need be, its just a land!

shorebot

Post by shorebot » 1 month ago

I've made the difficult decision to cut both Pulses from my list as well as Whispers of the Muse.

Tbh Pulse of the Grid was cut because I can't remember more than a couple of games where it was in a position to be a repeatable source of card advantage. So far, the clue lands have been working the way I wanted Pulse to work in my games.

Pulse of the Fields was cut for similar reasons. This archetype's threat level is often so low in my pods that I'm often still the player with the highest life total in the late stages of a game. Hence I'm also often at a position where it's not a repeatable source of life gain. The Shire has been an excellent replacement even if it's slower and more mana-intensive.
DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago
Having a 70% winrate means other people were letting you win ;) (This is a joke based on another conversation)
It's so bizarre how much fun this archetype is to pilot and how it could win games it shouldn't have. In my last game, I somehow never drew into a single CA source (apart from a BSZ which an opponent stole from me via an Emrakul trigger). Somehow I still won, and this was a game against an enchantress deck, a high power Kenrith goodstuff deck and that Eldrazi cascade commander with all the fast mana it can fit in it. I don't usually do politics, but saving someone from lethal via Maze of Ith allowed me to get into that sweet 1v1 where we thrive. I play in a couple of shops so no one really notices, but winrate definitely seems to be right around 70% if not higher lol.

kylep33

Final Showdown i think this is an instant include. strictly better than Rout

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

kylep33 wrote:
1 month ago
Final Showdown i think this is an instant include. strictly better than Rout
Not technically strictly better since Rout is castable on 5, but it's definitely a great new card for us. The thing I really like is the option to cast it as a Dress Down in a pinch. Could be just enough to disrupt a combo until it can be dealt with permanently.

Bovine Intervention...stupid name aside...is also definitely a contender.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 month ago

For Final Showdown - I haven't been more excited about a spell in a long time. Clearly not "strictly better" than a Rout or Cyclonic Rift but I've opined at length about just how key instant speed is on our wraths and the flexibility to use this as a Dress Down, upgrade it to be a Rout that also beats indestructible, or even really splurge on protecting our Hippo without having to hand out a card and bounce him is all really strong. Auto-include even if it's only say "5th best" wrath and legit in practice this might overtake everything but Rift and Verdict.

Bovine Intervention is also good, and for my money probably better than Get Lost and Fateful Absence.

We don't generally run creatures, and I won't be running this either, but I also gotta plug that Aven Interrupter is a very strong counterspell for decks that are less militant about running 0 creature spells. Beats uncounterable, forces them to wait at least one turn and as sorcery speed, and also randomly hoses flashback and "cast from exile" nonsense decks.

We're eating good out here in the wild wild west.

kylep33

Hawk wrote:
1 month ago
I've opined at length about just how key instant speed is on our wraths
I agree! its made me consider cards like March of Swirling Mist!
I initially just took out rout... but i think i would rather have the two inttant sped wipes and take something like... Hour of Revelation maybe?

shorebot

Post by shorebot » 1 month ago

I really like Final Showdown. Trying to find space for it right now.. I've been messing around with Foster as a one card jank wincon so it might get cut.

It deals with indestructible, shuffle Eldrazi, egregrious ward costs and some common combos at instant speed. Rout saved my ass so many times. This isn't an upgrade but having more redundancy is always a plus.

kylep33

Post by kylep33 » 5 days ago

Phyrexian Portal ... what an interesting card... a very telegraphed play, but it acts as a super fact or fiction. for 3 mana and the help from one opponent, we can get the perfect answer for scenarios. they can even put 10 cards in a pile and let us pick the best answer

But it is on board, and easily removed...
thoughts?

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 4 days ago

OTJ/OTC/BIG had some pretty solid stuff, I'll just do a quick rundown though I haven't gotten the chance to play any of them in this deck yet.

Three Steps Ahead is a decent counterspell variant. I've said I don't like value on my counterspells, but this has the baseline of Cancel so it's not that bad, you could fire it off for draw on turn 3 if you're missing land drops or whatever.

Final Showdown already been discussed but yeah, it's solid. I don't think it's wildly above par simply because one of the big upsides is that it saves one of your creatures, which isn't very important for us, and 6 mana for a wipe is only a little better than Rout or Fated Retribution. But the whole package I think makes it a solid option, if not amazing.

Bovine Intervention I think makes the cut, though again borderline. Artifact and creature are probably the 2 most important types, 2mv is nice, and the token is meaningless even compared to map tokens or clues or manifests or whatever the competing removal gives the opponent.

Stop Cold is a preeeetty effective piece of neutralization removal. It has flash, it prevents the creature from engaging in combat, removes all its abilities...can't really thing of any way to get around it outside of sacrifice or removing the enchantment, which is an issue for most of the neutralization removal. 4mv is a lot, but for neutralizing removal that's not necessarily a dealbreaker, especially since most other neutralizing removal lets it continue to attack/block which opens a lot more potential for escaping the trap. Honestly I kinda like it, might replace some of my cheaper, less complete neutralizers.

@kylep33

I have had a mental note on the card for ages as I think it's underrated (it would be difficult to be otherwise considering how few decks are running it). It's not something I would run in Phelddagrif - for one thing, I think it draws a lot of attention for how complicated it is, plus it's a reasonably strong repeatable CA source which could be intimidating while heading towards that 1v1. And the whole "being a nonland permanent" thing. But it's not a crazy choice. I do like the part where the opponent has control over what you get, but they don't have THAT much control over what you get. Even if you choose randomly, you have a 50/50 shot of getting exactly the card out of the top 10 you wanted.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”