MLD is awful

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Lmao I never said white needs to run it, just said white needs more creative paths from designers because much of what it it does best/is unique to is frowned upon and some of its effects (specially mentioned taxing) didny scale up with other bombs in the format

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
At BT2, you have the current ban list.
At BT3, you start banning things like tutors that don't go for a specific subset of lands (Going for basic lands, snow lands, or a land subtype like Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, Forest, Lair, Locus, or Gate.), MLD, and other choice cards of loathed strategies like Hermit Druid and Erayo, Soratami Ascendant // Erayo's Essence.
lol erayo is already banned my man. Has been for ages.
Brain fart. Trying to think of particularly annoying cards, bad memories of facing him. And I was thinking of the old "banned as a commander" thing and how he was legal at the time. I guess Knowledge Pool might be a better example. We know no one ever plays Knowledge Pool for anything other than Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir shenanigans, but it's not worthy of a ban.

But still, ban tiers could work.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
What would an MLD ban list look like?
Do we think about Wildfire et. al. or is that going too hard? :P I had exactly one experience with Wildfire Korvold, Fae-Cursed King and it was honestly enough, but not sure it's banworthy.
I have no love for wildfire but I don't think I'd ban it. It's only super effective when everyone is at 4 lands, which is pretty early and no one is likely to be super far ahead yet, people are more likely to have more lands in hand, etc.

I don't think I'd ban Fall of the Thran either. 6 mana makes it a lot harder to double-spell, and setting everyone to 4 is pretty fair imo, even if it's on a slow timer. To me, that's more what I think is an acceptable level of "I'm an aggro deck and need to slow everyone down so I can finish them off". Yes, you can pair it with removal to make it a full-land-clear but that's bordering on a 2-card-combo, and I think MLD is fair when it takes 2 specific (ish) cards.
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
What, like the ones guardman suggested in this subforum? I think I already made my feelings clear on that thread, but I really don't think that's a good idea.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
hyalopterouslemur wrote:
2 years ago
At BT2, you have the current ban list.
At BT3, you start banning things like tutors that don't go for a specific subset of lands (Going for basic lands, snow lands, or a land subtype like Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, Forest, Lair, Locus, or Gate.), MLD, and other choice cards of loathed strategies like Hermit Druid and Erayo, Soratami Ascendant // Erayo's Essence.
lol erayo is already banned my man. Has been for ages.
Brain fart. Trying to think of particularly annoying cards, bad memories of facing him. And I was thinking of the old "banned as a commander" thing and how he was legal at the time. I guess Knowledge Pool might be a better example. We know no one ever plays Knowledge Pool for anything other than Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir shenanigans, but it's not worthy of a ban.

It seems odd to say that Erayo isn't acceptable and has to be banned but all these other stasis and LD things are legal. I also don't think that Braids really deserves to be on the list. I get that the RC doesn't like looking at what is banned as reasons to ban another card but both of these cards seem really odd to ban when there are so many things just as miserable that are legal. I know its the whole "they can be commanders" but if you ever play against a Derevi, Empyrial Tactician stasis deck the tutors and quantity of annoying things he gets to run might as well make it the commander doing it.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
It seems odd to say that Erayo isn't acceptable and has to be banned but all these other stasis and LD things are legal

Derevi, Empyrial Tactician
erayo can be a commander.

Derevi isn't forced to play stax effects, Erayo just is one.

I used to have Derevi "tap effects tribal" deck and it was pretty fun. No one was that annoyed about it (except the Dismiss into Dream haters, :P). I don't want to tangent but I do agree Derevi should be banned (edit: or nerfed!), but more for her other ability to skirt commander tax

RadiantSophia
Pronoun: she / her

Post by RadiantSophia » 2 years ago

If you are going to get into "Ban tiers" you might as well just go all in on a point system. That would provide a better -this deck vs. that deck- comparison.

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

FWIW, Armageddon, Jokulhaups, Ravages of War, Obliterate and Decree of Annihilation are all in the top-10 on the Saltiest Cards list.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rules and Philosophy”