Let's get ugly with Ghired, Mirror of the Wilds - curing terminal EDH brain - dedicated to my buddy 3drinks

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 weeks ago

Okay, I know I rated Ghired, Mirror of the Wilds ugly on GBU (article's finished, just waiting to hear back on when it'll be put up), but considering how completely insane he looks, he is getting remarkably little hype on EDHrec. Ranked 14th in the set is crazy to me.

Still, I figured the decklist would be pretty straightforward - a bunch of cheap creatures + some solid on/above curve token production. Tap your team to make a bigger team of big tokens, start swinging for lethal within a couple turns. Easy peasy. I'm figuring some of the top cards are great 4-drop token production like Advent of the Wurm and The Elder Dragon War.

Nope! The most popular cards for the deck are all about creating token copies of other creatures you control...what? So you need to play some biggish, worth-copying creature, plus an expensive kiki-jiki variant, copy it, and THEN you start actually using Ghired's ability? Meanwhile Advent of the Wurm is showing up in 7 out of 177 decklists. Elder dragon war doesn't even appear.

This is EDHbrain run amok. The case is terminal. For once, I am team @3drinks - you don't need five levels of engines in order to win the game. You need to get into the %$#%$#% red zone. Ghired is already an insane engine on his own. He does not need a bunch of cute nonsense so you can make 12 copies of Elder Gargaroth or whatever. Just slam a Serra the Benevolent and start !@#$@#$ smashing face. Make them have a board wipe or make them dead.

So, now I feel compelled to build this guy to show what a good aggro deck looks like. Because Ghired is an incredible aggro commander.

Here's what I'm working with so far.
Ghired

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by DirkGently 1 week ago, edited 4 times in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 weeks ago

What happens when they do have the board wipe, or the spot removal for Ghired, and your field/hand is full of 1-drops and a couple french vanilla 4/4's? EDH brain has evolved to care about resiliency and more long term advantage at the expense of raw speed and power. That is kinda part of the spirit of the format. I'm not saying people are playing Ghired correctly, but I understand completely the want to prioritize getting an engine going rather than putting the foot on the gas and daring your opponents to have an answer. Because when they do, it just leads to a non-game for the pilot.
Last edited by PrimevalCommander 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 2 weeks ago

Pest Control wipes like 90% of your field. Any mass bounce spells set you way back.

If you're going to run anything with an attack trigger (like the myriad guys) you really want to pack some ways to grant haste. Why no token doublers? Sure, you have the ability to make multiple tokens a turn off Ghired's ability, but the acceleration from doubling all of those even once is going to help get under a wrath I think. Maybe not, since a lot of your token producers come in at 4+ mana and most (all?) of the token doublers are also 4+. Still, with how Ghired functions, you probably are looking at T1 creature, T2 creature, creature, or a token of some sort, T3 Ghired (copy a token if you've made one), T4 make a token and copy it 2-3 times. T5, you're doing what? Making another token? Playing some more dorks? Baseline, you're making the number of tokens you made on the previous turn, so 2-3. If you drop a doubler, that goes to 4-6. I'm not seeing any plays you have T5 that are better than this.

The deck has very little interaction of its own.

Ultimately, as someone who has been playing an OG Ghired deck for a few years now that is trying to play a big threat, copy it, and then make multiple copies of the token copy, yes, sometimes you get wrong-halved, although OG Ghired does fine on his own. That's more enjoyable than dumping random tokens on the field, making more of them, and attacking, and it opens up options for interaction or more dramatic increases in damage output than copying vanilla 4/4s and the like.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 weeks ago

It's really not a difficult concept. Sprinkle in some Decree of Justice/Secure the Wastes which are either game winning modes or enough to keep the pressure up and don't overextend. I think it's worth having some more basic repeatable token engines - even Sacred Mesa looks strong when you start cloning your dopey 1/1 flyers. I'd also consider the eternalize cards (I see timeless dragon already, but Timeless Witness would do well here too). You'd probably do a lot of good with a Mitotic Slime to keep that loop going in perpetuity as well.

You probably should be on Dual Nature here as one of the few places that it makes sense in. That's sweet.

Overall I find this commander niche as it is, it's a specialty within a specialty when you could just play tokens and smash. I kinda like old Ghired, Conclave Exile more since it brings a friend to play at it's base level, so it's not exactly a prime removal target. Also, just populate is better than this "clone a token that was made this turn" effect. So maybe some Trostani, Selesnya's Voice is worthwhile here or something.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

yeti1069

I fogot the "made this turn" part. You definitely need more repeatable token makers. Rionya, Fire Dancer, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Duke Ulder Ravengard, are going to provide a new token every turn to be copying, as can any of the various populate trigger permanents.

DirkGently

PrimevalCommander wrote:
2 weeks ago
What happens when they do have the board wipe, or the spot removal for Ghired, and your field/hand is full of 1-drops and a couple french vanilla 4/4's?
Yes, aggro is weak to board wipes. But if they don't have it, they die. You can't win them all, but that's not the goal - the goal is to win more than they do.

Anyway I think I'm running basically all of the good protective creatures that block either spot removal and wipes to hedge as much as I can. There are also a decent number of token producers that survive creature wipes (planeswalkers etc).
EDH brain has evolved to care about resiliency and more long term advantage at the expense of raw speed and power.
I don't really see how kiki-jiki in this context is any less vulnerable to a wipe. I guess he grants haste? I wouldn't mind having more haste enablers though I'm not sure which ones would actually be good here. Maybe Hammer of Purphoros.
I understand completely the want to prioritize getting an engine going
Ghired is already an engine, and a powerful one.
Because when they do, it just leads to a non-game for the pilot.
I thought it was obvious but maybe I should clarify - Currently I'm just looking at tokens and small utility dorks that can use Ghired's ability with the cards I currently have up. I will likely also want cards that do other things like drawing, tutoring, and other forms of longer-term value. Though as much as possible I'd like those cards to also be useful to the short game. Dragonmaster Outcast is a perfect example of a card that fires on all cylinders here.
yeti1069 wrote:
2 weeks ago
Pest Control wipes like 90% of your field. Any mass bounce spells set you way back.
Why would I build my deck around a brand new card that (in my estimation) won't even see play in this format?

The only mass-bounce spell I see frequently is rift, and this deck could very easily kill someone, if not multiple people, before they have rift mana online. How would you want me to hedge against rift, anyway?

Anyway, we're playing aggro. If they have it they have it. If they don't we win. And as far as aggro decks go, Ghired does provide a lot of threat with pretty minimal resources if you're forced to rebuild.
If you're going to run anything with an attack trigger (like the myriad guys) you really want to pack some ways to grant haste.
I don't disagree with that. Maybe Lightning Mauler, or one of the 1-drops like Goblin Motivator? There are some lands that can also provide that utility (though pretty slow for this sort of deck).
Why no token doublers? Sure, you have the ability to make multiple tokens a turn off Ghired's ability, but the acceleration from doubling all of those even once is going to help get under a wrath I think. Maybe not, since a lot of your token producers come in at 4+ mana and most (all?) of the token doublers are also 4+. Still, with how Ghired functions, you probably are looking at T1 creature, T2 creature, creature, or a token of some sort, T3 Ghired (copy a token if you've made one), T4 make a token and copy it 2-3 times. T5, you're doing what? Making another token? Playing some more dorks? Baseline, you're making the number of tokens you made on the previous turn, so 2-3. If you drop a doubler, that goes to 4-6. I'm not seeing any plays you have T5 that are better than this.
I might decide they're worthwhile, but currently I see a couple possible curves. We start with a 1-drop, ideally 2 1-drops on 2, ghired on three. From there, we could make a 4-mana token and copy it 3-4 times, and then do the same thing on 5. Or, we play the doubler on 4 and then make twice as many tokens on 5. Same number of cards etc. But in the second sequence, we've missed an attack step with ~20 power. And if we draw the doubler with no token production, we've got nothing, whereas if we draw 1 token producer without a second one, we're fine.

Sure, if the game drags on the doubler gives us more long-term value, but we're swinging for 20 damage on turn 5, why are we playing for the long game?
The deck has very little interaction of its own.
See above - this is just the token production element of the deck I'm focusing on. Though likely it will be low-interaction because it is an aggro deck.
Ultimately, as someone who has been playing an OG Ghired deck for a few years now that is trying to play a big threat, copy it, and then make multiple copies of the token copy, yes, sometimes you get wrong-halved, although OG Ghired does fine on his own. That's more enjoyable than dumping random tokens on the field, making more of them, and attacking, and it opens up options for interaction or more dramatic increases in damage output than copying vanilla 4/4s and the like.
Old Ghired is much slower than the new version, and with a much lower ceiling, so I would expect a deck built around him to focus more on building up engines and longer-term value. I don't think that says much about what we're doing here, though.
3drinks wrote:
2 weeks ago
It's really not a difficult concept.
What is "it"?
Sprinkle in some Decree of Justice/Secure the Wastes which are either game winning modes or enough to keep the pressure up and don't overextend.
I don't see the point in running those cards since copying 1/1s is not making good use of Ghired's ability, when it could be copying 5/5s.

Unless you mean hardcasting decree, in which case I just think we have more efficient options.
I think it's worth having some more basic repeatable token engines - even Sacred Mesa looks strong when you start cloning your dopey 1/1 flyers.
That's why I'm running cards like Nissa, Ascended Animist - I'd much rather copy a 6/6 than a 1/1.
I'd also consider the eternalize cards (I see timeless dragon already, but Timeless Witness would do well here too).
Yeah that one isn't bad. Kinda slow but a pretty huge late-game play.
You'd probably do a lot of good with a Mitotic Slime to keep that loop going in perpetuity as well.
Don't think it really goes "in perpetuity" - once it dies the first time and I copy the 2/2s a couple times, I can't go back up the chain and get a 4/4 again (or any new 2/2s after the first turn of copying them). And I can't reliably get the 2/2s either unless I run sac outlets (which I don't think I need).

I do see value in having a wipe-protected token, but a 2/2 isn't very much pressure.
You probably should be on Dual Nature here as one of the few places that it makes sense in. That's sweet.
Seems kinda dicey since it could backfire pretty easily. Anyway I'm not trying to run a bunch of really powerful creatures - the point is that they're tiny replaceable dorks who mostly exist just to use Ghired's ability. I'd rather make more copies of Advent of the Wurm than Selfless Savior.
Overall I find this commander niche as it is
I don't really understand what that means. I'd call a card "niche" because it goes into few decks, but Ghired IS a deck. Do you mean he isn't very versatile? I dunno, considering how much my list differs from EDHrec - and from suggestions I'm getting here, including from you - that doesn't seem to be true. Seems like people have a lot of different ideas about how he should be built.
you could just play tokens and smash.
I don't think Advent of the Wurm gets there on its own. I think you kinda need some synergy to make the damage numbers big enough. You could play anthems and cheap tokens instead, but that's just a different version of a similar strategy, so I'm not sure why that would be "just playing tokens and smashing" if this isn't?
I kinda like old Ghired, Conclave Exile more since it brings a friend to play at it's base level, so it's not exactly a prime removal target.
It also costs 5 and has a much lower ceiling.

Definitely there's a threat of Ghired getting removed, as there is for most commanders, but that's why I'm running a bunch of protective dorks (which in this case have the double utility of making tokens).
Also, just populate is better than this "clone a token that was made this turn" effect.
Yes, populate is strictly more powerful than what Ghired's ability does (aside from being unable to copy non-creature tokens), but show me a 3-mana commander with haste that gives "tap: populate" to all your nontoken creatures. OG Ghired costs 5, lacks haste, and can only populate on his own.
So maybe some Trostani, Selesnya's Voice is worthwhile here or something.
Trostani could be okay as a longer-term play. Once you populate a token, Ghired's ability to be used to copy it with all your other dudes. Seems pretty slow for a deck like this, though. I'd be more interested in something like Determined Iteration. Actually, now I think about it, that should 100% be in the deck.
yeti1069 wrote:
2 weeks ago
I fogot the "made this turn" part. You definitely need more repeatable token makers. Rionya, Fire Dancer, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Duke Ulder Ravengard, are going to provide a new token every turn to be copying, as can any of the various populate trigger permanents.
Ideally we only need to make 1-2 initial tokens before we kill everyone, so repeatable engines shouldn't be super important. Those options in particular I'm pretty low on since they're expensive and don't make good tokens inherently. But the aforementioned Determined Iteration could be a reasonable inclusion as a cheap way to keep the party going.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

yeti1069

DirkGently wrote:
2 weeks ago
Why would I build my deck around a brand new card that (in my estimation) won't even see play in this format?
Ok, Culling Ritual then, which I see somewhat regularly. The protection creatures help, but that will depend upon sequencing.
Ideally we only need to make 1-2 initial tokens before we kill everyone, so repeatable engines shouldn't be super important. Those options in particular I'm pretty low on since they're expensive and don't make good tokens inherently. But the aforementioned Determined Iteration could be a reasonable inclusion as a cheap way to keep the party going.
Let's say you make 1 token, and copy it 4 times. You have 20 power +Ghired and some dorks on board. Without any other tokens that's 6 turns to kill the table at best.
2 tokens, could be 40 power, or a little more. 3 turns to kill the table with a clearly threatening board. I can't see banking on a lack of answers as the game plan.

Hate Mirage is a fun card.

As for haste, you absolutely want mass haste here. Maybe even Concordant Crossroads/Mass Hysteria--what's the point of making a bunch of big tokens on your turn if you can't swing with any of them for a turn cycle?

By the way, I think ignoring the ability to copy noncreature tokens is a little bit of a mistake here. You could play 1- or 2- drops that make a treasure on ETB. Early game, those are ramp pieces like the mana dorks, except you are happy to tap them to copy stuff instead of having to choose between the copying ability or producing mana. Later, they can help setup big turns.

You could also be copying impactful noncreatures for big effects.
This is a decent place for Red Sun's Twilight
For a slower deck, Wedding Ring would be pretty amazing.
Yenna, Redtooth Regent can probably do some ridiculous stuff when you're able to make multiple copies of an enchantment at a time.

DirkGently

yeti1069 wrote:
2 weeks ago
Ok, Culling Ritual then, which I see somewhat regularly. The protection creatures help, but that will depend upon sequencing.
Interesting, Don't think I've seen it. Maybe once or twice, idk. Not recently.

Anyway unless your meta is really weird I think the broader consideration is board wipes in general. Which the protective creatures and repeatable token generation like planeswalkers are the best answer to, from where I'm sitting. Other suggestions are welcome ofc.
Let's say you make 1 token, and copy it 4 times. You have 20 power +Ghired and some dorks on board. Without any other tokens that's 6 turns to kill the table at best.
2 tokens, could be 40 power, or a little more. 3 turns to kill the table with a clearly threatening board. I can't see banking on a lack of answers as the game plan.
Critically, you kill the first opponent in 1-2 turns, though. So you focus on the person who is most likely to disrupt your gameplan to reduce the odds of being disrupted. Yes, aggro is at a major disadvantage in commander, but the fact that we're as powerful as we are is a testament to how insane Ghired is.

Also maybe worth pointing out that some token producers (like Thousand Moons Smithy // Barracks of the Thousand which is insaaaaaaane) can put more than 20 power into play in a turn.

Again, I've got all the protective creatures and all the good repeatable token production I could find. If you have a better plan or some cards I missed, let's hear it.
Hate Mirage is a fun card.
Not a bad idea. I'm not sure how often the biggest enemy creature is better than a 4/4 with evasion. Of course sometimes a utility dork could be worthwhile.

Of note (since I just learned how this works) copies of the tokens will not have haste. The same is true for token copies of those made by Jaxis, the Troublemaker and similar cards. Copies of Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker's tokens do have haste, however.
As for haste, you absolutely want mass haste here. Maybe even Concordant Crossroads/Mass Hysteria--what's the point of making a bunch of big tokens on your turn if you can't swing with any of them for a turn cycle?
It's definitely a reasonable consideration. Those fall outside the cards I'm looking at for this section of the deck, though.
By the way, I think ignoring the ability to copy noncreature tokens is a little bit of a mistake here. You could play 1- or 2- drops that make a treasure on ETB. Early game, those are ramp pieces like the mana dorks, except you are happy to tap them to copy stuff instead of having to choose between the copying ability or producing mana. Later, they can help setup big turns.
I'd hope to have better copy targets than treasure tbh. And since I'm not planning on copying treasure, I'm less interested in plays that want treasure in order to setup a "big turn".

Conceptually if there was a 1-drop that made a treasure on etb, I'd be interested, but at 2 mana for etb (or 1 mana but they have to die) I'm kinda meh on them. Relatedly, I did forget to add in Thraben Inspector and his clone. I think those fit into a reasonable spot since they can fit into our perfect curve while giving us draw later if we run out of gas, or a big draw if we have nothing better to do and draw them on a later turn.

I could imagine an alternative version of this deck where the plan is to make treasures first, then make a big turn when you enable haste and a big token and swing, but I don't think the extra power you'd get from a turn like that is likely to be worth the inconsistency of having a more complex game plan.
You could also be copying impactful noncreatures for big effects.
Sure, in principle. I don't really see good options though.
This is a decent place for Red Sun's Twilight
Considered it but I think I'm unlikely to get better than some extra mana rocks, which, meh.
For a slower deck, Wedding Ring would be pretty amazing.
Doesn't work, you need to control the token for Ghired to copy it. Would be funny though.
Yenna, Redtooth Regent can probably do some ridiculous stuff when you're able to make multiple copies of an enchantment at a time.
But which enchantments am I going to include that are good enough in the very-high-likelihood that I don't draw Yenna? I doubt there are enough of them to justify running Yenna.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 1 week ago

Okay I've got an initial decklist up.

It's currently very very curve focused, tons of 1-drops to maximize the odds that we hit a quad-copy on turn 4. Curve is low enough that I'm not even running sol ring because we have so little need for colorless mana, which is kinda wild.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”