Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 3 weeks ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Sweet lord we get the closest thing we'll ever see to Cataclym in the command zone and it's not only tribal but also a pun? End my suffering please.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 weeks ago

Lifeless wrote:
3 weeks ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Sweet lord we get the closest thing we'll ever see to Cataclym in the command zone and it's not only tribal but also a pun? End my suffering please.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
How's Ajani a pun?
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 weeks ago

5colorsrainbow wrote:
3 weeks ago
Lifeless wrote:
3 weeks ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
How's Ajani a pun?
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Cat themed card ult is more or less "Cat"aclysm

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 weeks ago

Lifeless wrote:
3 weeks ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
3 weeks ago
Lifeless wrote:
3 weeks ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
How's Ajani a pun?
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Cat themed card ult is more or less "Cat"aclysm
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Oh, maybe thats the pun, but I felt like its meant to be a call back to Ajani, Vengeant ultimate being a kind of board wipe as this card is basically a second card of Ajani during Alara.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 3 weeks ago

Funny that the one that generated comments was the one officially spoiled and not the leaks

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 weeks ago

Man I like all of those and I'm a simp for flipwalkers I guess

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 weeks ago

Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
These things are so absurdly mana efficient. Like honestly wtf. Not really as much of an issue for commander, I know, but it's just crazy to me that we have a 2-drop with 3 power and toughness spread across two bodies with upside on top of upside on top of upside. A 1-drop that basically says you have unlimited clues. I have some serious concerns about MH3 in terms of power level.

That said, cards is cards, so here's my takes.

Ajani (already known ofc) is absurd on the front side in 1v1, but in commander completely uninteresting. Back side...cat tribal is awful especially without green, so his +2 kinda sucks until you use his 0 a couple times. The ult is decent but c'mon, comparing it to cataclysm is ridiculous - cataclysm that doesn't hit lands is no cataclysm. Plus it's kinda easy to see coming out of the CZ so people can play around it. The 0 is completely bonkers for a 2-drop, so that's where I'd consider the bread-and-butter value of the card, but tbf in commander it's not likely to be game-winning or anything. If you have so many creatures that it IS game-winning, I think you could have just gone to combat to win instead. More often I think it's annoying as a repeatable creature removal, which is strong but in 4p not game-winning. So I think overall it's strong, but unlikely to just run away with a game.

Tamiyo is honestly pretty strong on the front side. Just make clues all day seems fine. Flipping is pretty easy - Brainstorm does it immediately, or you can just crack 2 clues on 4. +2 is good for keeping her alive but, in commander, not super impactful. -3 is...well. time magic exists and ruins everything so...bleh. Ult is pretty win-the-game-ish. Overall she's probably the strongest, even if her + isn't all that great. Her front side is very strong, flips for doing something you wanted to do anyway, and her - and ult both have game-winning potential.

Sorin seems comparatively fair. Front side is pretty weak so you probably want to flip. + is pretty crap. ult is surprisingly weak. - seems like the main value. Use a bunch of lifegain and then nuke someone. Of course we already have Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose, who can go infinite, but Sorin adds white which is a big advantage. I'm sure it'll see play but it's not crazy scary.

Ral is weird because he's almost better on the front side. His + is just continuing to have that ability. His - is underwhelming for commander but at least it gives you a card in a pinch (though spellslinger might have the hardest time with the color requirement). Ult is...fine...I mean, it could win the game, but the most reliable way to flip him seems like it'd be casting a bunch of cheap cantrips and flipping him, but then you probably hit a bunch of air off the ult. And since his + is a +1 and his ult is a -8, good luck getting there if you flip him with 3 counters. Seems like a pretty vanilla spellslinger commander. One interesting note - when you go to flip him, if you're going to cast a bunch of spells that turn, cast your sorceries first and decline to flip, then hold priority and cast all your instants in response to casting your last sorcery. That way you'll get a counter for every spell, without the risk (or at least, a much smaller risk) that you'll whiff and miss the flip after declining earlier in the turn (when you'd cast fewer spells).

Grist is probably my favorite. The front half looks like a reasonable magic card instead of insane MH nonsense. Flipping him takes a reasonable amount of effort. Back half is pretty neat. His + is strong but fair, the dt counter is unreliable - guess you want a black-heavy build. - is good utility. ult is strong but definitely needs some setup, which I definitely prefer to "just win the game" ults like Tamiyo. Probably the one I'm most likely to build.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 3 weeks ago

Flip Grist is even better than OG Grist for Zask, Skittering Swarmlord. I wasn't really planning on that deck becoming a staple, but I keep finding new cards and new cpoilers I want to add to it, which is the sign of a deck with longevity, so we'll see.

As for playing them in the CZ, I think not-tribal Ajani is pretty strong honestly, just +0 every turn to build your board while keeping your opponents down. Win with Goblin Bombardment or get enough cat tokens that the +1 becomes a problem.

Tamiyo might be better, but it's Simic YAWN

Sorin is really weak, but he's Extort in the CZ, which I believe is new? Extort has always played way better than it read, so honestly, getting it on a 2 drop in the CZ alone might be worth brewing

Ral is both bad and Izzet, DOUBLE YAWN

Grist might be ok in the CZ. I do like the idea of having a guaranteed t1 play every game.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 weeks ago

Well very very surprising

Satoru, the Infiltrator card just became the chase one just seconds after release

(It went for $8 to $20 in just one day.)

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 3 weeks ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 weeks ago

Satoru, the Infiltrator card just became the chase one just seconds after release

I just got one on TCG for about $6. Were you looking at a different version?

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 weeks ago

yeti1069 wrote:
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago

Nope

https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/109392 ... nfiltrator

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 3 weeks ago

3 weeks ago
yeti1069 wrote:
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago

Nope

https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/109392 ... nfiltrator
I'm not familiar with that site, nor how to read it, but the market price looks like $5-6. What is the average price of nearly $20 representing? Did someone just buy some copies for a ridiculous rate? Is it counting the Wanted poster version ($25) in that average? The promo pack version?

I'm not all that sophisticated when it comes to finance, or Magic finance, but TCGPlayer is showing Satoru for $5-6 basically across the board for the regular printing.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 weeks ago

……..hold on to your butts boys.

Last edited by CommanderMaster999 2 weeks ago, edited 3 times in total.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 2 weeks ago

2 weeks ago
……..hold on to your butts boys.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Someone at WotC heard my perpetual complaint about no Godsire reprint and decided to taunt me with Ulamog's Dreadsire. 10/10 vigilance ward for 10 that taps to make 10/10s? Seems hilarious, but it can't be hit off Bag of Tricks or Natural Order D:

CommanderMaster999

…another one

A Island version of Magus of the Moon

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 weeks ago

2 weeks ago
…another one

A Island version of Magus of the Moon
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Why though...

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 weeks ago

@cheonice to try to make Merfolk have a fighting chance in Modern is my guess

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 weeks ago

The portrait art showcase cards always make me laugh. I'm not sure if that's the intended reaction. The merfolk on the other hand is just great.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 weeks ago

That Goyf-matters legendary has a wacky ability, and it even makes Tarmogoyf tokens!
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 2 weeks ago

Magus of the blue seems a lot worse than magus of the Moon, at least in traditional uses. The extra blue pip means you can't turbo it out with solands, and blue is just a more common color than red, so more decks can just ignore the effect.

However, it is a merfolk, so maybe that will tip the scales and make it playable in modern merfolk? Kind of doubt it though.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 weeks ago

I can't read any of these. Can someone with better eyes/resolution tell me what any of these MH3 generals do?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 weeks ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I wonder if a madman will brew something with it and Boil

CommanderMaster999

Holy moly
(Yes the other four medallians are here too.)

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 weeks ago

Ooo, they're finally doing 'multicolor' with C. They still refuse to unmoor C from the Eldrazi, but it's interesting, at least.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”