Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

We can't reprint Black Lotus but what if we made it an equipment instead?

Lotus Ring
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 month ago

Omenpath Journey looks fun. I'll probably test it in Tasigur and Vaevictis - the former likes ramp that's still relevant even after I pull all the basics out of my deck, and the latter likes permanents that generate more permanents. Somewhat slow, but at least it's faster than Venture Forth. Would be better if I were running Field of the Dead / other spicy utility lands to fetch, but even just fetching a pile of fixing lands seems alright.

Esoteric Duplicator can do some silly things. Personally, I'm amused by the (very slow) value engine of just paying 4 every turn to sacrifice it, draw a card, and make a copy. Obviously brutal with Mindslaver and plenty of other cards.

Memory Vessel is a fixed Memory Jar. I'm sure someone will try to break it, although not being able to cast spells from hand sharply limits potential to use it as a storm / combo enabler. Maybe some sort of Ruby Medallion storm deck with every Act on Impulse effect? More of a Legacy thing though.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 month ago

If I'm running a large fetch suite, I think I'd rather use Undergrowth Recon over Omenpath Journey.

Not sure if Esoteric Duplicator means we have never needed a Krark-Clan Ironworks reprint so badly or if the latter needs to be banned for eternity. I am very tired of token copies overall.

I love Memory Vessel as a control card for a cycle. That and Collector's Cage are both getting a shot in Pia Nalaar, Consul of Revival. The latter is begging to be abused, so I am not sure that's the best deck for it.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 month ago

the big score cards feel like a taste of the next modern horizons set... pushed, replete with references to old broken cards and forgotten keywords

Bristlebud Farmer - another ranger tagged Druid. preparing to write ten thousand words on the subject of druids being the most tortured creature type >:3
Pest Control - great card, ABSOLUTELY required with all the token gen they've been leaning into. I forgive anyone who tutors for this and makes the board readable again!

I kinda want like
Musician's License 2
Artifact
3bb, Sacrifice Musician's License: Search target opponent's library for all cards with the word "create" in their rules text and exile them. Then, that opponent shuffles their library.

Mr_Webman

Post by Mr_Webman » 1 month ago

Lost Jitte - I was wondering when they were gonna make a "fixed" version of Umezawa's Jitte. I honestly can't decide though if this new version is good or not. 1 to cast and 1 to equip is very appealing, but only getting one charge counter per combat is muuuuch worse. Even just 2 combats can technically make the card essentially free, though.

Pest Control - Very pushed, very good card. Will see play across multiple formats, including here. It also has cycling in case it wasn't good enough. Many of my decks fall apart to this card, and I may have to reevaluate how many mana dorks I use in the future. It's that good.
Known as TheGodOfWar91 on MTGSalvation

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 month ago

Important note on the jitte it's fetchable with Urza's Saga

Pest control: that's like 100% usuable in eternal especially here the cycling makes it so you can use it in any deck involving orzhov colors (basically if your not in a stand off against a token deck nor a Cedh deck with a bunch of 0 or 1 rocks. You can just cycle it)

Tarantion: for those wondering the second ability taps for the colors among monocolored permanents you have so maximum power is tapping for what Crystal Quarry can tap for. So if your not doing to many muticolor cards nor colorless slam dunk in all decks 3-colors and up

Uncle_Krupi
Snow Creature—Human Scientist

Post by Uncle_Krupi » 1 month ago

I mean, Lost Jitte is a fixed Umezawa's Jitte so of course it won't be as good. But I think it's just apples and oranges anyhow given the different abilities. I can see myself running Lost Jitte in a proliferate deck (will be playtesting it in Jenny Flint and Madame Vastra, especially because they love their Trinket Mage targets), but ovrall it just feels like a disappointing thing to topdeck in the late game: either your creature is big enough to survive blocks -- in which case you would have preferred a Shadowspear -- or it isn't in which case doing suicide runs for one charge counter just doesn't feel worth it. I'll be sticking with Umezawa's and Pip-Boy 3000 thanks.

TessaMTG
Arbiter of +1/+1 Counters
Pronoun: she / her

Post by TessaMTG » 1 month ago

If Nissa and Chandra are the "Gruulfriends", then would Jace and Vraska be the "Sultwo"?
I love Tchotchke Elemental. And as always: wear your seatbelt, tear up your friend's mill deck, and buh-bye. (Please don't actually tear up your friend's mill deck, no matter how annoying it is.)

Check out the LGBTAPQ+ People Place!
My Custom Planeswalkers
Custom Horizons 1
Good Kid (really good indie rock band also they play MTG)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

Jitte is interesting. Not insane, but I think it shows how crap Pip-Boy 3000 is by having a comparable effect at half the equip cost. It's so much easier to curve into and move around.

Tarnation Vista seems really solid outside of cEDH. Lots of decks can get 2-3 mana out of it by the midgame and the floor is respectable.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

TessaMTG wrote:
1 month ago
If Nissa and Chandra are the "Gruulfriends", then would Jace and Vraska be the "Sultwo"?
I do believe this a CoC violation :P
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 month ago

Generous Plunderer seems good for Éowyn, Shieldmaiden. It serves as artifact hate and can be used politically.

It's also really good with Mycosynth Lattice.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

CommanderMaster999

Fomori value: oh that's a forever staple in artifact or colorless decks period. I need to cut a land for this in my Urtet, Remnant of Memnarch deck if the price is not a kidney

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 month ago

Yeah geeze Fomori Vault is cracked.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

Kinda makes me want to drege up that Thrasios, Triton Hero + Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith landfall deck and dig with my rocks :D

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 month ago

What am I missing about Pest Control?

Hidetsugu Consumes All // Vessel of the All-Consuming has been legal for years. Obviously the cards aren't 1 to 1 comparisons, but Pest Control seems only marginally better once you weigh all the pros and cons of each.

Seems to be a fine card, but nothing crazy.

but that's just my $0.02 and I am comically bad at evaluating cards.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

pokken

I think Pest Control probably has some kinda modern applications or something. kills Delver of Secrets // Insectile Aberration and stuff too I guess? and rhino tokens from Crashing Footfalls ?

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 month ago

pokken wrote:
1 month ago
I think Pest Control probably has some kinda modern applications or something. kills Delver of Secrets // Insectile Aberration and stuff too I guess? and rhino tokens from Crashing Footfalls ?
Sure, modern and legacy will probably play with this card, the same way those formats have dabbled with Hidetsugu Consumes All // Vessel of the All-Consuming. I just don't see it being anything more then a cool tech piece for a couple orzhov decks in token-heavy metas.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

MAGUSZANIN

Post by MAGUSZANIN » 1 month ago

pokken wrote:
1 month ago
This is precisely my read on it. Interesting hate card against the meta in older formats..... and worth basically nothing in Commander. At most it's a hate card against tokens, but you are already in White and Black. By the time the Tokens players have put enough in play to want to bother using this, just cast an actual Wrath which also hits everything that isn't a token?

Uncle_Krupi

Holy frijoles, this card goes in three, maybe four of my decks. Insanely value-heavy body for the cost. Essentially Angel of Glory's Rise #2 in human rebels, grabs enchantments as well as creatures for Opal-Eye and Narset. I really hope the price on this guy will be reasonable.

angel of indemnity.jpg

CommanderMaster999

Uncle_Krupi wrote:
1 month ago
Holy frijoles, this card goes in three, maybe four of my decks. Insanely value-heavy body for the cost. Essentially Angel of Glory's Rise #2 in human rebels, grabs enchantments as well as creatures for Opal-Eye and Narset. I really hope the price on this guy will be reasonable.

angel of indemnity.jpg
OH MY GOSH! I easily need to make room in my Garth One-Eye flicker deck for this

oh by the way its gonna be riot for the desert bloom deck all because of 2 little reprints

how do you feel about Ancient Greenwarden and Oracle of Mul Daya as reprints?

pokken

Angel is pretty legit, probably finds a home in ephara since it can bring back Felidar Retreat :D annnd Ephara if she gets Shadowspear'd. And it wombocombos with Fleeting Spirit

Not sure what the cut is but big lifelinking fliers are really nice in control shells :D

Uncle_Krupi

pokken wrote:
1 month ago
And it wombocombos with Fleeting Spirit
Can you explain this one to me?

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
What am I missing about Pest Control?
I think Cycling is extremely good.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 month ago

MAGUSZANIN wrote:
1 month ago
pokken wrote:
1 month ago
This is precisely my read on it. Interesting hate card against the meta in older formats..... and worth basically nothing in Commander. At most it's a hate card against tokens, but you are already in White and Black. By the time the Tokens players have put enough in play to want to bother using this, just cast an actual Wrath which also hits everything that isn't a token?
You can cycle it if it's not a great play, but it can take out Sol Ring, Mana Crypt,Mana Vault, Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer, Esper Sentinel, mystic remora, Mirri's Guile, and Carpet of Flowers.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 month ago

NOOOO Kirri, Talented Sprout why aren't you Golgari :cry:
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

sand scout is one hell of an upgrade on Knight of the White Orchid. I guess it does put the land into play tapped, but still.

embrace the unknown is pretty spicy for a new retrace spell. Retrace is a really strong mechanic with basically no good cards. This might be the best one?

Thunderclap Drake seems pretty nutty. The front half is already very playable and then the back half could be game winning. Plus hey, it pecks in for 2 sometimes.

I like Eris, Roar of the Storm as a Jori En, Ruin Diver that actually provides a game plan instead of just generating incremental CA.

Forger's Foundry is also pretty strong, lot of upside for a 3mv rock.

tower winder looks like a worse Baleful Strix but still decent.

heartless conscription - gonti getting reposted to r/im14andthisisdeep

arcane heist is an impressive upgrade to Memory Plunder for the right deck.

The angel looks...fine.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”