[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

See, I can get behind those. We both have a grudge against %$#%-up hands.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
See, I can get behind those. We both have a grudge against %$#% hands.
sadly these sleeves are out of stock

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

If anyone is in Minneapolis for Magiccon Message me as I'd love to say hi when at the hall.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

So my LGS had their first ever Pioneer FNM tonight. It was also my first ever time playing Pioneer. It was fun, though funnily enough, the person who was pushing for Pioneer FNM wasn't even there due to having something come up. And while I do say it was fun, that was mostly because outside of one player playing Lotus Field combo who won the whole thing, the rest of the decks were Tier 2 and lower that tried to win via "fair" magic for the most part.

I played Jeskai Knights since it was cheap to build since I already had the mana base (outside of Inspiring Vantage which I could've swore I had a playset). It was a fun deck in that it could pretty consistently win on turn 4. The best comparison is probably is the deck plays like Merfolk in that almost every creature is some sort of lord effect and it can make most of its creatures unblockable for a turn if needed. It even has a [cardMarshal of Zhalfir]lord[/card] that can tap things down now. Ended up going 2-1.

Round 1 - Played against a UB Day's Undoing / Narset, Parter of Veils control. Game 1 I win the die roll and overwhelm him before he can set up. Game 2, he wipes my board and is able to counter/kill most of my creatures, but I sideboarded in an Archangel Elspeth. It resolves and two turns later I am threatening to ultimate it and return every creature from my graveyard. Archangel Elspeth is a great white-based sideboard card against control. WIN 2-0.

Round 2 - Played against Lotus Field combo. Lose die roll. He mulls to five and then kills me on turn 4. If I was on the play, I would've killed him on turn 4. Sideboard in some Alpine Moon and other stuff for cards that don't really do anything in the match-up. Game 2 I keep a somewhat risky hand that has the potential for a turn 4 kill, but no hate pieces. End up not drawing lands or hate pieces and he kills me again on turn 4. LOSE 0-2.

Round 3 - Up against Lutri, the Spellchaser Mono-Red Equipment. It was built real quick by combining some Commander decks since the guy didn't realize it was Pioneer tonight. Game 1 I steamroll him as he drew a lot of Equipment but no creatures after a mulligan. Game 2 I keep a two lander with the hope of drawing a land in my first three draws. I don't and he kills me with a giant Lizard Blades carrying a ton of Equipment. Game 3, Lords for days as I start with Fervent Champion into either a Marshal of Zhalfir or Inspiring Veteran every turn the rest of the game which he can't deal with. WIN 2-0.

End up getting second overall. Hopefully my LGS will do it again sometime as Pioneer was a nice change of pace, though I did change my sideboard to add two Damping Sphere and a second Rip Apart for three Tormod's Crypt when I got home since there seems to be zero dedicated graveyard decks there.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I wish I had the time to play Magic at all these days. I'm finally going tomorrow for some Commander. I wish I could try some Pioneer. I've got a lot of the pieces since I've been playing so long. But alas, being a parent uses most of my time.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Thinking of buying a huge stack of You Are Already Deads to autograph and give to people before I beat them.

EDIT: Actually it's better to have them sign the back before the game and before I reveal what the card is.

Hermes_

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Thinking of buying a huge stack of You Are Already Deads to autograph and give to people before I beat them.

EDIT: Actually it's better to have them sign the back before the game and before I reveal what the card is.
:thinking:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago

My usual gimmick is to get especially fun, novel, and/or worthy opponents to sign my playmat. My old one is basically a sharpied out rag with very little real estate left at this point. Been thinking about restarting the project, but finding a predominantly blank playmat has been kinda difficult.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I recently got Paramount+. It's worth it just for Star Trek and Beavis and Butt-Head.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago

My usual gimmick is to get especially fun, novel, and/or worthy opponents to sign my playmat. My old one is basically a sharpied out rag with very little real estate left at this point. Been thinking about restarting the project, but finding a predominantly blank playmat has been kinda difficult.
I love this. Back in the days of 5-Color it was usually a gentleman's agreement that the anted card wasn't actually given away but signed instead. Dang, I just remembered a format where Contract from Below was legal.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Oh man I haven't thought about 5 Color in years. I have so many altered Jeweled Birds, lol.

DirkGently

Just finished Sweet Tooth season 2...Netflix and ruining the second season of a previously good show, name a more iconic duo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

Over the course of the winter, i (re-)built this beauty - and i love it!
Just surreal that it only weighs 20lbs...

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
name a more iconic duo.
Demonic Consultation and Thassa's Oracle :P

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Just finished Sweet Tooth season 2...Netflix and ruining the second season of a previously good show, name a more iconic duo.
I would argue Netflix and Canceling a Perfectly Fine Show after a season 1 cliffhanger are at least as iconic.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Ironic that you should mention this considering they cancelled your namesake show after 2 seasons. It was amazing, too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
I would argue Netflix and Canceling a Perfectly Fine Show after a season 1 cliffhanger are at least as iconic.
That's definitely been more common historically, but I think I prefer it to the way Sweet Tooth and Shadow and Bone fell of a cliff in quality. It has me doubting if the first season was any good in the first place.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
That's definitely been more common historically, but I think I prefer it to the way Sweet Tooth and Shadow and Bone fell of a cliff in quality. It has me doubting if the first season was any good in the first place.
Strong seasons of a show can stand alone imo. I think GoT is the posterchild for a bad landing killing the whole flight, but in most shows I think there's a natural ebb and flow in quality over time and most audiences tolerate it well enough to sustain a good enough concept. Your bar just may be higher than the execs determined was necessary in order to make their bread. C'est la vie, at least you got something.

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Strong seasons of a show can stand alone imo. I think GoT is the posterchild for a bad landing killing the whole flight, but in most shows I think there's a natural ebb and flow in quality over time and most audiences tolerate it well enough to sustain a good enough concept. Your bar just may be higher than the execs determined was necessary in order to make their bread. C'est la vie, at least you got something.
For once I don't think there's reason to blame the execs. It doesn't look like the creative team was changed in any major ways. I think it's just easier to write a compelling first season than a second one. Both shows had an interesting hook and then had no idea what to do with it.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Pixley and Ehlers, Chicago, 1940s menu of "specials"
Show
Hide

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

So many good choices... hmmm, I'll take the Hamburger Sandwich, but the Boston Lunch sounds so good too.

I especially like the sound of some apple pie and coffee. Well, I don't drink coffee but I know I would like it if I tried it.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Gimme eggs and potatoes with dry rye toast :)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Hamburger special with coffee and a fruit gelatin, easy.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
They're should've been a background commander that granted initiative.

That is all.
Yeah I was really surprised this was not a thing. No background that interacts with it and no commander. So weird.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”