[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

According to all available evidence, my Past Self is waging a vicious campaign of total ruination against my Future Self, and is occasionally, inexplicably assisted in the endeavor by the dastardly and unpredictable Present Self, whose intentions seem to alternate wildly between mindlessly selfish hedonism, immovable sloth, and mild productivity.

Curse you, past me, you brilliant saboteur! Someday they'll invent that time machine and you'll pay for all you've done. I swear it!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
According to all available evidence, my Past Self is waging a vicious campaign of total ruination against my Future Self, and is occasionally, inexplicably assisted in the endeavor by the dastardly and unpredictable Present Self, whose intentions seem to alternate wildly between mindlessly selfish hedonism, immovable sloth, and mild productivity.

Curse you, past me, you brilliant saboteur! Someday they'll invent that time machine and you'll pay for all you've done. I swear it!
This was stupendously relatable to read.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago

But what if time travel has already been invented and your past self is really your future self trying to prevent some catastrophic event by curtailing your success?

Alternatively, your future self has time traveled to guarantee your ascendancy to Supreme Overlord of the COIGMCYLSL, in which case, hail my future liege!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago

But what if time travel has already been invented and your past self is really your future self trying to prevent some catastrophic event by curtailing your success?
If that's the case, future/past me is still an uber jerk for holding out on the time machine. %$#%, man, let's coordinate! You go back, buy me enough bitcoin/google stock/whatever to avoid employment for the rest of my natural life and I promise I'll never do another productive thing again. Although it totally fits my m.o. to overthink the issue, I do think we can achieve a purer form of self-sabotage if we try. Or at least a more consistently stoned form.

If we're angling for *Dumb Guy* Supremacy however, well, who am I to question the process? Take me away to the holy lands of endless fruition and bounty, where my disciples and I will have ours, and we'll C U Later %$#%!

@toctheyounger
I'm glad I'm not alone, but I wouldn't wish it on you lol.

Edit: foul language almost got this thread locked before, I ain't gonna have that on my head.

toctheyounger

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago

If that's the case, future/past me is still an uber jerk for holding out on the time machine. %$#%, man, let's coordinate! You go back, buy me enough bitcoin/google stock/whatever to avoid employment for the rest of my natural life and I promise I'll never do another productive thing again. Although it totally fits my m.o. to overthink the issue, I do think we can achieve a purer form of self-sabotage if we try. Or at least a more consistently stoned form.

If we're angling for *Dumb Guy* Supremacy however, well, who am I to question the process? Take me away to the holy lands of endless fruition and bounty, where my disciples and I will have ours, and we'll C U Later %$#%!

@toctheyounger
I'm glad I'm not alone, but I wouldn't wish it on you lol.

Edit: foul language almost got this thread locked before, I ain't gonna have that on my head.
Eh, it is what it is right. Everyone has regrets, I just have more than I'd like.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Eh, it is what it is right. Everyone has regrets, I just have more than I'd like.
You're not dead yet. At least that's what I keep telling myself. The reminder that I'm alive keeps me that way.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

past me: does anything

now me: smh
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
past me: does anything

now me: smh
That is also very much me... Past me was an idiot
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

As much as I hate to admit it, Arcane was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

Still never going play league of legends though.

edit: since this was the discussion a few weeks back - I'd say it was better than Castlevania. As someone with no knowledge of either franchise going in. The only thing that annoyed me a bit was
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Jinx being very joker-y. The whole crazy-person-vision felt like it would have fit the Jared Leto version.
Otherwise pretty flawless though imo. Had kind of a GoT thing going on in terms of perspective which I really dig. You can at least partially sympathize with everyone even when they're on collision course.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Dirk per your spoiler: that is how jinx has always been portrayed. she is a play on Harley Quinn
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

DirkGently

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Dirk per your spoiler: that is how jinx has always been portrayed. she is a play on Harley Quinn
As I said I have no familiarity with the source material.

I don't really give much credit for adhering to bad source material though. The work stands on its own.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@DirkGently Good on you for staying away from league of legends as recreation. It's easily the most toxic game I've ever played, makes monopoly seem appealing and the worst of my magic experiences seem like a vacation in comparison.

TF2 on the other hand, that's an awesome community and a fun enough game. And just like Whose Line, the points don't matter and silliness prevails over tryhardism. If I still had a computer and a decent internet connection, I'd probably still be playing.

DirkGently

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
@DirkGently Good on you for staying away from league of legends as recreation. It's easily the most toxic game I've ever played, makes monopoly seem appealing and the worst of my magic experiences seem like a vacation in comparison.
I played the Blizzard version (hots) briefly at the behest of my (ex)gf. Quickly came to the conclusion that I just don't like MOBAs in general. Really anything that involves other people and fast gameplay really doesn't appeal to me at all, especially when it's online with strangers. Some exceptions for games I've played long enough to be really comfortable with them (like Diablo) but even then I'd usually rather play solo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I played the Blizzard version (hots) briefly at the behest of my (ex)gf. Quickly came to the conclusion that I just don't like MOBAs in general. Really anything that involves other people and fast gameplay really doesn't appeal to me at all, especially when it's online with strangers. Some exceptions for games I've played long enough to be really comfortable with them (like Diablo) but even then I'd usually rather play solo.
As a long time Dota player, I can vouch that MOBA's contribute 99% of all salt to the internet. You know that vat of acid Joker falls into? That was just the toxicity produced by one night's worth of Dota/LoL games. We almost take pride in being the worst community of any multiplayer game, like it's a world record we're holding on to. Oh well, time for another game of ranked as I type this.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

DirkGently

Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
As a long time Dota player, I can vouch that MOBA's contribute 99% of all salt to the internet. You know that vat of acid Joker falls into? That was just the toxicity produced by one night's worth of Dota/LoL games. We almost take pride in being the worst community of any multiplayer game, like it's a world record we're holding on to. Oh well, time for another game of ranked as I type this.
I feel like any highly-competitive game where you're relying on a team of strangers to perform is going to result in pain 100% of the time. Either you're going to be pissed at someone else not performing up to snuff, or you're terrified that you're being that guy. I really don't get the appeal at all.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
I feel like any highly-competitive game where you're relying on a team of strangers to perform is going to result in pain 100% of the time. Either you're going to be pissed at someone else not performing up to snuff, or you're terrified that you're being that guy. I really don't get the appeal at all.
You're spot on. I guess it's like sugar/drugs/Mcdonalds. You know it's bad for you but you enjoy it on the way down and keep coming back for it. Maybe its the adrenaline rush. That and my fragile ego wanting to feel like a winner. But then you go 0-3 and the only option is to play thirty more games to try to win 1. Sheesh, after saying all this, I should probably head to therapy.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

So, glad I don't have that mindset, that said I do enjoy playing MP games like Halo, previous CoD games even with total strangers. I currently play fallout 76, but that's not competitive at all and oddly I enjoy playing GTAO on both PC and xbox.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently

Venedrex wrote:
2 years ago
You're spot on. I guess it's like sugar/drugs/Mcdonalds. You know it's bad for you but you enjoy it on the way down and keep coming back for it. Maybe its the adrenaline rush. That and my fragile ego wanting to feel like a winner. But then you go 0-3 and the only option is to play thirty more games to try to win 1. Sheesh, after saying all this, I should probably head to therapy.
I'm certainly not above getting hooked on video games and other detrimental wastes of time lol. I must have spent an easy 10,000 hours on magic. But those sorts of games are like my anti-addiction. Whenever my ex had me play hots I couldn't wait to stop playing.

Flight school is going well. New Zealand is a fantastic place to fly over, too. Tomorrow I have to do some stalls, though...kinda dreading that. It's when your plane stops...y'know, flying... :\
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Quick rant:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I ordered a full art Grim Hireling from TCGplayer over a month ago. Gave the seller an extra ten days before I reached out, given that the USPS is slow and it was getting into the holiday season. They give me a song and dance, ask me to wait another week for it to show up. On a whim, I go to order a replacement, because nothing's shown up and I can afford the $5 while I wait for the refund. Problem is, the card is now $20. After checking the price history, I noticed the price spiked shortly after I ordered it.

As a future card-carrying member of the Church of IGMCYLSL. my first thought is that the seller never sent the card in the first place and was willing to take the $5 hit to make $15. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it still stings a little to know I'm going to have to shell out 4x the cash. /end rant.
Last edited by kirkusjones 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

DirkGently

Similar story, I jumped on a painters servant right after the unban before price spiked. Dude gets back to me later once it's spiked and says he miscategorized it and only has foreign copies.

I told him he could either send me the foreign copy + refund, find an English copy and send it to me, or expect negative feedback on tcgplayer. After some complaining from him, I was surprised to find out I actually got what I wanted - an English copy. Ofc idk if he actually had to purchase it elsewhere or if it was all BS and he always had it.

Anyway sometimes being a Karen gets results.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

These seem like pretty common pitfalls of a tcg economy that vastly and rapidly fluctuates. Its pretty scummy behavior to try and game someone for extra cash though, thats just the nature of the beast - sometimes you make profit, others its lean times. If we buyers have to take our lumps and shell out a ton from time to time sellers should have the same attitude. Thats only fair, and if a seller is doing that sort of thing I'd be singing it from the rooftops.

Like you do wanna be sure before you say that sort of thing but both of those scenarios sound just a little too convenient to me.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

What is "SCD?"
- I've checked what I can find in help files, primers, etc - but I can't find anywhere "SCD" is defined.
-- e.g. Rules thread mentions it but doesn't define it...
- Is this some hold over from the old forums, or some MtG jargon I should know, but don't.
- It seems to be used in many thread titles, but I don't see a pattern in the types of threads either.
Last edited by Treamayne 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
V/R

Treamayne

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
What is "SCD?"
- I've checked what I can find in help files, primers, etc - but I can't find anywhere "SCD" is defined.
- Is this some hold over from the old forums, or some MtG jargon I should know, but don't.
- It seems to be used in many thread titles, but I don't see a pattern in the types of threads either.
Single card discussion. I feel like I used to see it more frequently on Legacy-centric forums when people were trying to evaluate a new or obscure card that seemed like it could be good, but there wasn't an easy, definitive answer.
Last edited by kirkusjones 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
What is "SCD?"
Single card discussion.
I feel like I used to see it more frequently on Legacy-centric forums when people were trying to evaluate a new or obscure card that seemed like it could be good, but there wasn't a definitive answer.
Danke Mucho

So, use of this tag is to indicate discussion on a specific card, which may or may not pertain to a specific or type of deck?

Re: New card, I think I've seen it when a specific preview dominates the "Unreleased and New Card Discussion" thread, so a new thread is popped out for discussing the contential card separately. . .
Last edited by Treamayne 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
V/R

Treamayne

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
Treamayne wrote:
2 years ago
What is "SCD?"
Single card discussion.
Danke Mucho

So, use of this tag is to indicate discussion on a specific card, which may or may not pertain to a specific or type of deck?
Yeah, or finding a home for the card. For example, the last SCD over on mtgthesource was about Thran Turbine. People tried to slot it into an existing shell or strategy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”