Eris, Roar of the Storm - is a fun spellslinger commander possible? [WIP]

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 weeks ago

Spellslinger is a tough archetype to make enjoyable - for most spellslinger commanders, the default objective is to build towards a big non-deterministic combo turn when you draw a bunch of cards and cast a million spells for triggers, and generally bore the table to tears. It also tends to be a very non-board-focused deck, and so leans towards a hard control build.

Years ago, Jori En, Ruin Diver caught my attention as a payoff for casting 2 spells per turn, which I thought was a nice balance of incentives - rewards to multicasting without a payoff for huge combo turns, plus it incentivizes letting other people have a turn so you can cast spells on their turns as well. But unfortunately the payoff wasn't really big or interesting enough and it never ended up going anywhere.

Enter OTJ/OTC, which reintroduced the double-spell theme as the UR archetype, with - because this is 2024 - not one, not two, but FIVE new payoff commanders.

Malcolm, the Eyes - worse Jori En mostly, pass.
Kraum, Violent Cacophony - improvement on Jori En, but still kinda underwhelming.
Stella Lee, Wild Card - neat, but similar issue as Jori En in not developing the board, plus way too many infinite combos.
Breeches, the Blastmaker - inconsistent, doesn't seem very good.
Eris, Roar of the Storm - perfect(?)

I like Eris' design a lot for a couple reasons. First, it does the double spell payoff right by giving a pretty significant payoff for doing it, not something that could be easily replicated with any number of easier setups. Second, the cost discount is really cool because it requires some thought to exploit while also maximizing the cast trigger. It can keep Eris at 2 mana for the whole game, but only if you're smart about how you build the deck. Finally, it has a clear wincon instead of faffing about drawing a few extra cards: make some big dragons and punch people in the face. A nice happy combat-focused ending for an archetype that often devolves into infinite spellslinging wankery.

Anyway, right now I'm mostly looking at my curve and how to best exploit stealthy mana values in order to get a good discount without having a horrendous pile of uncastable garbage. I also want to have a focus on looting/rummaging to make it easier to bin expensive spells So here's where I'm at atm.
Eris, Roar of the Storm
Approximate Total Cost:

Looking at it now, I think I'm way over on mv 3 & 5, should probably cut those down. The curve probably wants heavy 1-2 mv, and then a gradual taper off from 3-10, I should think.

edit: reposting with actual counts so I can see the graphs intelligibly xD
Eris, Roar of the Storm
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by DirkGently 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 2 weeks ago

More alternative cost cards; Mogg Salvage, Mindbreak Trap, Bolt Bend, Cave-In, Pyrokinesis, Fury of the Horde, Commandeer, Lavaball Trap.

Lavaball Trap can be cast for 3rr with any fetchland opponent uses and is actually perfect with the prowess putting your creatures out of range.

Fervent Mastery can be cast for 2rr and you can get 3 big dumb spells (or whatever) and hope they get discarded.

I feel like the deck is custom for Divergent Transformations. Many different options, but I like Sphinx of the Second Sun for the untap and maybe Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur for the draw. Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer with Dockside Extortionist also sounds like a lot of fun if going for the 4/4 treasure beat downs instead.

The other important element of the deck is trying to cast a couple of spells in opponent turn to apply real pressure. So you really need to be operating around very tight mana margins. So it should only be the rare cases where you are spending 4 or more mana on actually casting a spell. Even the 3's are very taxing.
It's easy to get carried away with the converted-mana-costs but the reality is that you are only looking for 4 different costs the 1st time and 5 for the 2nd time. And casting Eris for 2ur isn't the end-of-the-world if you need to cast him a 3rd time.
So any or all 1 mana instant cantrips are going to be more of the game plan than just making sure you can cast Eris in the face of removal.
Mental Note, Thought Scour, Disrupt, Obsessive Search, Peek, Shadow Rift, Take the Fall, Visions of Beyond are appealing.
Snap and Reset to untap lands.

Energy Tap is interesting getting 10 colorless.

fyi Zoyowa's Justice, Hieroglyphic Illumination are misspelled so will throw your counts off if using charts functionality.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 2 weeks ago

I think you're way too heavy on high mana costs. I know a lot of them are technically cheaper than their listed mana cost, but you're still playing a lot of clunky cards in a pseudo storm deck.

You don't really need your commander to cost two all game. You do need to be able to consistently double spell multiple times in a turn cycle.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

DirkGently

@darrenhabib @Dunadain

I think you're right that I've got too many high-mv cards. As nice as the strixhaven discard-for-treasure cards look at face value, not getting the card back + being almost uncastable on the front side make them pretty unimpressive on reflection.

I don't think I want to go tooo deep on do-nothing cantrips, though. I think the desired turn is something like "counter your spell, cast a cantrip." So at most maybe half my instants/sorceries should be air.

lavaball trap I considered and it is cute, but too much setup and the payoff isn't that great even though this is kinda the perfect place for it. Plus if I've already got my commander out, I'm probably less worried about stacking different mvs in the graveyard. The goal is going to be getting 3-4 different mvs by turn 3-4, and from that point on I'm mostly looking for cheap stuff to double-spell, with more expensive stuff to either refill my hand or answer enemy threats.

fervent master i considered, idk though 4 is still a lot, the cost discount is pretty minimal. I'm not really looking to spend 4 mana just to get a discount, I'd want some extra value.

divergent transformation build is interesting. I'd have to think about it.

energy tap is cool but I'm not sure I have use for that much colorless? I could shove in some X-spells but those seem otherwise weak.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 2 weeks ago

More suggestions, largely in the theme of getting multiple cast triggers out of a single card.

You already have Decaying Time Loop, but I think the retrace mechanic could be pretty good here. Throes of Chaos might be the best one, as it will always give you two spells when you cast it. Embrace the Unknown does something similar, though it will occasionally whiff and requires additional mana investment. Reality Scramble is a borderline-build-around card if you do go with Divergent Transformations. (Finally, Flame Jab is probably pretty bad, but hey, it's dirt cheap).

Flashback and Cascade mechanics might also be worth checking out.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 2 weeks ago

Other ways to get multiple triggers in a turn with fewer resources.
Snapcaster Mage and Mission Briefing even though they exile a card from graveyard its more than likely that you'll target a one mana card which you'll have lots of.

Founding the Third Path is perfect on every chapter, even the mill is relevant.

Spellweaver Volute is a card that I've always wanted to fit into a deck and the fact that it allows you to cast 2 spells off one sorcery is super relevant.

Possibility Storm gives you 2 cast triggers and is a great card to break up combination cards for opponents and removal.

Surge to Victory, I'm only bringing this up because we've been talking about this card, but with flying tokens and a beat down theme this is a finisher card.

Card draw is important in order to have multiple spells to actually cast, so The Magic Mirror should be uuu most games.

Wheels are probably going to be a great way to keep threshold of cards to keep multiple triggers going and put cards into graveyard which is fine as well. Wheel of Fortune, Wheel of Misfortune, Windfall.

DirkGently

Been making cuts and additions to the instants/sorceries stuff, but more interesting is the consideration of value engines to include. Current top considerations:

I'm not sure how much I like the discount-by-1 stuff. On one hand, we just got (or are about to get) some really economical versions of that effect. On the other hand, they have no impact on our 1-drops or UU counterspells and such.

Draw value wise, seems like there are a lot of strong options that could provide multiple draws per turn cycle at a low cost. Invasion and Bombardment are more expensive but they're also pretty insane so maybe worth the extra cost? small note, but Invasion is a double spell all by itself (and if you can't flip it, you could always grab Gitaxian Probe to get a double-spell anyway).
Last edited by DirkGently 2 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 2 weeks ago

I think in this sort of shell, I'd try to fit in a haste granter like Expedite. Cheap cantrip for a double spell turn, and ideally from an empty board you could afford a cheap Eris, expedite to make a dragon and swing in for 5, and still be able to leave mana up for other people's turns.

I also would shout out Electrodominance. It's a reasonable card in itself as an instant speed Fireball, but then it also close to ensures that you can trigger Eris on an opponent's turn even if it's your only instant at the moment.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

DirkGently

added Case of the Ransacked Lab - forgot about that one.
tstorm823 wrote:
2 weeks ago
I think in this sort of shell, I'd try to fit in a haste granter like Expedite. Cheap cantrip for a double spell turn, and ideally from an empty board you could afford a cheap Eris, expedite to make a dragon and swing in for 5, and still be able to leave mana up for other people's turns.

I also would shout out Electrodominance. It's a reasonable card in itself as an instant speed Fireball, but then it also close to ensures that you can trigger Eris on an opponent's turn even if it's your only instant at the moment.
Expedite is okay, but there are a lot of 1mv cantrips to choose from. I'm leaning towards Crash Through as a way to get damage through for the alpha strike (though in general I favor cantrips that provide card selection). Expedite is kinda awkward since you can't give your newly-made dragon haste unless you "waste" a spell cast.

Electrodominance I think is too expensive. We want a very high instant count anyway, so non-instants should just be cast on my own turn. And since the mana values are either low (and thus uninteresting to electrodominance) or really "high" (but we don't intend to actually cast them for that amount) they're also not great off electrodominance. And as a removal spell, elecrodominance is way too inefficient imo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 1 week ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 weeks ago
Expedite is okay, but there are a lot of 1mv cantrips to choose from. I'm leaning towards Crash Through as a way to get damage through for the alpha strike (though in general I favor cantrips that provide card selection). Expedite is kinda awkward since you can't give your newly-made dragon haste unless you "waste" a spell cast.
I imagine it will be meta-dependent, but my guess would be that you do as much damage with the general itself as with the dragons. An easily recastable 4/4 flying prowess is itself a threat, which is where the haste would go to. I've got a soft spot for haste though.
Electrodominance I think is too expensive. We want a very high instant count anyway, so non-instants should just be cast on my own turn. And since the mana values are either low (and thus uninteresting to electrodominance) or really "high" (but we don't intend to actually cast them for that amount) they're also not great off electrodominance. And as a removal spell, elecrodominance is way too inefficient imo.
I feel like having so many instants makes it potentially better. My best Electrodominance uses are pretty much all 2 or 3 drop add-ons. Turn 4 or 5 is usually where people start the snowball in the playgroups around here, and plenty of value engines have 2 or 3 toughness, so getting to leave 100% of my mana available without passing on sorcery speed stuff is a benefit. 5 mana Lightning Bolt that casts Solve the Equation from your hand may not be the most exciting thing, but having the option to Solve the Equation without committing your mana on your turn is pretty nice.

Also, you have two suspend spells in the list that could be cast from hand for free.

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 1 week ago

tstorm823 wrote:
1 week ago
I imagine it will be meta-dependent, but my guess would be that you do as much damage with the general itself as with the dragons.
If that's the case, I think the deck has horribly failed in its goal. I guess we'll see.
I feel like having so many instants makes it potentially better.
I don't follow. Giving something flash seems like the main reason to play it over other instant removal.
5 mana Lightning Bolt that casts Solve the Equation from your hand may not be the most exciting thing, but having the option to Solve the Equation without committing your mana on your turn is pretty nice.
I'm not running solve the equation though. My only sorceries are either 1mv cantrips, or a couple 5-6mv draw spells which are probably too cumbersome.

I also really don't like the dynamic of needing to cast a removal spell to get value. Say I hold off on casting Lórien Revealed on my turn because I have 7 mana and electrodominance. What if there aren't any important targets? Do I just fire it off on whatever? Or do I waste all that mana and cast cheaper things? I'd rather just cast the lorien revealed and keep the 2mv overhead available for interaction.
Also, you have two suspend spells in the list that could be cast from hand for free.
I've cut inevitable betrayal so we're down to 1.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Updated list:
Eris
Approximate Total Cost:

Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 1 week ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 week ago
I don't follow. Giving something flash seems like the main reason to play it over other instant removal.
If you have a hand that's all sorcery speed things and an Electrodominance, you get to play one of them at instant speed for a couple extra mana. But if your hand is all sorcery speed otherwise, chances are that you're not actually holding up answers this way, which I think is the best reason to give something instant speed. If you have a hand with a bunch of answers you'd like to hold up and then a couple of sorcery speed draw spells, you have to either commit that mana on your turn and partially lower your shields or not play those draw spells. Electrodominance (and other things like Quicken) let you save all your mana for the other instants you might want to play without losing access to those sorceries for the entire trip around the table.

That being said:
My only sorceries are either 1mv cantrips, or a couple 5-6mv draw spells which are probably too cumbersome.

I've cut inevitable betrayal so we're down to 1.
Those are reasonable but significant changes from the list that was showing that change the math, fair enough.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 week ago

The deck is looking sweet.

With the instant/sorcery cost reducers, if you look at cards that are probably going to be cast for free (Fierce Guardianship, Submerge, etc) and those that you are cycling then your actual targets are only 20. There are 23 cards that can leverage Sapphire Medallion in your deck so technically is better than Goblin Electromancer. I would reduce the number of them for sure, they are not as useful as you might think.

I would play more proactive 2 mana instant/sorcery cards. At the moment there are counterspells and removal, but these don't represent turn 2 plays very well. Most (all really) games you'll be wanting to play a turn 2 two mana instant/sorcery. You only have 3 proactive ones you are happy to fire off with Thrill of Possibility, Demand Answers, Chart a Course. This just isn't enough.
I would play all these for that reason; Cathartic Reunion, Curate, Izzet Charm, Moment of Truth, Predict, Expressive Iteration. Even though Expressive Iteration is not perfect on turn 2 it still is a cantrip at worst and very good later on to cast 2 spells.
Fire // Ice is a turn 2 play but is 4 cmc which is the same type of result.
We can talk about triggering Eris multiple times a turn round, but getting back to the core of the deck, you do want to cast him early if possible and are still happy to only get one trigger each round rather than not getting any triggers because he isn't in play.

Of note Quiet Speculation can guarantee 4 different cmc in graveyard with Faithless Looting, Isengard Unleashed, and any other flashback you choose not of these mana costs. For example Electric Revelation, Deep Analysis, Past in Flames.

DirkGently

darrenhabib wrote:
1 week ago
The deck is looking sweet.
Thanks!
With the instant/sorcery cost reducers, if you look at cards that are probably going to be cast for free (Fierce Guardianship, Submerge, etc) and those that you are cycling then your actual targets are only 20. There are 23 cards that can leverage Sapphire Medallion in your deck so technically is better than Goblin Electromancer. I would reduce the number of them for sure, they are not as useful as you might think.
That's useful analysis, I hadn't bothered to check yet. Good to know though, I'll cut some of those numbers down. I think the case is probably still worth it? Costs a little bit more but it really does everything we want.
I would play more proactive 2 mana instant/sorcery cards. At the moment there are counterspells and removal, but these don't represent turn 2 plays very well. Most (all really) games you'll be wanting to play a turn 2 two mana instant/sorcery. You only have 3 proactive ones you are happy to fire off with Thrill of Possibility, Demand Answers, Chart a Course. This just isn't enough.
I would play all these for that reason; Cathartic Reunion, Curate, Izzet Charm, Moment of Truth, Predict, Expressive Iteration. Even though Expressive Iteration is not perfect on turn 2 it still is a cantrip at worst and very good later on to cast 2 spells.
Fire // Ice is a turn 2 play but is 4 cmc which is the same type of result.
We can talk about triggering Eris multiple times a turn round, but getting back to the core of the deck, you do want to cast him early if possible and are still happy to only get one trigger each round rather than not getting any triggers because he isn't in play.
I included Remand because it's a counterspell I'm happy to play on turn 2. Arcane denial, while more broadly useful, is also fine since it's not card disadvantage. And honestly I'd total throw out a Mana Drain on some random 3-drop if it meant I got to play turn 3 Arcane Bombardment, or Archmage Emeritus with counterspell backup.

We don't have a ton of 2 mana proactive plays, but we've got a lot of 1 mana plays. I count 25 cards I'm happy to play turn 1-2 in total at the moment, not including the cost reducers or mana drain. So in a lot of cases we're double-spelling turn 2 to feed the graveyard. A lot of good answers are 2 mana so I don't want to overly raise the mv of the deck. If we're trying to counter + spell or removal + spell to trigger Eris, seems a lot easier to do that with a 1-mana cantrip than a 2-mana cantrip.

As far as the specific cards:
Cathartic reunion was a late cut. Could see it coming back. Sorcery is a lot worse than instant after turn 2 though.
Curate I don't think I own. not awful, I could see putting it in if I think I need more 2-drops.
Izzet charm is flexible but I don't really like the options all that much since they're pretty narrow. Casting it turn 2 and being down a card seems meh.
moment of truth was also a fairly late cut. Definitely would be in if I want more 2-drops.
predict I don't think makes sense. Not enough mono-colored decks to be much better than a cantrip on average.
Expressive iteration is definitely a strong card. Same camp as cathartic reunion I suppose - being a 2-drop and sorcery puts me off a bit for later turns.
One you didn't mention, Strategic Planning. Better than iteration T2 but worse on later turns.
Fire//ice is ok but I'm skeptical of the tap/burn being impactful enough to justify the extra mana. Similar camp to curate I guess.
One I should probably include is Frostveil Ambush.
Of note Quiet Speculation can guarantee 4 different cmc in graveyard with Faithless Looting, Isengard Unleashed, and any other flashback you choose not of these mana costs. For example Electric Revelation, Deep Analysis, Past in Flames.
That's an interesting one. Maybe Visions of Ruin? The flashback is likely mana-positive. In fact the whole thing could be a mana-neutral way to double-spell while getting sort of a 1-use Bootleggers' Stash.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib

DirkGently wrote:
1 week ago
That's useful analysis, I hadn't bothered to check yet. Good to know though, I'll cut some of those numbers down. I think the case is probably still worth it? Costs a little bit more but it really does everything we want.
I would cut all of them but Thunderclap Drake. There has to be a hero play with copying Preordain like 3 times in a longer game.
Case of the Ransacked Lab looks awesome on paper, but will probably play out as a nothingburger. You have to like specifically hold onto cards to get the 4 spells, in which case you are realistically missing out on 2 other Eris triggers before hand. So it might just lead you into a trap.
We don't have a ton of 2 mana proactive plays, but we've got a lot of 1 mana plays. I count 25 cards I'm happy to play turn 1-2 in total at the moment, not including the cost reducers or mana drain. So in a lot of cases we're double-spelling turn 2 to feed the graveyard.
The problem with only casting one mana plays on turn 2 is that they don't contribute further to the cost reduction.
Also most of the two mana cards are ones that discard, so chances are they'll count towards a four mana reduction. There are only 3 x one mana cards that can put other cmc in graveyard.
I would say play some games with the build, but keep an idea of what I said about if you did consistently cast a two mana cards on turn 2, and how that would likely be a cost reduction of 4 (or more) to cast Eris.

DirkGently

@darrenhabib fair enough. Make sure you're counting cyclers etc though - I think we must have more than you're counting. Also don't forget the surveil land off a fetch can dump another cmc into the grave if we have a mana free.

Though I think another big factor is that, barring a few choice cards and/or luck, turn 3 eris is pretty unlikely. And once we get to 3mv there are a lot of easy setup cards for a T4 eris.

Anyway, we'll see how it pans out.

Something I'm interested in sourcing opinions on, especially since I just noticed that Traverse Eternity is a card (which I ought to have? I bought all 4 of those stupid precons? Wtf? Why don't I have it? grumble grumble), there's the trio of:

Traverse Eternity
Imposing Grandeur
Rush of Knowledge

All preeeetty comparable - similar mv huge reload spells (traverse is the cheapest, imposing doesn't require eris in play but forces discard, rush costs more than traverse...but it can still maybe do SOMETHING without him). I guess the question is whether we prefer

1) consistent top-up engines like Archmage Emeritus
2) huge reload spells
3) a mix of both (at what ratio?)
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 week ago

I'd run Traverse and Rush, but you're in Izzet ain't no reason to be giving your opponents free CA when you have a plethora of options at your disposal that DON'T do that.

Obviously, Imposing Grandeur is pretty much guaranteed to be better for you than your opponents, and often it will be card DISADVANTAGE for you're opponents. But again, you've got plenty of strong draw options that don't run the risk of aiding your opponents.

darrenhabib

Stella Lee, Wild Card and Jori En, Ruin Diver don't help you if you are behind. They can be one of those really bad top deck cards.
Where as at least Traverse Eternity is going to be great if you are out of gas, but comes with a risk.

I like Wavebreak Hippocamp, Archmage Emeritus and Ojer Pakpatiq, Deepest Epoch as ongoing effects.

Note there are other ways to duplicate the effect of Roaming Throne by actually copying Eris with Irenicus's Vile Duplication, Quantum Misalignment.

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
1 week ago
Obviously, Imposing Grandeur is pretty much guaranteed to be better for you than your opponents, and often it will be card DISADVANTAGE for you're opponents. But again, you've got plenty of strong draw options that don't run the risk of aiding your opponents.
Lmao I somehow forgot my opponents also have the option xD That is a knock against it for sure.
darrenhabib wrote:
1 week ago
Stella Lee, Wild Card and Jori En, Ruin Diver don't help you if you are behind. They can be one of those really bad top deck cards.
Where as at least Traverse Eternity is going to be great if you are out of gas, but comes with a risk.

I like Wavebreak Hippocamp, Archmage Emeritus and Ojer Pakpatiq, Deepest Epoch as ongoing effects.

Note there are other ways to duplicate the effect of Roaming Throne by actually copying Eris with Irenicus's Vile Duplication, Quantum Misalignment.
Roaming throne does also copy your prowess triggers though (same for the 3mv dude whose name I forget).

Though I've currently cut roaming throne since it seems a little win-more. 4mv feels like it's going to be tricky when we're trying to double spell, I like 3mv a lot more. But admittedly archmage and ojer are really strong compared to most of the 3mv value engines.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 5 days ago

I played my first Battle ever today and realized that "transforming" is casting, so you can get two cast triggers with the same card in a turn.
The prowess 4/4 flyers are perfect for attacking these as you just need to connect with one as the are all 4 or 5 defense.
I really like this idea, so I'm envisioning a version of my own that is essentially a Battles theme deck.
You're already playing Invasion of Arcavios, but some of the others seem great as well.
Invasion of Tarkir // Defiant Thundermaw has a super relevant backside, so for 1r you get A LOT of card. Give Eris a 2nd spell trigger and your Dragons deal 2 targeted damage.
Invasion of Segovia // Caetus, Sea Tyrant of Segovia seems amazing. The front side doesn't seem good at first, but once you transform giving your noncreature spells convoke, those 1/1 turn into Islands basically, and it untaps 4 creatures! This is definitely going to give you the ability to cast spells in opponents turn readily.
Invasion of Kaldheim // Pyre of the World Tree is probably the least exciting but still good. The deck doesn't have a way to get around putting more than one land into play, so discarding a land is possible and it does help fuel the multiple spells by exiling from the top. The front side does allow for a big turn after casting as well, because it does say "until end of next turn". So you get to have full hand still and have a pseudo wheel effect. Plus there are 5 discard cards in the deck that could trigger this card.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”