3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 2 months ago

Saturday, March 2nd, 2024; Displacer Kitten

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 2 months ago

3drinks wrote:
2 months ago
Saturday, March 2nd, 2024; Displacer Kitten

Such a dumb card. I wish it couldn't target itself, to at least be semi-reasonable.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 months ago

Displacer Kitten is a card that I haven't really seen in action. I think that is largely because of how differently it functions at higher power levels. There are a few infinite combos it is a part of, but they're generally dependent on fast mana rocks (i.e. Sol Ring + Teferi, Time Raveler). If you only have Sol Ring in your deck, then it doesn't make much sense to build around the combo... but if you're also running Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, and Sensei's Divining Top, then it goes up in value significantly. In general, it's better if your deck has lots of cheap spells to trigger it, which usually means a more competitive deck. If you're only triggering it once per turn, it may be simpler to just run Thassa, Deep-Dwelling or another self-contained blink engine instead.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 2 months ago

I also haven't really seen this cat around, conceptually, I think the mechanic is neat, and while I don't much care for spell slinger, this is a much more interesting payoff. Additionally, I suspect that simply trying to combo with it is a much better use of this card than using it fairly.

👎
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 months ago

This card is so absolutely broken I was surprised not to see it turn up more. Being slightly expensive helps. I basically never see it outside of high powered/CEDH stuff.

this is one of those cards that makes me question my dislike for the FIRE design strategy, because the format somehow seems to be absorbing horseshit cards like this without crashing. I don't get it but I am thankful.

3drinks

Sunday, March 3rd, 2024; Voice of Resurgence

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 months ago

This was the one that was supposed to be flipped with Emmara Tandris, right?
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Dunadain
I like turtles

I'm not sure if it was ever good in commander, but it reminds me of a time when modern was is a better place.

👍👍

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 months ago

Serenade wrote:
2 months ago
This was the one that was supposed to be flipped with Emmara Tandris, right?
Yep. The official token even shows the creature on Tandris' art.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 months ago

Tandris, at her cost with this ability, would have been a fairly neat but not OP commander, while this creature with her ability instead would have been a fair support card.

Dragons Maze was such a a mistake of a set.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 months ago

onering wrote:
2 months ago
Dragons Maze was such a a mistake of a set.
Biggest mistake of the set not having a reprint of Maze of Ith given the name of the set
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Serenade
UnderKing

Ith, the Dominarian wizard?

Mookie

Voice of Resurgence has the dubious distinction of being one of the very few playable cards in Dragons Maze, which was... a pretty bad set. As others have mentioned, it was originally going to be Emmara Tandris. WotC planned to have a cycle of legendary creatures, one for each guild. Emmara was originally at mythic, but then Ral Zarek was put into the set at mythic, which pushed the cycle down to rare. This meant they needed to scramble to find new a new card for Emmara, hence her underwhelming card. Emmara, Soul of the Accord is cool, at least.

...anyway, Voice has some use against blue countermagic-based decks, and other decks that care about casting spells on their opponents' turns. It doesn't lock your opponents down entirely (unlike Grand Abolisher and Dragonlord Dromoka), but the tokens present a strong punisher effect for any go-wide strategy. You also get a token if it dies, which is nice. I don't think the card is amazing, but that's less due to the card itself and more that I don't see aggressive gw go-wide strategies in commander that often. If you were hypothetically running a deck in that archetype and you wanted to stop your opponents from messing with you, then Voice seems like a reasonable inclusion.

Personally, I'm sad Dragon Arch wasn't in the set.

3drinks

Monday, MArch 4th, 2024; Brutal Expulsion

I like this effect, there's a lot to be said for bouncing hard to deal with spells back to hand. Even hits Cavern-Casted creatures.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 months ago

The flexibility is nice, but bounce/shock is too soft of an answer for four mana. Bounce a creature is bad at 1 mana, shock is bad at 1 mana, and bounce a spell cantrips at 2 mana. Getting a shock and a bounce/remand is nice, but realistically you probably won't have an ideal target for the other mode, and whichever mode you care about is being massively overcosted. The most exciting mode is the remand mode, but who wants to keep 4 mana open for a counterspell that soft? Basically nobody.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie

Brutal Expulsion seems... fine, but unexciting. Venser, Shaper Savant is often better if you want the first mode, and there are plenty of Shock variants if you want the second. There are certainly situations where it will be good and you can get value from both halves, but I think there are better options out there. I guess it's better than Jilt, but when was the last time you saw Jilt played?

That said, MM3 is bringing more Eldrazi / colorless support, which means the devoid text may become more relevant. Something like a card with 'tutor for a colorless instant or sorcery' would make Brutal Expulsion a lot more interesting - it may compare poorly to blue countermagic, but it's a lot more promising if you compare it to other colorless options.

Serenade
UnderKing

Is Hinata modal spells a fun deck? This card reminds me that I want to build that deck with all of my chaff.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Sudden Setback and Commit // Memory are better versions of the first option. Theoretically, the Shock is supposed to replace the CA disadvantage of the first option, but Shock's aren't very reliable.

👎

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 months ago

3drinks wrote:
2 months ago
Would i keep 4 mana open for Scorchmark + Unsubstantiate rather than just run Unsubstantiate itself? Likely not.

At least i always liked the Devoid cards and the frame was real pretty, especially in foil!
I have a fond memory of a friend frying Iona, Shield of Emeria with Oblivion Strike...

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
2 months ago

That said, MM3 is bringing more Eldrazi / colorless support, which means the devoid text may become more relevant. Something like a card with 'tutor for a colorless instant or sorcery' would make Brutal Expulsion a lot more interesting - it may compare poorly to blue countermagic, but it's a lot more promising if you compare it to other colorless options.
Sunforger intensifies.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Mookie

3drinks wrote:
2 months ago
Mookie wrote:
2 months ago

Sunforger intensifies.
Brutal Explulsion is colorless, so you can't fetch it with Sunforger.

3drinks

Oh right herp derp I equated it to Suffocating Blast because mana symbols.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

Tuesday, March 5th, 2024; Wojek Investigator

Huh. I missed this little utility dork. Can draw multiple cards/turn cycle. Well statted for the cost. Good typing. Think it's a homerun.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunadain
I like turtles

Draws cards in a white way, and can be paired with artifact synergies to make it more interesting. Haven't seen it in play yet, but I like it.

👍👍

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 months ago

and as a bonus if you can make it live long enough while being at 1 or 2 cards you get a way to draw ALOT when needed on opponents turns assuming low artifact hate.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”