• Creature – Fungus Snail
Gary NOOOO!
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 6 months ago

a new card with the word "three times" in its rules text
that should be "Chimil" right (thats the name of the ixalan core)
a redone version of a popular mechanic that first premiered in 2009
three culprits easily fit this easily (2 of which fit for the set)
1. Cascade
2.Quest counters
3. Trap type cards.
a popular Tempest sorcery returns as an "enter the battlefield" effect
im between Reanimate, Living Death, or Time Warp for this one (though it could be any other one though)
"Skeletons you control get +1/+0 and have haste."
uh-oh get Death Baron, Death-Priest of Myrkul , and Skeletal Swarming [/card] while cheap.
"If a triggered ability of another creature you control of the chosen type triggers, it triggers an additional time."
😳 oh....my gosh this could be one of those cards that warps commander theres like thousands among thousands (maybe even ten thousands) of creatures that share types with eachother with obnoxious triggered abilities heck for one example there's a truckload of elementals with landfall or/and ETB effects .........don't get me started with "Annihilator" since only eldrazis have that. (besides the aura and upcoming equipment)
"When there are 1,000 or more time counters on CARDNAME, sacrifice it and each opponent loses 1,000 life."
Alright! were getting a second Death star based card in MTG...im willing to be it will be easier than meets the eye to hit 1,000 counters (and i'm not talking with using cards like Deepglow Skate or Vorel of the Hull Clade)
Legendary Creature – Skeleton Spirit Pirate
dang who knows what this creature will do and if it will be a popular one in commander.
Creature – Fungus Snail
Creature – Capybara
OOOOH! Changelings are getting the snail type and Capybara (just joking a little but looks like Mournwhelk needs a errata to have the snail type.)
Artifact Creature – Nautilus
nice thats the third one were getting in the game.

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 6 months ago

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 6 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
6 months ago
TThis is a joke, isn't it? October's Fool, anyone?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 6 months ago

Welp, I'm out.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 6 months ago

Damn, I had hoped that Marvel Snap's competition with Arena in the digital space would prevent any UB product from materializing.

Honestly really weak announcement trailer. I wouldn't have expected a Marvel crossover announcement to be so...cottagecore? I guess they're targeting it more towards the comics?

I just hope it's a one-and-done thing. How many cringey fandoms are there in the world that we'll have to wade through?
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 6 months ago

That trailer was not bad, not gonna lie, the potential for people who consume a lot and will open boosties to the moon and back to find thanos gauntlet 1/1 is absurd.

I for one welcome our new reality. as soon as this spoilers show, I'll either be excited or I wont, if I am I'll grab some cards and brew some cool decks. If not I'll just move on with my day and accept the wallet relief. Like the W40K and DW releases, this is what I've come to do with magic

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 6 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago
How many cringey fandoms are there in the world that we'll have to wade through?
Probably more than any of us want to imagine, sadly. How many video game + movie franchises + comic books + TV series + novel franchies are there?

Vertierer
Kabbalisten-Schatzmeister

Post by Vertierer » 6 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago
I just hope it's a one-and-done thing. How many cringey fandoms are there in the world that we'll have to wade through?
wotc: #yes
The mills of god grind slowly

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 6 months ago

Wonder if this will be comic-book versions of characters or the MCU versions.
I wonder if my question is related to Scarlet Johansson. Hmm.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago

Define cringey cuz some of the magic fandom.....

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 6 months ago

Another UB for me to review and then immediately eject from my consciousness. Unless of course the Juggernaut is cool. There will be and exception made for him.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Hermes_ wrote:
6 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago

OK now I want to know what the most cringe UB would be.

Hermes_

Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
Another UB for me to review and then immediately eject from my consciousness. Unless of course the Juggernaut is cool. There will be and exception made for him.
Juggernaut

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 6 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
6 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
Juggernaut
The Juggernaut, Some description
Legendary Creature — Guy who finds magical stone (human) (M)
Can't be countered
Trample, haste, indestructible
Attacks each turn if able.
Can't be blocked by walls
6/6

Woila
Last edited by Venedrex 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Venedrex wrote:
6 months ago
Mutant
No.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 6 months ago

I gotta say, this caught me off guard.

I knew MTG was gunning for a super hero UB, but I thought Marvel Snap existing plus Disney having Lorcana would have prevented this collaboration. I was sure that DC was going to be the superhero UB of choice because of those reasons.

Guess Wotc pulled out a graph with MONEY GO BRRR arrow to the moon to convince Disney.

I suspect Maro being a Marvel fan may have helped grease the skids as well.

Oh and at the risk of being rude, this is what we warning about when the whole UB thing started. I like Marvel. A lot. But this is a prime example of how MTG is going downhill fast. Just because I like an IP, doens't mean I can't be objective and admit that this is bad for the overall health of the game.

Anyone remember those memes about I block Gandalf with Optimus Prime and then Iron Man attacks you for six while I use my Rick to buff him?
Yeah this is all that becoming a reality. Thankfully, other tcgs exist. But hey Super Magic The Gathering Bros is still kind of fun I guess so at this point that is all the game is now. A fighting game that just uses other games characters.
Last edited by Venedrex 6 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 6 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
6 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago

I was gonna say, in terms of cringey magic likely drags things it crossovers into being cringer then the other way around.

Only thing I'm disappointed about is they might do UB like this vs making their own superhero set. Was hoping Kamigawa 2 and Capenna would have lead to a superhero themed set.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 6 months ago

Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
Sailor Moon? Definitely something weebish anyway. When I think cringe I think waifu creepiness. Or like, jumping completely over a shark.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

My group is already super excited and talking about which characters they want to build if possible even if it doesn't come out for awhile.

Would one of you guys mind explaining to my group why this is bad?

DirkGently

@Hermes_ your group liked your avril lavigne sleeves, they are clearly impervious to cringe.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 6 months ago

Venedrex wrote:
6 months ago
I gotta say, this caught me off guard.

I knew MTG was gunning for a super hero UB, but I thought Marvel Snap existing plus Disney having Lorcana would have prevented this collaboration. I was sure that DC was going to be the superhero UB of choice because of those reasons.

Guess Wotc pulled out a graph with MONEY GO BRRR arrow to the moon to convince Disney.

I suspect Maro being a Marvel fan may have helped grease the skids as well.

Oh and at the risk of being rude, this is what we warning about when the whole UB thing started. I like Marvel. A lot. But this is a prime example of how MTG is going downhill fast. Just because I like an IP, doens't mean I can't be objective and admit that this is bad for the overall health of the game.

Anyone remember those memes about I block Gandalf with Optimus Prime and then Iron Man attacks you for six while I use my Rick to buff him?
Yeah this is all that becoming a reality. Thankfully, other tcgs exist. But hey Super Magic The Gathering Bros is still kind of fun I guess so at this point that is all the game is now. A fighting game that just uses other games characters.
I'm less surprised. Still surprised, mind - this is a huge franchise, possibly the largest WotC has brought in (it'll be close with LotR), and there's very few I'd put higher (probably Star Wars?). But Magic is so fundamentally different than Marvel Snap that I think the world can contain both, and Lorcana (a game I have been following despite being utterly unable to purchase any product) has been very up-front that their initial 5-year plan is strictly the Animated Canon, so by the time they need to break the glass and put Iron Man in that game, this crossover will be ancient history. I'm more surprised because I didn't honestly think Magic had the cachet or respect to get Marvel's attention for a partnership like this.

I've been thinking on it a lot today and - is this a sign, of Magic going downhill? I suppose it depends on what you mean by that. If you mean this is probably a further nail in the coffin of a real, competitive, respected tournament scene - sure, yeah, probably. This set is either going to be casual/commander only, and further dilute the audience of people who want to do anything other than play kitchen table sim-city decks with Thanos and Captain Marvel, or it'll go to Modern like LotR and immediately warp and alter that format in a weird, irrevocable way in the name of profit where we all just get to deal with The Infinity Gauntlet being a 4x in most competitive decks, only countered by Iron Man. If you mean this is downhill in that WotC's days of doing the absolute bare minimum for their own lore/world-building/story-telling are coming to a middle - yeah, fair, also true. Why invest in a rich lore with well-written stories when selling cards featuring Aragorn and Captain America make the money line go up? Of course I, like you, fear the day that the suits upstairs realize that the Marvel set outsold Return to Lorwyn 20-1, and that doesn't just mean they won't approve Return to Return to Lorwyn...now they're wondering why we're doing non-UB sets at all. I asked Mark actually and he just responded that in-universe Magic is safe which is sweet - but, 10-15 years ago Mark said products like this would "dilute Magic's core identity too much", so grains of salt.

Empirically though, UB has brought more people to Magic than anything else. Folks that have refused to learn for years are into it now that they can play with Galadriel and Negan. It's helped folks who have felt unwelcome in LGS and the community for a variety of reasons feel welcomed and have an on-ramp, a common thing to share with other players joining at the same time. The game has never been bigger, more visible, more played, or more expansive. Is that wrong and bad? Well, it is bad for Pro Tour Grinders and Lore Lovers for the reasons I listed above, and I feel that. And I guess, if you love Magic because it felt like a private club and now they let just anyone in here, perhaps it is.

But for me - and I know this is super cheesy - but I can remember cracking open my first pack and seeing Angelic Page and Great Whale and Bravado, and it was a flashbulb moment of total love for this game. Over 25 years and counting, Magic has been my comfort on dark days. It was a way to make friends fast when I was all alone in a new place for Grad school. Playing cards is how my wife and I spent our first weekend together while we were dating. It's how I proposed. And as my brothers and I drift apart with kids and jobs and mortgages and vacations, Magic is the thing that keeps us together, a common language that lets us come right back together. 12 year old me loved Magic for just how cool its own lore was - 37 year old me just loves playing a round of cards with my friends and family. At the end of the day, does it matter if those cards depict Karn and Volrath or if they depict Batman and the Joker? The core game, the strategy, the deckbuilding, is all the same. And heck, some of my family who have just politely played along are really excited to get to have Optimus Prime and Michonne in their decks now - and if that means more Magic, that's a win in my book.

If it was solely up to me, I guess I wish they hadn't of done this. I liked Magic's lore and art and style for Magic. They didn't need to change for me. But I respect they did for everyone else, and I'm a combination of resigned to and at peace with that decision.

DirkGently

Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
Skibidi toilet UB coming summer 2024?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”