[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

One thing I hadn't considered was Golem tribal, which can absolutely be done alongside a discard or cycling theme. Now, that's not a reason to build a deck around Hollow One, but a free on-tribe beef slab to go with your splicers and what not isn't the worst.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Thursday, August 27th, 2020; Nyxbloom Ancient

🙄 this %$#% card -_-
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

not-a-cube

Post by not-a-cube » 3 years ago

I am speed!

Anyway, don't have it, don't want it, but this is just a go off card, play it and it sticks, you should win. It's not sexy though.
EDH Decks:
Queen Marchesa
Chainer, Dementia Master
Will Kenrith
Bruna, the fading light

FoxM1
I'm certainly something

Post by FoxM1 » 3 years ago

Yeah, it's not shocking the reaction this card got when it was spoiled. The big thing is, it just isn't that interesting in the long run. I don't know why, but when I have it on the field I just don't feel good about having done it.

Regardless, it is in my Nikya deck. It does work as a distraction from the commander, but I don't need it to be on the board. I've never felt good playing this card, and really I don't know why. Never felt that way with Mana Reflection but once I start triplin' it feels almost negligible? Great late game ramp for decks that really chug at the mana stream, Probably amazing in Kruphix, God of Horizons or Omnath, Locus of Mana .

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 years ago

Broken card is Broken. I don't like the design of this card. Tripling things is dangerous, and tripling mana maybe the most so. Only a matter of time before Thought Reflection gets a mod to draw triple cards for the same cmc. Not on my buy list as there are more interesting cards that I am after. This is more good stuffy than I like these days. Could probably find a place in my Titania, Protector of Argoth deck, but I omit Craterhoof Behemoth for power reasons and would probably do the same here. Emotionally I don't like that this card was printed. Strategically, I'll remove it when I can and loose to it when I can't, probably.

MeowZeDung

It's a must kill target, and a 7 mana Path to Exile magnet isn't great, but if you can immediately tap multiple mana sources beyond the 7 invested you probably don't care since you still accelerate and your opponent burned their removal. If it sticks and you've got Seedborn Muse, Wilderness Reclamation or similar and any decent mana sinks, congrats you probably win.

It's one of the poster children for green being pushed too hard in recent years imo. It does add to the appeal of winning with my non - green decks though as it's satisfying to watch someone be a ramp/draw machine and beat them anyhow.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 3 years ago

I don't have nearly the hatred other people do for Nyxbloom Ancient. It's very powerful, to be sure, but then again - shouldn't 7 CMC creatures be powerful? Other commonly-played 7 cmc creatures are similarly powerful, like Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Palinchron, Avenger of Zendikar, Sheoldred, Whispering One, or Gisela, Blade of Goldnight. And while these are all hard to beat if they hit the table, they are all just as vulnerable as the Ancient and at least Ancient doesn't have an ETB ability?

MeowZeDung

Well said @Outcryqq, and a solid case for what makes Counterspell variants so good.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

This card is pretty absurd. My favorite thing to do is play it then tap Cradle for 400 and go off.

MeowZeDung

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
This card is pretty absurd. My favorite thing to do is play it then tap Cradle for 400 and go off.
400 ÷ 3...

:laugh:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

I've been hanging out with my 5 year old. for her first couple years "88" was her big number reference point and now it's 400 or 5 million

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
Making want to do that one time. Though Cradle doesn't need any help being broken either. At the current price I probably won't go after one, but it sounds fun once or twice. Cradle's current home is the aforementioned Titania, Protector of Argoth deck that may make that interaction a bit too common with the amount of land an creature cheat-out cards in it. I would fork over for a Finale of Devastation before this.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 3 years ago

Outcryqq wrote:
3 years ago
I don't have nearly the hatred other people do for Nyxbloom Ancient. It's very powerful, to be sure, but then again - shouldn't 7 CMC creatures be powerful? Other commonly-played 7 cmc creatures are similarly powerful, like Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, Palinchron, Avenger of Zendikar, Sheoldred, Whispering One, or Gisela, Blade of Goldnight. And while these are all hard to beat if they hit the table, they are all just as vulnerable as the Ancient and at least Ancient doesn't have an ETB ability?
Those cards are all powerful and can really warp a game over time. With the exception of Palinchron being used to combo, you don't need to answer them immediately or lose.

Nyxbloom you need to answer immediately. The sheer amount of mana it craps out tends to just win the game. Its much more in line with Palinchron, which gets plenty of hate, than the other cards. It looks like good stuff, but it plays like combo.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

onering wrote:
3 years ago
Outcryqq wrote:
3 years ago
Those cards are all powerful and can really warp a game over time. With the exception of Palinchron being used to combo, you don't need to answer them immediately or lose.

Nyxbloom you need to answer immediately. The sheer amount of mana it craps out tends to just win the game. Its much more in line with Palinchron, which gets plenty of hate, than the other cards. It looks like good stuff, but it plays like combo.
I'd argue that you typically need to answer Avenger and Gisela about as fast as you do Nyxbloom (before they untap with it), as getting an attack step with either in play is usually pretty disastrous, on par with letting the Nyxbloom player untap with all that mana. So that's 4 out of 6 that need to be answered "immediately", which tracks with 7 CMC creatures needing to have a huge effect to be playable.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Nyxbloom Ancient is... a very powerful effect. Compared to Mana Reflection, I'd say that the biggest difference is how much easier it is to fetch and cheat out - green has a ton of tutors for creatures, or you can pair it with black for some easy reanimation. Like pretty much every other mana multiplier, it's definitely a kill-on-sight card. Paired with any mana sink (or X spell) and it will go out of control pretty quickly.

....of my decks, I think the only one that would be interested in running it would be Tasigur. Although, if I were running it, I'd probably also throw in Eldritch Evolution and Neoform - sacrificing Tasigur to fetch it just seems that good. Interestingly, I previously cut Regal Behemoth from that deck.... but in that case, it was related more to my deck being terrible at holding the crown, and less about a mana doubler on a creature being bad.

Still, I wouldn't necessarily say Nyxbloom Ancient is particularly egregious - it's just another pushed green card in a format full of them, and another item on the 'no, seriously WotC, stop pushing green' pile. After Once Upon a Time, Oko, Thief of Crowns, Veil of Summer, and all the other recent problem cards, I hope they've learned their lesson, but... Still, I would say that I would be significantly more afraid of a player untapping with Nyxbloom than I would be of them untapping with Avenger of Zendikar or Gisela, Blade of Goldnight - I can live through a turn or two of big attacks, but it's much more difficult to live through a person having access to three turn's worth of mana.

3drinks

Waiting for the end step of the player to my right so I can Dramatic Entrance < nyxbloom and accidentally the whole game.

Ugh. Now I feel dirty. Screw that, I'm going back to r where I can play fair things and out-think my opponents with Blood Moon and Ruination 👀

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

I don't think I have much new to say. To me this card looks like the posterchild for wotc "giving the EDH players what they want" - but I sure didn't want this sort of thing. "If I untap I win the game" cards are not interesting or fun imo.

I am at least glad they made it an enchantment since that makes it significantly more vulnerable to removal.

I don't think it's anything close to "the thing breaking EDH", more just another straw on the camel's back. With the sheer preponderance of dumb stuff like this that wotc prints, you've really got to go out of your way to avoid those cheap wins - which usually isn't something newer players are capable of or even interested in.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
I don't think I have much new to say. To me this card looks like the posterchild for wotc "giving the EDH players what they want" - but I sure didn't want this sort of thing. "If I untap I win the game" cards are not interesting or fun imo.
If everybody at WOTC could read this post I would be so happy.

In the last 2 years, I feel like there is an unending influx of superpowered cards. This just goes so over the top. The funny thing is that if was double mana, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference most of the time. You ever see a Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger or Mana Reflection come down and its caster be short on mana?

In any case, I really feel like all these designs for Commander players are too powerful for commander.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Dunharrow wrote:
3 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
3 years ago
If everybody at WOTC could read this post I would be so happy.

In the last 2 years, I feel like there is an unending influx of superpowered cards. This just goes so over the top. The funny thing is that if was double mana, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference most of the time. You ever see a Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger or Mana Reflection come down and its caster be short on mana?

In any case, I really feel like all these designs for Commander players are too powerful for commander.
Can confirm, when I had the Vorinclex deck in my rotation (yes, yes, I'm real fun at parties I know 😂), there was both that small window of opportunity to snipe him after my eight mana investment while at the same time, "if I can make 8, I can make 10". And it led to a very centralizing game where I'm just trying to turbo ramp over everything and assert my mana dominance. I don't miss the deck, either.

This was pre nyxbloom. Goodness, if I had that and could chain it into Vorinclex....RIP.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

There's not much to be said about the card that hasn't been said already. Admittedly I run it in Nissa, and it's bonkers, but that being said on it's own it just gives you resource. You do need something to pour it into to actually bring about victory.

I wouldn't call it broken, either. Being an enchantment and a creature gives your opponents plenty of identifying factors to make removal stick to it, so it's far from a done deal casting this even if you can untap with it. All this being said I also run Kamahl, Fist of Krosa, Squall Line and a couple of other mana sinks, for this as well as other big mana generators.

Is it pushed? Yeah, for sure. Did green need this level of resource generation? Not at all. Do I wish it hadn't been printed? Nah, it's not as bad as Selvala, Heart of the Wilds.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Friday, August 28th, 2020; The Theros Gods (that's Thassa, God of the Sea, Heliod, God of the Sun, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Nylea, God of the Hunt, Erebos, God of the Dead)

Ah, yes, the answer to the question "why is Deglamer so much better than Disenchant|parl?" Not all of these are created equal, despite them being a cycle. I'm still not convinced that Thassa is actually a good card either.

inb4 "Purphoros should be banned" comments.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

abel88

Post by abel88 » 3 years ago

Purphoros is by far and away the easiest to use its a very "oops i win type of card". It generally just ends the game if i play it in my Krenko, Mob Boss deck. I used to run Erebos as the general of my mono black deck but i have since relegated it to the 99 instead. Thassa is a fine value card, the scry is nice plus being able to help get damage through is a really nice option. The other two are just fine i guess? indestructable beaters that grant a keyword are never awful but the secondary effects dont seem impactful enough.

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

Erebos is my favourite! I'm just now creating my first commander deck but both versions of this gawd are shortlisted. I played plenty of Greed in casual over the years so I might be so familiar with THAT card that I'll never remember that THIS card can attack for five damage, but I still find it amazing!
sorta mad at magic right now

abel88

Post by abel88 » 3 years ago

Just be mindful of matchups. if you have a Firesong and Sunspeaker player in your pod you WILL be barbecued. I know from experience playing Erebos. Any lifegain based deck will immediately peg you as the archenemy

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
inb4 "Purphoros should be banned" comments.
I've played all of them as a general except Purphoros. I think I probably enjoyed Erebos the most, and Thassa was acceptable-ish.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”