Sefris of the Hidden Ways

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 2 years ago

When she comes out on mtgo, I'm very interested in building her, but I wanted to ask if anyone else had and if she ends up being relevant. I initially dismissed her because I thought her ability only triggered on your turn, but upon rereading I realized that it would be fairly easy to trigger her on every opponent's turn and speed run Tomb of Annihilation or Lost Mine every turn cycle in a 4 player game and she looked a lot more intriguing. The only issue is I built Varis and was really disappointed, because while the deck worked fine she ended up being irrelevant. Basically, going through a dungeon took to long, and the wolf she made didn't matter, as if I was triggering her regularly enough I was also spitting out enough creatures an elf balling enough for her to be irrelevant. I think the speed with which I could complete dungeons with Sefris, and her completed dungeon trigger being more impactful, makes her a lot more likely to be relevant, but sacrifice decks, which it would have to be to trigger her every single turn, can also just get out of hand easily and I want to make sure that building Sefris would result in a dungeon deck fueled by a sacrifice theme (and with some juicy targets for her to reanimate, either fatties or value critters) rather than a sacrifice deck with an incidental dungeon theme. Does anyone have experience with this deck that can let me know if it plays out in a way that Sefris and the dungeons are relevant?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

I built sefris as a multicolour discard deck around the dissention eidolon cycle (Aurora Eidolon and co). Mine ended up being pretty controlly, but you could run more proactive cards and strong reanimation targets instead. You're already discarding so ditching your targets is trivial,

Mine ended up being around an 8, maybe even 9 with optimisation. Sefris doing almost all the value generation.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 2 years ago

Interesting, I didn't consider the self discard route.

Ruiner
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ruiner » 2 years ago

A friend of mine has built a Sefris deck and I would definitely consider cycling as a part of the deck to some degree. There are some pretty decent cycling cards in WUB along with cycling synergy cards like Astral Slide, which can be nice for reusing ETB venture triggers.

The usual reanimator enablers like Buried Alive and Entomb are obviously pretty solid as well.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

onering wrote:
2 years ago
I wanted to ask if anyone else had and if she ends up being relevant.
I built a version that's strongly based around the ETB Venture triggers (Nadaar, Selfless Paladin, Displacer Beast, Cloister Gargoyle, etc.) along with ways to repeat the process (Thassa, Deep-Dwelling, Teleportation Circle, Ghostway/Eerie Interlude).

Sefris is almost always relevant; I have to chump block with many of these creatures, and the Create Undead ability is a pretty nice reward to tack onto the final room of each dungeon. I haven't yet drawn into my Tortured Existence, but I've had a fun Victimize loop with Archaeomancer.

I almost forgot: I actually posted it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”