[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
I've been holding off myself. Honestly, unless it suddenly gets an update that blows 10 out of the water, I am planning to ride the 10 for as long as I can.
at least it comes with a 10% performance reduction for using TPM :)

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

@pokken

I was in a position to reinstall my OS anyway so I decided to just go for Windows 11. And I have been running it for about a month now. For the most part everything is working fine. At first I thought I was having some issues with my Surround System but I think that actually ended up being more of a problem with trying to download nearly a terabyte of games after reinstalling so any time I watched something on YouTube, the sound would cut out a little. It is fine now though so I am not sure if me playing around with settings really did much or not.

However, with that being said, Windows 11 has a new "Clean" UI for Control Panel stuff like Windows 10 does but the setting to set the sound to Surround 7.1 doesn't work. Anytime I tried to set it to 7.1, it would revert to Stereo. I needed to go into the old menu to get it to actually switch.

I have also noticed that pasting shortcuts onto the desktop automatically puts them in the top left corner in the first open spot. Whereas Windows 10 would put the icon exactly where I right-clicked on the desktop.

There is a weird graphical thing if you maximize windows or double click at the top of a window when you have the cursor changed to the arrows (so it just "maximizes" vertically instead of the entire screen). I am not sure if it is intentional and I can't quite describe it but it looks weird. But only during the transition so nothing really that bad.

I am getting used to the new start menu and I actually sort of like it so that is a plus.

One thing I couldn't stand, and which almost had me go back to Windows 10, is that the control over the taskbar is severely reduced. I like my taskbar on the right side of my screen. Windows 11 does not allow this to be changed. I also like every window to be its own entity on the taskbar. Windows 11 automatically combines everything and you can't prevent them from combining. I already hate when functionality is removed because the "company" thinks they know what users should be doing. Not what the users want; what they think is best so they force it upon the users.

But I found a program that restores the Windows 10 taskbar functionality. Not ideal since I shouldn't have to do that, but it works the way I want it to work.

Also worth noting (and this is a rant about the Microsoft Store and not Windows 11 specifically): the reason I needed to redownload everything is because I have a drive specifically for games. It is not tied to the OS. Steam and Ubisoft will let me point the download folder to there and just scan for installed games without making me redownload everything. Microsoft does not. Instead, it creates folders which cannot be deleted because of how they create them but then I can't set the install folder to that same location in the new OS install because it sees there is already something there. It is %$#% %$#%$#% and trying to deal with it took me the most time out of everything.

So, I ended up reformatting the drive entirely and then creating a separate partition just for Microsoft games so the next time I need to reinstall, I only need to redownload Microsoft games (which at the time was only Minecraft though I do have a few more now). This keeps my other games safe from Microsoft's %$#%.

Oh, and a final thing: I did need to enable something in my Bios to get it to install. I know it was related to TPM but I don't remember the exact setting I needed to enable (or maybe disable) to get it to work. Just be aware that might come up.

But, other than that, I have had basically no problems with Windows 11. There aren't really enough new features that I use to say that I needed to upgrade but I am not really upset that I did and I have no plans to go back to Windows 10. Just be aware of a few relatively minor annoyances if you decide to go through with the install.

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 2 years ago

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Honestly, unless it suddenly gets an update that blows 10 out of the water, I am planning to ride the 10 for as long as I can.
That's what I did for XP, even for a full year after they stopped supporting it. Good times.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Never update until forced.

pokken

WizardMN wrote:
2 years ago
I like my taskbar on the right side of my screen.
What the actual fork :P I thought I was the only one who did that, I get weird looks from everyone.
taskbar.jpg
Thanks for the detailed feedback as well. I've been a left monitor right side taskbar person for just about ever. :)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

My desktop can't upgrade due to an issue with the processor and tpm iirc
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Anyone upgraded to win11 yet? :P
Been rolling with Win11 ever since October 2021 and never had any problems.

It's not much different from Win10 and so far i only had 4 things that bug me:
- Win11 doesn't show remaining battery time in the status bar anymore (apparently they found it too inaccurate and dropped it)
- you can only move the taskbar to the top via registry edits
- the new start menu leaves a big empty gap if you don't use the "recommended" section
- I didn't like the Win10 settings app, but i hate the Win11 settings app (they shouldve never moved on from the Control Panel)

Overall i don't regret upgrading and wouldn't go through the motions of downgrading.
Rolling with Win10 until they stop giving it updates seems perfectly viable.

pokken

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
My desktop can't upgrade due to an issue with the processor and tpm iirc
I was able to get tpm on in the bios. Worth a check. It isn't called tpm tho it's something different depending on your chip maker.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Anyone upgraded to win11 yet? :P Kinda iffy about the idea of having to reinstall everything and deal with all that crap especially if it might go south.
I have upgraded to win11 a couple of months ago. Everything works like a charm so far. Only thing i don't like is the "simplest" right click menu which still confuses me.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 2 years ago

Windows? Hssssss! Kill it with fire!

I upgraded to Linux Mint some time back after Windows 7 (a.k.a. the last good Windows version IMHO) bricked itself twice via the registry and forced me to reinstall. I can vouch for it being an upgrade, too. I briefly had a Windows 10 partition on a new prebuilt computer (whose minimal customizability even compared to 7 drove me up the wall) that I used for games which didn't run well under WINE. One of those was Divinity: Original Sin 2. Well, with some WINE updates, it could run there, so I installed it on the Linux partition of the same machine. Understand, I'm talking the same hardware, except the Mint hard drive was older and had been swapped over from a previous machine with no changes whatsoever. Start up load times went from 4-5 minutes on Windows to 5-10 seconds on Linux. Think about that a moment. A Windows program ran better on Linux with a compatibility layer than on Windows, strictly based on the software. Madness.

Also, Linux is completely free, is eminently customizable wherever you want it to be, and is, as of recently, a lot more newbie-friendly than you might expect from its reputation. Mint in particular makes the switch for former Windows users extremely easy and painless, and there are similar distros to make the switch from Apple machines painless as well, I understand. Don't even need any familiarity or comfort with the command line at all anymore. Would wholeheartedly recommend.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

pokken

Jemolk wrote:
2 years ago
Windows? Hssssss! Kill it with fire!

I upgraded to Linux Mint some time back after Windows 7 (a.k.a. the last good Windows version IMHO) bricked itself twice via the registry and forced me to reinstall. I can vouch for it being an upgrade, too. I briefly had a Windows 10 partition on a new prebuilt computer (whose minimal customizability even compared to 7 drove me up the wall) that I used for games which didn't run well under WINE. One of those was Divinity: Original Sin 2. Well, with some WINE updates, it could run there, so I installed it on the Linux partition of the same machine. Understand, I'm talking the same hardware, except the Mint hard drive was older and had been swapped over from a previous machine with no changes whatsoever. Start up load times went from 4-5 minutes on Windows to 5-10 seconds on Linux. Think about that a moment. A Windows program ran better on Linux with a compatibility layer than on Windows, strictly based on the software. Madness.

Also, Linux is completely free, is eminently customizable wherever you want it to be, and is, as of recently, a lot more newbie-friendly than you might expect from its reputation. Mint in particular makes the switch for former Windows users extremely easy and painless, and there are similar distros to make the switch from Apple machines painless as well, I understand. Don't even need any familiarity or comfort with the command line at all anymore. Would wholeheartedly recommend.
I have done freebsd/linux/aix/solaris administration (mostly AIX oddly enough, but trending Linux now) work for so long that you would think I'd be more supportive of Linux as a desktop OS, I just find it so tedious still. There's always at least one dumb thing that doesn't work.

Having used MacOS for work a lot now I think I could make that switch but I hate laptops and they don't offer a tower under $6000 (?? what even is that:P).

I might give it another shot now that vscode is available on Linux and I almost can't play video games due to advanced age. Maybe it'll be tolerable if I don't have to worry about gaming.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

No love for Ubuntu? I remember my mom used to bring home PCs from work (she was a big shot at a certain local, extremely well-financed private university) and I can still recall my total panic when I started one up and found myself face-to-face with an OS that was cryptic, unfamiliar, and had no interest whatsoever in allowing me to play my cherished, catscratched copy of Lego Racers.

After that, I've had a somewhat irrational fear of all non-windows operating systems and specifically Ubuntu. Admittedly though, after writing this I am tempted to download it anyway and run it as an alternate OS just to see if 27yo me can finally decipher what 7yo me could not.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Now that Microsoft is empire-building again, I wonder if alternative-OS hipsterism is going to come back. I remember the Linux users were a substantial part of nerd culture in the 90's and 00's.

Hermes_

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Now that Microsoft is empire-building again, I wonder if alternative-OS hipsterism is going to come back. I remember the Linux users were a substantial part of nerd culture in the 90's and 00's.
A couple of days ago on a discord someone actually typed out Micro$oft and I typed in response "The 90s called and want their insult back" then there was the movie Antitrust lol

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
27yo me can finally decipher what 7yo me could not.
I guess it's just the cowboy aesthetic but I always assumed you were at least 45.

I generally assume everyone older than me a senile geezer and everyone younger than me is a clueless baby :teach: Lucky me, I'm always the perfect age.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
I guess it's just the cowboy aesthetic but I always assumed you were at least 45.

I generally assume everyone older than me a senile geezer and everyone younger than me is a clueless baby :teach: Lucky me, I'm always the perfect age.
This is why no one likes you :P

I just read a thread over on reddit, where this woman (the op) had her Relentless Rats deck basically banned by the rest of the group it's jerks like that give the game a bad name.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
I just read a thread over on reddit, where this woman (the op) had her Relentless Rats deck basically banned by the rest of the group it's jerks like that give the game a bad name.

Fookin gatekeepers can go dive into Portable Holes head first!

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago

This is why no one likes you :P

A rat deck. :rofl: I this group needs someone to explain... lots of things to them. Heck, I want to make a rat deck now.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

pokken

I think they're going about it wrong and obviously seem to have ulterior motives but if I never saw another thrumming stone gimmick deck it would be fine with me.

Hey guys did you know I tutors for thrumming stone and make rats hope you have a sweeper or removal for stone. Oh you removed it now I will pout and pout.

Hermes_

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I think they're going about it wrong and obviously seem to have ulterior motives but if I never saw another thrumming stone gimmick deck it would be fine with me.

Hey guys did you know I tutors for thrumming stone and make rats hope you have a sweeper or removal for stone. Oh you removed it now I will pout and pout.
I swing with all 28 rats at everyone...response?

P1: Fog
me: :omg:

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

Maybe they just don't like her and they're handling it in the worst way possible.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Nope. Just another late-twenties chainsmoker with a great fondness for spaghetti Westerns. Wouldn't mind being 18 years closer to retirement though...
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

wildfire393

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

We're having Infinitoken's creator on the stream this coming week, so I'm gonna build a deck with a bunch of goofy and weird tokens (with Garth One-Eye at the head). So suggest me your favorite stupid token generator!

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

[Dance of the Many]], Homarid Spawning Bed, Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper, Hazezon Tamar, Jungle Patrol, Ovinomancer, Spiny Starfish, Wall of Kelp Are some of my favorite token makers as most of them don't have tokens that exist in paper.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

How about any creature?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”